Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #121
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa...I thought I read it was seventh. My goodness!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #122
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

4th round pick it is.

Cowboys send LB Shanle to Saints
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Hoping to bolster their shaky linebacker corps, the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday acquired fourth-year veteran Scott Shanle from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a fourth-round choice in the 2007 draft.

Shanle, 26, appeared in 15 games for the Cowboys in 2005, starting seven contests at inside linebacker in the Dallas 3-4 alignment. He registered 50 tackles, 1½ sacks and two passes defensed. But he was rendered extraneous when the Cowboys added veteran Akin Ayodele in free agency this spring and chose Bobby Carpenter in the first round of the draft.

Those moves, plus the switch of longtime defensive end Greg Ellis to linebacker and the return of second-year veteran Kevin Burnett from 2005 knee surgery, provided the Cowboys one of the deepest units in the league. And while Shanle's name was not specifically cited, it has been rumored for the past week that the Cowboys might be willing to deal from their surplus at the linebacker position.

The Saints need help at linebacker, and it will not be surprising if Shanle challenges for a starting job by the start of the regular season. Even with a dramatically overhauled linebacker corps, the Saints have struggled to find defenders who can play "downhill" to the ball. It will be interesting to see where the New Orleans coaches use Shanle, who can probably play in the middle or on the strongside in the team's 4-3 front.

Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs was the Dallas linebackers coach the past three seasons and knows Shanle well.

New Orleans officials probably aren't done yet trying to address the shaky linebacker situation. It is believed the Saints are still seeking to add San Diego linebacker Donnie Edwards, who has fallen out of favor with the Chargers, in a trade. New Orleans reportedly offered a fourth-round pick for the 10-year veteran, but the Chargers are holding out for a first-day draft choice.

Shanle originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round choice of the St. Louis Rams in the 2003 draft. He played six game for the Rams as a rookie, was released, and claimed on waivers by Dallas in December of that year. In 2004, he was an important contributor to the Dallas special teams units and he became a starter in 2005 over the second half of the season.

The former Nebraska standout has 82 tackles, 1½ sacks and four passes defensed for his career. He has appeared in 36 games and started in 11 of them.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 08-23-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #123
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

This has the potential to almost be a late 3rd rounder as NO should not finish with a terrific record.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #124
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Oh geez... Please don't bring up the Shaun Alexander/Steve Hutchinson whiff, (the two Pro-Bowl starters Seattle drafted with those picks)... I think I just vomited a little in my mouth!
I think they drafted Alexander and Koren Robinson. Doesn't make the trade any better though.

Last edited by dirno2000; 08-23-2006 at 01:03 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #125
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I think they drafted Alexander and Koren Robinson. Doesn't make the trade any better though.
Nope!

Hutchinson is also a first-round draft pick by Seattle. He was drafted in 2001 with one of the two first-round picks the Seahawks obtained from Dallas in the Joey Galloway trade. The other first-rounder from the Cowboys was used to pick Alexander in 2000.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #126
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

What a steal of a trade. That's almost a lock to be a top five pick in the fourth round.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #127
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that article is correct. Either that or we traded them somebody else's 1st rounder and I don't remember that happening.

Hutchinson was the 17th pick in the 2001 draft. We only won 5 games in 2000 so why would our pick be so low? Robinson was chosen with the 9th pick in the draft. That's about where you'd expect a 5 win team to fall.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #128
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
What a steal of a trade. That's almost a lock to be a top five pick in the fourth round.
Nick Eatman, (works for the 'Boys - likely knows the situation better than ESPN), has reported it as a conditional 7th, as Chum indicated... Damn I hope he is wrong!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #129
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I don't think that article is correct. Either that or we traded them somebody else's 1st rounder and I don't remember that happening.

Hutchinson was the 17th pick in the 2001 draft. We only won 5 games in 2000 so why would our pick be so low? Robinson was chosen with the 9th pick in the draft. That's about where you'd expect a 5 win team to fall.
Right you are!

The 17th pick, (the Hutchinson selection), was obtained from Green Bay in a previous trade.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #130
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Nick Eatman, (works for the 'Boys - likely knows the situation better than ESPN), has reported it as a conditional 7th, as Chum indicated... Damn I hope he is wrong!
That would make a lot more sense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #131
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
That would make a lot more sense.
Of course it would... We got the guy off of friggin waivers last year! With that said, PLEASE BE WRONG NICK... PLEASE!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #132
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Read on the Zone that someone "said it was a 7th" unconditional.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #133
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hey Dan, where did you see that Eatman article. I looked on dc.com, and Mickey has an article, but all he said was "late pick, probably a 7th".

And the ESPN article was released later than that, and it was written by Pasquarelli.

I wonder if it might be a 4th.....

Maybe Mickey can give some light, he's on now with BaD.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #134
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Who to believe...(stolen from the zone)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558773
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Hoping to bolster their shaky linebacker corps, the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday acquired fourth-year veteran Scott Shanle from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a fourth-round choice in the 2007 draft.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/....29ccb086.html
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
On Wednesday, the Cowboys traded Shanle to New Orleans where he will be reunited with familiar faces in head coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs. The Cowboys receive a seventh-round draft pick in 2007.

Last edited by dalmations202; 08-23-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #135
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'd definitely go with Pasqarelli out of those two.

Of course maybe that's just hope talking....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #136
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Next rumor has the 4th and Henson to Oakland for Jerry Porter..........

that could be like normal NBA rumors --- just trash talk though.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #137
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Yeah, I saw that rumor on the ESPN boards Dalm...

Thiggy, I actually read that on the Boys Blog about Eatman!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #138
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere I read that the Saints had offered a fourth to San Diego for that Edwards guy (I think that's the name) but the Bolts were holding out for a first-day pick. Take that for what you will.

That Oakland rumor is verrrrrry interesting. It would seem to fit well with Bill's comment that the Henson thing had "a few moving parts."

Not sure what I think of Porter. Might be a good fit, though.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #139
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You mean Donnie Edwards? As in one of the best lbs in the nfl? The bolts darn sure better hold out for a first day pick. Draft picks have become insanely overvalued now.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #140
chumdawg
Guru

What do you think about Ashley Lelie netting a three? Yeah, it would seem that Shanle wouldn't be in that echelon.

But then again, the Saints are pretty desperate for linebacking.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #141
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The more I think about this and the value of a guy like Shanle, the more I know that this had to be a 7th rounder. This is a decent gritty LB, but why give a FOURTH ROUND DRAFT PICK for a guy that would be cut soon anyway, (or the equivalent from another team)? Just to get him into camp to learn the system??? That is worth a 4th???

Either the Cowboys played some MAJOR hard ball, Payton threw us a MAJOR bone, or the ESPN article is wrong.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #142
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Crap... It is a 7th guys...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #143
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Did you guys hear that Owens reinjured his hammy and might not play till the first regular season game?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #144
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The Cowboys just traded TE Sean Ryan for another 7th rounder!!!

Link!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #145
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why teams don't wait for them to be released. Maybe they are concerned another team will pick them up.... but to give up picks like that seems aloof to me. This isn't the NBA, where anything past round 2 is chicken feed.

edit: Not that I'm disappointed..... because I'm not.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 08-31-2006 at 01:22 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #146
chumdawg
Guru

The Boys are collecting 7th round picks like Sike collects Madonna records!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #147
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

As U2 mentioned, this isnt the nba. 7ths for guys you are gonna drop are great trades. You can never have 2 many draft picks. I have been "hating" on parcells recently so i will give him credit for these moves. These, not the huge signings are the types of deals that make great teams.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #148
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I don't understand why teams don't wait for them to be released. Maybe they are concerned another team will pick them up.... but to give up picks like that seems aloof to me. This isn't the NBA, where anything past round 2 is chicken feed.

edit: Not that I'm disappointed..... because I'm not.
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense but I sure as hell hope they keep doing it... Much better than just cutting the guy!