Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-26-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Dampier trades

Dampier would be great to have as a consolation prize for Shaq. And if the Lakers want Dampier we could trade him on and upgrade to Shaq!!!

Option 1
Pavel and Laetner for Dampier
Option 2
Harris and Laetner for Dampier
Option 3
Dampier, Popeye, Eschmeyer for Walker
Option 4
Dampier & Speedy for Nash, Delk, Najera

Post your own too, what are the possibilities...
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Dampier trades

With what it would take to sign Dampier to an extension (via a S&T) the Walker for Dampier/Esch would be the deal. GS wouldn't do it though without getting something else back.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
inter1488

inter1488 is on a distinguished road

i would vote heavily for option number 3
inter1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

They will not get much more in a S&T. Maybe another future 1st goes their way, but that is about it. There are two reasons.

1. They won't take on payroll to trade him.
2. There will be plenty of options for Damp so they might as well get what they can and facilitate what he wants.

If they don't agree to help Dampier get to a contender, he can always choose Utah or Atlanta or LAC or Denver or PHX because at most 1 of them will get Kobe.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: inter1488
i would vote heavily for option number 3
Option 1 is the best deal for the Mavs by far. (Pavel & Laettner for Dampier)
They can probably then deal Dampier, Walker, Howard for Shaq.
If they could pull that off, it would be like turning Jamison, Walker, Howard into Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, and Shaquille O'Neal & that would be incredible. It would most likely never happen but if it did:

Nash/Harris
Daniels/Stack
Finley/Stack
Nowitzki/Fortson
O'Neal/Bradley
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Dampier trades

Golden State does not have many long term deals. They will not be looking for expiring contracts simply to help them get under their salary cap next year, as they are already on schedule to be well under the cap. Instead, I think they'll be wanting to improve their team immediately, while still keeping their cap situation managable.

I don't see why the Warriors would be interested in Walker. Their forward rotation is set with Dunleavy, Murphy, and Robinson. For next year, they need a point guard and a center. Any trade we do with them will require one or both.

The only way I see a deal getting done is if the Mavs send them either Harris or Nash, along with someone like Laettner.

Therefore #2 is the only realistic trade that I see.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Ape,

Unless they renounce Damp and Foyle, they are over the cap still this summer and if they take on too much salary that will screw up what they want to do next year. They are loaded at the 2/3 spot, but I suppose a Harrington would be an upgrade. I still say they would do it just to save Esch's salary and since that is getting something for nothing I don't see why they would push too much if Damp wants to come here over Indiana. It all still depends on what he wants to do.

Stressboy
Old 06-28-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Warriors basically have have two players under contract after this season: Michael Pietrus and Evan Eschmeyer. Of course, they'll probably want to excersize their options on Richardson, Murphy, and Dunleavy, so I put them at about $17.5M total obligations next year. The cap will probably be a little less than $50M. The Warriors are already on track to be one of the biggest players in the 2005 free agency period. There is no need to pay $14.5M plus luxury tax penalties JUST to get Eschmeyer's contract off the books. In reality, the $3.4M Esch is owed next year won't preclude them from signing one, or even two maxed out players. Golden State will NOT use Dampier in a sign in trade simply to remove long term contracts from their books. They don't really have any, and it doesn't make sense for them to desperately try to dump the ones that they do have. In reality, you are going to have to send the Warriors a package of young players and draft picks that will make it worth the $8-$10M of salary they'll need to take back in return for Dampier. In addition, that $8M-$10M must be in the form of an expiring contract, or else GS takes themselves out of the free-agency market for next year.

I don't see a deal happening with the Mavs. Memphis maybe, but the most likely scenario I see is Dampier taking a bus out of Oakland without a contract. Maybe Utah or Pheonix will pony up the cash.

Then again, the Warriors may really, really like Josh Howard and Devin Harris. However, I wouldn't do the deal if I owned the team. I sure wouldn't do the deal if I were Dallas.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

MAD "They will not be looking for expiring contracts simply to help them get under their salary cap next year"

That's true, but they also might be interested in deals that retain their future cap flexibility

"The only way I see a deal getting done is if the Mavs send them either Harris or Nash"

For Damppppppppppppp? The price in a SNT would be FAR less than that, IMO. A snt is more like what everyone was calling "tippng" in the expansion draft - and you dont tip someone with Nash or Harris. A snt is NOT a regular trade cause it is driven by the player.

"There is no need to pay $14.5M plus luxury tax penalties "

If the Warriors trade Damp for Walker, they arent anywhere close to being taxed. If they can improve their position for next summer, they might be interested. Getting rid of Esch would help GS. A pick would also. Walkr for a year wouldnt hurt at all.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Walkr for a year wouldnt hurt at all.
It would hurt the pocketbook.

Currently, the Warriors are sitting on a 2004 payroll of about $35M.

If Dampier is leaving, the Warriors have two choices

1) Sign and trade Dampier. They would be required to take back $8-$10M worth of contracts in return. Their payroll would increase to around $43M this year.
2) Let Dampier walk. Their payroll would be stay around $35M.

If they can use the trade dump the last $3M in Eschmeyers contract, the total cost of the deal would be around $5M over the next two years. Do they think that Harris and/or Howards rights are worth $5M? Probably not, but the Warriors have done some dumb things in the past.

Again, the effects on the Warriors 2005 cap flexibility is minimal because they are currently positioned to have massive, massive amounts of cap room following this year. I doubt very seriously that they would take a $5M loss just to free up a tiny bit more.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
Cubans_Posse

Cubans_Posse is on a distinguished road

option 3 is by far the best

Cubans_Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

MAD ... so you think GS would prefer to let Damp walk rather than get SOMETHING of value from someone? I dont see it.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 PM   #13
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

The winner should be:

Walker/Laettner/Harris for Dampier and NVE

This only costs Golden State the salary of Dampier. I don't think they would be in luxury tax territory and it addresses two needs--size for the coming year and a point guard for the future.

Dallas gets two players that are ready now--and more chips for future trades.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #14
Stressboy

Madape,

If the new rumor of Kidd to GS had any truth, then dumping esch makes all the difference in the world. I looked up the Salaries and if NVE goes east, then GS is sitting at about 36mil committed next summer assuming they don't sign anyone this year. If they don't, they are weak down low. I think the best bet is to get walker, dump esch so that they are at 33mil if Walker walks away giving them 11-12mil to pursue a good FA next summer to go with Kidd and the youth on the team. Another thought is that they NJ would ask for Speedy in the deal so they would have their future PG and be able to dump NVE. In that case, dumping esch would put GS with max money for the summer of 2005 before they resign their RFAs. With Kidd in town, I would think they could get some decent free agent action. Also, with Walker, they would have the flexiblity of getting their sidekick for kidd using walker at the deadline. You know if Mullins actually gets all that done, I will not think him so stupid.

Stressboy
Old 06-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #15
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs taking back Esh would help tremendously.

Walker for Damp and Esh.

That way we dont give up one of the Young Big 3.

GS gets a very moveable asset they can use.

And GSW would be hard pressed to get more value in the FA than Toine can bring them.

I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #16
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I love the idea of exchanging Walker for Dampier and Esch, assuming Golden State would do it.

One problem though is that the number of players on the team actually increases again. At some point, Dallas needs to get less players.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote