Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-22-2002, 08:22 AM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

First, Cubes and Nellie are trying to go after Rashard Lewis, because they say they have a hole at the small forward spot with Dirk at the 4 and Raef at the 5.

Then, they talk about getting guys like Popeye Jones or Shawn Kemp, which could only mean Dirk would play the 3 and Raef at the 5.

Now, they talk about getting Zo, which would push Dirk and Raef to the 3 and 4.

Exactly, what is their game plan? If they get Rashard, whatever anyone says, defense is not going to be the key to win games for them. With Rashard, we become an even more of a perimeter, run-and-gun team with a very small front court. I don't like this idea.

If they get someone like Zo, that means they're not happy with their defense and are looking to get beefier down low and actually start to play more of a half-court game.

Does anyone else think Cubes and Nellie are sending mixed signals as to what their game plan is for next year?
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2002, 08:31 AM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Thier game plan is to get the best talent they can and worry about line-ups once they are here. WIth Dirk and Raef, you have complete flexibility, especially Dirk.

Nellie doesn't concern himself with traditional "positions." He just wants to put the best players available on the court.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I understand the notion of nontraditional roles in the Mavs system.

However, if the Mavs were that concerned about the porous inside defense last year, particularly in the Kings series during the playoffs, I don't think getting a Rashard Lewis would be a priority. I could see how the defense might be upgraded with getting a taller small forward, but I honestly do not believe that we will see a significant improvement in our defense if we add Rashard.

But if they wanted to get someone like Zo, it tells me that they are worried about their defense and want to get a beefier body inside there.

I don't exactly know what they want. I honestly think Nellie wants 5 3-point shooters out there on the court to create spacing and hurt opponents offensively and just hope that we play enough defense to just get us by. Although I know defense is something that comes with effort and hustle, it's tough to ask guys like Dirk and Raef to man the middle when they are just simply not very strong players and worry more about their offense than defense. Do fans not remember how many times Dirk and Raef let opponents just fly by them on defense or were late on help defense?

Anyways, I'm surprised the Mavs were thinking Zo, or even Popeye and Kemp, because that would go counter to Nellie's plan, because those guys would keep Shaq in the paint defensively, which is where he wants to be.

Does no one else see the confusion in all this? I don't understand Nellie's game plan for next year.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:10 AM   #4
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I am just glad they are trying to improve the team. Does not matter who we get, a talented player will find playinmg time in Don's system. I do not see a huge change in philosophy by Nelson no matter who is signed. We will be a fast running and gunning team as that is his style. Don would adjust his half court game with certain teams as he has tried to do before.

Lewis improves the interior by allowing 3 6-10 to 7 foot guys man the middle, I could see alot of zone defense with all thos long arms...

A POPEYE would improve the interior when on the court as he is a rebounder. He would offer a change of pace.

We still have the option to play Bradley more in the middle. Don has a lot of options open to him. Eddie or Wang (who will still sign) offer alot of options.

LIt is going to be fun next year isn't it Charlie. We will never know what's up with Nellie,

SO WHAT'S NEW?
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:45 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of things going on... you have to think on multiple levels.

Rashard Lewis - May not be a beefy defensive guy, but he grabs 7 rebounds, pushes finley to sg and allows a 6'11, 7'0", 6'10" lineup to be placed on the floor and they all can score. Even if rashard signs....

There is a place for a beefier, rebound/defensive only PF to match up possibly with webber,duncan, maybe shaq, vlade, pollard. Dirk/Raef can and will, but having a change of pace and someone who will pick up the rebounding slack if dirk is out is needed.

Bradley, Esch being real players makes some of this moot, but they haven't shown it yet so alternatives are being explored.

I think Zo AND Kemp would both be HUGE mistakes and I don't really think they are serious.

My two cents.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Zo AND Kemp would both be HUGE mistakes and I don't really think they are serious.

Word!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I agree that Kemp would be a huge mistake. For the most part I just can't stand the guy...not to mention the major negative impact he would have on the Mavs locker room chemistry.

Also, I think the "mixed messages" may be intentional, and that's half the fun...we never know what's going to happen.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote