Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

You guys think Cubes will pull out the red carpet welcome again for free agents in the future the way he did for Rashard???

Do you think this is an embarrassment for Cubes for the way he hyped up things with nothing to show for it, or was it more just following protocol for attracting free agents?
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Red Carpet - sure.
Embaressmant - likely.

Next red carpet guy (without much success) might be TD
Old 09-19-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hey Charlie,
we all know by now that you are glad Lewis resigned with Seattle.
Please calm down.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Why should he be Embaressed? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
After all he did try to get the big name in fa without losing anyone else.
Actually it kind of helped the mavericks out a little because the other fa's now know if they arent being treated right they should come to dallas.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Charlie Brown

<< Hey Charlie,
we all know by now that you are glad Lewis resigned with Seattle.
Please calm down.
>>

err . . . i just had one short post today that said it was a good thing that we didn't sign him and that it's time to move on. that was it.

in this thread. i'm only talking about the way the mavs organization might attract future free agents. i didn't mention anything about how i'm glad that we didn't sign him. i think you're thinking too much there or are referring to my posts from yesterday.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

why would it be embarassing? It was a long shot, and Cuban probably had a lot of fun wining and dining.

I think getting a top free agent to spend all summer considering their 15 million over his own club's 60 million makes Dallas look pretty good.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
Charlie Brown

btw, i never said it was or wasn't embarrassing. actually, i have no clue, which is why i posed the question. that's all.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's cool, and they ought to do it if they feel like it helps their case.

they're the 3rd or 4th best team in the league these days, I don't think embarrassment is too big of an issue anymore.. if anything, organizations are looking to the Mavs now.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Does ANYTHING embarrass Cuban?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #10
Charlie Brown

<< Does ANYTHING embarrass Cuban? >>

tis true. best answer so far.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:06 PM   #11
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Obviously Cube doesn't get embarrassed, If so he would have cut that hair by now

Old 09-19-2002, 05:07 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

lol.. exactly Just. brother needs help with the hair, seriously.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:12 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< or are referring to my posts from yesterday. >>

Yes Charlie I do. As soon as the first rumors popped up yesterday you´ve been all psyched about it. This thread here points into the same direction.

I wasn´t really involved ino all this Lewis talk. Why? Because it was just a nice try of the Mavs to get a bargain there, to get something for nothing. It wasn´t anything to get hyped about. The Mavs are in a very bad position cap wise to sign any good FA´s. So they need to be agressive. The whole thing isn´t embarrasing at all. On the contrary it should strike fear into the hearts of other GM´s and owners. They have learned that if they fuck around with their players the Mavs will be right there to pick em up. The players do know this too. This strategy hasn´t worked this time, and there will be more players who use the Mavs in the future to squeeze out some more money from their teams. But ultimatly this strategy will land us a real bargain sooner or later, while if we just sit back and watch we´d get none.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:13 PM   #14
Charlie Brown

actually, let me reprhase the question, because we all know cubes hardly gets embarrassed or ruffled in any way.

not that it really matters, but do you think the media would see this as an embarrassment for the mavs or not see it as a big deal? it actually appears to me that the media hardly cares about this whole lewis saga, so i'm thinking this is a moot question.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #15
Charlie Brown

<<

<< or are referring to my posts from yesterday. >>

Yes I do. As soon as the first rumors popped up yesterday you´ve been all psyched about it.
>>

so am i not allowed to express my feelings on this site??

i don't think anyone thought i was rubbing it in anyone's faces.

and this thread hardly points in the same direction as i never said that cuban should feel embarrassed by this. i asked a very generic question, which appears to have annoyed no one else.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

<< it actually appears to me that the media hardly cares about this whole lewis saga >>

You just nailed it.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #17
Charlie Brown

but do i think cuban missed out on some other key FA's. yes, i think he did. but i'm not going to rehash my previous posts as you'll probably think i'm getting too psyched about this again.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:59 PM   #18
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Cuban has nothing to be embarrassed about. He stated all along that Rashard was a long shot.

The red carpet was just another way he presents the Mavs as a first class organization.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 PM   #19
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

what key Fa's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that would be embarrasing is not pulling out all of the stops to get a 60million dollar player for 15million just because some silly fans might think that you were embarrassed for trying and not succeeding. It's easy to play things safe, not stretch and not reach greatness. It's a lot harder to stick your neck out and be willing to have it chopped off.

Cuban is pure greatness.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:10 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< but do i think cuban missed out on some other key FA's. yes, i think he did. but i'm not going to rehash my previous posts as you'll probably think i'm getting too psyched about this again. >>

Pablam... There have been no free agents anywhere close to rashard. I guess we could have had buckner for 3million a year. Cuban waiting instead of jumping the gun like the impatient fans wanted him to do has probably reduced greatly eddies, wangs and any elses contract who we decide to bring in.

There have been and ARE no free agents who will make much difference at all. There just is no way that the 9th or 10th player on the bench will make much of a difference.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 09-19-2002, 09:27 PM   #22
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

<< The only thing that would be embarrasing is not pulling out all of the stops to get a 60million dollar player for 15million just because some silly fans might think that you were embarrassed for trying and not succeeding. It's easy to play things safe, not stretch and not reach greatness. It's a lot harder to stick your neck out and be willing to have it chopped off.

Cuban is pure greatness.
>>

You hit the nail on the head, dude!

Cuban should be trusted to do what's best for the Mavs. He works hard for this team and takes risks (and a lot of bs from naysayers) so we can have the fun we have as fans. Anyone who thinks he/she can do better can go get their own team (by the way, that takes millions of dollars earned through hard work and taking risks).
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

excellent post dude. Anyone who thinks Cuban should be embarassed for trying to sign a potential all-star just doesn't know shit from shinola.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:14 PM   #24
Charlie Brown

I have to post this just so i can defend myself as it &quot;appears&quot; that the last six posts were aimed at me. Not sure. Hard to tell with these message boards.

First, I agreed it was not embarrassing for Cuban, but I do think he was too glazed by the pipedreams of Rashard that he put other key FA's on the backburner.

Second, by other key FA's, I'm referring to guys like Donyell Marshall and Keon Clark. I don't think guys like Byron Russell, Walt Williams, and Popeye Jones were worth waiting for. However, I do think Marshall and Clark would have been cheap valuable additions.

Third, anyone who looks at Marshall and Clark versus Lewis individually would undoubtedly come to the conclusion that Lewis is the bigger talent and has more potential. But in the Maverick's case, we're not in rebuilding mode and should not be necessarily looking for the best talent out there. I do think Lewis is an IDEAL small forward. BUT I do not think he is the ideal small forward for the Mavericks as it places Dirk at the power forward spot and Raef at the center spot. As a Mav fan for the past 15 years, I desperately want the Mavericks to win a championship. And over the last 4 years, I've been distressed by all these layups and dunks that the Mavs continuously give up. YET, Nelson wants to get another shooter, so that we can outscore the other team. That is such a bogus decision IMO. Fans who keep touting the fact that Lewis will keep Finley at the 2 spot and will help us with our rebounding don't realize that Finley did play a LOT of 2 last year while Najera started at the 3 or 4 (not sure which). BUT this didn't really give us an advantage over other teams. However, replace Najera with Lewis, and you get a guy who will be more focused on offense than getting offensive rebounds and hustling on defense, which will hurt our team. Furthermore, there's a reason why past championship teams do well offensively with just two stars and 3 role players. It's because you just concentrate all your offense to your most efficient and best scorers on the team. Add another scorer you will dilute each player's scoring opportunities and are just betting on the fact that each player gets his rhythm down with less shots. It's a good thing we're run-and-gun with this team, since each player gets more shots, but with the addition of Lewis, the lack of rhythm is a huge problem.

Fourth, looking at all this, I think Lewis is too big of a risk to wait on while we could have added guys like Marshall and Clark who would have AT LEAST solidified our bench and don't mind being role players while Lewis would command a starting spot for as long as he would have been with the Mavs.

I just don't want another playoff series where the media and fans get angry because the Mavs lost due to one of the Mavs' stars not getting on fire or because we had terrible bench play and our interior defense was porous. There's a reason why the Mavs played really well when Finley got injured. It's because Nash and Nowitzki got more shots, which meant they got into more of a rhythm, and had the hot hands during this period. The Mavs played some of their best ball during this time. This goes to show that the Mavs don't necessarily need a lot of scorers on their team to be a strong offensive team.

We should focus more signing guys like Marshall and Clark to shore up our bench and then try to trade for a starting frontcourt player than to sign Lewis IMO. If we had signed Lewis, it would have hindered us for at least another year of trying to trade for a starting banger type as there would have been no room with Nash-Fin-Lewis-Dirk-Raef.

But since Lewis signed with Seattle, this is a moot point now. I was just responding to the other posters' remarks and trying to show that while Cuban has nothing to be embarrassed about, I felt he and Nellie could have made smarter GM moves during this offseason.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:29 PM   #25
Charlie Brown

And on a last note, to those who think otherwise, I respect yall's opinions, which is why I haven't ridiculed or tried to patronize anyone. I do understand where you guys are coming from, because at first, I fell right into the hype of signing a potential all-star who would have fit right into the offensive scheme of the Mavericks. But then I took a step back and thought about it more and for me, I started to get a gut feeling that it would be a bad move for the Mavericks for the reasons I just mentioned. I'm a poster who strongly believes in the importance of getting the right mix of key stars and key role players. You can't have too much of either IMO. With Lewis, I felt the Mavs would have been overloaded with stars and the chemistry that we've worked so hard to build might become vulnerable to disruption, a thought that really made me think twice about the pursuit of Lewis. So, to each his own. I don't mind posters disagreeing with my posts, because if I did, I probably wouldn't be here as it seems 99% of the posters disagree with me. I'm just trying to show that I'm not some troller trying to harp irrationally about the signing of Lewis just for the sake of doing so. I feel I have good reasons why I think it was best that we did not sign Lewis and I just hope you can at least respect that but not necessarily consent to it. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:10 AM   #26
dude1394
Guru

I just do not see that Keon Clark or Donyell Marshall is that big of a deal, in that we will just have to disagree. I don't see that Clark was worth the problems he would bring nor is he that big of a deal.

If seemed like even before the rashard thing was out there the mavs never talked about being interested in clark, of course you can say they were just shining me on, but if they wanted him they could have had him. My take on him is that he is trouble in a locker-room and marginally talented, why take that risk?

Donyell Marshall, Keon Clark, Shawn Kemp... they all looks like spares, so I do not understand the angst, especially for players who will see most of their time on the bench. I would just as soon have Najera out there for 24-30 minutes.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:14 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

<< I feel I have good reasons why I think it was best that we did not sign Lewis and I just hope you can at least respect that but not necessarily consent to it. Thanks. >>

Sure, makes getting on this board the interesting activity it is. As long as you too can accept that it's only a difference of opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I dont understand why people keep saying Clark will bring troubles. How much more troubles can he bring then NVE who hasnt brought any so far? Yea im aware Clark got caught smokin weed but how do u know Finley or Dirk or Nash arent smokin weed but just didnt get caught? What was the percent that Oakly gave liek 70 percent of the NBA smokes weed? I dont believe it but I do believe there are alot that do and thats hwy so many get caught.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:33 PM   #29
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

If there was some way that a team could spin it like Clark's weed smoking was in the past, I'd take a chance but not immediately after the bust was in the paper. As far as who does or does not smoke, I don't know, their names haven't been in the newspaper.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:45 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

<< I dont understand why people keep saying Clark will bring troubles. How much more troubles can he bring then NVE who hasnt brought any so far? Yea im aware Clark got caught smokin weed but how do u know Finley or Dirk or Nash arent smokin weed but just didnt get caught? What was the percent that Oakly gave liek 70 percent of the NBA smokes weed? I dont believe it but I do believe there are alot that do and thats hwy so many get caught. >>

I'm not nearly as worried about the pot as I've heard he has a horrible work ethic. Last to arrive and first to leave. I also think that Nellie and co. just don't like this guy.