Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2003, 11:37 PM   #321
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doc, one thing we have to remember is that dirk is playing near an MVP level right now.. how old is he? 25?
bird was 2-3 years out of college.

let's keep that in perspective..dirk hasn't reached his prime but he's already playing near an MVP level. he hasn't reached his prime by any means..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2003, 11:39 PM   #322
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Dirk was hot. Why didn't they give him the ball in the post more?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #323
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Murph- that was my point. At this point in Birds career, he had the benefit of more experience. Dirk is still learnigna nd is at the top of the NBA. And we all know he hasn't shown us his best yet. He will be one of the greatest to ever play this game.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:49 PM   #324
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

david, the question you should be asking is this...

why did it take so long for the mavs to decide to go to dirk down low like they did tonight?

is he just now getting to the point to where he's efficient down low? No.
This should have been occuring a long time ago..well over a year ago
Old 04-19-2003, 11:57 PM   #325
Drbio
Banned

Maybe Nellie held it back in his bag of tricks and he is unleashing it on the league in the playoffs?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:59 PM   #326
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< why did it take so long for the mavs to decide to go to dirk down low like they did tonight? >>

I'm not sure I'll word myself correctly for how I'm thinking about this strategy.

Were they using this as a sort of secret weapon or were they just letting Dirk warm up for a season?

I remember Nelson saying about 2-2 1/2 months ago that they'd be going to Dirk more and more down low. Getting him more shots, having the offense run through him. Were they letting Dirk adjust to that for a season without putting too much pressure on him to come through and at the same time not letting other teams figure a way to solve it?
Old 04-20-2003, 12:02 AM   #327
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Maybe Nellie held it back in his bag of tricks and he is unleashing it on the league in the playoffs? >>

That would be implying that Nelson has picked something up in his 25 years of coaching in the NBA. Maybe Nelson just felt sorry for the rest of the league and didn't want to punish them for an entire year.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:04 AM   #328
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

What a great performance by Dirk tonight!

It's gonna be tough for Portland to stop him, he's on fire like he has been inlast year's playoffs..
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #329
Drbio
Banned

The Blazers in the post game interviews looked stunned. They were all saying things like &quot;Dirk was amazing&quot;, &quot;Dirk went off&quot;...Dirk this....Dirk that.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2003, 01:57 AM   #330
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

And then there was Bonzi, saying something like &quot;All we have to do is limit Dirk and we got this team.&quot; Implying that Dirk's a one man team...
Old 04-20-2003, 03:35 AM   #331
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Couple thoughts.

Dirk was amazing, even if he would have had a &quot;great&quot; game the Mavs probably would have been blown out, nobody else could buy a bucket and he carried the team to victory.

I loved the hard foul/push by NVE, we need to show the Blazers that we won't be intimated by them, Nick standing up to a bigger Bonzi showed that, I will take that T over the &quot;bitch to the ref about a bad call&quot; T every time.

Nellie did a great job of realizing what worked and what didn't. Any duo of Nash, Finley, or NVE worked, together they didn't. The duo of NVE and Finley were in during the big run in the beginning of the 4th, later he stuck in Nash and the Blazers came back, he took out Nick and closed the game out, perfect. That might not be the case every game but just as long as he sees what works and what doesn't we should be good.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:32 AM   #332
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Fair enough to point out the disparity between SheWeb's season and Dirk's, but I'm not sure that I'd be ready to reach the same conclusion. Dirk's game IS still green. And yet, I don't think Webber has ever had as good a game as Dirk had yesterday.

I think part of the MVP-consideration issue with Dirk is the perception that he doesn't yet impose his game, doesn't take over games at key points on a consistent basis yet. A few more performances like yesterday and he inarguably moves from 5th-7th as MVP to top 3.

(P.S.: Still doesn't explain why Webber gets any consideration as an MVP at all.)

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #333
Murphy3
Guru

don't get it mavskiki... i'd be willing to bet that dirk averages more points in the 4th than both KG and webber.

His best quarter this season is probably the 4th.. yeah,he did go through a bit of a slump late in the season..but don't let it tarnish how amazing he was in the 4th for much of the season
Old 04-20-2003, 01:02 PM   #334
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I really think that the MVP should be a 2 man race between Dirk and Tim Duncan. But you really have to have at least one MVP season before you get serious MVP consideration. This is how it was for Duncan, it was how it was even for Jordan.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #335
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

I am very afraid. I've seen Dirk in too many games when he didn't make 60% of his shots. I just hope for Fin and Nick to bring on the hot hand in game 2. You just can't expect even the best of the best to have a career game every game. And Steve could start to produce too. Jesus Christ, there are so many holes in the Blazers' defense, if we would utilize them Shawn could end up averageing 20-10.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:20 AM   #336
Drbio
Banned

Shawn 20-10?

I love the Mavs, but c'mon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 AM   #337
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Some talk in another thread about a Kevin Willis flagrant.

Not sure I was paying attention to the thread when Dale Davis took Mantis down with a club to the head, but THAT foul looked deliberate and resulted in enough contact that it should get more attention from the league, IMO.

Were you even watching, Stooge Ackson?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:34 AM   #338
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

<< Want a good start to the series. 100-93 Mavs. >>

Ames you almost got the prediction. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #339
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

<< doc, one thing we have to remember is that dirk is playing near an MVP level right now.. how old is he? 25?
bird was 2-3 years out of college.
>>

He's still 24 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Although I think the Bird comparisons are a bit off since Bird handled the ball a bit more and wasn't as much of a scorer. I think of Dirk almost as a really big Jerry West.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #340
Murphy3
Guru

ok, what's the deal..it's almost 10:00 and there's no gameday thread.. again.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #341
Murphy3
Guru

interesting tidbit, dirk led the team in scoring in every quarter in game 1