Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all
Default Stackhouse chat

chat

Jerry Stackhouse Chat Transcript

Dallas Mavericks' guard Jerry Stackhouse joined the fans for a live chat on Tuesday, Aug. 23.

Stackhouse was drafted out of the University of North Carolina as the third overall pick by the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1997 NBA Draft and has also played in Detroit and Washington. With Detroit in the 2000-01 season, Stackhouse was second in the NBA in scoring with an average of 29.8 ppg.

He came off the bench last year with the Mavericks finishing fourth in the balloting for the 2004-05 NBA Sixth Man Award.

On Saturday, Aug. 27, Stackhouse will host the World's Greatest Alumni Game at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, NC. A few of the players set to play are fellow Tarheels; Antawn Jamison, Sean May, Marvin Williams, Vince Carter, and a few others like New Orleans Hornets' Chris Paul and JR Smith, and Mavs' teammates Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels.

If you missed the live chat, here is the transcript.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron, Dallas: I heard today that Christie may be starting next season, are you allright with being the sixth man again next year?

Jerry Stackhouse: Yeah. That's Avery's call, whatever he thinks is best for the team. Although I would never turn down a starting role, I am comfortable and ready to assume the sixth man role too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nate, san diego: Jerry - How long have you been runnin' the alumni game at carolina and what's it like?

Jerry Stackhouse: This is the third year and it's been a lot of fun. We have a big weekend and everyone has a good time. All the former players, not just the guys who are still in the NBA..guys like Walter Davis and Sam Perkins come down...and we put on a great basketball game and have a lot of fun. [For more information click here]

Shawn (New York): Wassup Jerry. UNC had a great class enter the League this year, what do you atribute the UNC's high rate of success to enter the league and do you guys get together in the summer to play pick up ball?

Jerry Stackhouse: I think the new guys coming in will do well. The guys won the national championship last year..and some of those guys didn't even make the tournament their first year, which is a testament to them...how good and how dedicated they were. So, I think the talent coming in is there most of the time at UNC.

JJ from ATL: Do you think the Mavs will do better, the same, or worse? + Why did you pick #42 for your jersey?

Jerry Stackhouse: I definitely feel we will be a better team next year. We have pretty much the same team...except for losing Finley in the Amnesty Rule....so I think we will be even better. I wear No. 42 because my brother wore No. 24 at Florida State, so I turned that around and also, I was always a big James Worthy fan and he wore No. 42.

Kevin B (Fountain Valley, CA) : Who was your favorite basketball idols or heroes when you were growing up? Thank you for chatting with us. Also I think that you are a fantastic player and that I enjoy watching you play ball very much. Good luck with the new season!!!

Jerry Stackhouse: Thank you. Coming from North Carolina, watching Jordan and Worthy and Perkins coming up was big. In the pros I was a big Magic Johnson fan, especially when Worthy went to the Lakers. Another one, maybe a strange one, is that I always liked Kevin McHale. His post moves were so good. I thought maybe I'd be a seven-footer and I could play like him, but I stopped growing, so I had to leave Kevin McHale alone!

tom, indy: It seems you get to the foul line alot -is that a focus for you?

Jerry Stackhouse: Yeah. Being a scorer, free throws are an important part of the game. You're shot is not always going to score, some nights, you can get it going, and even though you're having a tough shooting night, you need to score points for your team and you can do that from the line.

Robert Slick Murrell: Where did you get your free throw style from as far as bending you legs as much as you do? You are my favorite NBA player of all time I just love the way you go about playing the game. I am very proud of you.

Jerry Stackhouse: Thank you. My mother would always yell from the stands, whenever I missed a free throw, she'd yell "Bend Your Knees!" So, I just started bending them, so they would go in. (Laughing)

Fort Worth, Tx.: Have you ever been or would you like to perform in a gospel concert? You certainly have the singing talent.

Jerry Stackhouse: Yeah, I've sang in the church choir growing up. Later on, I may have some aspirations to do a gospel album. Maybe I need to hook up with you!

hank, texas: Jerry - We have a lot of steak restaurants down here and I was wondering if you ever thought of opening a Stackhouse's Steakhouse?

Jerry Stackhouse: I love steak, and if someone comes in with a nice franchise offer, I'll listen. (Laughing).

Suzanne in Plano: Dear Jerry, We've watched you play since Chapel Hill and love having you w/the Mavs! We recently heard the tail end of an interview you did w/the Ticket and you mentioned a death in your family (?) What family member was this? If we heard correctly- we are so sorry-

Jerry Stackhouse: I think you may have heard incorrectly. But I appreciate the sympathy if that was the case.

Andy (Charlotte): How would you compare the coaching styles of Don Nelson and Avery Johnson?

Jerry Stackhouse: Nellie is definitely an offensive minded coach, while Avery is more focused on defense. Avery wants us to score the ball, but he wants us to get stops too. Every coach has their own wrinkles, but the big change from Nellie to AJ was the defensive approach.

Val (Toronto): Do any of your kids play basketball?

Jerry Stackhouse: Yeah. My oldest is eight and he's pretty good. He can shoot with both hands and he is doing well. They also play football and baseball. The real special one might be my daughter who is six. She might be the first WNBA player to dunk the ball consistently. You should see her jumping off the diving board. She has great leaping ability. Plus, she can shoot way better than I could at age 6.

Jay (New Jersey): What is the most memorable moment in your carrer?

Jerry Stackhouse: Wow. I had lots of great moments. As a team, winning the central division championship, with Detroit. We had big turnaround that year. In college, making the Final Four was great, even though we lost to Arkansas. Also in college, winning the most outstanding player award in the ACC when I was a freshman.

Francis (Toronto): What parts of your game would you still like to work on?

Jerry Stackhouse: I think I work on all parts of my game. I think my three-point percentage needs to get up and I want to improve that. I want to get up over 38-percent from the three-point line. I have a knack for hitting big threes, but I want to improve my consistency.

KG (DC): Jerry, what is your perspective on the comparisons with the East and West. It seems as though that the East is beginning to match up, power wise, with the west? Can you see the East be the power force in years to come?

Jerry Stackhouse: I think that makes for good barbershop banter. Shaq leaving the West is one factor, but we have lots of teams that run up and down and score in the West. But Detroit and now Miami are big and strong, so that is what people are talking about. But remember, San Antonio just won the title and Tim Duncan, even though he is a finesse player, he is a powerful man and the Spurs are the NBA champions. So, go figure.

Bethel- Houston, TX: Yo what's up Mr. Stackhouse. I would just like to say, gummy bears? before every game? That's quite interesting, care to explain?

Jerry Stackhouse: Every game! Same thing, back to my Mom. She used to bring me gummy bears before the game from the mall. I stuck with that, it was my energy. I'm picky with it though. The only brand I eat is Haribo. Just Haribo.

Greg, Cedar Rapids, IA: What do you think is the biggest misconception about you or your team?

Jerry Stackhouse: One misconception I hear is that I really take pride in my defense. Against the top players I really try and come out on top against them. I pride myself on scoring more points than the guy I'm guarding. The last guy who ever really came at me and got big numbers was Michael Jordan. And he's retired. So I'm tired of hearing that Stackhouse is soft on defense. I was like third on our team in blocked shots last year. I also don't think I'm selfish, because I pass the ball too. But this is what happens sometimes. If you can score the ball and your team needs you to score, sometimes automatically, people think you're not passing the ball, but that isn't always the case. I work for assists too. Those are a few misconceptions from my view.

Robert (Canada):Hey Stack, what's your all time favourite basketball movie, or sports movie?

Jerry Stackhouse: I really like Any Given Sunday as my alltime sports movie. That one and Jerry McGuire. I also, basketball wise, I love Blue Chips, even though most people don't like it as much as me.

Jerry Stackhouse: Thanks for logging on and spending some time with me. We're working really hard to bring a championship to Dallas, so all you Mavs fans keep supporting us, we're working hard.

Copyright 2005 NBA Media Ventures, LLC. All rights reserved.

Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stackhouse chat

Quote:
One misconception I hear is that I really take pride in my defense.
You might have wanted to phrase that a bit differently, Stack.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Stackhouse chat

ATTN: Fin

Jerry Stackhouse: Yeah. Being a scorer, free throws are an important part of the game. You're shot is not always going to score, some nights, you can get it going, and even though you're having a tough shooting night, you need to score points for your team and you can do that from the line
Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

i love stack. hes very underated as a mav. hes aggressive and takes it hard to the rack about 80% of the time. im glad hes a mav, i see him averaging about 18 ppg this season.
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

6th man of the year. Book it.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
One misconception I hear is that I really take pride in my defense.
You might have wanted to phrase that a bit differently, Stack.
haha

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you can score the ball and your team needs you to score, sometimes automatically, people think you're not passing the ball, but that isn't always the case. I work for assists too.
If you pass to Stack, he will try to score. If he cannot or is double-teamed, he will go for the assist. He will also go for the assist on a break, if he is covered.

However, playing team offense means a lot more than "getting an assist." It can mean realizing that you aren't the only guy on the court that can score. The problem with stack is that he doesn't understand getting a pass and immediately passing to move the ball to the other end of the court, for example. Or post-repost and common things like that.

I like an aggresive attitude, but I think stack always sees himself as the best scorer on the floor.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

Francis (Toronto): What parts of your game would you still like to work on?

Jerry Stackhouse: I think I work on all parts of my game. I think my three-point percentage needs to get up and I want to improve that. I want to get up over 38-percent from the three-point line. I have a knack for hitting big threes, but I want to improve my consistency.

If he really can get above 38 percent, that would be great. But over ten years in the NBA he is a 30 percent 3p shooter. If he can't get better I hope he can realize it and stop shooting a lot 3's. Instead he should continue to go strong to the hoop.
But it would be nice if he can add a consistent 3 Point shot.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

thanks for this and stackhouse 6th man of the year
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I always tried to cut Stackhouse a break when it comes to scoring. Mainly b/c i think Nelson/Johnson asked him to look for his shot sometimes. Also, other than Dirk and probably Terry, he's the best finisher on the team when he attempts to create his own shot.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
SanAntonioMavericksFan

SanAntonioMavericksFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs414
Hate to divide the team, but if KVH plays at the same level as last year, he should take the award.
SanAntonioMavericksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a bad read. THanks for posting Julius.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: SanAntonioMavericksFan
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs414
Hate to divide the team, but if KVH plays at the same level as last year, he should take the award.
I agree. KVBooth did a great job when he came in last season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think killer only has a chance if he plays with dirk more. If not he just won't get the time that stack will replacing ugh.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 AM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

wasnt stack supposed to be 6th man of the year last year too =p

im saying next year's winner will be antonio mcdyess barring any injury..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 AM   #16
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I think killer only has a chance if he plays with dirk more. If not he just won't get the time that stack will replacing ugh.
This "ugh"-thing won't catch on - give it up dude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
wasnt stack supposed to be 6th man of the year last year too =p
He would have been if he hadn't been injured for almost 1/3 of the season...
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote