Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

For the life of me, I can't figure out what they will do. I have this bizaare feeling we are going to end up with Leftwich.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i hope we do.

hes the best pick in the draft. a total stud. we have two spares for qb's and i'll take leftwich and his rocket for an arm + his leadership over what we currently have.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:44 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

edit
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Actually I have heard rumors that the boys will not draft a QB and will wait to see what Miami does with Ray Lucus. The rumor going is that Miami will let go of Lucas and will pick up Brian Griese. I don't know if thats a good thing for Dallas, but its the going rumor at the moment.

Now the question is, does Lucas or Hutch start for the Boys next year?

Does Parcells just go into training camp with no starter in mind and let those 3 (including quincy) just duke it out and the best one standing is the starter?

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< gotta stick with hutch. no reason to draft leftwich at this point.
if available, go with newman..if not, look for scuggs or possibly an OT
>>

why?

he's shown just as much as quincy as this point, which is a big pile of nothing.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Hey, I am for taking the best guy available, and if that is a QB, then so be it. Hutch may or may not have potential. But I am not willing to bank on Hutch if there is a sure thing on the board.

And if Palmer drops down to 5, I will be pissed if the Cowboys pass on him.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

edit
Old 04-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Cowboys can't afford to have 3 crappy QB's on their roster either. They have an out with Hutch after this year; Quincy the next. The QB problem clears itself up very quickly. I won't draft a QB if there is a better player on the board, but I won't pass on a franchise QB because of Hutch and Quincy.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:46 AM   #9
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

<< Cowboys can't afford to have 3 crappy QB's on their roster either. They have an out with Hutch after this year; Quincy the next. The QB problem clears itself up very quickly. I won't draft a QB if there is a better player on the board, but I won't pass on a franchise QB because of Hutch and Quincy. >>

well said.

i would almost be willing to deal whatever you could get for either hutch or quincy and draft leftwich. combine some picks, move up in the draft and try to get a CB.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Palmer will not drop to #5....you can bet the house on that. I think the Cowboys take Newman from KSU.

As for Lucas, he would be a great mentor if the 'boys go with Hutch. Look for Carter to be cut or moved to DB. Lucas is a smart guy and can also be a backup kicker if needed. The guy is NOT a starter though...but he is a great mentor.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

i see no reason not to give hutch the opportunity to play QB this year..if he's not the future, they can address that issue in next years draft.

the 5th slot should be ideal for getting the best player in the draft..
and with Newman alongside Ross and Williams, the cowboys secondary will be set for years to come
Old 04-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

SIMMS!!!!!!!!

just kidding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

If Newman is there,you have to do it. He's the best defensive player in the draft, despite his age (soon to be 25) and the questions about his shoulder).
Old 04-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

I have no problem taking Newman. I didn't realize he was almost 25. I am somewhat reluctant to take players that old in the draft, particulary running backs and linemen. But a corner is a corner.

Old 04-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

yep, he's an old one..
but, regardless, shut down corners don't come along that often
Old 04-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #16
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

sorry Murph....but it's shutdown corner/kick returner/wide receiver. At KS, he did all of these extremely well and. I'd expect more of that from him in the NFL.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #17
Dooby
Diamond Member

And who recruited Newman? The great Coach Phil Bennett, that is who. It all comes back to SMU. Go Ponies!

Old 04-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

good point OP. on returns, he's almost on a level by himself..similar to d.sanders.
he just looks like he's gliding and can turn it on at any time..blowing everyone away
Old 04-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #19
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

My friends are convinced they will not draft a QB &amp; will &quot;show faith&quot; w/Chad. And until they show me differently, I am convinced the Boys will completely blow this pick to hell.

Question. Are we getting a new kicker? Billy has been less than steller.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

ames- we will not draft a qb in the first 2-3 rounds. I guarantee it. As for the kicker...YES! We signed the guy who kicked a 64 yard FG in the pre-season for Denver last year. I forget his name off the top of my head, but I'll post it later if noone else does.

Newman will be the pick if he is available. Besides....when he runs out I want to yell &quot;Newman&quot; in my best Jerry Seinfeld voice.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:43 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

edit
Old 04-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #22
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

you're right, but leftwich is about a sure a thing that has come out of the draft in years. i think palmer ends up being the biggest bust in this draft.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:58 PM   #23
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

<< SIMMS!!!!!!!!

>>

I think Simms would be perfect for the Cowboys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

<<

<< SIMMS!!!!!!!!

>>

I think Simms would be perfect for the Cowboys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
>>

Sure if by perfect you mean sucks ass.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 PM   #25
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Yes, a perfect guy for the Cowboys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:54 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

edit
Old 04-23-2003, 10:28 AM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

On FoxRadio this morning, Tony whosiwhatsit said there was a report that Newman told a reporter that the Cowboys informed him they did not expect to draft him.

For the record, that is hearsay within hearsay within hearsay. Take it for what it is worth.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:30 AM   #28
Dooby
Diamond Member

SMU's Bennett high on cornerback Newman
Coach says K-State star is 'a difference maker'

04/23/2003

By RICK ALONZO / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – Phil Bennett had the luxury of coaching Terence Newman for three years at Kansas State. But every once in a while, Newman would turn on his coach.

It was nothing malicious, mind you, just a cornerback having a little fun in practice at the expense of his defensive coordinator by lining up at receiver.

&quot;When he used to want to make me mad, he'd start running routes against our other corners,&quot; said Bennett, now coach at SMU.

Nobody could cover Newman, whose multiple talents make him a top NFL prospect as the draft approaches Saturday. The Cowboys hold the No. 5 overall pick and need a shutdown cornerback. They are among the teams that rank Newman high on their draft boards.

Bennett fields phone calls on a regular basis from coaches, scouts and general managers around the league inquiring about Newman, who can all but erase a receiver from the field. Bennett said there's no question Newman is worthy of a top-five pick.

&quot;He was a player that got better every year,&quot; said Bennett, who took over as the coach at SMU after Newman's junior season. &quot;He takes coaching very well. He's a great competitor. When he came to us, he was a little bit more of a track guy than a football player. Terence will hit you. I've told all the coaches and GMs – he's a physical kid.&quot;

Newman, who had 10 interceptions at Kansas State, was an All-American in football and track. He was a two-time winner of the 100-meter dash at the Big 12 championships, and he also won the conference meet's 60-meter dash twice.

He intercepted five passes in 2002, and he also scored touchdowns on a reception, two punt returns and a kickoff return. The NFL has timed Newman (5-10, 189) at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

&quot;The reason he'll be a good pro is he's conscientious, he's a worker, he has all the tools and he'll take care of his body,&quot; Bennett said. &quot;He'll treat it as a business.&quot;

Some NFL teams apparently are uneasy about drafting Newman because of a nerve injury in his shoulder last season. The Cowboys don't appear to be one of them.

&quot;He said, 'Coach, I played through it and it's fine now,' &quot; Bennett said about a conversation he had last week with Newman. &quot;He said it was bothersome for two or three games. You're not going to get a player that goes 12 or 13 games and not have something.&quot;

Speculation continues to swirl about which player Cincinnati will draft with the No. 1 overall pick and how that choice will impact the Cowboys' options. Bennett said Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, a former defensive coordinator in Baltimore and Washington, covets Newman.

&quot;If Marvin Lewis has his way, [Newman] will be the No. 1 pick,&quot; Bennett said. &quot;I've been led to believe that.&quot;

Bennett also coached Cowboys Dat Nguyen at Texas A&amp;M and Roy Williams at Oklahoma. Bennett said Newman shares an important quality with Nguyen and Williams.

&quot;He's a difference maker, just like they are.&quot;

Old 04-23-2003, 02:00 PM   #29
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Draft the best available player period and if its palmer you at least have to think about it but more then likely trade down.

In the world of the cap teams usually only have a four year period with out salary cap implications. Newman's age shouldn't matter. They could nab Trufant with the a later pick if thats what they want to do.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Newman will be the pick if he is available. Besides....when he runs out I want to yell &quot;Newman&quot; in my best Jerry Seinfeld voice. >>

I hope so. The bums we've been running out at corner the last couple of years has made me cringe.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:48 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I agree with whoever said pick the best guy available. Other than the Safety position we have no locks on this team. That is not good. I guess we have some projects but we have no more projects then I have fingers on my hand. You go with the best guy. This is going to upset some but the qb position is overrated. Guys like Favre, McNabb or Drew Bledsoe did not win a championship last season. Brad Johnson did. You need a good qb in this league of course but I don't think you go out and stay focus on one position. You can find your qb in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:47 AM   #32
Dooby
Diamond Member

Peter King says 'Boys are likely to trade pick.

Old 04-24-2003, 11:02 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

edit
Old 04-24-2003, 11:24 AM   #34
Dooby
Diamond Member

Galloway was on ESPN Radio this morning on their mock draft (using local sports guys from each city) and said that he has word that Parcells has zero faith in any QB on the roster and may trade down and then up again, possibly to get Leftwich.

Old 04-24-2003, 11:27 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

edit
Old 04-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #36
Dooby
Diamond Member

I'll take Spags over Horsetalk 820 any day.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't believe Galloway but I don't believe Parcells has faith in Hutch either.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:09 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

<< I'll take Spags over Horsetalk 820 any day. >>

And twice on Sunday.

Can anyone find the name of the Denver kicker that we signed for ames? I can't find it. The guy kicked a 60+ yard FG in the preseason last year for the Broncos but was cut.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

I found it.

Ames- the kickers name is Ola Kimrin. He has a booming leg. He played at UTEP.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:00 PM   #40
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Awesome. Good to hear it, we need all the help we can get.

Who's going to watch this thing this weekend?