Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cowboys set sights on Staley

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

One year ago, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones decided against pursuing Stephen Davis in free agency.

As it turned out, it was one of Jones' worst personnel decisions.

Davis gained 1,444 yards and averaged 4.5 yards per carry for a Carolina Panthers team that shocked the NFL by advancing to the Super Bowl. Troy Hambrick, meanwhile, managed a pedestrian 972 yards and 3.5 yards per attempt for a Cowboys squad that lost 29-10 to the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

In that playoff game, Davis finished with 104 yards while Hambrick picked up only 29.

"We had an opportunity last year, and we thought we were in better shape than we were," Jones said earlier this month at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "Obviously, now, we need a running back."

With roughly $8 million to spend, the Cowboys will enter free agency next week determined not to miss out on another opportunity to land a true workhorse back.

Jones and coach Bill Parcells are expected to sign five or six solid players, none of whom will command big bucks. In addition to running back, the Cowboys have needs at right tackle, cornerback and backup quarterback.

Among the backs who will become unrestricted free agents when the NFL's free-agency period begins Wednesday are Duce Staley (Philadelphia), Garrison Hearst (San Francisco) and Houston alumnus Antowain Smith (New England). Cowboys insiders say Parcells is interested in Staley because of his ability to excel on third and short as a runner or a receiver.

If Dallas misses out on a chance to gain Staley, they will probably still pursue a running back via free agency, Jones has indicated.

"The running back position is a perfect example of, if you have an opportunity in free agency that will improve your flexibility in the draft, you take it, and that is kind of our plan," Jones said. "I don't want to get specific with who we are targeting, but you can generally know we will have an opportunity."

The Cowboys, who finished 10-7 last season, have four players set to become unrestricted free agents next week — defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban, cornerback Mario Edwards, center Gennaro DiNapoli and kick returner Michael Bates.

If Edwards leaves — and it appears that Dallas isn't too interested in retaining him — the Cowboys will probably look to sign a free-agent cornerback rather than draft one. The thinking there is that pairing a rookie with second-year cornerback Terence Newman would be a disaster for a team that wants to win now.

Even with such stalwarts as Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister and Charles Woodson removed from consideration because of either trades or "franchise player" designations, the pool of unrestricted free-agent cornerbacks is deep. A dozen will be available, including nine who started nearly all of last season. Included among those nine are Fernando Bryant (Jacksonville) Ahmed Plummer (San Francisco), Shawn Springs (Seattle), Bobby Taylor (Philadelphia) and Troy Vincent (Philadelphia).

Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said the team will tender contracts to its nine restricted free agents — defensive tackle Willie Blade, linebacker Markus Steele, wide receiver Randal Williams, safety Lynn Scott, center Matt Lehr, tackle Javiar Collins, tight end James Whalen and running backs Aveion Cason and Hambrick.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Cowboys set sights on Staley

doubtful. the guy has a pathetic yards per carry average. his YPC makes hambrick look like walter payton.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Cowboys set sights on Staley

We should have got Stephen Davis last season. I do not mind having Staley as long as he backs up a running back we get from the draft. Texans got a great RB in the draft (Domanick Davis).
Old 02-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

i think travis henry would be worth a #22 or whatever the cowboys pick is. that's just me. cuz its doubtful the top 2 rbs will drop that far to cowboys.

that or sign a veteran like staley for CHEAP and draft someone in round 2.

i'd take the 2nd option anyday. but staley better not be the only new addition to the backfield or else that'd piss me off
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:06 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Duce wouldn't be a bad fit since Bill likes the looks that a RB by committe approach can give. It just keeps guys fresh and makes the defense scheme for more options. In that scenario, I think Duce is a good - not great - player. He's just solid and does a lot of the little things well. I'm sure that those qualities would endear him to Bill.

I have also heard that Dominic Rhodes might be the RB coming in. He's another guy who could be a good fit by sharing time with a drafted RB.

And I do think, no matter who is signed, that a RB is drafted on the first day of the draft.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:45 AM   #6
Kid California

Kid California is on a distinguished road

1st Round Backs: Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, and Kevin Jones.
2nd Round Backs: Julius Jones, Maurice Clarett,Greg Jones,
3rd Round Backs: Tatum Bell, Quincy Wilson and Ced Cobbs.
4th Round Backs: Michael Turner, Mewelde Moore
5th Round Backs: Shaud Williams, Adimchinobe Echemandu

Defensive Ends
1st Round: Udeze, Will Smith, and Antwaan Odom.
2nd Round: Marquise Hill
3rd Round:Adibi, jason Babin
4th round: Isaac Hilton, Shaun Phillips, Laboy
5th Round:

Defensive Tackle
1st Round: Tommie Harris, Randy Starks, Dwan Edwards, Darnell Dockett,
2nd Round: Lavalais from LSU, Donnell Washington, Matthias Askew,
3rd Round: DeMarco McNiel, Auburnigor Olshansky, Rodney Lesile,Marcus Tubbs,
4th Round:Jordan Carstens,Junior Siavii, Amon Gordon, Tim Anderson,
5th Round:

I think these are the three major concerns.

My picks:

Round 1. DE Odom or DT Starks
Round 2. If Starks is taken, then Marquise Hill. If Odom, Donnell Washington, doubt he will drop that far though.
Round 3. A rb that dropped or Tatum Bell(guy is fast).
Round 4. DE Hilton(small school guy) or DE Laboy, a CB
Round 5. Best Player Available

Kid California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dominic Rhodes would be a star if he didn't play behind James. I wouldn't mind Rhodes.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Dominic Rhodes would be a star if he didn't play behind James. I wouldn't mind Rhodes.
I'm with you. I really like Rhodes. If he's healthy - and he looked like he was - I think he could be a real sleeper in free agency this offseason. I'm hoping that the Colts have to let him go to afford Manning.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

i haven't seen rhodes play. but i'd take him and michael turner in 2nd and see what both can do.

i think rhodes could be good
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
ddh33
Platinum Member

Turner is very solidly built. On top of that, he can fly. Supposedly, he runs about a 4.4. With his frame and mass at about 230, that's great. There were also rumors that he ran his 10 yard dash really quickly. I always like that measurement since you need a back to get through a hole quick. There are some questions about his vision though. I wouldn't complain if we got him though...Come to think of it, I wouldn't complain no matter who Bill picks. I have a lot of confidence in his direction.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #11
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
doubtful. the guy has a pathetic yards per carry average. his YPC makes hambrick look like walter payton.
his ypc average was 4.8 last year
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #12
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

I think Staley would be a great fit in this system. Hambrick can be a goal line back or we can just flat out release his sorry ass.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote