Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all
Default Donnie on the Mav's

Winged Cats
Donnie Flies Thru Mavs Summer

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
My visit with Mavs president Donnie Nelson, a conversation which covers: 1) the improbability of Paul Pierce as a Mav; 2) the legitimacy of considering this summer's big "trade'' a Michael Finley-for-Doug Christie swap; 3) cautious optimism regarding the youth injected into a club expected to be as good as last year's 58-win team; and 4) a Maui-based marijuana-clouded poker party featuring trippy actor Owen Wilson, dippy musician Willie Nelson and Donnie's dad.

"It's been an interesting summer, that's for sure,'' Donnie says, and when I relay to him that owner Mark Cuban said "We're done,'' Nelson feigns exhaustion and says, "I hope he's right.''
Donnie says talk of the Celtics' Paul Pierce being available is "pie in the sky.'' He adds, "I don't think you can ever say for sure you're done; what if a great opportunity is dumped into our laps? But Paul ain't going anywhere.''
Besides, Nelson says, "we all like the pieces. we're a little bit younger than we were in the past, but also a lot better defensively. We've got some young players who are rangy and can guard different positions, and that was a big priority. We really like our team.''
Donnie begins to break down the roster: "Dirk is Dirk. And you've got some nice, interesting young athletic pieces around him. Josh Howard emerged to make the most of the opportunity given him. Marquis (Daniels) was on that path until he got injured. Devin (Harris) is clearly on that path. We're going to give these young cats a chance to spread their wings.''
Excuse the mixed metaphors (cats have wings?); Donnie's excited about a youthful core group, and that's OK -- assuming, of course, that we can really consider Daniels and Devin, backup players who were not pivotal pieces to last year's club, to be part of a core group.
Responds Nelson: "With youth you have to go throuth a certain period of adjustment, adjustment as guys gain experience. Some mistakes will be made as they mature, but you must be patient with young guys and meanwhile let the veterans carry the heavy weight until they're ready.''
Sounds good, Donnie, but in the case of Daniels especially, is seems that just like last year, the crowd of veterans in front of him might prevent him from developing on the floor. And it seems he wasn't exactly a fave of Avery Johnson.
"I don't really agree with that,'' counters Donnie, being polite, because it's clear he really doesn't agree with it. "AJ has made some comments (to try to clear this up), and I will: He was injured last year, so it was hard to know what he could and couldn't do, and by the time he was healthy enough to get back into the lineup, the lineup was set. So Marquis was coming from behind the whole way. This summer, Marquis and AJ had the chance to work together in the summer league. AJ knows what Marquis can do now. He saw him play some point, knows he has good size at the point, is becoming a good decision-maker. ... AJ is just kind of getting comfortable with what he can bring to the table.''

I ask Donnie if it's fair to view the exit of Michael Finley and the entrance of Doug Christie as a trade of sorts -- and whether he considers it an even swap.
"Yes, I do,'' he says. "Mike just provided us with a lot of different things. Some of those things may be replaceable, some may not be. But in Doug, we've got a pretty unique package. He's been to the Finals, he's had all kinds of success, he's a help on the court and he's a really good chemistry-leadership guy off it. Those are the types of things our team now kinda needs. He's also defense-oriented, can guard the 2 and the 3 and some 1, too, which gives AJ a nice gear to go to against some of the taller point guards in the West.
And Christie's offense?
"On the offensive side of it, he has the ability to play a sort of point forward,'' Donnie says. "He can free up Jason (Terry) and Devin Harris to come off screens and be scorers, something they can certainly do. Doug fits into our team look. In the past, we've gone through Dirk, not just to create for himself but in situations where he had to create for teammates. And it was on him. Now, with Doug, we've got another guy who can do that. Doug creates for other players.''

I tell Donnie that while I'm happy to have an assortment of projects at the back end of the roster -- and happier that they're 7-foot projects -- I'm not happy that one of them is actually going to be asked to play substantial minutes. He tries to straighten me out regarding DeSagana Diop.
"Here's the deal with 'Gana: He was four years in the league playing behind a darn good center in Big Z in Cleveland. I look at it as the same kind of thing as Swen Nater.''
Huh?
When Swen Nater was at UCLA, he was playing behind Abdul-Jabbar. Nobody knew what he could do until he hit the NBA and he became a valuable center for years. This kid has just never seen the light of day and we want to give him the opportunity. We want him to have a Hunter-type years, and instead of signing that guy (Hunter), we create our own guy like that here.''
Translated, Nelson is saying that Diop is an opportunity away from being another Hunter. ... a compelling point. (We won't tough with a 7-foot pole the idea of him being another Nater.) But why not acquire a surer bet at backup center?
"Each one of the other guys offered a combination of little things that made it not work,'' Nelson says. "Money has it's place. Also playing time. Hunter was that. It wasn't just financial. We couldn't sit there behind Erick Dampier and promise 30 minutes a game to somebody. I can't lie to a kid or an agent. It was all part of the marketplace.''

I go bottom line: Are the Mavs better?
"That's the hard question,'' says Donnie, hesitating. "The 58 wins was the second most in the franchise, so you never want to slap yourself up against that. But I don't think we're any worse.''

Speaking of doing well. ... I ask Donnie about his dad. You remember Don Nelson, don't you? One of the architects of this program that is now so accomplished that when Donnie essentially informs you that this can be a 58-game winner again, you're not certain if you're satisfied?
Says Donnie: "Dad, he's doing great! I just talked to him. He's looking forward to getting back to Big D. But right now, he's in Maui, living the life of Riley. He's out playing poker with Owen Wilson and Willie Nelson and some other celebrity types. You know, it's hard to function with the kind of stuff that floats around in the air at those poker games.'' Back

Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Donnie on the Mav's

Thanks for posting, Eman.

It's encouraging to read that they haven't given up on Daniels yet. I'm not still convinced about 'Gana. I just hope DJ develops enough to make him moot.

As discussed already, Christie if healthy would be a very nice addition given he could be guarding TMac, Nash or Manu in the playoffs. I view him as our version of Horry (only w/o the 6 rings).
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Donnie on the Mav's

EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Erica, you have two KVH's and no Pavel...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

suppposed to be a depth chart, and I figured he'd be in the NDBL

(also really a pain to find a good pic of his face, put it on someone's body, smooth it out, extract a mavs jersey, paste it on, smooth it out, find the appropriate numbers, extract, number, etc.....) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After changing Armstrong's, KVH and Diop's jerseys, and doing Powell and Marshall fom scratch I got tired.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Who is 3rd shooting guard in that picture?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

thats marshall

but i would imagine it to be

christie, stack, daniels

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
SiberianShaq

SiberianShaq is on a distinguished road

Keith Van Horn is wearing #44 this year?
SiberianShaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You should have just slapped an unaltered pic of Jackie Christie in there. She's gonna be in every effin game.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
You should have just slapped an unaltered pic of Jackie Christie in there. She's gonna be in every effin game.

ugh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Genius.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
Forum line of the week.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

why doesn't cuban just hire her as one of the 25 assistant coaches?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #14
drummerboy256

drummerboy256 is on a distinguished road

KVH's number has been 44 for years but obviously had already been taken when he got here, now that bradleys gone he can have it back

drummerboy256 is offline   Reply With Quote