Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Countdown to Cowboy's Training Camp

Keith Davis got shot last night and that could only mean one thing: camp is around the corner.

--------------------------------

Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis, 27, was recovering at Baylor Medical Center Dallas Sunday after he was shot twice while driving along Interstate 635 at about 5 a.m. Sunday.

Police said Mr. Davis was driving westbound on the highway near the North Dallas Tollway when a dark-colored vehicle with tinted windows pulled alongside his Chevrolet Impala and someone shot at him several times.

Dallas police are investigating motive and suspects.

Police said Mr. Davis is in stable condition and his injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the team was aware of the incident, but would not comment.

The Cowboys signed Davis as a free agent in 2002 after a standout career at Sam Houston State. He played on special teams his first season.

He re-signed with the Cowboys on March 7, 2003, but was released July 26 after suffering a gunshot wound as a bystander in an altercation. He did not play in the NFL in 2003.

Davis played mostly on special teams in 2004. He started 15 games at safety last season, recording 66 tackles.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....1b414afc.html

Last edited by dirno2000; 07-16-2006 at 02:24 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Bullets just find that guy, don't they? I am very distressed by this news. Like Davis a lot.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Keith Davis got shot last night and that could only mean one thing: camp is around the corner.

--------------------------------

Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis, 27, was recovering at Baylor Medical Center Dallas Sunday after he was shot twice while driving along Interstate 635 at about 5 a.m. Sunday.

Police said Mr. Davis was driving westbound on the highway near the North Dallas Tollway when a dark-colored vehicle with tinted windows pulled alongside his Chevrolet Impala and someone shot at him several times.

Dallas police are investigating motive and suspects.

Police said Mr. Davis is in stable condition and his injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the team was aware of the incident, but would not comment.

The Cowboys signed Davis as a free agent in 2002 after a standout career at Sam Houston State. He played on special teams his first season.

He re-signed with the Cowboys on March 7, 2003, but was released July 26 after suffering a gunshot wound as a bystander in an altercation. He did not play in the NFL in 2003.

Davis played mostly on special teams in 2004. He started 15 games at safety last season, recording 66 tackles.
l
Saw that headline, and thought something sounded very familiar.

If I were a teammate of his, I wouldn't be accepting any rides home.

Anybody think Parcells keeps him around?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

FOOSEBALL is BACK.

Starting FS Pat Watkins?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Saw that headline, and thought something sounded very familiar.

If I were a teammate of his, I wouldn't be accepting any rides home.

Anybody think Parcells keeps him around?
It's not like he did anything wrong (at least what's being reporting). He should heal up in time for training camp, at least lets hope so. The cowboys better hope so, or we're in a tough spot.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
It's not like he did anything wrong (at least what's being reporting). He should heal up in time for training camp, at least lets hope so. The cowboys better hope so, or we're in a tough spot.
Gettin' shot twice in 4 years is soooo improbable, and suggests all kinds of things about the kinds of people a player is hanging out with.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him healing up off the clock.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Gettin' shot twice in 4 years is soooo improbable, and suggests all kinds of things about the kinds of people a player is hanging out with.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him healing up off the clock.
You're kind of jumping to conclusions. He was shot while driving on the highway. It could have happened to any of us. It wasn't as if he was shot at a dealers house or something.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet Big Bill is getting the "whole" story.......I don't think anywhere I have read, anyone is giving an idea as to "why" this happened -- either random drive-by, car-jacking, or drug related.

All judgement is held up till I hear of the true story.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
You're kind of jumping to conclusions. He was shot while driving on the highway. It could have happened to any of us. It wasn't as if he was shot at a dealers house or something.
Probability, son, probability.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Keek is right about this one. The guy evidently hangs with the wrong sort of crowd. Or, do you regularly hear about random drive-by's on 635? My goodness, I take that stretch of road just about every day. Though very, very rarely at 5am (at least from the night side).

Let's put it this way. I'm well more than 99% certain those bullets were intended for Keith Davis. (As an aside, when is the last time an NFL player has been murdered?)

Parcells cut him once before for this sort of thing. He's big on telling his players not to put themselves in situations where something bad could happen. I don't know about the extent of his injuries. I heard on the radio that he was shot three times (head, neck, and abdomen, I think they said). Who knows if he'll even be physically able to play this year.

But even if he is, I could see Parcells telling him no. Big Bill loves the kid, no question about that. But Big Bill also runs a tight ship.

Again, just terrible news. The guy was an asset, and also a good story (up until now, at least).
Old 07-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

They have updated the story, and perhaps I should lower my surety rate. They think it may have been a carjacking, because his Impala was "in excellent condition and had been modified." Still seems awfually unusual, though, to kill somebody for a modified Impala.

The story also says he was shot in the back of the head and the thigh.

I'm just glad the kid lived.

Last edited by chumdawg; 07-16-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
As an aside, when is the last time an NFL player has been murdered?
Pat Tillman, although he technically wasnt a NFL player at the time.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
They have updated the story, and perhaps I should lower my surety rate. They think it may have been a carjacking, because his Impala was "in excellent condition and had been modified." Still seems awfually unusual, though, to kill somebody for a modified Impala.

The story also says he was shot in the back of the head and the thigh.

I'm just glad the kid lived.
A carjacking on the freeway? That doesn't make sense.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs413
And technically, he wasn't murdered.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs413
Reading the Times I see.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Skyler Green will take one back this year. I can't wait to see him in person Aug 21 in Shreveport (guys night out).
Old 07-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Reading the Times I see.
what? the Times?
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Good news heading into camp. Now we need to get Roy done. I have a feeling that will be a little tougher.

----------------------------------------

Cowboys, Pro Bowl TE Witten agree on six-year deal
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Two-time Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, who has emerged with the Dallas Cowboys as one of the league's elite young players at the position, on Saturday reached agreement on a new six-year contract, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal, in the works for most of the offseason, addresses one of Dallas' most important priorities, which was securing the three-year veteran for the long term. Witten was entering the final season of the original four-year contract he signed with the Cowboys as a third-round choice in the 2003 draft, and was scheduled to have a base salary of $1.573 million in 2006.

Without the new deal, Witten would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring. The goal of both sides was to have a new deal in place before the Cowboys reported for training camp next week. Talks between the Cowboys and agent Jimmy Sexton were ramped up over the past few days.

The new contract is worth about $28 million-$29 million, includes a $12 million signing bonus, and both reflects and reinforces Witten's status now among standout tight ends in the league. A former University of Tennessee star, Witten has played in the Pro Bowl each of the last two seasons.

Although he has played three seasons, Witten is only 24 years old, and he continues to improve every year.

His breakthrough came in 2004, when Witten had 87 receptions for 980 yards and six touchdowns. From a statistical standpoint, it was one of the top 12 seasons in NFL history for a tight end. He did not reach those numbers in 2005, catching 66 passes for 757 yards and six touchdowns, but Witten continued to grow into the position and clearly established himself as one of the NFL's premier middle-range receivers.

Witten also raised the level of his blocking over the last two seasons.

The Cowboys plan to use a two-tight end set as their base formation in 2006, with second-round draft choice Anthony Fasano of Notre Dame projected as a starter, and so Witten will continue to have a very prominent role in the Dallas offensive design. In the recrafted offense, Witten might be used more as an H-back, rather as a conventional tight end.

In three seasons, Witten has appeared in 47 games, with 38 starts. He has 188 receptions for 2,084 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Last edited by dirno2000; 07-22-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

Our offense is going to be unstoppable. I have heard that Barber looks great this summer. We are stacked at every position!

Dirno, how do you like the Cowboys' chances? Or is it too early to tell?

I hope something develops at safety. I'm looking forward to seeing this Pat Watkins kid, and I'm hoping Beriault comes back better than ever.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I’m feeling really good about this year. I think our defense is going to be nasty and this is why:

Ware looks for more in second season

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

During a rookie season that was about as perplexing at times as it was productive, DeMarcus Ware let everyone else talk the talk because the Dallas Cowboys linebacker, the earlier of the team's two choices in the first round of the 2005 draft, usually was too inundated trying to, well, you know.
Quit crawling and get up, no matter how unsteadily, on his two feet.

The coaches talked to him about the nuances of making the switch from college defensive end to weakside linebacker as the Cowboys made the transition to the 3-4 alignment that coach Bill Parcells always has preferred. Friends talked to him about what it was like to have so much money, after a fairly challenging upbringing, and how he felt tooling around town in his new BMW 750Li after having spent so many years driving his beaten-down 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis. And the skeptics spoke of how the Cowboys might have been better off had they chosen Maryland linebacker Shawne Merriman, a prospect Dallas seriously considered, in the first round.
As for Ware, he pretty much spoke when spoken to, or when he had a pressing question about a defensive scheme or any of the new techniques he was trying to assimilate at a totally foreign position. And for that whole walk-the-walk thing? Ware assessed last week that it was only a modest success, despite a debut season in which he started all 16 games, established a franchise record for the most sacks by a rookie linebacker and recorded the second-most sacks by a first-year Cowboys defender at any position.
"Well, I managed to get one foot in front of the other, I guess, but I've still got a ways to go yet until I'm really up to speed," said Ware, the 11th player chosen overall in the 2005 draft and the first linebacker off the board, one slot ahead of Merriman, who was taken by San Diego. "It wasn't until the very end of the season before things started coming naturally to me. It's hard when stuff you're trying to do isn't second nature, where almost every move, you're thinking, 'OK, what now? What do I have to do to keep from messing this up?' Already this year, just in the minicamps and stuff, I feel so much quicker. And that's a result of being more confident and knowing what I'm doing. So, yeah, it's time to start walking the walk, and to be a lot more consistent, too."
Especially in rushing the passer.
Ware, 23, was destined, it seemed, to play in Dallas. Or, at least, to be a cowboy of some sort, maybe with a capital "C." When he was a child, his mother, Brenda, bought him a pair of cowboy boots that were a few sizes too big, with plenty of room for him to fill out eventually. The footwear earned him the nickname "Boot" from his mom. Ware then proceeded, in several sports, to boot his opponents all over the field.
In football, he first played wide receiver, then added linebacker, then defensive end, where he terrorized quarterbacks. Possessed of superb natural athletic skills thanks to his gene pool -- his mother was a track star at Auburn (Ala.) High School and played on the boys' varsity baseball team -- it seems Ware also was destined to become an elite pass rusher.
As a defensive end at Division I-A Troy, Ware was a fierce speed rusher, recording 25½ sacks in his final three seasons and displaying tremendous explosiveness off the edge of the defense. His rare ability to compress the pocket, his dynamic closing speed and the eye-opening auditions for scouts in the weeks that preceded the '05 lottery catapulted him up most draft boards.
"You couldn't ignore that twitch he had coming off the ball," said Jeff Ireland, the Cowboys' vice president of college and pro scouting. "He's got a suddenness to him. He just shoots out of the blocks."
That special brand of quickness netted Ware eight sacks in 2005, and Merriman -- who had 10 sacks and won defensive rookie of the year honors -- was the only first-year player with more. Ware registered 65 tackles, seventh-most among all NFL rookie linebackers in 2005 and fourth-best among rookie outside linebackers. Yet his maiden season, to Ware, was a little like a doughnut, with a conspicuous hole in the middle.
Of his eight sacks, four came in his first six games, then Ware went a frustrating eight contests without a quarterback takedown. The discouraging drought ended after Ware watched a videotape of former star Kansas City sacker Derrick Thomas, and when Dallas owner Jerry Jones challenged Ware to show critics he was the equal of Merriman and he responded with a three-sack performance against Carolina on Christmas Eve. Ware added another sack in the season finale, giving him four in his final two outings.
Ware learned a lot about himself, he said, in the last two games of the season. But he learned even more, he acknowledged, during the eight-week stretch with zero sacks.
"Rushing the quarterback, putting a guy on his back, it's what everybody wants to do, and it was a skill that I always seemed to have," Ware said. "But at this level, you aren't going to beat the tackles off the edge with just speed alone. I mean, don't get me wrong, speed is a great starting point. But the good tackles are going to stone you if that's all you've got in the [arsenal]. And during those eight weeks without a sack, that's exactly what happened to me. Guys caught up to me. They knew my game. I didn't have a lot of stuff to counter with. Basically, it told me, 'DeMarcus, you've got to take it up a notch or two because doing the same stuff that got you by in college isn't going to cut it.' So I've spent a lot of time this offseason trying to refine some new moves."
In addition to watching video of Thomas, he has devoted hours to scrutinizing the peerless countermoves of Indianapolis standout right end Dwight Freeney, a relentless pass rusher who regularly beats double- and even triple-team blocking, frequently with his trademark spin technique. Ware also has pored over tapes of star Tampa Bay rusher Simeon Rice, who arguably uses his hands better than any end in the league. Last month, in an effort to improve his hand speed and upgrade the quickness with which he takes on tackles and redirects them, before disengaging, Ware began karate classes.
"Rushing the quarterback, putting a guy on his back, it's what everybody wants to do, and it was a skill that I always seemed to have. But at this level, you aren't going to beat the tackles off the edge with just speed alone. I mean, don't get me wrong, speed is a great starting point. But the good tackles are going to stone you if that's all you've got in the [arsenal]." DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys LB
He feels that, with the fresh techniques gained even with his brief introduction to the martial arts, he will be better able to slap away tackles' hands. Ware isn't yet into chopping wooden boards in half or dissecting cinder blocks, but he is confident his new skill set will help him break into backfields more easily. "I know it's called football," Ware said, "but hands are just so important to your success."
So is handling the mental part of the game, and even Ware's teammates suggested in recent weeks that his recognition skills have improved dramatically. Ware conceded that, a year ago, his head was spinning with all the adjustments for which he was responsible and that he had problems identifying what the opposition offenses were planning when they used motion. There were plenty of occasions, he allowed, when he was uncertain whether he was supposed to rush the passer or drop off into coverage.
The latter technique was one that was totally anathema to him because he always had played moving forward at Troy and never had to play in reverse. How difficult was it for Ware to drop into the flat zone or patrol the short hook area? He was credited with just one pass defensed in 16 games.
"You can sense he's got a better feel for it [this spring]," veteran linebacker Al Singleton said. "DeMarcus is always going to be thought of as a pass rusher first. But he wants to be a great player, and that means being able to do everything, even the little stuff, well."
A player who displays almost no pretense -- he sports no tattoos, no earrings and very little bling -- Ware is a defender poised to turn mastery of the little stuff into a big-time career. He has been able to keep his weight at 260 pounds, after battling at times to maintain bulk as a rookie, and has not sacrificed any of his quickness to the ball. So maybe, in his second season, Ware will walk the walk. Even if he isn't quite ready yet to talk the talk.
Well-spoken, thoughtful and engaging on a variety of topics, Ware is wary of making predictions about his football future. He prefers reading offensive formations to reading tea leaves and assigns the crystal ball deciphering to teammates, many of whom are anxious to take up the task.
"He's got special skills, no doubt, and they just keep growing," said second-year defensive end Marcus Spears, the Cowboys' other first-round choice in 2005 and a close friend. "He's the kind of guy who lets his play do the talking for him, and it sure looks like he's ready for a big season."
Old 07-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Ware’s going to be a beast this year. Think about how he finished the season. In the Carolina game he had three sacks. The thing about that performance that doesn’t get enough play is that all three of them forced fumbles! The Panthers recovered them all but still. In fact, it was a Ware forced fumble that lead to Steven Smith getting thrown out of the game. Remember, Smith picked up the fumble and eventually was late hit. It wasn’t called and that lead to him making contact with the ref.

Last year he had one move, the outside speed rush and he still picked up 8 sacks. What’s he going to look like when he knows what he’s doing? When we can move him around so he’s not always facing the opponents best tackle?

Then there’s the D-line. Spears, Canty, Pepper Johnson, and jay Ratliff should all better with a year of experience.

IMO Terrance Newman is the most underrated corner in the league. He absolutely should have make the Pro-Bowl last year. Henry made more plays because teams didn’t throw at Newman. Look what he did to Smith. Sure he had help but so did every other corner he played against. Newmwn is a player.

Mickey said that Berialt was running really well in the off-season. Apparently, his surgery was more serious then we thought. He had the same procedure that Thornton had and Thornton was cut because he couldn’t pass a physical.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I agree on those points. I think Ware is really going to establish himself as a dominant pass rusher this year. I'm so excited about our defense.

If our OLine will hold, great things could happen this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-22-2006 at 09:18 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

It's exciting to think about what some of these second-year guys might do. I hear it every year, that a rookie has a "new body" for his second year (after a full off-season program). They said it about Witten, and look how that worked out. They are saying it this year about Pettiti (I expect good play from him this year). Now, I'm sure that guys like Ware and Spears and Canty and Johnson and Ratliff were stronger and more athletic to begin with, but they will still benefit.

This team has a chance to be nasty, dirty, filthy, ferocious, scintillating, dominating, intimidating, and FLAT OUT DOMINANT!

I can't wait for me some pre-season games!!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

D2K, that's a great article on Ware. Man, I can't wait. If that guy improves by leaps and bounds...look out! And to think about on down the line. If this Jason Hatcher monster-man can play, too. This defense should be stacked for quite some time.

On Newman, I completely agree with you that he had an underrated season last year. Wouldn't you like to watch him and TO battling in practice? I know I would.

Anyone think Ellis will be dealt? I hope he stays, but he sures seem unhappy in his current role.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The Ellis situation is kind of strange. He strikes me as a good guy trying to play the role of bad guy to get out of his contract. I'm not sure he can be disruptive enough to make Parcells think he's better off without him. Especially after what he said in his first mini camp press conference. It was something to the effect of "I told Greg that until I get another Demarcus Ware in here, he's not going anywhere". He said Ellis and Ware were his two primary pressure players so it wouldn't make sense to get rid of one of them.

If Carperter shows signs of being that type of player maybe Bill will change his tune. Otherwise, I expect Ellis to be here.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Ware’s going to be a beast this year.
boy, I hope you're right!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ware will be a beast. He has already made me get over(reluctantly) my grudge about the cowboys not drafting DJ with that pick(i know he wouldnt fit the 3-4 but my UT fandom is well documented on this board and he can play) Carpenter should be very solid though i would have liked lawson. THen again lawson would have been a little redundant as he is pretty similar to Ware which i would have liked but neither is suited to be the run stopping linebacker so its a solid pick.

After initially being strongly against the fasano pick, i like him now and i think the two te set should be extremely dangerous.(though we still should have picked mcneil) Tnew is great. He is every bit as good(and as fast) as deangelo hall. This season though hinges pretty much solely on the oline which scares the hell out of me. The cowboys had at best an average oline last year and they lost their best player on the oline. Then we have no certainity as to whether flozell will be good again(i know he fall starts and holds but he is a very solid football player) after the injury. If they can keep bledsoe upright and open some lanes for JJ and barber this team will go far.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I know he fall starts and holds but he is a very solid football player
Ahh, the lost art of the fall start...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

"false" im sleepy and i just got out of chem. My brain is asleep, sorry.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

Actually, I thought it sounded kinda cool that way.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Eric Williams used to fall start alot.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited about seeing how Carpenter fits in this Defense...am I wrong in assuming that he will start from the get go?

hey...assuming the Oline is decent or better...which do you think will be better this season

The Dallas Offense

Or

The Dallas Defense?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

THe defense should be better. I dont really have any reason to assume the oline will be decent or better. Flozell who is coming off of a major injury has the least question marks of anyone on the line. That is scary. Rivera sucked last year. Johnson has never been any good, Gurode cant get his head out of his butt and pettiti is was picked so late for a reason.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I agree with 5-0. You have to take a big leap of faith to assume the O-line will be better than decent. It's possible but a lot of things have to come together.

If somehow that happens, the strength swings to the offense because Terrell Owens is the best player on our football team, regardless of position. I'm confident that we have enough weapons around him to keep teams from game plannign him out of the offense. Bledsoe showed last year that if you keep him upright, he can still get it there.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

If the oline is better than decent, i think this team goes to the superbowl. Im just dont think that. The two te sets could help but then you are making two receiving tes into blockers which negates their strengths. I still cant believe we passed on mcneil just like i cant believe we passed on scott in the 3rd. I also wish we would have taken reggie mcneal instead of skyler green but this isnt a draft thread so i will get back to the point. I think the cowboys will finish 11-5 at least assuming bledsoe doesnt get hurt. The problem is i see them folding like the bills in the superbowl once the playoffs get here though because someone will blitz them to death and they wont be able to handle it. The one saving grace on that front is that we finally have a player who can make one guy miss and go 80 yards if you bring a blitz and dont get there. That shouldnt be understated. Also the upgrade from Cortez/cundiff/swishingham to M.V. Shouldnt be underestimated. If you just make that switch, the cowboys go 12-4 last year imo.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-24-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #36
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'm really anxious to see what this new offense looks like. Off the top of my head I can't remember a team running two tights, two wides and one back as it's base offense. I've been trying to simulate it on Madden but I can't find a playbook that features that formation. The two TE formations I've seen use one wide and two backs. They're basically goal line formations.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

The colts? They ran it ALOT. It was their base offense when they still had pollard. I dont know if you can set it as a base O but you can get to two tes two receiver one back on madden by going sideways on the two te formation or at least you used ot be able to. I havent played madden in a while.

edit-i dont know why i said patton, i meant pollard.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-24-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I haven't tried the colts yet. I'm playing Madden 05 because, for some reason, my 06 won't load so their playbook might work. BTW, Quincy's still our starting QB

What do you mean by going sideways on the two TE formation?

Last edited by dirno2000; 07-24-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #39
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I haven't tried the colts yet. I'm playing Madden 05 because, for some reason, my 06 won't load so their playbook might work. Quincy's still our starting QB

What do you mean by going sideways on the two TE formation?
I've been playing Madden 05 too, I just started a new franchise, I always do to get pumped for the upcoming season

I did a fantasy draft using the Niners, and my team is crazy good. I got Vick, Alexander, Steve Smith, Boldin, Shockey, Ed Reed, Peppers, Andre Carter....to name a few

So far I'm like 8-0

By going sideways on the two TE formation he means push the joystick to the right (or it might be left) to get more formations within the two TE one.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Use your joystick and go left as mentioned previously. Its how you get the variations on the formations. Not sure when they stopped using it. I need to go play some madden when i get home, i played ncaa 07 yesterday, the kicking is WEIRD. It was cool though because my best friend is now on that game. sadly because its ncaa no names are attached.