Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of
Default Najera A Mav Again?

Ok, once again, I'm not an ESPN insider so all this says to me is that the Mavs are persuing Najera again.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/featu...tures%2frumors
If your an Insider, feel free to spread some love and share the details!

Last edited by craggmac; 02-21-2007 at 11:46 AM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Incase you didn't notice, it metioned that the Mavs are also interested in PJ Brown.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i'd love to see najera back here. always liked him...not the best player, but you can tell he gives 110%.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone wake up Murphy, he must be having a wet dream right now.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

From ESPN Insider:

"NBA sources say the Dallas Mavericks have been pursuing a deal to acquire Nuggets forward Ed uardo Najera. The deal could involve Mavs guard Anthony Johnson."

Where do I sign?
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaarod03
From ESPN Insider:

"NBA sources say the Dallas Mavericks have been pursuing a deal to acquire Nuggets forward Ed uardo Najera. The deal could involve Mavs guard Anthony Johnson."

Where do I sign?
espn trade machine says it wouldn't work. hopefully that machine is wrong.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

I love Eddie. I would be thrilled to see him wear a Mavs uniform again!!
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

yo quiero Eduardo. Anthony Johnson es muy malo.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I would freak...so would everyone in the area. Viva Najera!!!!! I hate trade rumors, but any mention of Eddie and I'm all giggles.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie! F*** you! You're the F*** you man....... Kiss by black a**!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Straight up it doesn't work because of the salaries. Using ESPN trade checker the only combos I could come up with to make it work were undesirable. except for perhaps:

SuperSpareII and Greg Buckner for MurphyAche and Jamal Sampson
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

AJ, Mo Ager, jjb/pops works for him.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give up AJ for Najera. If Devin Harris goe down, this team can still compete with AJ as its backup PG.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmmmmmmmm
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Hmm the more I think, I wonder how many minutes Eddie would get. Maybe George is more iffy than being let on? Eddie would be terrific insurance. Who knows. Prob won't happen like 95% of rumors.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give up AJ for Najera. If Devin Harris goe down, this team can still compete with AJ as its backup PG.
Has JJB shown you enough that he can at least fill in? I think he has.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
I know not everyone would agree, but JJB's shown me enough that I'd rather have him out there than AJ2.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Count me out of a deal that sends Super Spare for Najera. Why I'd trade one contingency plan for a weaker one is beyond me.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

How about Cro for Eddie...they did want Van Horn.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
No, not a chance. It's all about the defense, and JJB can't play it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
No, not a chance. It's all about the defense, and JJB can't play it.
Can AJ do anything right on the court though? I think we could get past teams with JJB guarding the weaker guard and still maintain an offensive flow.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
Can AJ do anything right on the court though? I think we could get past teams with JJB guarding the weaker guard and still maintain an offensive flow.
You're a bit too hard on AJ. He's not been great with the Mavs, but he's a solid backup PG and is quite good defensively.

JJB is not on the same level as AJ, at least not yet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

AJ2 is very overrated defensively. He gets schooled by smaller, quicker guards which make up most of the league these days.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
AJ2 is very overrated defensively. He gets schooled by smaller, quicker guards which make up most of the league these days.
He may be overrated defensively, but he is leaps and bounds better defensively than JJB right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
craggmac
Golden Member

I personally would have no problem seeing AJ go. If something happened to Devin, lets not forget that Terry did a pretty good job at that position last year.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac
I personally would have no problem seeing AJ go. If something happened to Devin, lets not forget that Terry did a pretty good job at that position last year.
? At that position? They're both PG's. In fact Avery seems to be going more and more to the bigger lineups that use JET as the true PG again.

The problem is, if Devin goes down, and you've trade AJ, you're left with JJB as your backup PG.

Not a good idea.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #27
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

AJ and AC cannot be traded until july.the only one that would work would be buckner/ager for najera/diawara or kleiza, i would this in a hertbeat diawara it's denver best defender and kleiza it's better than najera.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #28
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
? At that position? They're both PG's. In fact Avery seems to be going more and more to the bigger lineups that use JET as the true PG again.

The problem is, if Devin goes down, and you've trade AJ, you're left with JJB as your backup PG.

Not a good idea.
Count me out of the deal as well. AJ2 may be the best 3rd string true PG in the NBA. So, why trade him for someone who will be fighting for minutes? AJ2 is a good solid back-up, plus he plays solid defense on bigger guards..If it aint broke, dont fix it
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #29
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

PJ Brown would be a much better fit. The Mavs need a back up forward and center. Then again they have won 44 games.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #30
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Brown for Croshere & Ager works. Maybe the Bulls would think Ager still has enough potential to make the deal worthwhile. Cheap try for them anyway.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
Brown for Croshere & Ager works. Maybe the Bulls would think Ager still has enough potential to make the deal worthwhile. Cheap try for them anyway.
Croshere+Ager+Pops!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #32
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Count me out of the deal as well. AJ2 may be the best 3rd string true PG in the NBA. So, why trade him for someone who will be fighting for minutes? AJ2 is a good solid back-up, plus he plays solid defense on bigger guards..If it aint broke, dont fix it
When Eddie was a Mav, he was in the rotation of centers primarily. He occasionally backed up Dirk as a PF. But, mainly he was in the center rotation. At that time, we were rotating Alan Henderson, Najera, and another stiff (I forget his name now). We had Bradley as well. Dirk frequently played center. Anyway, our centers basically sucked. Henderson was probably the best rebounder of the group and was a solid defender of guys his size. But, Najera and Henderson would get beat badly by centers and PF's who were taller or who could jump higher. Najera and Henderson played very hard and gave a lot of effort. Sometimes Najera and Henderson played as SF's or PF's.

Anyway, if Henderson or Najera were on the team now, where would they play? They wouldn't be centers anymore for sure. They aren't offensive players so Croshere would still get the minutes as Dirk's backup.

Now, Najera playing next to Damp/Diop is a very solid paint defense proposition. I could see Najera playing a role against teams like the Clippers or Jazz. But, beyond those two potential series, I can't see the Dampier/Najera combo playing much.

AJ on the other hand is a tool for Avery. AJ is always there when Avery needs a defensive change to handle a bigger PG. AJ is also well rested. Don't forget that Armstrong played an important role in the playoffs in limited minutes. AJ is our newest Armstrong type player in some ways.

I don't know if Najera makes sense unless Avery is worried about the Jazz or Houston or Clippers. The other teams don't put enough beef in the paint to worry about.

Of course, if Shaq is healty again, then a Damp/Najera double would give Shaq fits. Maybe a Damp/Najera double would give Yao fits too. If that is the thought, then this might make sense.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM   #33
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Croshere+Ager+Pops!!!
i think pops has too much upside to let him go this early.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Pops does have Way too much upside. In fact, he is a Najera basically. I didn't think on that at first. Not really worth taking on any bigger contracts then we have to I suppose.