Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Official Hot Stove Thread

The Yankees just signed Mike Mussina to a 2 year deal.

Frank Thomas close to signing with Toronto.

Zito is in Washington talking terms with the Nats.

Last edited by Drbio; 11-15-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It should be a great offseason.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

For the Rangers, or the Giants???
Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
For the Rangers, or the Giants???
Haha, both

I actually meant that it should be a good offseason as a whole with lots of players moving around. I think the Giants will have one of the biggest offseason's though. They have Bonds' contract coming off the books and the decision to resign him or not, then Sabean is adding like 18 mil to the payroll somehow, and they have 10 other FA's including Schmidt so they have plenty of parts to either resign or trade and plenty of money to bring in a big name star as well as some other solid guys.

The Rangers should have an interesting offseason too. I doubt they resign GMJ, so they'll need to find another CF. They also probably won't resign Lee, so that's another OF that they need. And they could use a solid SP (but that's nothing new )

It should be very interesting for the Giants, Rangers, and actually the whole rest of the league as well.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Any news on possible places Soriano might end up?

Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I hope the rangers resign GMJ. I know he is not a great player but he is such a solid CF
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
I hope the rangers resign GMJ. I know he is not a great player but he is such a solid CF
Why wouldn't he be considered a great player after his amazing season last year? He got it done at the plate and who knows how many runs he saved with some of the craziest catches that I have ever seen. We FINALLY got a cf so why not resign him? We've been trying to get one forever and now that we have a very good one we're going to let him walk? Makes no sense, than again few of the rangers moves ever do.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
Why wouldn't he be considered a great player after his amazing season last year? He got it done at the plate and who knows how many runs he saved with some of the craziest catches that I have ever seen. We FINALLY got a cf so why not resign him? We've been trying to get one forever and now that we have a very good one we're going to let him walk? Makes no sense, than again few of the rangers moves ever do.
If it takes $10M a year for GMJ that drives up the cost of Young, Tex, etc.

Resign him within reason, if someone else goes crazy, then start looking again.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I want GMJ back in Arlington in 07!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I want GMJ back in Arlington in 07!!!
I would like to see that as well, but not at $10M a year. If GMJ is worth 10, what is Young, Tex, and Millwood worth? What does that make Kinsler worth 6-8?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I dont think GMJ is worth what he's asking. Would rather use that money towards Zito or some other pitching.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

GMJ will not return. The price is already more than Daniels has said he was comfortable with.

Bonds agent is in Arlington today for exploratory talks.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I hate Barry Bonds. The steroids thing did it for me.

The Rangers need to trade for a Buerhle, Garland, or Bonderman type of pitcher. It is make or break year for Edison Volquez. Will we finally see some John Danks.
If we were going to pay for a great hitter trade for Manny Ramirez. The guy is clutch and can put up 40 homeruns and 130 RBIs in our park.

Last edited by jayC; 11-16-2006 at 04:59 PM.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
GMJ will not return. The price is already more than Daniels has said he was comfortable with.

Bonds agent is in Arlington today for exploratory talks.
I don't think for one second he'll end up here....but forget about going to Rangers games, I won't even watch the damned things on the tv if he signs with the Rangers.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Bonds will resign with the Giants.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
I hate Barry Bonds. The steroids thing did it for me.
So I take it you hate Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi, Julius Peppers and Shawne Merriman too?

Also Im gonna go out on a VERY thick limb and tell you that Brady anderson took steroids too. Also pudge and Juan have as much evidence pointing to them being on the roids as does...

Hes a very hateable guy but i find it hilarious that a guy who never tested positive for anything gets more steroids hate than guys who have tested positive for it...

To be clear I do think he used HGH but the guy gets more than his deserved share of hate for this... I dont care for him anyway but its not the steroids...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Five-ofan again.

Big Mac, Sammy, and Jose Canseco can be added to the list as well as Thome, Frank Thomas, and even Tex as possibilities yet they don't get nearly as much hate.

I guess it's just because Bonds has been so good, but he was a top player in the league even before the alleged steroid use.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 11-16-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
FahQ

FahQ will become famous soon enoughFahQ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Five-ofan again.

Big Mac, Sammy, and Jose Canseco can be added to the list as well as Thome, Frank Thomas, and even Tex as possibilities yet they don't get nearly as much hate.

I guess it's just because Bonds has been so good, but he was a top player in the league even before the alleged steroid use.
I might be a little bit of a homer, but I would be shocked if Tex has ever taken roids. His physical features haven't changed at all since he was in college.
FahQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahQ
I might be a little bit of a homer, but I would be shocked if Tex has ever taken roids. His physical features haven't changed at all since he was in college.
There's a possibility, just like with a majority of the players in the league.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #20
FahQ

Quote:
There's a possibility, just like with a majority of the players in the league.
There's a possibilty that I'm a Rhodes Scholar but I think that's a bit far fetched. Honestly I haven't ever heard Tex's name mentioned in the steroids debate's. But Hell, you could be right.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I heard this afternoon that Hicks had flat-out ruled out the possibility of signing Barry Bonds. Maybe BaD Radio was wrong, though.

As for me...if they signed Bonds I'm certain I would go to more than one game a year (as I do now). I like for my sports to be mixed with a healthy dose of entertainment.

I also couldn't care one bit less whether he has done steroids. So steroids are bad for your body. There's a lot of things that are bad for your body. Two-a-days in August is pretty hellacious on the body, as evidenced by the mounting number of casualties in recent years. But I don't hear a lot of fervor about banning working out in the heat.

It doesn't bother me one bit if atheletes have a bit of a gladiator element to them. I think we all realize they do, on some level, whether we admit it or not.

Last edited by chumdawg; 11-16-2006 at 09:00 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
There's a possibilty that I'm a Rhodes Scholar but I think that's a bit far fetched. Honestly I haven't ever heard Tex's name mentioned in the steroids debate's. But Hell, you could be right.
He hasn't been. The reason I threw him in there is because of how amazing a season he had last year compared to the one he had this year. I brought it up about midseason, and a couple people agreed with me so I threw him in there in this topic as well. It's mere speculation.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the list of baseball players linked to steroids is ridiculous. Jeff bagwell should be included too, pretty much every relief pitcher of the last decade should be included. Cal ripken should be included. Theres just no way to know and barring any conclusive test, it seems harsh to single out bonds.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

We should sign tmac when he retires from basketball, he said he wants to be a pitcher...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #25
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
the list of baseball players linked to steroids is ridiculous. Jeff bagwell should be included too, pretty much every relief pitcher of the last decade should be included. Cal ripken should be included. Theres just no way to know and barring any conclusive test, it seems harsh to single out bonds.
Amen. Well said.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #26
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked but I doubt he has and a lot of players start at the high school level. cough south lake cough
Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #27
FahQ

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked but I doubt he has and a lot of players start at the high school level. cough south lake cough
They don't take roids in southlake. The children come from genetic experiments. I honestly believe that they are trying to breed a master race out there. Have you seen the way all the kids look? They make the kids on the shows laguna beach and the OC look like they have down syndrome.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
They don't take roids in southlake. The children come from genetic experiments. I honestly believe that they are trying to breed a master race out there. Have you seen the way all the kids look? They make the kids on the shows laguna beach and the OC look like they have down syndrome.
there are 4 things that make southlake dominant. Money-They can afford to go to every camp from the time when they are little and they can afford to keep the best coach in the state, Size- they are HUGE, i know SLC has an enrollment of around 2600 but thats just the 11th and 12th grade the 9th and 10th is even bigger and all of them are eligible to play for the varsity football team. Recruiting-they recruit. Coaching-as mentioned before todd dodge is without question the best coach in texas.

oh yeah and 5 winning is why they win. None of them have ever done anything but win, they dont know how to lose...

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-17-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #29
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Coming out of Chi-town....

Quote:
While one Mets executive discounted reports of their interest in Javier Vazquez (a favorite of general manager Omar Minaya from their time together in Montreal), the rumors of a possible White Sox-Mets trade persist. Ditto possibilities for the Sox and the Rangers, who are interested in Vazquez and Mark Buehrle. There's the making for a monster deal between these teams, with Sox center fielder Brian Anderson and Rangers reliever Akinori Otsuka among the names in play. The White Sox like pitching prospects John Danks and Nick Masset, and the Rangers reportedly would part with the previously untouchable Danks to land a starter they could control through 2008.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Umm if we give up danks for MB or Vasquez i will hurl. I would lay a fairly large amount of money on danks being better than either of those guys in 08. Masset for anderson does have possibilites though. Danks is a YOUNG lefty with 3 plus pitches who has had at least some success in triple A. You dont give those guys away without getting a bonafide star back(and only then if you are one player away) Neither of these guys are bonafide stars and the Rangers arent one player away...
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
there are 4 things that make southlake dominant. Money-They can afford to go to every camp from the time when they are little and they can afford to keep the best coach in the state, Size- they are HUGE, i know SLC has an enrollment of around 2600 but thats just the 11th and 12th grade the 9th and 10th is even bigger and all of them are eligible to play for the varsity football team. Recruiting-they recruit. Coaching-as mentioned before todd dodge is without question the best coach in texas.

oh yeah and 5 winning is why they win. None of them have ever done anything but win, they dont know how to lose...
And what about bribing refs? Plano should have beat them last year in the playoffs if not for the refs. The southlake running back(nate newtons son) clearly fumbled the ball and it was initially called a fumble but the back judge who was 30 yards away from the play overturned the call 30 seconds later. Right after that southlake scored thanks to one of the worst pass interference calls that I have ever seen. Plano should have won the game, they were up most of the game until the refs got involved.

And the rangers better show TMAC the money when he decides to pursue MLB..he could be our ace
Old 11-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
And what about bribing refs? Plano should have beat them last year in the playoffs if not for the refs. The southlake running back(nate newtons son) clearly fumbled the ball and it was initially called a fumble but the back judge who was 30 yards away from the play overturned the call 30 seconds later. Right after that southlake scored thanks to one of the worst pass interference calls that I have ever seen. Plano should have won the game, they were up most of the game until the refs got involved.

And the rangers better show TMAC the money when he decides to pursue MLB..he could be our ace
I didnt see that particular game but a team that was 65-1 since moving to 5A has a whole lot more going for it than officiating. Youll never convince m e they bribe the refs...
Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

It is official, Thomas is off the market! The big hurt was signed by Toronto for 2/18.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #34
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Manny headed to Texas now?

Quote:
Nov 17 - The Red Sox are talking to the Rangers about a possible deal for Manny Ramirez, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports. Texas is looking for a bat to help bolster its lineup, in an offseason in which they might lose Carlos Lee, Mark DeRosa and Gary Matthews Jr.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 11-17-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Manny would be a good move. Pitching wasn't the only problem in Arlington last year!

I hope it doesn't take multiple A+ pitching prospects! I really don't want to see Danks, Diamond, or Hurley touched.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #36
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't take any A+ pitching prospects, I don't thin. Manny's been put on waivers before and no one would touch him because of his contract.

I bet, if they picked up his entire contract, they could get him for Arias and a mid-level prospect.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Manny would be a good move. Pitching wasn't the only problem in Arlington last year!

I hope it doesn't take multiple A+ pitching prospects! I really don't want to see Danks, Diamond, or Hurley touched.
It wouldnt take anywhere near that. Diamond isnt an A+ prospect though, hes a B prospect at best. There is very little chance he ends up being an effective starter imo, He could be solid out of the pen. As for manny, no thanks. Hes a GREAT hitter but if were gonna do that I would rather trade for arod back and just agree to pay the part of his contract were not already paying, it would be cheaper...
Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #38
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Manny to Texas would be great for you guys.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:52 AM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Manny to Texas would be great for you guys.
No, it wouldnt. I wouldnt sign him to his contract so if we have to take on his contract to get him, I wouldnt give up anything of any value...

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-18-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:11 AM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Actually Five-O, yes it would!