Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fantasy FF Draft Advice Needed

I draft at 10pm tonight in my most serious FF league ($100+ a team). We did a random draw a couple weeks ago to set the draft order, and I lucked into getting the number one spot. I've been participating in some mock drafts online and getting a feel for what others are doing, but those mocks haven't been all that consistent. Hoping you guys can give me some feedback based on our league's settings.

We start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, a flex W/R, TE, PK, and DEF.

We are doing 25 passing yards per point, 10 receiving and rushing yards. A full 6 points for passing TD's (as well as receiving and rushing). Importantly, this is a PPR league. Minus 2 points for INT's, everything else pretty standard. This is a ten-tem league, and not a keeper league.

Obviously I am taking LT first. My initial strategy was to look for two stud WR's at 20 and 21. In a few online mocks, I was ending up with two of (Steve Smith, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne). A couple times, though, Edgerrin James fell to me there and I felt like I had to take him.

Question: What you do if you had 20 and 21? Given that you already have LT, would you look to fill up your WR's even if your favorite two guys aren't there? If that is your plan, how good a running back has to fall to you to make your change your mind? Is Edge James enough? Or are you looking for a second RB anyway?

Question: If you are like me and you expect Carson Palmer to have a HUGE season, would you at all consider taking him at 20 or 21? My initial strategy was to wait and hope I could snag Marc Bulger at 40 or 41. Couple times it didn't turn out that way, though, and I ended up waiting a long time, for Alex Smith or Matt Leinart, both of whom I like...but they aren't Carson Palmer.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above. Basically, I'm just torn on what positions to take at 20 and 21 and 40 and 41. I'd kinda like to go LT, then WR and WR, then RB and QB...IF I could end up with no QB worse than Bulger (or maybe McNabb).

Thanks for the tips you can provide!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm also curious how you rate the top WR's this year. I've always been a huge Steve Smith fan, but I'm reading things about him that are all over the board. I struggle with this one and routinely change my mind, but as of now this is probably how I would rank them:

Steve Smith
Terrell Owens
Torry Holt
Chad Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Marvin Harrison
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of the player rankings I've seen the last 2 weeks have Chad Johnson a bit higher than that (at least above Holt). But I think you're right about Smith.

And personally, I like Marvin Harrison more than that, but I don't know if his numbers support it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

I've been reaing some things that say Wayne is ready to pass Harrison, starting now. But it's very, very difficult to overlook Harrison's great consistency the last several seasons.

But honestly, I'm a little worried that Indy's offensive prowess may taper off a bit this year. It's so difficult to predict!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

go with steve smith, or chad johnson if they are available. TO isn't bad, i think he will blow up this year now that romo and him have a year under their belts.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

That was the craziest draft I've ever been a part of. QB's were FLYING off the board. My head was spinning. I ended up going RB with the top three. Will post the results in a bit.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

Okay, it went like this:

LT (me)
Jackson
Gore
Manning (!)
Addai
LJ
Parker
Alexander
Palmer (I didn't know if even ONE QB would be gone yet!)
Rudi

R2

Brady (wow)
Westbrook
Bulger (wow)
Bush
Maroney
McNabb (wow)
Henry
Brees (QB's dropping like flies!)
Jones-Drew

and now back to me...

I wanted two receivers here, but now I'm looking at three of the top 16 RB's still on the board: Ronnie Brown, Edge James, and Willis McGahee. I think long and hard and take two of them

Ronnie Brown (me)

R3

Edge James (me)
Steve Smith
McGahee
Harrison
TO
Brandon Jacobs
Chad Johnson
Portis
MB3
Ced Benson

R4

Reggie Wayne
TJ Housh
Holt
Fitzgerald
Adrian Peterson
Ahman Green
Carnell Williams
Roy Williams
Marques Colston

and now back to me...

I had planned to get either two elite WR's, or an elite WR and Carson Palmer, and here I am, stuck with three top RB's. I decide to stick with elite and go ahead and draft Antonio Gates. Now I pick between Randy Moss and Andre Johnson and Anquan Boldin. I gamble on Moss.

My team:

LT
Ronnie Brown
Edge James
Antonio Gates
Randy Moss
Ladell Betts
Calvin Johnson
Jon Kitna
Darrell Jackson
Jerricho Cotchery
Mark Clayton
Eli Manning
Michael Turner
Green Bay
Patrick Crayton

The whole thing was screwy!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Not that I have much of anything to add to this conversation, but what do you guys think of this team in a 10 team league, same scoring as chum's league pretty much? 2 of my picks (julius jones and bulger were autopicks due to a mouse issue in the middle of a live draft - argh!). Feels a little weird having 6 RB's, but for the players available at the time of picks, I think I can make some good trades down the line to a RB starved team. We can play 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 receiver or running back, 1 TE, 1 defense, 1 PK.

w parker
b westbrook
l fitzgerald
m lynch
j jones
m bulger
b edwards
m muhammad
j norwood
i bruce
m schaub
r mcmichael
chris brown (tenn)
New orleans
s graham (cin)
b stokley
jason campbell
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

that draft was very unconvential lol

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Chum you did the absolute right thing taking three running backs with your first three picks, although I think you're going to regret taking Edge over McGahee.

And I definitely would've taken Boldin over Moss.

But you're looking good based on those first few rounds. I always love to see a good run of QB's in the second round.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Chum you did the absolute right thing taking three running backs with your first three picks, although I think you're going to regret taking Edge over McGahee.

And I definitely would've taken Boldin over Moss.

But you're looking good based on those first few rounds. I always love to see a good run of QB's in the second round.
Lol, this is exactly what I was going to say.

You did a good job in the draft with your first three picks, but I would also have taken McGahee and Boldin.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
My team:

LT
Ronnie Brown
Edge James
Antonio Gates
Randy Moss
Ladell Betts
Calvin Johnson
Jon Kitna
Darrell Jackson
Jerricho Cotchery
Mark Clayton
Eli Manning
Michael Turner
Green Bay
Patrick Crayton

The whole thing was screwy!
so you're going to move RBs for WRs? I doubt you'll get the value you want...but I'd be interested in be kept up to date with how this league keeps evolving.

Kitna could blow up this season...but I am weary on Calvin Johnson...he is going to be their third option behind RW, and Flurry (sp?). Gates is great, but how much greater than Heap, Whitten, Schocky, TG, or V. Davis this year? I wonder.

keep us updated on trade offers you get or make

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote