Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-12-2001, 03:50 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan probably kicked his ass for threatening to bolt, just one year after convincing him to stay in San Antonio. With DRob re-signing, I guess that means Webber will stay in Sactown? Damn.

Admiral stays course with two-year deal

SAN ANTONIO -- David Robinson has agreed to a two-year contract to stay with the San Antonio Spurs, ESPN's David Aldridge reported on Thursday.

"David wanted to remain in San Antonio and they wanted to keep him," Robinson's agent Jeff Austin told the San Antonio Express-News.

Tom James, the Spurs' director of media services, said the team couldn't comment. No free-agent contracts can be signed before Wednesday.

Robinson, at his vacation home in Hawaii, had on Tuesday questioned whether the Spurs wanted him. By Wednesday, team officials and Robinson's representatives were having serious talks.

Robinson had rebuffed the Spurs' suggestion he take a pay cut anywhere from 50 percent to 80 percent of the $14.7 million he made last season. Spurs chairman Peter Holt had said such a move was needed to keep the team competitive.

Until the NBA releases the official salary cap, the Spurs have about $16 million available to re-sign Robinson and Derek Anderson, who wants a contract worth $7 million annually.

Robinson has played all of his 12 NBA seasons with the Spurs, with career averages of 22.8 points and 11.1 rebounds a game. He is a 10-time All-Star and was the league's MVP in 1995.

Last season, Robinson had career lows with 14.4 points and 8.6 rebounds a game.

Source: Admiral stays course with two-year deal
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2001, 04:11 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I was kinda hoping he'd go to NY or atleast an eastern conference team. Oh well...

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:19 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Im not surprised Robinson is staying in SA really. Like DJ pointed out, it would of been pretty shitty for him to bolt after he begged Duncan not to leave.

As for Webber, I wouldn't count out Detroit as his new home just yet. He's rehired an agent to help him with negotiations and is expected to have another meeting with Dumars. But, I agree, Sacramento is looking more like his destination.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:24 AM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I don't know how you could asks your cornerstone player for the last 12 years to take a 80% pay cut.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I tell you what, even though he can be a bit soft at times, I HAVE to give him his props. WHAT professional athlete do you know would take an 80% pay cut?????? NOT ONE!!!! That says he's a team guy all the way, love him or hate him, you have to respect that. I don't care HOW much money he has, that's HUGE!!!
Old 07-13-2001, 11:51 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah..props to robinson...
but also...we should be criticizing guys that don't do what he does...he's just doing what's best for the team
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:39 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Robinson reportedly got 10+ mil per year. He did NOT take a hit for the team.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:43 PM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

I agree with you Murph. MFFL, he was willing to take that big of a pay cut. Just the fact that he considered it says something to me. I can't think of ONE professional athlete that would even think about doing that.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:47 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

He did not take the contract the Spurs offered initially. He threatened to walk until the team increased the contract. Robinson is like the rest of pro athletes - loyalty is important if the money is right.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:58 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah..didn't he sign for like 12.5 mil or something? whatever it was..we were wrong thekid...
oh well,..you had me convinced that i had misunderstood the sports news this morning thekid..

well, no kudos for drob
Old 07-13-2001, 01:02 PM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well I guess he is like everyone else. However on the other hand, that is a huge hit. He did take less at $12 mil, so I won't call him a bum just yet.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:37 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

actually..i heard some rumors talking about san antonio not being able to afford anderson this year...that they might be looking to sign carter next year..a duo with duncan to possibly contend against shaq and kobe
Old 07-13-2001, 02:39 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

LOL - That's a mighty funny tag-line murph.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:47 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

thought you'd appreciate it
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2001, 02:55 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

Actually that would be something. Duncan, Carter and Robinson. The only problem is there's still no one to stop freakin Shaq!!!! It's annoys me how dominating he is!!!!
Old 07-13-2001, 02:57 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully he'll eat too many Krispy Kremes and pull a Shawn Kemp next season.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

i don't see that happening
Old 07-13-2001, 03:02 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Speaking of which, I heard Kemp lose 25+ lbs and is now starting rip it up in scrimmages.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:11 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

Actually I hope he bounces back. I would hate to see him go out the way he was last year. The guy was actually a GOOD Power forward at one point, so I hope he does bounce back.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:43 PM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I´d love to see Kemp back in real good shape.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:17 PM   #21
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Kemp Kemp Kemp Kemp Kemp Kemp!

I'm not sure there's much more I can say.

I can see it now... the Reign Man reborn. Rasheed Wallace traded for Gary Payton, Kemp inserted into starting lineup. Kemp, Payton, and Schrempf rekindle old chemistry, lead new-look Trailblazers to crush the lakers in 5 games. kobe's "legacy" takes another turn for the worse as he is brutally held in check by the Glove, including the historical game 4 where kobe is actually held scoreless, on only 7 attempts. The lakers win by 10 points. Shaq fights as hard as he can through the series, but the rapidly degenerating talent around him finally becomes painfully apparent, as Shaq's dominance seems just less and less important in the face of the lakers' weakness in all other positions. Then, in the final moments of game 5, lakers up by one with 18.7 seconds left... a beautifully executed pick-and-roll with Payton and Kemp, honed through years of bitter, angry partnership. Robert Horry switches off in a boneheaded maneuver to double-team Payton, who swings the ball to a Kemp already bulling toward the basket. Kemp takes into the air... Shaq, out a bit too far from the basket to contest Sabonis' shooting, is just a second too late on the help defense... SLAM! Kemp screams in agony and aggression as the ball rips through the net at the buzzer. Kemp's legs are draped all around Shaq's shoulders, as Payton chatters away at kobe. Shaq's eyes fill with angry tears as kobe shrugs and wags his tongue at the camera. Kemp merely laughs.

The Blazers go on to rip through a Bucks team with no-one on the roster who could ever hope to contain Kemp. Payton, Kemp, and Schrempf finally win their championship... Shaquille O'Neal, infuriated with a pathetic lakers team and a pathetic lakers management that he has carried for far too long, demands to be traded to Dallas. The Bulls are included to make it work under the cap, who send half their roster, including the high-schoolers and Eddie Robinson, to LA. Shaq goes to Dallas, while Kyle Hill and ten boxes of jelly doughnuts are sent to Chicago. Jerry Krause comments on how this is "a great move for the future of Chicago", and pats himself on the back for having such good management. The Mavericks, led by the high-scoring duo of Shaq and Dirk, go on to win the next 7 championships. kobe continues his Jordan-like success with the new-look lakers, scoring 34.6 PPG at a 41.2% clip and JUST NEARLY making the playoffs every year. Robert Horry continues to be praised for his cool-headedness on the court, because members of the media who watch laker games are blind and deaf.

THE END
Old 07-13-2001, 11:18 PM   #22
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Man...Kemp was my boy! I hated to see that happen to him. But Shaq on the other hand...that wouldn't bother me too much, to say the least.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:49 AM   #23
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Not much more you could say Mav?
Old 07-14-2001, 11:36 AM   #24
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Well, I was done, then I drew inspiration from that Kemp-over-Rodman picture...
Old 07-14-2001, 05:35 PM   #25
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

It wasn't quite "over Rodman"...more on top of Rodman.