Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

Clark free to sign with whomever he chooses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors rescinded their qualifying offer to Keon Clark on Monday, making the lanky center an unrestricted free agent and almost surely ending his two-year stay with the team.

Clark's departure became probable after the NBA announced last week that the salary cap would fall to $40.2 million instead of the anticipated $42 million.

That left the Raptors little room to pay Clark more than the $2 million he earned last season under his rookie contract. The Raptors had the right to recall their qualifying offer to Clark before Tuesday and they cut him loose Monday.

The Raptors, who have a payroll of just under $52 million, are hoping to avoid paying the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, which is expected to kick in at about $50 million.

Clark, who averaged 11.3 points and 7.4 rebounds last season, was expected to command much more this year. Starting power forwards in the league average $8.2 million a year.

As a restricted free agent, Clark could receive contract offers from other teams, but the Raptors retained the right to match. As an unrestricted free agent, Clark is free to sign with any team.

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
Charlie Brown

u guys think the mavs will show interest now??

he'd fit in decently with the mavs.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We could do a lot worse with the 4.5, but if Lewis wants to come to Big D, I would rather go that route myself.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I don't think so, maybe not anytime soon that is. They seem to be happy with just sitting back and waiting for players to scramble and want to play for the mavs. I think they are right, but what I've read, Keon is down on the list of people to look at. I like him, but you never know how Nellie feels until it is all said and done.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #5
Charlie Brown

definitely, rashard would be the top priority IF he shows interest in coming here, but i think keon's definitely a head above a lot of other free agents out there. i personally would rather see him here than an olowakandi.

these are the eight guys, in order, of FA's i would like the mavs to take a look at.

1) Rashard Lewis
2) Keon Clark
3) Malik Rose
4) Michael Olowakandi
5) Donyell Marshall
6) Popeye Jones
7) Michael Doleac
8) Byron Russell
Old 07-22-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Charlie, I think Rose and Doleac have already been signed.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
Charlie Brown

those are the strong indications, but i'm pretty sure that's not the official word yet . . .

Old 07-22-2002, 05:57 PM   #8
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

any reason you'd rank anyone above kandi?

if i could pick and choose out of this year's free agent market, i would definitely rank him #1... he fills in the most holes out of all FA's
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i agree, Kandi may not be the best player, but he is a legit Center so he is #1
I think Lewis is # 2 though I would rather have him than Clark
Old 07-22-2002, 06:10 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i think lewis is going to be a very special player... i like him more than kandi but for the mavs needs..kandi "might" be a better fit
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< definitely, rashard would be the top priority IF he shows interest in coming here, but i think keon's definitely a head above a lot of other free agents out there. i personally would rather see him here than an olowakandi.

these are the eight guys, in order, of FA's i would like the mavs to take a look at.

1) Rashard Lewis
2) Keon Clark
3) Malik Rose
4) Michael Olowakandi
5) Donyell Marshall
6) Popeye Jones
7) Michael Doleac
8) Byron Russell
>>

Actually this was the exact list I had in mine except I would fit Michael Redd in there anywhere from 5-8 and I would ve also put Jerome James but he has signed with the Sonics. As far as the needs go for the Mavs Kandi would be top on my list but the only thing I dont liek is his shooting 43% and wanting a max contract. Its also been said that he was doing a &quot;front&quot; last season so he could get a nice contract which Bibby has done also but there is no sign of him being a bad player. I like Kandi and I put him on top of my list though beign he is 7 foot and 300.

1. Kandi
2. Lewis
3. Clark
4. Redd
5. Donyell
6. Popeye

Alot of guys IU Didnt put because they were said to have already signed.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:36 PM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i would much rather sign REDD than Russell, Redd actually has an upside. Russell is a nice players, but I think acquiring experience is overrated. Redd would be perfect at sg

nash / NVE
Redd / SEK?.........or Fin / Redd
FIN / Grif........... Griff / Najera
Dirk / Najera
Raef / Wang or some other scrub we got

I know he wont come here, but it would be a nice fit. It would allow Fin to rotate at sg / sf , depending on match up and actually have another scoring threat come in a sg
Old 07-23-2002, 03:38 PM   #13
Just211
Platinum Member

i don't think Keon wouldnt be too amped to come here, cause there's not a large chance he would be titular
Old 07-24-2002, 02:55 AM   #14
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

The mavs dont want to waste the exception on a player like Keon Clark. They want somebody like Rashard instead. I read that off Text
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:56 AM   #15
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

It says that near the bottom of the article.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:10 AM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

<<
1) Rashard Lewis
2) Keon Clark
3) Malik Rose
4) Michael Olowakandi
5) Donyell Marshall
6) Popeye Jones
7) Michael Doleac
8) Byron Russell
>>

Malik Rose has a big deal with the Spurs, so he's unavailable. Michael Doleac is just another soft center. Popeye will likely get re-signed, but if the Wizz didn't want him, he's not worth spending out exception on. If he would like to come back to Dallas for the minimum, then show him the cool lockers!

If we can get Rashard for a year or three (bird-rights) then of course we jump at that. But if we can't I think we should follow this list:

1. Try to sign Kandi
2. Try to sign Clark
3. Save our 4.5 for next offseason when the talent base is larger.

Old 07-24-2002, 03:11 PM   #17
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Dont you get it the mavs dont want to waste the exception on Keon. Maybe around 3 mil. It says that at alot of places.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:19 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< 3. Save our 4.5 for next offseason when the talent base is larger. >>

For the benefit of everyone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Each team over the cap gets the mid-level exception to use each summer. You can sign a player to up to a 6 year deal using all or part of the the mid-level exception for the first year's salary.

The exception is exactly that -- an exception through which you can sign a player outright despite being over the following year's salary cap. That's why only the first year salary is considered in how much of the exception is used.

The &quot;million dollar&quot; exception can only be used every other year. It was used in 2000 to sign Buck, so we didn't have it last year. We've got it this year, but I don't think it'll get used unless lots of quality players fall through the cracks.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:30 PM   #19
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Pat Garrity signed a 5 yr 17 mill deal to stay with the magic.

Matt Harpring on the other hand got &quot;Keoned&quot;. The Sixers withdrew thier qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted FA.

I think this means the Sixers lose his Bird Rights, so a sign and trade with Harpring or as part of 3-way may be impossible.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #20
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

I think the team still has the bird rights in case of a S&amp;T, they are just giving a player they will not sign more options.
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:42 PM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Was Harpring ever rumored to be part of a sign-and-trade proposal b/w Dallas and Philly involving Buck? What would Philly's rescinding the qualifying offer mean for a Buck/Harping sign-and-trade?

Is Rashard Lewis the primary target now?

Where is all of this going?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #22
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Rashard is the primary target.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:47 PM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< Was Harpring ever rumored to be part of a sign-and-trade proposal b/w Dallas and Philly involving Buck? What would Philly's rescinding the qualifying offer mean for a Buck/Harping sign-and-trade?

Is Rashard Lewis the primary target now?

Where is all of this going?
>>

Nobody knows. There was a time when there was a Philly-Chicago-Dallas trade rumor. Harpring would go to Chicago and we'd get Marcus Fizer and Philly would get Buck. I think that is out the window now, if it ever was a real possibility.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:50 PM   #24
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Nellie doesnt want Fizzer he doesnt need him.