Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-03-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

ESPN Power Rankings

Let's hope we can keep it up! I'm going to the Utah game on Sat., sitting on row AA, section 101!!! Gonna raise some hell!
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2001, 04:46 PM   #2
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Meanwhile over at cnn/si, Dallas actually drops from 7th to 8th. While Portland doesn't move from 6 and the kings rise from 5 to 2. I'm not actually arguing the kings ranking but how do they rise 3 in a week we beat them and we fall 2? Its not like we lost to New Jersey or even New York in that period.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Hey! I'm out of newbie status [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 05:09 PM   #4
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Power rankings don't mean squat. The Mavs are #5 in the West, according to the rankings that count. Wins and losses.
Old 04-03-2001, 05:20 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs ranked ahead of the Fakers and Spazz..gotta love that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 07:38 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Check out the only ratings system without a media bias: The Sagarin computer rankings. Right now, the Mavs are fourth, a little bit behind the Jazz.

Computer Rankings
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 07:50 AM   #7
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I like that computer rankings system, very interesting. I noticed that our record looks really bad vs. the Top 10 teams. However, I our team has significantly changed with the addition of Howard and Booth. WIth those two guys added, we have been a serious playoff terror. Too bad you can't look at rating AFTER they joined.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:56 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Actually the ratings are wieghted more towards "recent play". How recent, I'm not sure. It is interesting that the Lakers are only the eight best in recent games - also the "recent games" rating does not take into account the strength of teams that the Mavs have beaten. It would certainly be much higher if that was taken into account.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:18 PM   #9
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

all that matters to me is the W-L column
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 08:31 PM   #10
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Yeah, rankings mean nothing to alot of people. If rankings were a legitimate way to show how well a team is playing, well, we would never be bitching about college football's lack of a play off system (Miami would have waxed OU, just thought I'd throw in my two cents). Like most of the fellow mavs freaks in here, the only rank that matters is the rank in the standings.