Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-23-2006, 01:20 AM   #241
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

he always was a great player though, he won 3 MVP's before 1998, and he worked hard. people around the league say his offseason workout program is one of the toughest in the league.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #242
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. So now we're comparing Barry Bonds to T.O. and making excuses for Bonds?

Please, take your SF aplogist Bonds opinions somewhere else. The guy is a cheater. Yes, he was a great player before juicing up. Better than McGwire, Sosa, and all the others.

But the guy is a juicer, and on top of that he's a complete jackass, and I hope that his career ends suddenly before he passes the great Henry Aaron.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #243
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
he always was a great player though, he won 3 MVP's before 1998, and he worked hard. people around the league say his offseason workout program is one of the toughest in the league.
Like i said he went from Juan Gonzalez(who won 2 mvps) to babe ruth. That is a HUGE difference. You cant say that it didnt clearly make him alot better. He went from a great player who wasnt gonna be anywhere on the all time list to a top 5 hitter of all time. Thats a huge change.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #244
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

While I agre with your overall point, Barry Bonds was always a better player than Juan Gonzalez. Take a look at Barry's OBP and overall OPS before '94.

Barry Bonds was already one of the best players of our generation before he decided to hit the steroids.

But him them he did, and I hope he never sniffs the HOF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #245
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
While I agre with your overall point, Barry Bonds was always a better player than Juan Gonzalez. Take a look at Barry's OBP and overall OPS before '94.

Barry Bonds was already one of the best players of our generation before he decided to hit the steroids.

But him them he did, and I hope he never sniffs the HOF.
I wasnt saying its a perfect comparison just that he went from a top 5 player of this generation to a top 5 player of all time which is a monumental leap.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #246
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I wasnt saying its a perfect comparison just that he went from a top 5 player of this generation to a top 5 player of all time which is a monumental leap.
Fair enough, I can agree with that. Although I don't think Juan Gonzalez was ever near a top 5 of our generation player. Not even close, really, unless he had sustained in level for about 5 more years.

But your point is valid.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #247
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
LOL. So now we're comparing Barry Bonds to T.O. and making excuses for Bonds?
I was merely saying how I wish that hated athletes would at least receive some credit for the positive things they do.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #248
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I was merely saying how I wish that hated athletes would at least receive some credit for the positive things they do.
If you can point me to a positive thing Bonds has done in the past 7 years, I'd be happy to oblige.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #249
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
If you can point me to a positive thing Bonds has done in the past 7 years, I'd be happy to oblige.
Barry should at least get credit for being a great athlete, and for having the best vision in the game, (and i still dont see how steroids would help your eyesight at all).

Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #250
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Barry should at least get credit for being a great athlete, and for having the best vision in the game, (and i still dont see how steroids would help your eyesight at all).
Do some research on HGH its not a normal steroid. Its what your body makes to make you grow, hence the human growth hormone. It helps your eyesight too..
Old 09-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #251
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

ok, it says it helps you get a lot stronger and MIGHT help your eyesight.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #252
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

please come back to T.O.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #253
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
please come back to T.O.
yeah, the hijacking of this thread is over.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #254
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

good to see a topic of mine is still up and running.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #255
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for the negative rep. I was unaware that opinion was frowned upon by you. I'll keep that in mind next time.
Shaggydirk is known for neg rep and random stupidity.

Last edited by Drbio; 09-29-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #256
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Shaggydirk is known for neg rep and random stupidity.
Upon arrival, the sinister cleaves of determined minority was enabling vast acre consumer products only to see what most would be known for as ex-lawless prototypes and proportional leaves. Likewise, the most influential of the turn of the century quote dido end quote was most occupied by none other for mentioned moss-like infiltrating organ only to be had by nun other than most of what you and I believe to be. Anyway, as I was mentioning, the most I can spare from what I see or you see for that matter is no less what most can arrive when that much is known or unknown or most likely given. That being said, I would proclain other than that to be, yes. If one were to acquire all of the corn, peas, and your everyday consumption of his/her most prized and most proclaimed, then we could use that which is never torn or spread over the knowledge that you can see what he or she most likely would be called under other than not circumstances procluding ever popular mandates that you would so forever never before shoulda woulda coulda for the remainder of whatever seeks, prohibits, and of course what I see as a procrastination of the soul fodder quadruple center piece that we all know and seem to be watching underneath for the mentioned above doctrination. Now I would say, and quote or no quote, or quota for the rich, damn if that would be the last seaweed proclaims under breadth or fire. Why, you ask? I really don't know.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #257
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Parcells won't say if Owens will play Sunday

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
September 29, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens sat at his locker Friday flexing his swollen right hand, smiling and saying little.

After practicing for the second straight day, the Dallas Cowboys receiver seemed in good spirits and on track to play Sunday. But Owens, who will travel to Tennessee, refused to say then if he would play against the Titans and reminded the media surrounding him that he talks on Wednesdays.

But Friday evening Owens said on his radio show that he told coach Bill Parcells that he will be ready to play.

"If he gives me the nod that I can play, then you best believe I will be ready, no matter what," Owens said. "They can slap the hand; they can do whatever they want to the hand. I will be ready."

Parcells said Owens has done everything he's been asked to do in practice this week. Still, Parcells hadn't decided if the receiver would play against the Titans.

"The injury status has not changed, and we're going to make some game-time decisions as to who's going to participate," said Parcells, who will talk to trainers Saturday.

Owens had only a small bandage over the scar on his hand from surgery Sept. 18, a day after he broke a bone near his ring finger in his home debut for the Cowboys.

When asked about the swelling, Owens said, "It's gone down a lot." Other than that, he let teammates speak for him in the locker room.

"You can go on and migrate around," Terence Newman told reporters, standing in front of Owens and pointing to other lockers. "Thank you for coming out."

Parcells said he hadn't sat down with Owens yet, but the coach said he "would have time to do that."

During his radio show that airs on the ESPN affiliate in Dallas and another station in Miami, Owens said he wasn't bothered that there hadn't been any extended dialogue with his coach this week and understood that Parcells was focused on preparing for the game.

Now, Owens could play at the end of a week in which he was hospitalized for mixing painkillers prescribed for his hand injury with his usual supplements, then had to deny a police report that he had attempted suicide. On Thursday, Dallas police closed their investigation, calling it an "accidental overdose."

"If I was suicidal, I mean, of all that I've gone through, I probably would have already committed suicide if that was the case," Owens said on the radio, referring to Philadelphia dumping him midway through last season only months after he helped them nearly win the Super Bowl. "If I didn't commit suicide then, why would I do it now?"

Owens said the medication he took Tuesday night was a generic form of Vicodin, the same pain medication that made him sick the previous week after his surgery. He said he took those pills again only because he couldn't find a milder medication that had been given to him by a team trainer.

Within hours after leaving the hospital Wednesday, Owens was on the field catching passes from Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo. He returned to practice with the full team Thursday.

The finger didn't appear to bother Owens during the 15 minutes of practice open to the media Friday. Wearing receiving gloves with padding protecting the injury, he caught balls with his hands in front of his body, and readjusted on one pass over his shoulder to make a fingertip catch in the back of the end zone during a drill.

Generally, players who practice Thursday and Friday for Parcells are available for games.

So, why wouldn't Owens play Sunday?

"Just if I thought there was an inordinate number of mental errors or something that didn't look like he was up to speed for the game," Parcells said.

The coach wouldn't say if Owens had had any such problems.

"I'm not commenting on that, what I think about that," Parcells said. "You're going to have to wait."

Parcells said he wasn't qualified to offer a public opinion on the off-the-field drama surrounding Owens and stopped short of calling it a distraction.

"We're a little early in the season to be passing judgment on what's going to happen," Parcells said. "I think we need to let these guys go forward and settle down to a little more normal pace. Hopefully we'll get good production out of everybody and go forward from there. That's what I'm hoping we do."

Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #258
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Time for Owens' long-awaited return to Philly

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
October 3, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- It's time for the next act in the circus surrounding Terrell Owens. This is the big one anticipated since he signed with the Dallas Cowboys seven months ago.

A game with huge implications in the NFC East is even bigger this week because Owens is going back to Philadelphia, where he helped the Eagles almost win a Super Bowl before being unceremoniously dumped midway through last season.

"Hopefully, we can give T.O. something to be proud of. I know he's going to go out there and do his deal," cornerback Aaron Glenn said Monday.

"It's big for him going back," tight end Jason Witten said. "It's such a big game for us anyway because it's a division game and there's always a little extra enthusiasm out there when you're playing Philadelphia."

That's multiplied by the T.O. factor.

The Cowboys (2-1) came off their bye week with a 45-14 victory at Tennessee on Sunday, their highest-scoring game since 2000, three years before coach Bill Parcells arrived. Philadelphia (3-1) beat Green Bay 31-9 on Monday night.

Owens caught five passes for 88 yards against the Titans, though he dropped a touchdown pass, just five days after being hospitalized for what police termed an accidental overdose of the pain medication he was taking because of the broken bone in his right hand.

At the start of his most-anticipated week with the Cowboys, Owens wasn't in the locker room during the 45-minute open period Monday. The receiver generally talks to reporters only on Wednesday, so his absence wasn't unusual.

After the Titans, Owens wasn't ready to talk about his return to Philadelphia.

"My main focus was on this game," Owens said. "We will talk about Philly next week."

Parcells said he doesn't plan to speak to Owens or his team specifically about the circus atmosphere that will surround the receiver's return to Philadelphia. But hype for the game is already building in unusual places.

Glenn noticed the Cowboys-Eagles game being talked about on TV before leaving home Monday -- on the daytime talk show "Live with Regis and Kelly" instead of a national cable sports show or even a local broadcast.

"On regular TV, they're talking about the game," Glenn said. "It's a huge game. It's a big game for Terrell, but it's a big game for all of us."

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #259
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

god i can't wait for the game

t.o. owns

i just hope he goes off

Contact Me
Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #260
alby
Guru

talk about bashing Terrell Owens and the Dallas Cowboys...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2631636

John Clayton, go to hell

---

Editor's note: ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton's "First and 10" column takes you around the league, with a look at the best game of the week, followed by primers for 10 other games. Here's his look at Week 7.

First … New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys
Just what the sports world needs, another forum for Terrell Owens to take the spotlight.

Owens heads back to prime time on Monday night in a home game against the New York Giants. Despite the free fall of the Redskins, the NFC East is still good theater. Naturally, Owens knows this. His face will be splattered all over the news as this key NFC East game draws closer.

The theme for Owens -- naturally -- is how many balls are thrown in his direction. Owens cares little about facts. He just wants the ball. But it's hard to make a case that QB Drew Bledsoe hasn't tried to get the ball to Owens. He has thrown 46 passes in his direction. Owens has grabbed 22.

Now the problem is when the ball is thrown to him. Coming off a three-touchdown game against the pathetic and easy-to-beat Texans defense, Owens says he wants more balls thrown to him in the first half. Of course, the stats indicate that he has caught 11 in the first half and 11 in the second half.

Imagine what Terry Glenn, the team's true No. 1 receiver, would say if you pulled him aside and asked for his thoughts? Glenn doesn't work his mouth for the ball. He gets open and lets Bledsoe get him the ball. Pretty simple idea, huh?

But this is what the Cowboys bought into when they gave Owens a three-year, $25 million contract. As it turns out, he probably has been worse than expected. First, he has been hurt more, forcing him to be on the practice field less. He is whining earlier about his role, and his antics on the sideline seem to be more frequent.

And the prime-time lights of "Monday Night Football" should get him going even more. Coach Bill Parcells needs Owens to simply catch the ball, not to act like a director telling him when to get him the ball. For the Cowboys, this is a critical game. First, it's a division home game. Playoff teams usually don't lose division home games. The Cowboys are still reeling from blowing a 13-point lead against the Redskins in Dallas more than a year ago.

The reason the pressure is on the Cowboys more than the Giants is that next week the Cowboys will embark on the dreaded three-game road trip. The NFL usually schedules three-game road trips for only four or five teams each season, and through the years those trips have been hard on teams.

It's hard to win three consecutive road games. If the Cowboys lose to the Giants and hit that road trip on a short week, they would be at 3-3 and reeling. They play at Carolina, at Washington and at Arizona. Owens will complain about not getting the ball enough if they are winning, but if they are losing, the explosion will be heard around the league.

Welcome back to T.O. TV.

---

"The Cowboys are still reeling from blowing a 13-point lead against the Redskins in Dallas more than a year ago."

wtf?

stop hating

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-20-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #261
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck
Imagine what Terry Glenn, the team's true No. 1 receiver, would say if you pulled him aside and asked for his thoughts?
If the pencilneck Clayton did his homework, he would know that Terry Glenn already *was* asked for his thoughts. And he said that he was well happy to see TO (and Crayton) get some production.

I love me some Terry Glenn, but I know that he benefits greatly from Owens being on the other side of the field. And I know that he knows that.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #262
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
wtf?

stop hating
that man needs to be shot.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #263
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab2pos1

T.O. survival guide
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote