Old 08-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Lucas III leaving Baylor

Looks like John Lucas won't be coaching Baylor after all

Lucas III granted release from Baylor
02:33 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 13, 2003

By STEVE DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Baylor starting guard John Lucas III said Wednesday he has received his release from the school, joining at least three other top players who are free to explore possible transfers to other schools.

Also Wednesday, prized recruit Harvey Thomas, an incoming junior college transfer who had previously said that he planned to remain at Baylor, now appears to be wavering.

On Tuesday, Baylor named a six-person search committee to begin identifying candidates to replace basketball coach Dave Bliss and athletic director Tom Stanton. The committee will report to Baylor president Robert B. Sloan Jr.

Larry Brumley, Baylor's associate vice president for external affairs, said Wednesday the search committee would be in daily contact, either in person or by teleconference.

Lucas is the fourth player at least to have been granted his official release, along with star forward Lawrence Roberts, junior guard Kenny Taylor and incoming freshman Tyrone Nelson.

Baylor, which has self-imposed a two-year probation and a one-year ban on post-season play for the men’s basketball program, told the players the school would grant releases to any member of the team who requested it. Baylor also has promised to lobby the NCAA to waive the rule requiring athletes to sit out one year after transferring to another NCAA Division I school.

Bliss resigned Aug. 8 after admitting to involvement in improper payments to players.

Stanton also resigned but will continue in his role until a replacement is named.

Lucas, a junior guard, is working out in Houston with his father, former Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Lucas, and with Roberts, Baylor’s pre-season Wooden All-American.

Lucas said he’s been concentrating on working out and has yet to sit down with his father to discuss all the options.

“Right now, it’s still more like a shock to everybody,” he said. “The whole thing, it’s like, it can’t be happening. It’s like it's a movie. It’s all crazy.

“But I know I’ll have to figure things out sometime soon, because school starts in a couple of weeks.”

Classes begin at Baylor on Aug. 25, but players have up to 12 days from that point to enroll, Sloan has told them.

Lucas III said he has not talked to Roberts about his plans.

Lucas III did say that Baylor’s self-imposed ban on post-season play, which includes the Big 12 Conference Tournament in Dallas, will weigh significantly in his upcoming decision.

“One of the most enjoyable parts of playing [college basketball] is the conference tournament,” he said. “I love playing in the tournament, that whole week. If you lose, you’re out. If you win, you keep going. It’s exciting. I love every minute of it. For someone to tell me I can’t go this year, that’s hard to take.

“Hopefully in a couple day of days, I’ll have a better idea of what I wan to do.”

John Lucas, a popular choice among Baylor players and fans to replace Dave Bliss as the Bears coach, said Tuesday that he remained focused on helping his son choose a path. He declined to comment on whether he has officially been contacted by Baylor.

“We’re trying to listen and learn,” Lucas said. “My concern is him [his son]. Once I help him decide what he needs to do, then I can go forward from there and talk about my situation.”

Meanwhile, Thomas says he wants to go to school and play basketball at Baylor this year as planned. But he’s not ruling out a decision to go elsewhere.

“Right now, I’m staying,’’ Thomas said. As things gets serious, if we start losing too many people and I don’t have anyone to play with, then I have to find a place to go. But I really want to stay.”

Dallas Morning News staff writer Rana Cash contributed to this report.

E-mail stevedavis@dallasnews.com
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Post death penalty, 2 things killed SMU football. The first were the draconian recruiting restrictions placed on SMU by its own administration.

But second was the ability of any coach to walk onto SMU's campus immediately following the death penalty announcement and recruit existing SMU players without penalty. I hope Baylor's basketball program survives this.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dooby.

One point: The administration has given every player their release so that they can legally and within NCAA rules speak to other programs. It does not mean they are leaving. The most likely to leave is Lawrence Roberts, but even he is saying that he is just looking around right now. So the headline for this post is very much off base. That said, it would not surprise me to see several guys leave. Several however have already said they are staying...even though they were given official releases.

It's strictly a procedural move.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Well, that is what the NCAA said to SMU. And darn near everybody left. I think about 10 stayed. If you look at it from the player's perspective, their coach is gone, the team is in complete disarray and they have no postseason play. So much uncertainty, I expect most will at least consider leaving.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lucas III leaving Baylor

this does suck for baylor, but c'mon, is the no post-season play thing really going to affect them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I've actually spoken to a couple of them. At the recent team meeting, they all talked about sticking it out. I would not blame a single one for leaving, but I hope they stay.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Baylor is a complete mess right now.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Not at all. Baylor is fine. baylor basketball may be a mess but Baylor is on sound footing and at the end of the day....that is all that matters.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Not at all. Baylor is fine. baylor basketball may be a mess but Baylor is on sound footing and at the end of the day....that is all that matters.

Yea sorry about that. The basketball program is in a mess is what I should've said.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:05 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

No problem. I pretty much knew what you meant. Truth be told, the politics on campus are getting a little messy.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:12 AM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
No problem. I pretty much knew what you meant. Truth be told, the politics on campus are getting a little messy.
If it is anything like SMU, I assume the faculty is making a power grab. Bear in mind, the death penalty hurt SMU. But it was the self-imposed maddening restrictions placed on recruiting that did that most damage.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

The faculty are split in their support of the president and were so way before the basketball fiasco came to light. Old faculty don't like his aggressive views to the future. Young faculty love it. Of course there are exceptions on both sides, but it has been this way for while. Now that the basketball thing has occurred, some are in fact making it an agenda item. Very unfortunate. I hate that kind of politics. Fortunately, love him or hate him, the president always seems to bring us back to our mission. Maybe we are a little unique because of that. I think he is a fanstastic leader and it would be a colossal mistake for him to leave.

Justy my $0.02.