Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-30-2003, 12:28 AM   #1
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default WTH is Nebraska thinking? Solich fired.

WHAT A DUMBASS MOVE! I GUESS 9-3 WASN"T GOOD ENOUGH?

OMAHA, Neb. -- Nebraska football coach Frank Solich was fired Saturday night after winning more than 75 percent of his games over six seasons but failing to keep the Cornhuskers as the national powerhouse they were under Tom Osborne.

The Omaha World-Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star reported on their Web sites that athletic director Steve Pederson decided to fire Solich, who went 9-3 this season.

Solich's daughter, Cindy Dalton, confirmed the firing to KMTV in Omaha.

"Steve called my dad in at 7:30 this evening. And my dad walked in the room and Steve told him that he was no longer head coach at the University of Nebraska," Dalton said.

She said that her father is disappointed and is concerned about the future of his assistant coaches.

Pinnacle Sports Network, the rights holder for Nebraska radio broadcasts, reported that first-year defensive coordinator Bo Pelini would be the interim head coach. The Cornhuskers are eligible to play in a bowl game this season.

Nebraska spokespeople Chris Anderson and Keith Mann did not immediately return telephone messages left by The Associated Press late Saturday.

Solich took over after Osborne retired after the 1997 season. The Cornhuskers won at least a share of the national title in three of Osborne's final four seasons.

Solich was 42-9 in his first four seasons. He was Big 12 coach of the year in 1999 and 2001, won the '99 conference title and his team played for the national championship after the '01 season.

But Solich's success was downplayed because critics said he won with players recruited by Osborne.

The Cornhuskers went 7-7 in 2002 -- the team's worst season since 1961 -- and struggled against quality opponents this season.

Their three losses all were by more than 17 points, capped by a 38-9 loss to Kansas State -- Nebraska's worst at home since 1958 -- in the final home game of the season.

Solich's record for his six seasons was 58-19.

The last Nebraska head football coach to be fired was Bill Jennings, who was removed and replaced by Bob Devaney in 1962.

bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2003, 01:29 AM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WTH is Nebraska thinking? Solich fired.

This was a good move for Nebraska. Recruiting has suffered under Solich, and after the disastrous last two seasons of Nebraska football, it was high time for a change...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:WTH is Nebraska thinking? Solich fired.

This move represents everything wrong with athletics......

All the guy did was win at a high percentage, get his players to attend class and give a crap and he is rewarded by being fired? If he had lost 7 games or so it is one thing, but firing a coach over a personal conflict is another. The NU AD should be fired.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"hi welcum ta Nebraski...were nott too brite"....
winning=loss of job.....ummmmm, remind me never to work for them!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

They want another Tom Osbourne, but luckily for my team (UT) that will never happen
Old 11-30-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: WTH is Nebraska thinking? Solich fired.

Solich will land on his feet. Many top programs would love to have him I'm sure.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

My guess is Solich retires. He has been all about Nebraska football for 30 plus years. Kinda hard to go to another school after that long.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

You have to understand something about Nebraska football...it is the #1 sporting entity in the entire state of Nebraska. And nothing less than the Sugar Bowl would have been acceptable this year. I know, it's nuts, but that's the way it is there. They simply don't have anything bigger there.

Personally, I'd take Creighton basketball over Nebraska football any day if I lived in NEB, but hey, thats just me.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Look last year he was 7-7 not aceptable for a big time program like Nebraksa. It lost to every team it was chasing for the big 12 crown Missouri, Texas and Kansas St. Not to mention it got humiliated at home to K.St.

9-3 is good for most schools except those that are buying for a National Championship. Don't let the amatuer label fool you AD's are into money and winning just as much as that of his pro sports bretheren.

Everyone in town would be screaming if Texas lost 3 games let alone 7. The year before Solich got their they won the National Championship. Its time for a change in philosophy for the Big Red.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
bogey
Banned

Osbourn had plenty of off years....he coached there forever. The AD had a chubby to fire Solich. It's a crock of BS no matter how it gets spun.