Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

A poster from Mavtalk posted this little tidbit:

"According to a spanish newspaper, Raja Bell has rescinded his contract with Tau Cerámica (the same team has signed ex-Hawk Hanno Mottola) because the SG has an offer of a NBA team: Dallas."

I've never known this poster to be a troll and post false information, so it could be credible.

Although it's not big news, I do like Raja Bell as a player and noticed that he was an unrestricted free agent. However, why do we need him when we already have Griffin and Tariq at the backup SG spot.

Whatever. This may just be a rumor.

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

he could play the point i think. in fact, i always thought he was a little undersized, but i may be thinking of charlie bell.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Raja Bell is indeed a rather oversized combo guard.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

is that the guy that was with Philly?
Old 09-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Raja Bell

Height: 6-5 Weight: 204 lbs. Born: September 19, 1976, St. Croix, Virgin Islands Age: 26 College: Florida International

Career Averages: 3.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.3 spg

Roster filler on any squad...
Old 09-24-2002, 04:25 PM   #6
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Roster filler on any squad... >>

Which is probably the point. As pointed out on another thread the Mavs are almost certainly not going with just 12 players at training camp. They'll need another 2 or 3 just for practic purposes. If Raja's been signed that's what he is. If he does well enough, he can man the IR list for the season.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, my roster filler comment sounded harsher than I meant it...

Bell was a decent spot player for Philly, and he would provide decent backcourt injury insurance if we do in fact sign him...

Hoopsmeister is correct about the IR too... Gosh knows we are probably going to need another couple of &quot;roster fillers&quot; in order to fill out the IR list...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

He had his moments for Philly. He did run the point for them (as much as one can on AI's team, anyway).

I like him as the waiting-in-the-wings young backup PG if he can play the position.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

He only put in time at point when both Snow and Claxton (and even McKie) were hurt. It's really not his position. He's a big guard. I do agree he had some good minutes for Philly even in the finals and I don't object to him--although we already have 3 guys (Finley, Griffin, TAW) who play the same position. Maybe given Griffin and TAW's health concerns a 4th makes sense but I still don't expect Bell to be anything but practice fodder.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 PM   #10
beautifulmavs

beautifulmavs is on a distinguished road

<< A poster from Mavtalk posted this little tidbit:

&quot;According to a spanish newspaper, Raja Bell has rescinded his contract with Tau Cer&aacute;mica (the same team has signed ex-Hawk Hanno Mottola) because the SG has an offer of a NBA team: Dallas.&quot;

I've never known this poster to be a troll and post false information, so it could be credible.

Although it's not big news, I do like Raja Bell as a player and noticed that he was an unrestricted free agent. However, why do we need him when we already have Griffin and Tariq at the backup SG spot.

Whatever. This may just be a rumor.
>>

Thanks Charlie Brown for trust in me.
Here is an article of the spanish League website (ACB -Basketball Clubs Asociation-) where you can find at the below of the page all the history. The article is in spanish.
www.acb.com/acb2/A08/A08-01.jsp?id=6775#bell

More or less, the translation would be this:

Agreement for the rescission of Raja Bell

On the other hand, the Tau Cer&aacute;mica and the SG born in the Virgin Isles Raja Bell have come today to a satisfactory agreement for rescind the contract that was joining them, as confirmed the club baskonista in a press release. The player already had demonstrated to the Tau last week that had possibilities of playing in NBA team, Dallas.

The club baskonista wishes the player &quot; the major(bigger) one of the lucks &quot; in his(its) new professional gait. Likewise, the Baskonia indicates in the press release that &quot; the doors of the club remain opened for Bell who at all time has supported a magnificent behavior with his(its,her) companions, technical personnel and executives &quot;.TextText
beautifulmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I dont know yall maybe because I havent seen him play much but the guy is more than a roster filler or a IR player. IF he does sign by talent wise I would say he is probaly or 6th or 7th best player. The guy can score would be a terrific guy to have off the bench. His stats arent good at all and I dont kown why but I coulda sworn in the playoffs and the Finals a season before last he was averagin aroudn 12 points. Some was saying he was 6ers 3rd best player a year ago. Didnt get to see him last season much tho but ima ll for signing him the guy can score.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #12
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

If Bell is so good, why did Larry Brown, one of the top coaches and talent evaluators in the league, let him go?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Yeah, I'm surprised the Sixers could afford to give up that 3.3 ppg...
Old 09-24-2002, 08:51 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking the same thing.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:52 PM   #15
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

<< If Bell is so good, why did Larry Brown, one of the top coaches and talent evaluators in the league, let him go? >>

yeah, i don't know what the story is there, but with iverson starting at the two guard and both aaron mckie and newly signed greg buckner penciled in to play backup, bell probably fell victim to the numbers game.

also, larry brown let go of matt harpring, a very talented player, so it's not like raja bell was the only one. but then again, matt harpring would have commanded a larger salary . . . so i'm not exactly sure why bell wasn't resigned.

but from the couple games i've seen him play, he seems to be a fairly fluid player with a good offensive game. i like the idea of having an oversized combo guard as a backup for the mavericks, but i need to see more of raja before i can decide whether raja can fit the bill.

hey, beautifulmavs . . . didn't realize you were on dallas-mavs.com as well. see u around at mavtalk!
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:18 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let's all hope that Griff can play 25 minutes a game without getting hurt. BUT...

TAW sucks. I will go on record as saying that he is, was, and will always be nailed to the pine.

..so you got some use outta Buck last year.. that's where Raja could fit in this year. Although he may not be that far ahead of TAW he does have his health, and he could improve.

edit -- my grammar needs help
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:45 PM   #17
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I got it from a reliable source that, &quot;IF he(Bell) does sign by talent wise I would say he is probaly or 6th or 7th best player.&quot;

That means the Mavs can sign a guy off the street who would come in and be one of the top players on the team. No telling what other guys can be signed off the street and the Mavs could remake their whole team. Who needs Rashard Lewis? I don't know why the Mavs bother with scouting or the draft, guys like this are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Rotation players are working at the 7-11. Take that, those who didn't think the Mavs were going to do anything this off-season!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:55 PM   #18
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

4-Letter Words
Raja Bell To Join 16-Man Camp Roster

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The Mavs’ training-camp roster is going to be loaded with four-letter words. Like “Raja,’’ and maybe “Hood.’’

Sources tell DallasBasketball.com that Raja Bell is close to signing a one-year, partially-guaranteed deal with Dallas, with hopes that he can fill Greg Buckner's role. Also, the organization is also working to add hard-working camp fodder like Arkansas product Derek Hood.
A couple of mangled media quotes have created the mistaken impression that the Mavs might open Oct. 1 camp with as few as 12 bodies. But no: Dallas will employ the usual 16 or 17 bodies, with at least 13 of them – including former Sixers rags-to-riches-story Bell – penciled in to eventually win uniforms.
“We’re going to keep a pretty tight group,’’ Mavs president Donnie Nelson says. “The focus isn’t going to be so much on competition for jobs as it is on defensive instruction and defensive technique. We don’t need a lot of extra bodies to be taught. We need to work with the guys we have.’’
Bell, 26, joined Philly in 2001 after being signed to a 10-day contract on a journey that began with him playing in a Miami YMCA league and culminated with him helping the Sixers to the Finals while drawing the assignment of Kobe Bryant. NBA people believe his only real problem in Philadelphia was getting overexposed by coach Larry Brown, who fell in love with the 6-5 scrapper but then may have played him too many minutes. Dallas compares Bell favorably to ex-Mav Erick Strickland.
“He’s a perfect 15-minute-a-game guy for them,’’ says one scout. “He can be an Adrian Griffin-type find. They don’t need him to shoot, he can be better in the open court than playing in the East ever showed, and he’s long and strong defensively.’’
Bell will contest for minutes along with an otherwise pretty established group: three point guards in Steve Nash, Nick Van Exel and Avery Johnson; swingmen Michael Finley, Adrian Griffin and Tariq Abdul-Wahad; and front-courters Dirk Nowitzki, Raef LaFrentz, Popeye Jones, Evan Eschmeyer, Shawn Bradley and, when he signs, Eduardo Najera.
That makes 12. Bell would be 13. Wang Zhizhi remains in limbo. But the end of the camp bench will include three or four more fellas, including the 6-8 Derek Hood, who has bounced around basketball’s minor leagues since leaving the University of Arkansas.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:00 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I liked about that db.com article is that it states the Mavs are trying to add Derek Hood.

I know if he even makes the roster, he'll be on the IR, but I like the fact he could be at camp.

I think we talked about him last summer (?) after his show in the summer league. Well, he had another nice showing this time around.

As for Raja, sounds fine. I don't know what the big fuss is, couldn't hurt to have another defensive-minded player for '15' minutes or so with Griffin and TAW's health issues.

Also, was thinking could he be added with the thought that AJ could be going somewhere? Doubtful, but still.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #20
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I apologize. I didn't know Chuck opened a thread. Sorry.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Why don't we just call Cuban?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #22
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

You know guys, I just can not get used to Charlie B using the Cropplers and Nellie Icon...He just is not the aggressive personality I expect when I see that smoker...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:10 AM   #23
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Crippler.....I really need to open my eyes more when posting...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote