Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #441
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

They definitely mentioned the record for turnovers on SportsCenter, immediately following the points record.

It's much easier to overlook the turnovers as the Knicks are winning. Also, ball control is something that can be learned/practiced. He's not used to having the ball in his hands this much, or playing this many minutes. He's the Nash in D'antoni's system - remember Nash's TO's per game increased in the D'antoni system, to over 3 a game (some seasons over 3.5) - just the nature of that system, that relies so heavily on the PG.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #442
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Whenever his scoring is quoted, so are his turnovers.
That's just a flat out lie, but you've already shown you aren't going to be anywhere near objective when it comes to Lin.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #443
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
They definitely mentioned the record for turnovers on SportsCenter, immediately following the points record.

It's much easier to overlook the turnovers as the Knicks are winning. Also, ball control is something that can be learned/practiced. He's not used to having the ball in his hands this much, or playing this many minutes. He's the Nash in D'antoni's system - remember Nash's TO's per game increased in the D'antoni system, to over 3 a game (some seasons over 3.5) - just the nature of that system, that relies so heavily on the PG.
I didn't see it, but they certainly haven't showed it repeatedly like they have his other record (which I've seen displayed 12 times on Sportscenter in a mere 2 days).
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #444
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it on ESPN.com and heard it on multiple podcasts. Not sure why you're tripping and hating on this kid.

He's doing great. That's all I've said.

Relax.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 02-16-2012 at 12:15 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #445
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
That's just a flat out lie, but you've already shown you aren't going to be anywhere near objective when it comes to Lin.
But you are the master of that, right?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #446
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

No one is denying the guy turns the ball over. But he's scoring, distributing the ball, and the knicks are on a 6-game win streak since he started logging heavy minutes. Of course people are going to focus on the positive.

He only had 1 TO against the Nets, and 2 against the wizards, both in 36 minutes of play. so it's not like he's losing the ball every game. I'd imagine the TO's have more to do with fatigue than anything else.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #447
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No one is denying the guy turns the ball over. But he's scoring, distributing the ball, and the knicks are on a 6-game win streak since he started logging heavy minutes. Of course people are going to focus on the positive.

He only had 1 TO against the Nets, and 2 against the wizards, both in 36 minutes of play. so it's not like he's losing the ball every game. I'd imagine the TO's have more to do with fatigue than anything else.
Yeah, everybody knows he's turning it over. It's his scoring, passing and winning that's most worth printing though. If they start losing, the turnovers will get the limelight.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #448
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/20...-of-fame-level

Ok so not exactly a bias-free site or post, but it's nice to look at some numbers.
Interesting that his usage rate is so high.

"So why does he have so many turnovers? His usage rate is the highest of all the point guards on the list; in fact, he's 5th among all players, ahead of Kevin Durant, and just a bit behind Carmelo and Lebron. He's been relied upon to make plays for and carry this team almost all the time he's on the floor, and he's been on that floor a disproportionate amount of the time compared to his teammates. This naturally results in more turnovers. Factor in the fatigue involved with such high minutes and usage and the turnover situation can seem to get a little out of control. As a result, you end up with a stinky Assist:Turnover ratio despite good play. Now, that isn't to say that Lin couldn't be doing more to rein his TO's in, as he certainly plays aggressively and sometimes, recklessly. But he isn't as bad as simply looking at the number of turnovers would suggest. He's been pretty damn good. Hope he keeps it up. If he can, those Stockton and Nash comparisons might not be so ridiculous after all."
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #449
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Thanks, scoobay, that's what I was getting at with the discussion on d'Antoni's system. It really uses the PG. not surprised to see his usage rate so high.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #450
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Simply don't understand the Lin hate. Cad, does your real name rhyme with Moyd Layfeather?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #451
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, scoobay, that's what I was getting at with the discussion on d'Antoni's system. It really uses the PG. not surprised to see his usage rate so high.
You can't have it both ways. A lot of his points & assists are due to high usage and minutes in the Dan Toni system. Raymond freaking Felton looked like an all-star under Dan Toni. People want to totally ignore this, but use the same points as excuses for his turnovers. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Look, Lin has played very very good ball, and it's a great story. I'm not denying that. I'd just like to see some objectivity applied when discussing him.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #452
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male30Dan View Post
Simply don't understand the Lin hate. Cad, does your real name rhyme with Moyd Layfeather?
Jason Whitlock was worse. Did you see what he said? I guarantee if a White reporter had pulled that, he'd be fired.

Last edited by CadBane; 02-16-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #453
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jason Whitlock was worse. Did you see what he said? I guarantee if a White reporter had pulled that, he'd be fired.
Indeed I did. Iggy jumped in as well recently.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #454
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. A lot of his points & assists are due to high usage and minutes in the Dan Toni system. Raymond freaking Felton looked like an all-star under Dan Toni. People want to totally ignore this, but use the same points as excuses for his turnovers. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Look, Lin has played very very good ball, and it's a great story. I'm not denying that. I'd just like to see some objectivity applied when discussing him.
Most fans of the NBA don't care about the "objectivity" you place on a pedestal. Rather, they are enjoying being entertained by an incredibly interesting phenomenon.

Not to get too "meta" on you...but that might be something you should include in your assessment.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #455
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:

i think the main counter i'd give to it being just the system is that Lin is shooting 50% from the field. Don't have to look too far if you're wanting to find someone that'll just dominate the rock and jack up all kinds of junk just to fill up on points (cough, Melo)

What did Felton shoot last year under Dantoni? 42.3%.

here of course you'd argue sample size, but so far he's playing very very well and it's not just 'system'. He's playing in the system yes but he's making those opportunities count whether scoring or distributing. (5+ TO/game in the last 7 is putrid - he's got stuff to work on no doubt)

all that aside, it's fun watching him play. another bundle of TO's tonight, but also tons of nice assists.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #456
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:

I think I'm being very objective. I've acknowledged the turnovers - how can you not? It's a fact that he is turning the ball over, and he needs to improve that aspect of his game (which is a teachable skill). But did you even look at the link scoobay posted? Highest usage rate among PGs, lower TO% than most of them, (most notably Nash).

Of course a higher usage rate results in more shots and points. That's why it's important to look at the percentages. FG%, TO%, AST% tell the story.

At this point you're arguing with no one. Arguing for the sake of arguing. You're not being objective, but on the negative end of the spectrum. Pot, meet Kettle.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #457
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
We agree on something - that was ludicrous. Did he ever issue an apology?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #458
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Make it a 7 game win streak. More TOs last night, but he brought it down to 6!

13 assists. He had a 4X5 (if you count turnovers...)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #459
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

I simply can't think of an instance when I had cake and didn't eat it ....
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #460
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfg7 View Post
I simply can't think of an instance when I had cake and didn't eat it ....
ha ha, i've always hated that figure of speech myself - for exactly what you just said.

But i just looked it up. it's origins were actually the reverse - would you be able to eat your cake, then still have it afterwards? Which is obviously impossible, and is the intent of the saying. So the meaning still stands, but the way it has been twisted around doesn't really make sense anymore.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #461
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy Lin for president!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #462
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Why would he be fired for insulting someone of Asian descent when insults African-Americans daily? Fox sports love his shock writing and has done so for years.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #463
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

At least Lin's turnovers aren't THIS bad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhJvgKNUCI
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #464
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

j0shi, feel like you'd appreciate this:

The Delivery Guy Who Saw Jeremy Lin Coming

Quote:
In May 2010, an unsung numbers hobbyist named Ed Weiland wrote a long-term forecast of Jeremy Lin for the basketball website Hoops Analyst. At the time, Lin was a lightly regarded, semi-known point guard who had completed his final season at Harvard. But Weiland saw NBA material. He emphasized how well Lin played in three nonconference games against big schools: Connecticut, Boston College and Georgetown. He noted how Lin's performance in two unsexy statistical categories—two-point field-goal percentage (a barometer of inside scoring ability) and RSB40 (rebounds, steals and blocks per 40 minutes) compared favorably with college numbers put up by marquee NBA guards like Allen Iverson and Gary Payton. Weiland concluded that Lin had to improve on his passing and leadership at the point, but argued that if he did, "Jeremy Lin is a good enough player to start in the NBA and possibly star."
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #465
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I think I'm being very objective. I've acknowledged the turnovers - how can you not? It's a fact that he is turning the ball over, and he needs to improve that aspect of his game (which is a teachable skill). But did you even look at the link scoobay posted? Highest usage rate among PGs, lower TO% than most of them, (most notably Nash).

Of course a higher usage rate results in more shots and points. That's why it's important to look at the percentages. FG%, TO%, AST% tell the story.

At this point you're arguing with no one. Arguing for the sake of arguing. You're not being objective, but on the negative end of the spectrum. Pot, meet Kettle.
I wasn't speaking of you being not objective, but rather people in general. I'm not arguing with no one, I'm arguing with people that think the guy is a lock to be a future all-star.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #466
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

wonder where Roddy would be if Carlisle played him through 8 TOs and gave him free reign to be aggressive without fear.

I like Lin but it really makes you wonder how many players could be great if they were given the PT at the point to learn without being yanked.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #467
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wasn't speaking of you being not objective, but rather people in general. I'm not arguing with no one, I'm arguing with people that think the guy is a lock to be a future all-star.
Well, when you quote me and say there's no objectivity, that's the inference I make.

Also, not sure who is claiming he's a future all-star... maybe smc is the only one? Everyone else seems to be thinking it's a great story and he could be a factor in the league.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #468
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
wonder where Roddy would be if Carlisle played him through 8 TOs and gave him free reign to be aggressive without fear.

I like Lin but it really makes you wonder how many players could be great if they were given the PT at the point to learn without being yanked.
Like under Nellie...

Also add the fact that d'antoni was on a VERY hot seat - he was willing to try anything and stick with it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #469
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Lin added to the rookie game along with Norris Cole. He goes in the 2nd round to Shaq.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #470
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
j0shi, feel like you'd appreciate this:

The Delivery Guy Who Saw Jeremy Lin Coming
Nice, thx. Others call these "hustle-stats" (REBs, STLs, BLKs). I keep my eye on them as well and include fouls. Whenever a player is able to produce in these three categories without fouling it's a very good sign in terms of basketball smarts, because you can't just be over-aggressive to push these stats without fouling more often.

Very nice call from that dude, although I lack a solid research if "hustle-stats" indeed are a good approach to future performance. For now I'd stick to my "play now, benefit later" suggestion, because it's well documented.

Lin has been added to the Rookie Game. All good things happen to this guy right now and you gotta love it. It's a once-in-a-decade story, if at all. It's when circumstances meet talent and an otherwise improbable saga unfolds in front of our eyes. Brilliant.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #471
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Quote:
Like under Nellie...

Also add the fact that d'antoni was on a VERY hot seat - he was willing to try anything and stick with it.
It's a combination of skill set as well as system and opportunity.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #472
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Well, when you quote me and say there's no objectivity, that's the inference I make.

Also, not sure who is claiming he's a future all-star... maybe smc is the only one? Everyone else seems to be thinking it's a great story and he could be a factor in the league.
It was pretty obvious that I wasn't speaking of you and objectivity. I quoted you with regard to usage & turnovers/points.

Tons of people are claiming him a future all-star. You do realize that people outside of this board are discussing him, right? Check out RealGM sometime.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #473
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I follow a lot of Sports & NBA people (and fans) on twitter - none are claiming him to be a future all-star. In fact, i follow an asian knicks fan (netw3rk) who tweets about Lin all the time, and even he has a level head about it. i have yet to hear anyone say that he is a future all-star.

The consensus is that it's a great story, it's great for the knicks, it's great for asian-americans, and he can be a contributor in the NBA. ESPN talks about him all the time because it is THE story in the NBA right now - but i've never heard even one of their sensationalist anchors claim him to be all-star material.

If your only other sample is RealGM, then so be it. I don't venture over there.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-16-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #474
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I follow a lot of Sports & NBA people (and fans) on twitter - none are claiming him to be a future all-star. In fact, i follow an asian knicks fan (netw3rk) who tweets about Lin all the time, and even he has a level head about it. i have yet to hear anyone say that he is a future all-star.

The consensus is that it's a great story, it's great for the knicks, it's great for asian-americans, and he can be a contributor in the NBA. ESPN talks about him all the time because it is THE story in the NBA right now - but i've never heard even one of their sensationalist anchors claim him to be all-star material.

If you're only other sample is RealGM, then so be it. I don't venture over there.
You probably shouldn't make finite statements when you're flat-out wrong.

"I follow a lot of Sports & NBA people (and fans) on twitter - none are claiming him to be a future all-star."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...ame/53111474/1

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...game-poll.html

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/15/sh...-nba-all-star/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...-lines-on-lin/

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ll-star-game/1

Want a re-do?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #475
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Are those people i follow? No - want your own re-do? I never said no one EVER has said it - i said of what I have seen (my own timeline and sportscenter) i have not heard it.

In regard to your links - those are sensationalist articles, and every single one of them is ridiculous. Those are people writing/grasping at straws. I don't respect the opinion of a single one of them. I don't consider any of those to be worthy Sports/NBA people. USA Today? Seriously?

It is ridiculous to even begin to request that Lin be an all-star this season. Every single one of those writers should be ashamed.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #476
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody just posted a link to a USA today article...about sports..*snicker*.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #477
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are those people i follow? No - want your own re-do? I never said no one EVER has said it - i said of what I have seen (my own timeline and sportscenter) i have not heard it.

In regard to your links - those are sensationalist articles, and every single one of them is ridiculous. Those are people writing/grasping at straws. I don't respect the opinion of a single one of them. I don't consider any of those to be worthy Sports/NBA people. USA Today? Seriously?

It is ridiculous to even begin to request that Lin be an all-star this season. Every single one of those writers should be ashamed.

I don't think they're trying to make basketball points....just saying it would make the game more entertaining....or that it would cause more interest in the game. (I'm not sure they are wrong about that) I clicked on a few of them, didn't look like anyone was making a merit-based case for Lin playing in the ASG. Not sure if cadban bothered reading his own links.

Edit: Stand corrected, the cbs writer is a nutso, but I can't say I've ever heard of him.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-16-2012 at 11:11 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #478
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Even from an entertainment standpoint, or a huge asian fanbase standpoint, it's still ridiculous in terms of worthiness (although yes, it would generate buzz). Would be slightly better than vince making it the year he was injured.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #479
CadBane
Banned

Quote:

Yes, because random fans on Twitter hold more credence than USA Today...

You stated that you have not seen anyone saying anything of this nature as though that makes it so. It's not.

I'm not saying *you* agree with them. Heck, I don't even oppose your position on Lin. I'm just saying that there *are* people that are jumping the gun on Lin. More than you'd think. Thus my cry for more objectivity in general concerning Lin.

Last edited by CadBane; 02-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #480
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I don't think they're trying to make basketball points....just saying it would make the game more entertaining....or that it would cause more interest in the game. (I'm not sure they are wrong about that) I clicked on a few of them, didn't look like anyone was making a merit-based case for Lin playing in the ASG. Not sure if cadban bothered reading his own links.

Edit: Stand corrected, the cbs writer is a nutso, but I can't say I've ever heard of him.
Not sure you read them, actually. Isn't there a meatloaf that needs cooking?

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 41mvp=funny bunny, bancad, ben&jerry's, cad vs chum, cadbane is always right, cadchokesondick, cadeatsshitcereal, cadhatesasians, cadreadsusatoday, chumbusey=oxygenthief, faking objectivity, getbackinthekitchenmary, getbackonyourkneescad, jeremy lin, jthig farted, lin = goat, lin-1 cadbane-0, mavsfanuofvagina, objectivehaterinhere, racism, return of the quack!, slow to admit, stuckonstupid, too many tags