Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #41
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Use your joystick and go left as mentioned previously. Its how you get the variations on the formations. Not sure when they stopped using it. I need to go play some madden when i get home, i played ncaa 07 yesterday, the kicking is WEIRD. It was cool though because my best friend is now on that game. sadly because its ncaa no names are attached.
Kicking in video games always is weird to me, I always have trouble with field goals. How's the game as a whole though?

I can't wait for Madden 07 and NBA Live 07 to come out

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-24-2006 at 05:46 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #42
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I've been playing Madden 05 too, I just started a new franchise, I always do to get pumped for the upcoming season

I did a fantasy draft using the Niners, and my team is crazy good. I got Vick, Alexander, Steve Smith, Boldin, Shockey, Ed Reed, Peppers, Andre Carter....to name a few

So far I'm like 8-0

By going sideways on the two TE formation he means push the joystick to the right (or it might be left) to get more formations within the two TE one.
That's right. I always forget that you can go sideways to get variations on a formation.

Like you, I always pull out the current version of Madden to get my head right with football. I can't wait for 07'. I used to play with the Eagles (as sick as it made me) because TO is so dominant on that game. Looking forward to seeing him in Cowboy blue.

Last edited by dirno2000; 07-24-2006 at 06:14 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #43
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
That's right. I always forget that you can go sideways to get variations on a formation.

Like you, I always pull out the current version of Madden to get my head right with football. I can't wait for 07'. I used to play with the Eagles (as sick as it made me) because TO is so dominant on that game. Looking forward to seeing him in Cowboy blue.
Yeah, I used the Eagles for all my other franchises because of TO and McNabb, but used the Niners this time because I decided to do a fantasy draft. My fav team is the Niners, and I like TO a lot so I started liking the Eagles more when he went there. Now I like the Niners and Eagles still and I like the Panthers cuz of Steve Smith.

I just looked it up, 07 comes out in August.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #44
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The game as a whole is good though you cant stop anybody. Ive only played it a little so maybe you can im just not good enough at it yet. They completely redid the kicking. It is different than any football game ive played. You pull the right joystick down to start and then push it bask up. Its really not that hard its just weird. Plus on returns and kick blocks if you are playing by yourself, have a camera that is right behind you. It makes it hard to see the whole field on returns but it is cool looking. My friend likes it because since he plays for SMU he likes to play with them on games and in the last one no matter what, smu couldnt beat anyone good. Also, the receivers seem to catch alot better in this game. Oh yeah, dwyane jarret is a BEAST on this game. I dont think any of USCs skill players run slower than a 4.4 other than the qb. ALso, they added the spring drills like madden.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #45
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Cowboys are bringing in former Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy for a tryout. -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #46
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

The boys passed on Kennedy!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 08-02-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

They looked at him only as a favor. The offensive line is going to be fine. Pettiti is going to start 16 games at right tackle. Columbo is going to contribute. The depth and rotation are going to be stellar. Any concerns about the offensive line are way out of line.

Last edited by chumdawg; 08-02-2006 at 01:27 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #48
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you watched last year and don't expect a 180 from Pettiti in the off season then there damn sure is a concern about the line if he starts all 16 again. Yeah, I know we were OK with him in there last year while Flozell was playing and he is back, but who knows at what percentage. I think Fabini starts and Pettiti ends up starting by seasons end. I know if Pettiti wins the job I won't be too excited about the right side of our line, (though I hear Rivera is playing much better this offseason).

Pettiti was terrible last year, (and his ratings showed that), and I can't expect him to go from a average at best rookie to an all-pro overnight. He will be a liability no matter how you slice it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #49
GO DJ

GO DJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The game as a whole is good though you cant stop anybody. Ive only played it a little so maybe you can im just not good enough at it yet. They completely redid the kicking. It is different than any football game ive played. You pull the right joystick down to start and then push it bask up. Its really not that hard its just weird. Plus on returns and kick blocks if you are playing by yourself, have a camera that is right behind you. It makes it hard to see the whole field on returns but it is cool looking. My friend likes it because since he plays for SMU he likes to play with them on games and in the last one no matter what, smu couldnt beat anyone good. Also, the receivers seem to catch alot better in this game. Oh yeah, dwyane jarret is a BEAST on this game. I dont think any of USCs skill players run slower than a 4.4 other than the qb. ALso, they added the spring drills like madden.

Ya on Ncaa 07 defense is almost impsossible to get a stop, especially online if your not playing defense for the longball. Well I play online and have a record of 3-2, then the other day, somehow my disc got a scratch and now wont work. Im probaly going to send it in for the warranty but I dont know what theyll do. Has anyone done this before.

GO DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #50
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The offensive line is going to be fine. Pettiti is going to start 16 games at right tackle. Columbo is going to contribute. The depth and rotation are going to be stellar. Any concerns about the offensive line are way out of line.
This is about as rosey as rosey gets...

I really hope your right chum, I really, really do.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #51
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Well if you watched last year and don't expect a 180 from Pettiti in the off season then there damn sure is a concern about the line if he starts all 16 again. Yeah, I know we were OK with him in there last year while Flozell was playing and he is back, but who knows at what percentage. I think Fabini starts and Pettiti ends up starting by seasons end. I know if Pettiti wins the job I won't be too excited about the right side of our line, (though I hear Rivera is playing much better this offseason).

Pettiti was terrible last year, (and his ratings showed that), and I can't expect him to go from a average at best rookie to an all-pro overnight. He will be a liability no matter how you slice it.
The thing is, you can hide one tackle by chipping with a TE before releasing or rolling out or having a back stay in or any number of other things. You cant protect both. Thats why losing Flozell hurt so much. We went from one bad tackle to two bad tackles. No way to protect both. Also, in pass protection is where i think we are gonna really miss larry allen. THe fact of the matter is there isnt a single person in the nfl who could bull rush him and as a guard in close quarters, that is a huge advantage. For one, if someone can bull rush you, they dont actually have to beat you to cause havoc. They can just collapse the pocket. Allen was great at staying near the line. As for pettiti, i think he did as well as anyone could have hoped last year but there was a reason he was a 6th round pick. I think he can develop into a great backup but imo he isnt a starter on a great team. This OLine scares me alot. Outside of Adams if hes healthy, there isnt a single olineman that I am certain will even be average and thats terrible. Not to mention that we dont know how well adams has healed.

The one good thing is that TO not the two te sets should help the oline more than anything. Its much harder to call a blitz when the opposing team has someone who can go 80 if you dont get there and TO is that guy. There isnt anyone in the nfl that can cover him one on one and its hard to blitz without leaving receivers in one on one which means that the boys shouldnt see that many blitzes which is the hardest part of pass protection.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #52
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Great read. Bobby will be a terrific addition to Doomsday part deux.

Rookie was destined to begin career in Dallas
By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
STARLEGRAM STAFF WRITER

LANCASTER, Ohio -- Sitting in his office at Lancaster High School, Rob Carpenter has few remnants from his NFL playing career. There is a small photo of him with Earl Campbell and a couple of the other running backs from his days with the Houston Oilers.

But that's it.

And as far as the poster of him in his New York Giants uniform outside the school gymnasium with other distinguished Lancaster alumni, including former Ohio State quarterback Rex Kern, that was not his doing.

When Carpenter left the NFL, he left those days as an undersized, overachieving fullback behind him for the life of a father, husband, farmer and small-town high school football coach.

By all accounts, if it were left up to him, you would never know he played in the NFL. Of course, that became almost impossible once Bobby, the oldest of four sons, was selected 18th overall by the Cowboys in April's NFL Draft.

A Cowboys team coached by Bill Parcells, who also coached Rob Carpenter with the Giants. The faded memories of a time gone by rush back -- like how Parcells always knew how to push Rob Carpenter's buttons.

"That's one thing he did. He found out quick what made me tick," Rob Carpenter said. "He knew I wanted to come back to Ohio, raise my family, become a high school football coach and have some cows.

"Every time something didn't go right for me, he was like, 'That farm doesn't look too good. You aren't going to have any cows because you aren't going to be around very long.'"

Even though Rob Carpenter was one of Parcells' favorites because he moved the chains and kept the defense rested, he could do nothing right and never got in the last word -- until now.

"Bill always told me I should have been a linebacker -- that was another way he jabbed at me," Rob Carpenter said. "I would have a 100-yard game and go out there in practice and he would say, 'You are a good fullback, but you are out of position. You should have been a linebacker. Who was your coach in high school? Who made you a running back?' Just to shut him up, I told him, 'I will make my kids linebackers and maybe one day you will like them and they will get a chance to play for you.' That was kind of like our joke."

Dream coach, dream job

No one in the Carpenter household was laughing when Bill Parcells retired to go into broadcasting after the 1990 season -- especially 7-year old Bobby. Old enough to remember attending training camp practices with his dad, Bobby idolized Parcells. His poster hung on his wall.

And it was his dream even then to play for the man who had such a huge influence on his father's life and, by connection, his own.

"I still remember the day he got out with the Giants," Rob Carpenter said. "It looked like he was done from coaching. That was a bad week for Bobby. I never really put it all together, but I distinctly remember that. He took that personal because I think he really wanted to play for him."

Bobby Carpenter will tell you that being with the Cowboys is a dream come true. To play in the NFL and learn from Parcells is all he ever wanted.

"I was hoping he would hang around long enough," Bobby Carpenter said. "So this is real special to me. I am going to make the most of it."

"This is what he always wanted," said Bobby's mother, Susie. "He was always a good athlete. I had no idea he would be a first-round draft choice. But I definitely thought he had the capability of being something like that. He works hard and is goal-oriented. We like that he is with Bill Parcells. And he better take care of my Bobby."

Hard work and dedication

Despite his lofty draft status and newly signed $12 million contract, Bobby Carpenter will have to earn his place on the Cowboys. He is a third-team linebacker behind veterans Al Singleton and Rocky Boiman. He also has the humbling chore of fetching Bill Parcells water during practice. He would have it no other way.

"I never thought I was entitled to anything," Bobby Carpenter said. "I never take anything for granted. I want to make sure I work for everything I get."

It's always been that way. He wasn't given any handouts growing up on his family's 30-acre farm in a highly disciplined and highly competitive environment.

He had to earn his right to play football, starting with competitive swimming, soccer and even piano lessons before putting on a helmet for the first time in junior high. His former neighbors and coaches in Lancaster said he was always accountable -- and relentless.

"I remember him carrying tree logs to work out with," said Jack Greathouse, the former Lancaster basketball coach who has a farm behind the Carpenters'. "He is running with it up and down the hills in the back yard. This kid is a worker."

Bobby Carpenter, 23, worked hard because he didn't want anybody saying he was given anything because of who his parents were -- whether he was swimming for his mom, the club and high school coach in Lancaster, or playing football for his dad.

He and his brothers Jonathan (20), George (17) and Nathan (14) also learned to work hard because they had to. With no cable TV or satellite dish in the house -- at least not until April when DirecTV was installed for the NFL Draft -- finding something to do outside was a way of life in the Carpenter household.

Shooting pool and legendary mud fights at the creek were typical when the boys weren't working out or doing their chores, such as chopping wood and mowing yards.

"They never had cable TV," said Greg Stickel, another neighbor and assistant principal at Lancaster High School. "If one gets in your house they will be glued to the television because they never get a chance to see it. That is amazing in this day and age. It has forced the boys to be outside working. It has created a work ethic they all have, especially Bobby."

Of course it was no big deal to Bobby because his favorite kind of television since he started playing sports in the fourth grade was watching game tape to make himself -- and his teammates -- better.

"He would critique himself and his teammates, then he would watch his opponents," Rob Carpenter said. "This was all on his own. He educated himself. He knew everybody's position on every team he played on."

Said Matt McPhail, Bobby's former high school defensive coordinator: "He watched a lot of tape. Lord only knows how much tape he watched at home. He even came in Sundays to watch tape with the coaches. By the time Bobby was a senior, not only did he know his position, but he knew every other position."

"He knew why we were doing what we were doing. He knew philosophies behind the blitzes. He was demanding then. But he was a joy to coach."

Destiny calls

The Cowboys said they drafted Bobby Carpenter because he was the most ready of the players available. At 6-foot-2, 257 pounds, he had the size the Cowboys were seeking for their strongside outside linebacker position. He was also well-versed in the duties of the team's 3-4 defense from his days at Ohio State.

Bill Parcells, who saw Bobby grow via yearly Christmas cards from Susie, said the only connection the selection had to do with his prior relationship with Rob was that he knew he had been raised properly.

"I just knew that the kid would have been in a home that you're going to have to toe the line and do the right thing," Parcells said. "I just kind of knew that. That's all you need to know."

But what else would you expect from a player schooled in the Parcells' way? This is where he was supposed to be.

Dad never pushed him toward football, and it was never Rob's dream for Bobby to play for Parcells. But he respected his former coach for always doing the right thing and being a great influence on his life. How could he not pass those lessons down to his sons?

Add his wife's competitive fire, sharp tongue and gene pool -- Susie grew up with six brothers, the tallest of which stands 6-4, raised four boys and was the toughest woman he's ever known -- and Rob Carpenter said he knew long ago he was raising a mini-Parcells.

"The best story I can tell is we were playing our archrival in Bobby's senior year and we were down going into the fourth quarter," Rob Carpenter said. "Our players were sitting on the bench, dejected. Bobby, on his own, grabbed two water bottles. He walked up and down the sideline squirting water in everybody's face, saying, 'Get your head up and get back in the game. Somebody is going to make a play.' On the next series, Bobby intercepted a pass and ran it back for a touchdown."

"Bobby has always been that way," Rob said. "If you are not performing in the manner he knows you can, he will ride you. He is going to be on you. In a lot of ways, Bobby is like Bill."

Fittingly, just like Bill.

Rob doesn't know if Bobby playing for the Cowboys is destiny. But he always knew his son, who was born in Houston, would return to Texas one day. Whether it began as a joke or a dream, what's certain is that Bobby Carpenter has been groomed for this moment. The prodigal player has come home.

"I don't know if it was destiny, but I am sure glad it happened," Bobby said. "This is what I always wanted. And I believe everything happens for a reason."
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #53
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a guess on the O-Line:
Adams at LT with Fabini and McQuistan as backups. Fabini might not make final cut.
Kosier at LG -- probably our weakest position
Gurode at C -- Johnson backs him up this year till he gets more leg strength
Rivera at RG -- he seems to be back.
Columbo at RT -- Petitti backs him up.

Proctor, Peterman are in a battle, and either one or none may make it here.

Tackles seem to be OK, with descent backups.
Center seems ok, with Johnson or Gurode -- the other being a backup is OK.

Guards are questionable at best though.......
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #54
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, that is a great article. Jeez I'm pumped for this season!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Just a guess on the O-Line:
Adams at LT with Fabini and McQuistan as backups. Fabini might not make final cut.
Kosier at LG -- probably our weakest position
Gurode at C -- Johnson backs him up this year till he gets more leg strength
Rivera at RG -- he seems to be back.
Columbo at RT -- Petitti backs him up.

Proctor, Peterman are in a battle, and either one or none may make it here.

Tackles seem to be OK, with descent backups.
Center seems ok, with Johnson or Gurode -- the other being a backup is OK.

Guards are questionable at best though.......
Everything I've read from camp has listed Kosier as the most solid player on the OLine thusfar. And hasn't Fabini been working at Right Tackle exclusively?

You may be right about Columbo though. People are starting to talk about him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 08-03-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It looks like Columbo has all but locked up the starting RT spot. They started Pettiti at LT in the scrimmage yesterday, the assumption being that they want to get him some work there so he can backup both tackle positions.

Perhaps the biggest story of camp? Gregg Ellis. He's been working with the first unit at OLB opposite Ware all of camp, and by all accounts, is holding his own and starting to realy play the position well.

Man, if Ellis and Ware can be on the field at the same time at OLB, and Ellis at least have SOME ability to drop into coverage, this is going to be a fearsom, fearsom defense.

Not only that, but Burnett and Carpenter are getting rave reviews on the second unit. My goodness this defense could be filthy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #57
Five-ofan
Guru

I love greg ellis so i hope everything ends up well with him. I just dont see the cowboys being that great this year. The oline is just too bad.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #58
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I love greg ellis so i hope everything ends up well with him. I just dont see the cowboys being that great this year. The oline is just too bad.
I don't see the OLine being any worse than it was last year, and before Flozell went down it was certainly good enough to win with.

Honestly I think it's going to be better. Marc Columbo is apparantly securing the Right Tackle spot, people are saying Rivera is looking more like his old self, Gurode appears to be cutting down on his mental mistakes, and Kosier appears to be very solid, and especially good at pulling.

Now obviously these are all based on a week of camp, but I certainly don't see the line being worse than last year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #59
Five-ofan
Guru

If by not worse than last year, you mean before flozell got hurt i would disagree, but afterwards, the oline could challenge zona and San fran for the worst oline in the leauge. We have no guarantee about flozell and kosier needs to be the best because he is replacing the best olineman from a year ago so i doubt its much of an upgrade if any. Johnson has not panned out. The guy just isnt very good. Gurode may have the lowest football iq ever and Ill believe in rivera when i see it. As for columbo, i think he may just look good relative to how bad the cowboys have become accustomed to the rt being. I see the cowboys being a 9-7 or 10-6 team that loses in the first round. Even if they have a bette record, they arent gonna go to a superbowl like some think. The Colts have a great oline and look what a blitzing d did to them in the playoffs. You think that the cowboys oline can stand up to the seahawks D any better than the colts did to the steelers? I have class now so ill continue when i get back.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yes, as I said, I think they'll be at least as good was our line was last year before Flozell went down.

I completely disagree that Larry Allen was out best Olineman. Replacing him is a much easier job than you make it out to be. As to the other points, well, you could be right. But Rivera as a long career on his side, and if he's healed from teh back problem, I see no reason to doubt him.

We'll just have to wait and see on the others. Besides, 10-6 and making the playoffs is worth being exceited about, IMO.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #61
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
I love that greg ellis isn't a Kavika Pittman, Shante Carver or Ebenezer Ekuban - I.E. a total f'n bust.

Other than that, I'm not all that attatched mediocre DEs. Sure Greg is getting jerked around, but the cowboys are trying to improve their defense. Just shut up and make your presence felt on the field of play.

Play the hand you're delt.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #62
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
We'll just have to wait and see on the others. Besides, 10-6 and making the playoffs is worth being exceited about, IMO.
Sure, but if those 6 loses come like last year I'm gonna break my televison.

Washington, Denver, @ Seattle, @ Oakland

$@##*%! *&%*$&! Cowboys.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #63
Five-ofan
Guru

Oh trust me, im excited about this season its just slightly tempered. As for allen, he couldnt pull or block in space like he used to which is what made him special when he was younger. That said, he was money in pass protection because in the cramped quarters that a guard plays in a bull rush is always the best move against a guard and flat out no on in the nfl can move him. Most guys have to give up some ground at least. He didnt. That created a pocket for bledsoe to step up into if the tackles got beat. That is HUGE. Kosier even if he is good isnt built like that. Allen was also great in straight runs. Essentially if he touched you you were blocked. Adams before he got hurt was better than Larry allen but since he played half the year i would be curious who else you would argue was better than him last year? Pettiti and Rivera were both plain terrible so i dont see any way you mean them and neither of the centers is anything better than average on a generous day so i dont really see who you could possibly be arguing. Was Allen what he used to be? Obviously not but he was still an above average nfl lineman and as bad as the oline was last year he was easily the best of that bunch after adams went down.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #64
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You didn't say Allen was our best lineman for the whole year. I don't dispute that.

Flozell Adams is the anchor of our offensive line. He's a far superior player to Allen, at this point. And we didn't lose him. So we don't have to replace our best lineman.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 08-07-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #65
Five-ofan
Guru

The thing is, we dont know if we are getting that flozell back or a guy who cant move thanks to a knee surgery. You just dont know and for the whole year last year(which is what i said) allen was our best lineman. As to flozell, when he is healthy, he is a very good lineman. I think he is actually like damp a little bit in that everyone sees everything he does bad in the case of penalties for flozell and Foul trouble and no hands for damp while missing his strengths and the way that he frees up others to play better. That said i just dont know if he will be healthy and even if he is, not a single other offensive lineman is anything close to a sure thing to even be average. That wont get it done. Assuming flozell is healthy and stays that way, both tackles are set because you can chip to the other side. That leaves the 3 middle positions where i dont think we have an average nfl player in the bunch. Doesnt make me feel confident.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The thing is, we dont know if we are getting that flozell back or a guy who cant move thanks to a knee surgery. You just dont know and for the whole year last year(which is what i said) allen was our best lineman. As to flozell, when he is healthy, he is a very good lineman. I think he is actually like damp a little bit in that everyone sees everything he does bad in the case of penalties for flozell and Foul trouble and no hands for damp while missing his strengths and the way that he frees up others to play better. That said i just dont know if he will be healthy and even if he is, not a single other offensive lineman is anything close to a sure thing to even be average. That wont get it done. Assuming flozell is healthy and stays that way, both tackles are set because you can chip to the other side. That leaves the 3 middle positions where i dont think we have an average nfl player in the bunch. Doesnt make me feel confident.
I'd say Rivera was average last year, even with an awful tackle to his right. The problem was we paid him money to be a lot more than average. I would wager a lot of money that he's going to be back close to what he was the last couple years in Green Bay this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #67
Five-ofan
Guru

I would disagree thoroughly about rivera being average last year. he was one of the worst guards in the nfl. Probably the worst that kept his job.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #68
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Rivera was pretty hideous... There were some numbers supporting that statement over at blog.theboys.com. Terrible stuff for a starting guard on a playoffs-worthy team.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Rivera was pretty hideous... There were some numbers supporting that statement over at blog.theboys.com. Terrible stuff for a starting guard on a playoffs-worthy team.
I did a search through their posts and didn't find anything. I'd be curious to read the numbers. He never struck me as being that bad. Certainly not living up to the contract, but not horrible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #70
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I did a search through their posts and didn't find anything. I'd be curious to read the numbers. He never struck me as being that bad. Certainly not living up to the contract, but not horrible.
Here you go!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but it was definitely not Pro Bowl worthy either:

3. B.B. — Marco Rivera got a lot of grief for his 2005, being a big-ticket signing. Where did he fall in your ratings?

K.C. — His 82.4% success rate tied him for 22nd among guards, so that was a plus. He was in the lower 3rd of the league in YPA though, so it looks like a case where Rivera was able to get a block but the holes he created may not have been that big.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Here you go!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but it was definitely not Pro Bowl worthy either:

3. B.B. — Marco Rivera got a lot of grief for his 2005, being a big-ticket signing. Where did he fall in your ratings?

K.C. — His 82.4% success rate tied him for 22nd among guards, so that was a plus. He was in the lower 3rd of the league in YPA though, so it looks like a case where Rivera was able to get a block but the holes he created may not have been that big.
Ah, I was looking at the wrong one. I looked at bloggingtheboys, rather than theboysblog. Very confusing.

Well I'd say those two stats together make him average, at least from my logic it does.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #72
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Ah, I was looking at the wrong one. I looked at bloggingtheboys, rather than theboysblog. Very confusing.

Well I'd say those two stats together make him average, at least from my logic it does.
I agree, i didnt think he was average and i still have my doubts but since he has stats and I dont i will take his word for it. I was wrong, marco rivera was apparently average last year.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #73
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh...did you see who was in gear in Cowboys camp today? Freddie Mitchell the old Eagles discontent and friend of TO. What's next OJ in the backfield? Here's hoping that is just a walk on tryout and nothing comes of it.

Last edited by Drbio; 08-07-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #74
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Are Freddie and TO still friends?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #75
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Whats wrong with freddie Mitchell? he's a good player, barring any off-court murders.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #76
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently T.O. wasn't getting enough attention, so he's flying in medical equipment and a team of doctors from Atlanta, (according to the Ticket). What a douche

Freddie mitchell, really?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #77
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gregg Ellis. He's been working with the first unit at OLB opposite Ware all of camp, and by all accounts, is holding his own and starting to realy play the position well.
great news...anything new on this?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is anybody else getting stoked up about this game tonight? Man, I haven't looked this much forward to a preseason game in...like, ever. Can't wait to see Romo run the offense, my boy Tyson Thompson rip off a good hundred yards or so, the surprising undrafted free agent Sam Hurd probably corral a touchdown pass or two. I pity the Seahawks offensive players on this night, as our wrecking crew of a defense will run roughshod all over them.

Also looking forward to getting a good look at the big, ugly Pat McQuistan on the left side, and Colombo/Pettiti on the right. Also can't wait to see the big, rangy Pat Watkins at safety. Tonight is going to be a treat!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #79
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

lets kick some seahawk arse.... go romo.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #80
Five-ofan
Guru

Since we mentioned fantasy baseball in other threads i figured i would mention my fantasy football team. I had the 11th pick in a 12 team league

Qb-E. Manning, Mcnair
rb-Jordan, Droughns, Rhodes, White, Perry,
Te- Crumpler, Davis
WR-Fitzgerald, Rod Smith, Muhammad, engram
K-Scobee
D-Baltimore.

Overall im happy.