Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #41
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Guys I'm calling it right now. Even if they are all healthy, the rockets do NOT get out of the first round. Call me crazy if you want but I'll be sure to bump this around playoff time.
If they are all healthy, I could see them advancing to the 2nd round, but it is a stretch. If they get the 6th seed, I could very easily see them dismissing the winner of the poo division in our conference; however, if they get any other seed 4-5 or 7-8, (it should be safe to assume they aren't winning this division), they will be playing the 1st/2nd place team in our division - Dallas/SA - or Phoenix. Tough road if you ask me. Everyone needs to pray for the 3rd/6th seed, as that is really the only winnable series. SA, Dallas, and Phoenix WILL be in the 2nd round.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #42
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
If they are all healthy, I could see them advancing to the 2nd round, but it is a stretch. If they get the 6th seed, I could very easily see them dismissing the winner of the poo division in our conference; however, if they get any other seed 4-5 or 7-8, (it should be safe to assume they aren't winning this division), they will be playing the 1st/2nd place team in our division - Dallas/SA - or Phoenix. Tough road if you ask me. Everyone needs to pray for the 3rd/6th seed, as that is really the only winnable series. SA, Dallas, and Phoenix WILL be in the 2nd round.
if they get the 5th seed they will get winner of the crap division. Remember they changed the seeding system to the 3 division winners and the best second place team are seeded according to record for the top 4. IMO thats actually a DUMBER system than we just had but it would change that scenario...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I think it's too early to be making such blanket statements. I can certainly imagine Houston taking second place in the division, if not contending for first.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #44
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think people forget how dominant Yao and T-Mac are when healthy. If healthy they are by far the most dominant duo in the league. No one even compares.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I think people forget how dominant Yao and T-Mac are when healthy. If healthy they are by far the most dominant duo in the league. No one even compares.
Shaq and wade???
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #46
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

If tmac is really healthy like he claims and yao doesn't get hurt again , they're serious title contenders imo. Have we forgetton just how good TMAC was? If he's healthy he is a top 5 player if no better.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So what we're saying here, is that the Mavs could possibly finish 3rd in the division? Because there is no way in hell or here on gods green earth that the Spurs arent finishing 1 or 2, and now we have all these nice things to say about Houston?

i still dont think they can get it all together long enough to make a good run...
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #48
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

T-Mac hasn't proven anything...ever.

And you have to realize how unsure their health is. People keep saying "if they are healthy", but I don't see it happening. Someone thing will happen to them, it always does. And if it doesnt they still dont compare to the mavs or the spurs.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #49
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
T-Mac hasn't proven anything...ever.

And you have to realize how unsure their health is. People keep saying "if they are healthy", but I don't see it happening. Someone thing will happen to them, it always does. And if it doesnt they still dont compare to the mavs or the spurs.
uhh what are you talking about? "hasn't proven anything...ever."??? Did you not see him light us up in the playoffs a couple seasons agao and single handely keep the rockets afloat? The man is a superstar when healthy, no way around it. Imagine if he had Yao in his current state, Battier, and Wells a couple seasons ago.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #50
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
uhh what are you talking about? "hasn't proven anything...ever."??? Did you not see him light us up in the playoffs a couple seasons agao and single handely keep the rockets afloat? The man is a superstar when healthy, no way around it. Imagine if he had Yao in his current state, Battier, and Wells a couple seasons ago.
Which round did he light up again?

Oh and which round did he not get out of?

Exactly, he hasn't proven anything ever. How many times has he been bounced out of the first round, and how many times has he gotten past it? He suffers from a severe case of KG syndrome.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #51
fluid.forty.one

To clarify: I don't think he's a bad basketball player. He is VERY good. That doesn't mean he is "proven" in the playoffs though.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #52
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

IMO its absurd to say that he hasn't proven anything since he hasn't gotten out of the 1rst round due to the fact he lacked the players around him. He's been a stud in the playoffs, and now that he has a team around him it could get scary.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #53
fluid.forty.one

Okay well I promise T-Mac will not get out of the first round. Healthy or not.

You're more than welcome to bump this thread if I'm wrong.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #54
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Alright will do.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #55
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I believe T-Mac and Yao when they played together in the 2005-2006 season the Rockets had a combined record of 21-10. That sounds pretty good in my book. With all these new additions and with a healthy T-mac and Yao, the Rockets will be a very formidable team.

If anyone watched Bonzi Wells last year (although he was playing in a contract season), he is a very capable scorer and rebounder.

Shane Battier is an awesome glue man, who does all the dirty work. I dont think he can stop duncan/garnett/dirk .. the bigger power forwards in the league.

I believe their starting 5 is one of the best in basketball...

their bench is a huge question however, they still have some talent

young and capable back up pg in lutherhead, vspan..lit USA up in world tourney, old man howard and deke, kirk.

I believe the rockets, without injury, is a top team in the league. Either way, I see the rankings like this for SW division:

1. Mavs - obvious reasons
2. Spurs - TD and gang should be healthy and that is a big problem
3. Rockets - without injuries
4. Hornets - nice off season additions in peja and chandler
5. memphis - pau out for several months is a huge blow imo.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #56
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Our division is scary. We can all look forward to seeing some ultra competitive competition this season.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #57
david12sfa

david12sfa has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This just might bring Houston their 3rd ring!
david12sfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #58
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by david12sfa
This just might bring Houston their 3rd ring!
Wake up.....someone get this man a reality check.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #59
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

the division really is going to be tough.

At least Gasol got hurt.....

you know....so we dont have to look at his ugly beard. not because anybody is afraid of him and the grizz....
Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #60
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Our division is scary. We can all look forward to seeing some ultra competitive competition this season.

That should make for some good games - barring injuries, of course...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #61
TheDiggler

TheDiggler is infamous around these partsTheDiggler is infamous around these parts

Guys keep in mind that Houston was already a good team before injuries.....Injuries happen and they ran into some bad luck. They took the Mavs to 7 games 2 seasons ago and scared the hell out of them. All some of you remember is that game 7 blow out and the Mav's deserved to win....better team. This Houston team is dangerous even before the signing of Wells. I guaruntee that Greg Pop and Avery J are VERY concerned and will openly admit it. The Southwest Division is serious! The Hornets and Memphis are no joke either.
TheDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #62
david12sfa

david12sfa has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thank you! Dallas, Houston and the Spurs can all win the west. As to DrBio's statement to wake up, you need to stop drinking the kool-aid and realize that even winning the divison is not a lock for the Mav's
david12sfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #63
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by david12sfa
Thank you! Dallas, Houston and the Spurs can all win the west. As to DrBio's statement to wake up, you need to stop drinking the kool-aid and realize that even winning the divison is not a lock for the Mav's
It might not be a lock that the mavs do win the division but it is a lock that the rockets dont get higher than 3rd...
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #64
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
It might not be a lock that the mavs do win the division but it is a lock that the rockets dont get higher than 3rd...

Id put smart money on that statement (um, furrit, not aginnit!)

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #65
TheDiggler

TheDiggler is infamous around these partsTheDiggler is infamous around these parts

Quote:
How can you be so sure? Would Avery say that? Are you that cocky? Look, it was the Mav's year last year and they had their chance, just came up short. This year will be even harder to get back because the divison is even better than it was 2 years ago. The MavsARE the best team in the West.......The Mavs deserve that, but the margin is very,very slim. The Spurs are the Mavs alter ego and the Rockets are kinfolks. The Rockets are just as dangerous as the Suns, probably even more because of Yao and Tracy. It's going to be a fun season. The Mavs are the team to beat.

Last edited by TheDiggler; 09-28-2006 at 04:22 PM.
TheDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #66
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggler
The Rockets are just as dangerous as the Suns, probably even more because of Yao and Tracy. It's going to be a fun season. The Mavs are the team to beat.

More dangerous because they're in our division... (athough injuries tend to wash speculation away...)

Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #67
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wait, so is it official yet?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #68
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13

I don't think so...

Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #69
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggler
How can you be so sure? Would Avery say that? Are you that cocky? Look, it was the Mav's year last year and they had their chance, just came up short. This year will be even harder to get back because the divison is even better than it was 2 years ago. The MavsARE the best team in the West.......The Mavs deserve that, but the margin is very,very slim. The Spurs are the Mavs alter ego and the Rockets are kinfolks. The Rockets are just as dangerous as the Suns, probably even more because of Yao and Tracy. It's going to be a fun season. The Mavs are the team to beat.
seeing as how i dont see the suns as much of a threat barring Amare making a deal with the devil, that really doesnt scare me. I think the rockets are a good team. I think they will win somewhere between 50-55 but they wont have a better record than the mavs and spurs.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #70
RoxFan

RoxFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
A "lock," really? SA is getting older and the Rox cast is much better than the team that took you guys to the 7th game without a dominant Yao. Personally, I can't wait until November 4th.
RoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #71
RoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Official, signed, done deal.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #72
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxFan
A "lock," really? SA is getting older and the Rox cast is much better than the team that took you guys to the 7th game without a dominant Yao. Personally, I can't wait until November 4th.
Yao played pretty good in that series, I don't know what you're talking about. Heck he scored 33 in the 40 point loss.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #73
RoxFan

Quote:
Yao played pretty good in that series, I don't know what you're talking about. Heck he scored 33 in the 40 point loss.
He played pretty well in that series, but that was before two years of seasoning and the removal of a bone infection that he suffered from for years. Yao will be much more dominant this year and if TMac is healthy, we could very well go for 60+ wins and challenge both y'all and SA for the division.

The problem in that loss was not Yao or TMac, it was the supporting cast. This year, we have Battier and Wells in addition to a guy named Head who shot .482 from distance in November last year. We are far deeper than the team that took two games from y'all in Dallas two years ago and everyone in the league is going to have trouble with us.

I am not saying the Rox are a lock to win the division, but saying that they are locked into third place in the division is pure folly.

Last edited by RoxFan; 09-28-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #74
mavs7

mavs7 is on a distinguished road

GO ROCKETS!....err mavs
mavs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #75
Underdog

Quote:
He played pretty well in that series, but that was before two years of seasoning and the removal of a bone infection that he suffered from for years. Yao will be much more dominant this year and if TMac is healthy, we could very well go for 60+ wins and challenge both y'all and SA for the division.

The problem in that loss was not Yao or TMac, it was the supporting cast. This year, we have Battier and Wells in addition to a guy named Head who shot .482 from distance in November last year. We are far deeper than the team that took two games from y'all in Dallas two years ago and everyone in the league is going to have trouble with us.

I am not saying the Rox are a lock to win the division, but saying that they are locked into third place in the division is pure folly.

I see you folks out in Houston are still dipping your weed in formaldehyde...

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #76
fluid.forty.one

Quote:

IMO they will get the 3rd spot in the division (hardest division ever? seriously) but anything could happen. Hope to see you guys in the playoffs in the 2nd round. Childs play compared to this years 2nd round for us. We have a lot better defenders now so it will be interesting for Tmac, and Yao will have to deal with the 3 headed monster now. Even without all that I'm still not worried. You seem like a nice level headed fan though so welcome to the board.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #77
RoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I see you folks out in Houston are still dipping your weed in formaldehyde...
What exactly did I say that you find inaccurate?

Or are you merely able to disparage sources rather than disputing facts?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #78
Underdog

Quote:
What exactly did I say that you find inaccurate?

Or are you merely able to disparage sources rather than disputing facts?

What facts??? This is the presaeson - a place for speculation alone... There aren't any facts! Bonzi Wells could get in a car wreck tomorrow & never play ball again... See you in November, chump...

(oh, and welcome to the MAVS boards...)

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #79
RoxFan

Quote:
IMO they will get the 3rd spot in the division (hardest division ever? seriously) but anything could happen.
It will definitely qualify as the hardest division ever. And you are right that anything could happen. Like I said, I am not predicting anything, merely making the comment that the Rockets will be tough to beat this year.

Quote:
Hope to see you guys in the playoffs in the 2nd round.
I guess it could happen if y'all can hold down the 4th seed.

Quote:
Childs play compared to this years 2nd round for us.
Say that again in May.

Quote:
We have a lot better defenders now so it will be interesting for Tmac, and Yao will have to deal with the 3 headed monster now.
Just like Dirk, nobody can shut TMac down when he is healthy. I don't care who you put on him, TMac will go off.

As far as Yao goes, you will need to put all three guys on him at the same time and I think league rules disallow having seven guys on the court at the same time. Yao averaged 26 and 12 after the all-star break (after the toe infection was removed) and will continue that kind of play this year.

Quote:
Even without all that I'm still not worried. You seem like a nice level headed fan though so welcome to the board.
I wouldn't expect you to be worried yet. You can start on October 17th.

Thank you for the welcome, but I am a fairly rabid fan who won season tickets this year due to my rowdiness. However, I will never troll or insult people, even those who choose to live in Dallas. I keed, I keed.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #80
RoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
What facts??? This is the presaeson - a place for speculation alone... There aren't any facts! Bonzi Wells could get in a car wreck tomorrow & never play ball again... See you in November, chump...

(oh, and welcome to the MAVS boards...)
It is good to meet a mavs fan who is so nice to newcomers and welcoming of other people.

Actually, we will see you October 17th, dude.