Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute
Default T.O., Bledsoe plan to 'make a statement' in opener

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2576630

IRVING, Texas -- Terrell Owens is feeling good about his hamstring -- and about his budding relationship with quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Week 1: Cowboys at Jaguars

What kind of impact will Terrell Owens have in his Cowboys debut? To get you ready for the Cowboys vs. Jaguars matchup, Scouts, Inc. breaks down the game.
• To see which team has the edge, click here.

Owens went through practice Wednesday without any limitations, a first since returning from his latest setback. He came away as optimistic as ever about what he, Bledsoe and the Dallas Cowboys can do this season, starting Sunday in Jacksonville.

"I think if I had to play tomorrow, definitely I'd be ready to play," Owens said. "Every day, I'm getting better, definitely getting myself mentally in tune with the game plan to be able to go out there and communicate with Drew. We're trying to get on the same page and go out and make a statement."

Owens' injury prevented him and Bledsoe from getting down their timing. They played only one series together in the preseason, with Bledsoe unable to get off a pass to T.O. during it.

They've tried making up for lost time on the practice field. They stayed late Monday working on deep balls, then got in plenty of passes Wednesday.

"Our timing is getting there," Bledsoe said. "It's a work in progress and will continue to be for as long as we're together. But it's coming along fairly quickly and is probably ahead of where you might think considering the limited time we've been together."

The duo has discussed nuances about certain routes to get a better feel for what the other is thinking. The other adjustment is Bledsoe getting a feel for Owens' speed, which is unusual for someone his size.

"I expect to hit the end zone every time I step on the field. Honestly, I'm trying to start a new chapter here in Dallas. I'm looking to score my first one and many to follow."
-- Terrell Owens
"Once he gets flying down the field, he has another gear that you don't see very often," Bledsoe said. "So I've got to learn that. I've got to convince myself to throw it a little farther than I thought. I'm getting to where I understand where he's going pretty quickly."

Coach Bill Parcells also is getting to know Owens better now that he's practicing again.

"I'm just kind of talking to him a little bit about where he is, how he feels," Parcells said. "He hasn't had any problems that I know of since he returned to practice. He seems to be kind of accelerating his progress as we go now."

Parcells said he doesn't know whether Owens, who hasn't played a full game since Oct. 30, when he was with Philadelphia, has the stamina to play a full game in the Florida heat and humidity.

"If we were going to go play in Montana, somewhere it was going to be 45 degrees, that might be something different," Parcells said.

Coincidentally, Owens was dressed in beach attire Wednesday: matching black and red Air Jordan tank top and shorts, topped by a bucket hat. He seemed laid-back, too, as he described the building excitement of the opener and the tough choice defenses will face when they try stopping him, Terry Glenn and Jason Witten.

"We're going to give some defenses some fits," Owens said, smiling. "They're going to have their hands full."

Owens knows Parcells is going to run the ball a lot, which is why he's not looking for a specific number of catches. All he cares about is "just making plays."

"I just need to get my hands on the ball," he said.

What about needing a touchdown?

"I expect to hit the end zone every time I step on the field," he said. "Honestly, I'm trying to start a new chapter here in Dallas. I'm looking to score my first one and many to follow."
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Lets all meet at the galleria and buy our T.O. jersey’s together...
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

They're going to make the statement, "oh sh!t, our O-line blows"
Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well personally I hope TO gets ALL of the attention as I have Bledsoe and Glenn on my fteam.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

TO's got somethin cooking.....

Getcha popcorn ready.....

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

our Bad O-line shouldnt be as big of a problem since we have T.O. - BELIEVE ME, teams will think twice about single covering T.O. and Glenn just so they can bring the blitz. We'll have to beat the blitz a few times for them to comprehend, but I think sooner or later other teams will get the message.