Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
DallasMavs412004

DallasMavs412004 is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs Trades?

If Dallas does anymore trades, who do you think it will be for?
Do you think we could land any all-star typr caliber players? Like: Kidd, Carter, Iverson or Peja?
Anyone like Rashard Lewis, Dampier and ect.?
DallasMavs412004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs Trades?

The Mavs have numerous trades left. I posted on the thread about Dampier:

In
Dampier
Dale Davis
Drobjnak

Out
Stackhouse
Henderson
Bradley

I expect more guys in and out besides that.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
DallasMavs412004

DallasMavs412004 is on a distinguished road

How would we get Dale Davis?
DallasMavs412004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road

The Warriors want to cut salary and Davis is a last year guy. We send them Henderson, who is a last year guy who makes less money. They can put him on IR and have insurance pick up most of the cost. Foyle is still around and I don't see them puttting out over $15 Million this year at center.

It's all a part of the Dampier trade which we'll get for the trade exception by sending Stackhouse to Charlotte. We'll have to take Drobjnak from Charlotte to trade Stackhouse.

I see them trading Bradley to Utah, but possibly to a team with a trade exception.

Beyond that, I think they'll get rid of extra players by getting a backup PF or a real SF, not a SG who can play SF.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think Bradley is gone?

There is no center that is better than him, making less money, that the Mavs have a 1 in 10 Million shot at.

Cuban seems to like the fact that he took less money to stay in Dallas, and I don't believe that Mark or Donnie moves him.

Yes, he infuriates Nellie at times..... but he is still the only guy on the team that can take the game over from the defensive end.

I believe he has a role on this team, and it would take lots to get him from the Mavs......I don't think other teams are willing to give that up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes: I see a few trades coming. Most I am guessing hinge around Laettner, TAW, Henderson, with maybe Stackhouse/Howard for a top flight player.

They don't have Shaq in the West anymore, and they have improved their 5 with the two rooks, and Booth. Yes it could still use an upgrade, but IMO they need an upgrade at the 3 much worse than at the 5. Fin/Stackhouse/Howard/Daniels --- these will see time at the 3 with the current lineup. None are over 6'7"...... they play against Kirilenko 6'9", Peja 6'10", Rashard Lewis 6'10"

At least with the 5, they have Bradley, Booth, Benga, and even PPod to bang, and are all BIG. With Dirk as the offside help, they should be fine in the 4-5 area, with the 5 taking the other teams best player, and Dirk guarding the lesser of the two, and providing offside help.
The Mavs will be fine at the 5 this year.

The Mavs will not be fine at the 3. Fin is a SG. He needs to play SG. Really Stack, Daniels are SG as well. Howard is as close to a SF as this team has, and he gives up 4" to Lewis and Peja. Fin will end up there because he is 6'7", but he isn't a SF. If they are going to do a 2 or 3 for one, IMO, they need to trade for a stud SF. Not just would it solve the defensive problems, but it would also not allow for teams to play Dirk with a SF instead of the PF. What PF, besides Kevin Garnett, can guard Dirk on the floor? And even then, if Kevin Garnett is out on the floor, and away from the basket --- doesn't that take away the greatest assetts of Kevin Garnett?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

Howard has a 7 foot wingspan his length will help him against bigger SF. also with howard other teams will be forced to guard dirk with a PF and not the SF. IMO howard is the answer at SF for the mavs
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: seagullstalker35
Howard has a 7 foot wingspan his length will help him against bigger SF. also with howard other teams will be forced to guard dirk with a PF and not the SF. IMO howard is the answer at SF for the mavs
You may ultimately be correct. But as of today, he is going to be fighting with Fin and Stack and somewhat Daniels for minutes.

I would love for him to develop. I just don't see the upside in him that I see in Kirilenko, Lewis, and Peja for <u>this</u> team. He doesn't have the outside shot and height to make a SF have to guard him. Heck, If I am Utah, Kirilenko becomes my PF against Dirk because I can guard any other 2/3 Dallas has with Raja Bell. I am not saying that Kirilenko is available, just that he is the type player that would elevate Dirks game, and the team as a whole.

My personal opinion would be Peja, Kirilenko, Lewis, Artest, Vince Carter, Magette, and Marion in that order. If not, then keep Stackhouse and Howard, and hope that he develops. Peja, Kirilenko, Lewis, Artest, Magette could be 2 for 1's, and Carter, Marion 3 for 1's. I probably wouldn't deal with Phoenix though, just out of principle. I don't actually think any of these players are available, but this is why this "discussion" groups are made up.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 08-14-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

sorry, bud, howard's not the answer. there's better players available.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
and who would that be? peja? artest? marion? carter? pierce? lewis? of those marion is the only one we could potentially get. peja has demanded a trade, but who honestly thinks the maloofs will trade him to a western conference rival? artest may be on the block but chances they either trade him for peja or keep him. carter, pierce, and lewis are all cornerstones of thier franchises. i doubt we get any of them. anythings possible but its unlikely. so basically that leaves marion. but what can marion do that howard cant? rebound? howard can average close to 10 given 35-40 minutes. score? marion beats howard there but not by much and do we really need more scoring? defense? marion may be a slightly better defender than howard but its close IMO. also howard is younger (even tho its only a few years), and i believe that hes longer too. i could be wrong about that i dont know how long marions arms are but i do know that howard has a 7 foot wingspan which will help him tremendously with the taller SF of the league. throw in the fact that howard is much cheaper than any of those options and i honestly believe that howard is the answer for the mavs at small forward.

P.S. only marion can compete with howard on the boards and without walker and jamison we are gonna need howards rebounding.
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: seagullstalker35
Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
and who would that be? peja? artest? marion? carter? pierce? lewis? of those marion is the only one we could potentially get. peja has demanded a trade, but who honestly thinks the maloofs will trade him to a western conference rival? artest may be on the block but chances they either trade him for peja or keep him. carter, pierce, and lewis are all cornerstones of thier franchises. i doubt we get any of them. anythings possible but its unlikely. so basically that leaves marion. but what can marion do that howard cant? rebound? howard can average close to 10 given 35-40 minutes. score? marion beats howard there but not by much and do we really need more scoring? defense? marion may be a slightly better defender than howard but its close IMO. also howard is younger (even tho its only a few years), and i believe that hes longer too. i could be wrong about that i dont know how long marions arms are but i do know that howard has a 7 foot wingspan which will help him tremendously with the taller SF of the league. throw in the fact that howard is much cheaper than any of those options and i honestly believe that howard is the answer for the mavs at small forward.

P.S. only marion can compete with howard on the boards and without walker and jamison we are gonna need howards rebounding.
I also believe that Howard can be the answer at s/f for the Mavericks. With his length, athleticism, exceptional leaping ability, solid defense that will only improve, and amazing knack for winning rebounds, I believe Howard possesses all of the tools necessary to be a tremendous fit with this team.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Just to be a smart ass dal,

Yao makes like 3.1 million.
your point is taken.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Just to be a smart ass dal,

Yao makes like 3.1 million.
your point is taken.
I think that Yao, maybe Dalembert, are better than Shawn, and make less money. I just don't think Dallas has a 10M to 1 shot at getting them. Other than that, Center is a pretty weak position. You have Shaq. Then a big dropoff, with lots of PF filling the position because of the lack of true Centers in the league.