Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I heard them talking about this on the radio last week. It seems that back in the good ol' days of the 60's, the linemen were in the 250-260 pound range, on average. Nowadays, the linemen are 300 pounds plus. The Cowboys have a couple over 400 pounds. What's the deal? Has the population as a whole gotten that much bigger or is it just the NFL? Some say steriods, but don't they test for that? If it's steroids, why aren't they suspended or somesuch?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Would steoids mak you FAT. Have you seen Gibson, he's FAT. If it is muscle, I'm sure there's plenty of legal supplements that get the job done and the fact that training and diets have improved greatly aid to the growth in players
Old 08-03-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know, but the amazing thing is the speed. I played college football and at 6'4" 260 I was running a 5 second 40. And I was considered to be a pretty big guy back then with good speed. I wouldn't make the top 20-30 in size on todays teams (esp. since I am down in the lower 200's now). Today, guys that are 6'8" and 370 are running 4.7 40's. I think a lot of it has to do with youth development programs that are available now which were not when I was growing up. I am not overlooking steroids etc because they are undoubtedly a part of many players development, but kids today are bigger than they were 10, 20 and 30 years ago.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 05:10 PM   #4
David
Golden Member

<< I am not overlooking steroids etc because they are undoubtedly a part of many players development, but kids today are bigger than they were 10, 20 and 30 years ago. >>

Why are kids today bigger? Is it genetic? Why all of a sudden? That's what I am wondering. You don't see them on the street, in the average population but you surely see them around football teams.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion it is better nutrition and more sophisticated training techniques. Weight-lifting also has added a lot since that hasn't always been the case for youngsters.

I also think that large kids are identified earlier and a lot of incentive to play sports.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:44 AM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

hormones in milk.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

David, this is an interesting topic.
I did a quick search at google, here's a couple points I found:

basketball players are getting heavier, too
(http://www.southjerseynews.com/mille...il081500h.html)

Americans in general getting heavier:
(http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/...anagement.html
from http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcount.html)

I imagine that better training and earlier intensive training also helps kids develop, and to stay healthy longer.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #8
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Its a combination of all the above.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:31 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that professional athletes train year round now. Up until the 80's most athletes had to have a second job during the offseason.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Really good point. They used to have training camp just to get in shape. Now they come in after having pumped iron all year.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 08-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

Of course they are also probably taking performance enhancing drugs that are undetectable just like those tour de france cyclists. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 08:15 PM   #12
David
Golden Member

<< Of course they are also probably taking performance enhancing drugs that are undetectable just like those tour de france cyclists. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] >>

There is some truth in that.