Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-11-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default Semi-realistic proposition with Seattle

Since I think we all agree that Fin playing SF is garbage, why not go out and get a true SF?

Dallas trades:
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)

Dallas receives: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.7 ppg, -2.6 rpg, and -3.3 apg.

Seattle trades: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)

Seattle receives:
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
Change in team outlook: +4.7 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +3.3 apg.

I realize you guys have a hard on for Josh, but Rashard is obviously a better player. I don't think Seattle doing this is very likely, but still, I think it's a fair deal. With Stack, they get a running mate for Allen, and with Howard, a fantastic young player. Dallas finally gets a true SF, and a great one at that. With Stack gone and Finley moving back to SG, that leaves Marquis as our sixth man.

Dallas:
PG - Terry
SG - Finley
SF - Lewis
PF - Dirk
C - Booth/Bradley/Laettner
Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
endtroducing
Golden Member

Default RE:Semi-realistic proposition with Seattle

by the way, isn't Rashard only two years older than Josh?

and maybe Seattle could send us a future second rounder, since we give them Josh and we love him and stuff.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Finley is too poor a ball handler to play the 2. Watch him next time, he's a back court liability, with a huge contract.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I would pull the trigger on the deal. A 17 point 7 rebound small forward would be a valuable asset to the team. I would push finley to the sixth man.

Terry
Daniels
Lewis
Dirk
Bradley

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Finley to 6th man would be a better idea. That's the kiss of death though. NVE gone. Jamison gone. Is Lewis a good defender? Is he as good as Josh? I think I want to keep Howard and Stack.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
I would pull the trigger on the deal. A 17 point 7 rebound small forward would be a valuable asset to the team. I would push finley to the sixth man.

Terry
Daniels
Lewis
Dirk
Bradley
I think you are dead on with this. It really doesn't matter if it is VC, Peja, Lewis, or any of the other excellent SF's in the league (preferable a long one) -- they would make the Mavs a much better team. If they are a very good SF, it doesn't allow a team to guard Dirk with a SF out on the floor. Which PF, besides Kevin Garnett, can guard Dirk out on the floor? ?

Fin (if he would be willing) would become the instant offense off the bench, and back up both the 2 and the 3.

IMO: Stackhouse/Howard/#1 for any of Peja, Lewis, Magette, Kirilenko or Stackhouse/Laettner/Howard for VC makes the most sense as Dallas's next move.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

sad but true.. don nelson will never in his life bench michael finley [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

doesnt it seem like after every offseason, finley's ballhandling somehow gets even worse? maybe its just me [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

i like the deal and i would pull the trigger. But why does a second year undrafted rookie that didnt play in the first half of last season suddenly good enough to but finley on the bench. I like marquis a lot, but he would be moving to sixth man. People right now are expecting a little to much from him and holding him in really high regards.

Finley is a career 19 point scorer who isnt over the hill yet, his averages are just down slightly because he has become a complementry player to dirk. If fin was still a #1 option... he would still score 22-23 points per game, but now he scores 18-19 because that is what he needs to do.

ALSO- Cuban doesnt want to take on any contracts past 2008.... rashard lewis's contract goes further than that. Does cuban want to abandon his salary cap stradegy?????
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
endtroducing
Golden Member

the thing with Rashard, though, is that he's still a really young guy, and his contract is far from untradeable. I doubt it'd be much of an issue.

I thought the deal over today, and it makes even more sense...basically, we get Lewis for Howard, since Stack was gone anyways. I'd do it.

of all the top flite SFs in the league, I'd guess that Lewis is the most reasonable choice and also the most available one.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #10
endtroducing
Golden Member

and wow, I just realized...if Dallas got Lewis, check out the sizes:

Bradley - 7'6
Dirk - 7'0
Rashard - 6'10

that's literally a big three.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
dirkdirk+carter=championship

dirkdirk+carter=championship is on a distinguished road

o ya i would do that in a second it would be awesome we get one of the best sf's in the game
Old 08-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Semi-realistic proposition with Seattle

That username will be obsolete before the season starts. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM   #13
endtroducing
Golden Member

Seattle:

PG - Daniels/Ridnour
SG - Allen/Murray
SF - Stackhouse/Howard
PF - Radmanovic/Fortson
C - Potapenko/Swift

not so bad. if they deal Allen before the deadline, Stack can move to SG and Howard could start at SF, assuming they don't acquire anyone that would start at those spots.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #14
fin4life

It is a pretty good trade idea and cuban may not worry about taking on lewis's contract because he is very tradable. But i think that the sonics would much prefer to trade ray allen and not lewis.

Endtroducing said, "of all the top flite SFs in the league, I'd guess that Lewis is the most reasonable choice and also the most available one."

If he is actually available, then i would jump all over this. But i think that seattle wants lewis to be their franchise player and they think e will become a start in the next few years.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
endtroducing
Golden Member

that's true, but the Seattle coaches seem to be frustrated with him...since he's been in the league for six years now, I think they kind of feel like he's set in his ways. if they got Howard, they'd find a similar player (without the huge size, though) who's probably a better defender. just being a sophomore, I think the Seattle staff can mold him into whatever they want. plus, he costs, like, -5 dollars per year.

Stackhouse, for the Sonics, would be a pretty good replacement for Allen if (or once) he's traded. you can pretty much slot him in there with whoever they get in a trade for Ray, and you wouldn't see too much of a drop off in scoring. or, more importantly, Seattle's cap.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #16
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Hell yea,you reduce another roster spot,and you get a legit SF.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #17
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

I would do this trade and think it is a fairly reasonable trade for both teams, especially if Seattle realizes they won't be competing for a while. Stackhouse's contract is shorter and smaller than Lewis' and Howard is younger than Lewis. If Seattle wants to go into full-blown rebuilding mode, a trade of L8 and Howard for Lewis would be even better for them. They would have about $30 million in cap room next year without Lewis' contract, which would allow them to resign Allen to a smaller deal and still go after two pretty big names. So I think that a deal with Seattle may be more likely mid-season once they fall out of the playoff hunt.

For Dallas, this trade helps clear the logjam at 2/3 and gives them a player that should be at least a near all-star. His contract is also very reasonable IMO for what he brings to the table.

Also, I don't understand the notion of benching Finley. Right now he is clearly the second-best player on the team and there is not a team in the league that brings their second-best player off the bench.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #18
fin4life

I have a found a way to expand this trade and make it a 3-way that helps all teams:

Dallas trades: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.7 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Theo Ratliff (7.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 31.3 minutes)
SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -6.0 ppg, -2.8 rpg, and -4.7 apg.

Portland trades: C Theo Ratliff (7.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 31.3 minutes)
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
Portland receives: PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 66 games)
SG Ray Allen (23.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.8 apg in 56 games)
Change in team outlook: +8.0 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +4.2 apg.

Seattle trades: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
SG Ray Allen (23.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.4 minutes)
Seattle receives: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 85 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.0 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Dal- get a center and SF... enough said. If we needed to give up our #1 pick, i would.

Portland- if shareef if going to demand a trade... you better get something. This is a pretty nice package while keeping most of you expiring contracts.

Seattle- They would be the ones recieving the #1 pick if we threw it in. This gives them some good depth while preserving their expiring contracts.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #19
endtroducing
Golden Member

if Seattle's willing to give a fat deal to Allen (hoopshype), I'd have to think Rashard is being shopped for cap relief.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:01 AM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Trade Bradley out for Booth or Najera, and I'd do the trade. That would make the Mavs a contender at least.
<edit>
I don't see much of a way that Portland does it though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 08-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: birdsanctuary
Finley is too poor a ball handler to play the 2. Watch him next time, he's a back court liability, with a huge contract.
uhhhhhhh, two all star appearences

yeah the mavs would jump on this deal....and its a player Nellie loves...a tall atheletic type who is a strong out side shooter

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #22
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

1st of all I don't see division rivals like Seattle and Portland doing this trade period. I'd rather just do the trade for Rashard with Seattle and let Seattle try and make their own deal with Portland. I prefer Bradley over Ratliff any day.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Semi-realistic proposition with Seattle

LRB check out the original proposal...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I guess I should have just said that I'd do the original trade, but not the latest trade.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
LRB check out the original proposal...
As far as the original post goes (I'd do it) --- you can change the name Lewis with Peja, Magette, Kirilenko, Artest and I'd still do it.

You can also add Laettner to Stackhouse/Howard and get Marion or VC. Not sure I'd do the Marion deal (because of height), but definately would do the VC deal.

Either way, IMO--- put a "stud" SF next to Dirk, and watch both of them take Dallas to the top.

I don't expect any of the present teams to trade their "star" to the Mavs, but I think the SF is now the most important position to upgrade for the Mavs. The Center has been address, and could be upgraded for sure, but Dirk has a face up game and big SF's give him problems. If you put a Big SF on the team, other teams would be forced to guard Dirk with PF out on the floor. Who besides Kevin Garnett can do that? ?