Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-10-2023, 03:07 PM   #1
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Callie Caplan: GM Nico Harrison on Mavs? buyout market interest to fill 15th roster spot: ?We?re going to look at it closely. If there?s something we think can help strengthen our bench, then we?ll definitely do it, for sure.? Wing depth, defense are priorities. ? via Twitter CallieCaplan
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #2
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Marc Stein: The Mavericks say they have signed Chris Silva to a second 10-day contract. More NBA from me: marcstein.Substack.com ? via Twitter TheSteinLine
Old 02-10-2023, 03:17 PM   #3
BPo001
Diamond Member

Erik Slater: The Nets were offered four first-round picks for Mikal Bridges by an unnamed team per @Zach Lowe. ?I?ve confirmed this? I know of at least three first-round picks. I think the fourth one may have had some protections or something, but I?m pretty sure that was a thing.? ? via Twitter erikslater_

I like Bridges as a player, but I don?t know how you don?t accept that deal.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I personally don't want the mavs making the same mistake with Wood that they made with THJ

I think he's a solid player when he's making shots but at times I question his shot selection because he can sort of go into that hero ball mode. He settles way too much on 3's as well. I'd like to see him put more effort or focus into getting more buckets inside.

Defensively there's no question he tends to zone out often.

But if you surround him with better defensive players you can get by

I think in the playoffs he's best served to be utilized in a manner like how the Clippers used Montrez Harrell

Offensive spark early in games but Don't play him down the stretch when you need stops
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I personally don't want the mavs making the same mistake with Wood that they made with THJ

I think he's a solid player when he's making shots but at times I question his shot selection because he can sort of go into that hero ball mode. He settles way too much on 3's as well. I'd like to see him put more effort or focus into getting more buckets inside.

Defensively there's no question he tends to zone out often.

But if you surround him with better defensive players you can get by

I think in the playoffs he's best served to be utilized in a manner like how the Clippers used Montrez Harrell

Offensive spark early in games but Don't play him down the stretch when you need stops
His shot selection would be my only gripe. Defensively he does struggle on pnr but in the paint he?s solid, and grabs the board. But to me that?s why he?s a 15m a year guy. If he was a monster on D, he probably wouldn?t be here on an expiring.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Fans shield themselves from the reality of possibly losing Wood this summer. But that frustration should be taken out on the FO, not Wood. They created the mess. He has done way better than I thought he would.

Sure, shot selection and not always super motivated on D are fair, but that's not what is going on with a lot of fans right now. Some twilight zone stuff where people say Powell is more valuable because he sets better picks. Now where did I hear that kinda stuff before? *cough* Dampier *cough*

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused... just because we haven't offered an official contract doesn't rly mean anything. Tmac had said "the mavs are interested in offering a 2yr extension of 36m. If the two sides are far enough apart then an offer is meaningless- aka his agent conveying to the FO they want 4yr 80m.

Another thing to consider- extending Wood makes him trade ineligible. So now that the TDL has passed and we are already evaluating Kyrie may as well evaluate how wood does with this core as well. Why give him 4/80 if he is for some reason a horrible fit and we are stuck on that contract and can't move him just like THJ.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering how hard the Mavs went after a decent center to play next to Wood or replace him.
Seems they could have vastly improved the situation by bringing in the right center to complement Wood and the team as a whole.

Maybe they feel they can pick up someone that gets bought out to fill that role and maybe they feel Maxi will be 100% by the POs.

I kind of get why they'd be hesitant to sign Wood if the asking price is steep, to wait and see how this chemistry will come together.

I think we are fine.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-10-2023 at 08:45 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:43 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Javale played decently well the last couple games. Hopefully he can provide us SOMETHING.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-10-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I thought Javale played decently well the last couple games. Hopefully he can provide us SOMETHING.
Yep, and if Maxi comes back to full strength I think we will be fine.
I'd still like to see us add some insurance at center in case McGee reverts back to being unplayable, or if any of our bigs get injured.

A healthy Maxi would solve a lot of our problems right now considering he can guard bigs and wings imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-10-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Stein:

The Mavericks are among the teams expressing interest in Terrence Ross should the Orlando swingman secure a buyout from the Magic, league sources say.

Much more on the buyout market and trade deadline fallout on our latest pod with @ChrisBHaynes.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-11-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stein:

The Mavericks are among the teams expressing interest in Terrence Ross should the Orlando swingman secure a buyout from the Magic, league sources say.

Much more on the buyout market and trade deadline fallout on our latest pod with @ChrisBHaynes.
No man. Don't tamper with these kids minutes. You want to add someone, add a big.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:47 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No man. Don't tamper with these kids minutes. You want to add someone, add a big.
About to burst your bubble.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
?
10m
The Dallas Mavericks have emerged as the frontrunner to sign Terrence Ross once his buyout is complete, sources tell ESPN.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #14
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
About to burst your bubble.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
?
10m
The Dallas Mavericks have emerged as the frontrunner to sign Terrence Ross once his buyout is complete, sources tell ESPN.
20mins a game in orlando and shooting 38% on 3's? He may not be the volume scorer he used to be but if it means having someone else to play over THJ so I no longer have to see 5/16 in the box score game after game count me in.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:45 PM   #15
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ross is a solid 3 point shooter and unlike THJ he does his stuff within the flow of the offense and doesn't force up shots

I actually was hoping the Mavs to get him in package deal with Mo Bamba

Their bench should have several guys who can space the floor now in Ross, Wood, Bertans THJ and Kleber giving Kidd different options in the playoffs to use based on who's playing well.

McGee looks like the rim protector that 2nd unit will need with them
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:55 PM   #16
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Ross is a solid 3 point shooter and unlike THJ he does his stuff within the flow of the offense and doesn't force up shots

I actually was hoping the Mavs to get him in package deal with Mo Bamba

Their bench should have several guys who can space the floor now in Ross, Wood, Bertans THJ and Kleber giving Kidd different options in the playoffs to use based on who's playing well.

McGee looks like the rim protector that 2nd unit will need with them
Meh. Im familiar with his game. I'm sure he's a swell guy but I Just don't want anyone taking any mins from Hardy or Green. They're both better already and need every minute possible to continue to grow.

I'm sure they're ecstatic to add an average dude who will potentially cut into their playing time.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:07 PM   #17
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Meh. Im familiar with his game. I'm sure he's a swell guy but I Just don't want anyone taking any mins from Hardy or Green. They're both better already and need every minute possible to continue to grow.

I'm sure they're ecstatic to add an average dude who will potentially cut into their playing time.
I think we need some insurance on the wings though. Right now we are looking at Pinson or Frank as 3rd option 3D guys.
That's a little scary going into the POs.

I don't think Ross would take that many minutes from Hardy and definitely not Green. Green has become the next DFS and I doubt he'll ever see less than 30 minutes from here on out barring an injury or foul trouble.
I think he'd cut into (or should cut into) THJ's minutes.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-11-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

People say he is good a t D?

Old 02-11-2023, 02:43 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
People say he is good a t D?
similar defensive win share to DFS. Same height. More length.

But also way smaller so his ability to "body up" bigger forwards is limited.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Real talk: tons of nice players have been waived. Who would you get and who would you drop?

1) Luka
2) Kyrie
3) Wood
4) Green
5) Bullock
6) Powell
7) Kleber
8) Morris
9) Hardy
10) Frank
11) Bertans
12) THJ
13) McGee
14) Pinson
15) Silva
----------------
=========
16) Wright IV
17) Lawson

My vote is Ross for Frank
Ibaka/Bitadze/Noel for Silva

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-11-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yeah, definitely Frank. Shown no improvement and is always hurt.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:03 PM   #22
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Like the Ross pickup. We needed another wing to throw in the mix. He?s going to be good for some solid wing defense, solid shooting, and the occasional highlight dunk.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:15 PM   #23
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Perfectly happy with Ross.
Wouldn't mind Barton either if he becomes available.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:46 PM   #24
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the trade, when do we see Morris?

Feel like he?d be beneficial on some level regarding defense, working for boards
Old 02-12-2023, 12:46 AM   #25
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Ross signs with the Suns.

Who?s next on the list?
Old 02-12-2023, 09:44 AM   #26
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's get Nerlens here. Hoping to see him bought out over the next few days.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:30 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Ross signs with the Suns.

Who?s next on the list?
Barton

Stein says no interest in P-Bevs
Old 02-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #28
tap2390
Diamond Member

I feel very strongly we are one move away. We just desperately need that big that can anchor the middle and guard on the perimeter. Even someone like Capela could make a huge difference on defense.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Beverly is over the hill as is Danny Green. Barton is the only one that makes sense right now. Hopefully not another "mavs interested...signs with another team" embarrassment.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:59 AM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Spurs released Stanley Johnson. Wouldn't mind a flyer on him.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #31
tap2390
Diamond Member

Stanley would be my new #1 target.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Stanley Johnson worries me. He's one of the worst defensive guys on a team that is 30th in the league in defense. His defensive win share is worse than Bertans.

He's a nice 3pt shooter, but he only has the 3 of the 3/D and that is what has Wood getting inconsistent minutes.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-12-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #33
tap2390
Diamond Member

IMO it?s utterly impossible to separate DRTG from a bad defensive team. A good DRTG on a bad defensive team means a lot. A bad DRTG on a bad defensive team is borderline meaningless.

In this scenario, I would defer to his body of work and reputation as a strong and willing defender, rebounder, and hustler.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
IMO it?s utterly impossible to separate DRTG from a bad defensive team. A good DRTG on a bad defensive team means a lot. A bad DRTG on a bad defensive team is borderline meaningless.

In this scenario, I would defer to his body of work and reputation as a strong and willing defender, rebounder, and hustler.
It doesn't mean a heck of a lot-- guys on good defensive teams will look good and guys on bad defensive teams will look bad.

Still, he's ranked like 13th out of 15 Spurs players. Even among the players on that team, I think there is reason to be concerned.

Still, maybe Kidd can make him a 26-yo project or maybe being here will motivate him. It is hard to be motivated when the rest of the team doesn't care
Old 02-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #35
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

We just need a guy to fill in for brickhouse Tim. Don't see some defensive juggernaut being available.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:09 PM   #36
Melonhead
Guru

Btw Stanleys 3 point percentage of 38% is with him avg 1.3 attempts per game this season.

I?m not sure it holds
Old 02-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Stein: Mavs to pursue Justin Holiday if bought out.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:09 PM   #38
tap2390
Diamond Member

IMO

1) Noel - switching big who would probably run the floor for easy offense

2) Johnson - bigger, physical forward who can rebound and bang inside/ outside

3) Holiday - veteran perimeter defender but falling off a little with age
Old 02-13-2023, 01:06 PM   #39
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Stein: Justin Holiday commits to signing with Dallas once waived.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-13-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #40
tap2390
Diamond Member

Like him better than Ross as a veteran presence. Solid pickup. Still think Noel and Johnson would ultimately have been more useful on the court.