Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough
Default Christy 'giddy' to play for Mavericks

Christie 'giddy' to play for Mavericks

01:07 AM CDT on Saturday, August 20, 2005

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Doug Christie said exactly what Mavericks coach Avery Johnson wanted to hear.

At a news conference introducing him Friday, Christie extolled and explained defensive basketball — something Mavericks players usually do only after allowing 120 points in a playoff loss.

It’s the message that Johnson has been preaching.

Defense starts with the team, said Christie, a member of the NBA’s first or second all-defensive team four times.

“People talk about a person playing defense, and I think it’s kind of a misnomer,” Christie said. “If everybody trusts each other, that person automatically becomes a better defender. I know I can get up on my man and be aggressive and have faith that people are going to be behind me.”

He said he’s healthy again after the removal of bone spurs from his ankle that had bothered him for two seasons. The Mavericks even requested videotapes of the surgery before signing Christie.

At 6-6, Christie offers a potential defensive matchup against everybody from Houston offensive machine Tracy McGrady to Phoenix MVP Steve Nash. Both gave the Mavericks playoff fits with the pick-and-roll last season.

Johnson said Christie, a strong on-the-ball defender, could take pressure off the Mavericks’ big men.

And Christie understands the Mavericks’ needs.

“Being a free agent, looking at the options, I said I can vastly help that situation in Dallas, and it would be fantastic to get there,” Christie said. “Then the call came, and I’ve been giddy ever since.”

Johnson and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson visited Christie in Seattle, sealing the deal.

Christie wasn’t even upset about his portrayal in Dallas during a 2004 playoff series. The Mavericks mocked several Kings in a pregame video that included an animated Christie being led around on a leash by his allegedly domineering wife, Jackie. The NBA fined the Mavericks $25,000.

“Life is bigger than that,” Christie said. “With all the problems in the world today, nothing is wrong with comedy.”

Jackie Christie described the video as “hilarious. It is just part of the rivalry between Sacramento and Dallas.”

The Christies have a unique series of hand signals they exchange during games and have been filming scenes for a possible TV reality series.

“That’s my queen,” Christie said. “And when you have one, you’re going to treat her the best you can. I think a lot of things have gotten blown out of proportion. My wife loves me. She’s my No. 1 fan. She doesn’t come to every game on the road but darn near every one just to support us and make sure everything is running smooth for me.”

While Christie arrives as a known commodity, the Mavericks gambled on 7-foot DeSagana Diop, the other major off-season acquisition.

He’s big (280 pounds), athletic and was considered a potentially dominant center when Cleveland picked him eighth in the 2001 draft. But he has limited offensive skills and hasn’t developed a feel for the game. He got into the doghouse of former coach Paul Silas in Cleveland and saw his playing time dip last season.

Briefly: Owner Mark Cuban said the transactions completed the Mavericks’ summer, although the team has a history of making major acquisitions just before training camp. “Different era … different coach, different approach,” Cuban said. “So we’re done.”

Avery Johnson dodged a question about Rolando Blackman’s probable move from director of player development to assistant coach, saying an announcement will come next week.

Cuban said negotiations are progressing with center Shawn Bradley, expected to retire later this summer.

Tariq Abdul-Wahad, who has not played since the 2002-03 season because of a knee injury, will either be traded or released, Cuban said.

E-mail ccarlton@dallasnews.com
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE: Christie 'giddy' to play for Mavericks

Welcome aboard Doug!

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #3
Red-Phase

Red-Phase is on a distinguished road

hey. wooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!!
Red-Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

giddy like a lil school girl!
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but does anyone have any Christie highlight videos? I've been searchin on google but haven't found anything worthwhile yet.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

god I hope he ditches those hand signals, what a whip.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he won't and just like in the case of Jimmy and the cracked corn.....I just don't care.

if Douggy brings the D and smooth ball movement....he can throw whatever sign to whomever he wishes and I'll be fine...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to despise watching walker brick free throws, I'm going to maybe puke on the person in front of me if I have to watch that all year. Maybe if he only does it at the ft line, I can close my eyes.

Or better yet, marquis will beat him out and I won't have to watch it.

Ugh...I wonder if he does it before every layup in warmups. Or when he's on the ground being stretched out by a trainer..ugh...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

No way, best thing to do is have fun with it. I'm gonna join him everytime I see him do it. It would be funny as hell to get as many people as possible to do the hand signal. Of course we'd be risking Mrs. Christie to mow us down with a M 60. It sure would be funny though.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote