Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whoa Nelly! Its College Football Time Again.

[link http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2539278[/link]

So it appears that despite the fact that Ohio state lost 9 defensive starters on a predominantly defensive team, they are number 1. I think UT should be ranked number 1 just because they won the last title and they do return 16 starters and a guy who i think will be strongly in the heisman consideration in Charles. That said if I was picking a number 1 based purely on who I expect to win this year? West Virginia. They have an extremely easy schedule do to the horrible conference and that running game is amazing. I would almost guarantee you they will be in the national title game.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 08-04-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Good Pick. Im an UGA fan so I'm not so fond of West Virginia after they destroyed us in the Sugar Bowl, but they have an outstanding team, and more specifically running game. My best guess is that we see a West Virginia vs Notre Dame championship game after they both run the table this year. Oh, and my Heisman pick would be Brady Quinn.....he's gonna have a HUGE year for the Irish.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Right now imo the heisman favorites in order should be
1. Quinn
2.Troy smith-this man is just a beast. If not for his off the field junk i would rank him number 1.
3. Peterson(the bomar thing hurts but if he runs for over 2000 against 8 man fronts he should be in the thick of it.)
4. Charles- I was tempted to pick him over Peterson but his qbs arent exactly proven either. Behind an oline that should still be very good i will be utterly shocked if he doesnt rush for 1600 yards on a very good team setting himself up to win it the next year.
5. Slaton- That man is a beast.

Honorable mention- Leak, ginn(though i think he is overrated), Hart, Kyle wright

Im sure there are others but those are the guys who i would think it will come down too.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

My Heisman list...

1.) Brady Quinn
2.) Adrain Peterson
3.) Chris Leak
4.) Troy Smith
5.) Michael Bush

some semi-sleepers.... McFaddon, Jarrett, Tate, Brohm, Puzluzny, Samardjza..

My Ultimate homer sleeper pick would be Mohammed Massaquoi (WR-UGA). Our 2nd WR Sean Bailey went down with injury so he is our go to guy on offense now and he showed great flashes of excellence last year.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I don't see Charles having that kind of a year. He'll like face 8 and 9 in the box all year...and you'll see why Darren McFadden's year last year was so impressive. Until UT finds someone who can keep the defense honest, Charles will be under the scope.

Arkansas' had a rough week. McFadden damn near ripped his toe off in a fight and now is not looking good until the Alabama game MAYBE. Also, long time announcer and voice of the Razorbacks, Paul Eels, passed away early this week.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

MCfaddon would have been one of my semi sleepers if he hadnt gotten hurt. As for charles, he average around 7.5 yards a carry last year. He wont repeat that average but he will be a stud. Also for the comparison with Mcfaddon, UT has a MUCH better OLINE. Didnt samarjdza quit playing football? I know he was a first round baseball pick that has already signed so im pretty sure he is done. As for the 8 man fronts, i think snead will be good enough to keep people from ALWAYS doing that.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'll be really impressed if Charles averages over 6 a carry.

And the OLine thing is something that I don't care to argue. We're pretty much always a top rushing team. That's pretty much the ONLY thing Arkansas has been good at since 99. Is Arkansas' line more talented than UT's? Probably not. But you can't argue with the results.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Oh...and it's McFaddEn. Not McFaddon.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I like it as:
1. Brady Quinn - If Notre Dame is in the title hunt at the end, and he stays healthy, he will win the Heisman. In part because he plays for Notre Dame, but mostly because he is one hell of a quarterback.
2. Adrian Peterson - The best RB in the nation. Should put up huge numbers, and if he stays healthy he should be right there.
3. Marshawn Lynch - Either you guys forgot about him or you just dont know who he is. Well he is good, Heisman good. Plus, Cal will be a very good team this year.
4. Rudy Carpenter - He'll have to beat USC and/or Cal on the road, but like Jake Plummer in '96, if he leads Arizona State to a Pac-10 title he will have a seat at the ceremony. Like Quinn for Notre Dame, Rudy will put up impressive stats (around 4,000 yards and 35 TDs).
5. Steve Slaton - I agree with five-o, he is the best player on a team that might just end up in the Championship game.
Honorable Mention:
Jamaal Charles, Tyrell Sutton, Dwayne Jarrett, Kenny Irons, Ted Ginn, Troy Smith

I dont think Tate, Leak, Brohm, or Wright will put up Heisman cailber stats and will only be considered if their teams play extremely well which probably only Florida in that group is capable of doing. Troy Smith probably wont get it either becaue OSU was picked to finish #1, and thats not going to happen, they will lose at least 2 games like they did in 2005. I dont think Smith will put up monster stats either.

Last edited by mavs413; 08-21-2006 at 10:19 PM.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Oh...and it's McFadden.
Expanding on my fantasy question... Should I aim to pick up Jones now? In what round?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I'll be in Lubbock when the Big XII south is decided oct. 28.

and in Ft. Wizzle for the Raiders v. Frogs, and in Collie Station for the Raiders v. Aggy.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I can't wait til October, just to see if Notre Dame makes it out of September alive.
Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, I'm both excited, and expecting a let down at some point. BUT if they make it out of that, then they be #1 in October.

And Quinn will be the frontrunner for Heisman.
But I see Peterson winning it. I think Notre Dame will drop at least one game, and if Oklahoma makes it past Oregon and Texas, then AP will get the heisman
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Expanding on my fantasy question... Should I aim to pick up Jones now? In what round?
I really don't know much about fantasy football and how all that works. I will say that Felix is a great special teams player. He also averaged 6.3 ypc last season for 600 some odd yards. Basically, McFadden had what seemed like more 60/70 yard runs. Felix had a lot more 10-20 yard runs. Jones was also great on screens. Under the new OC he just might see even MORE work in that area.

I think Jones was going to get a good amount of carries no matter what. Now that McFadden's out for a while, I can see his numbers being inflated a little bit. BUT, as soon as McFadden comes back his production will fall.

SO - I wouldn't choose him as my primary RB. If there's some sort of "utility player" you can draft, he'd be the guy.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Go Cornhuskers. Get ready for the upset special : NU > USC.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I'll be really impressed if Charles averages over 6 a carry.

And the OLine thing is something that I don't care to argue. We're pretty much always a top rushing team. That's pretty much the ONLY thing Arkansas has been good at since 99. Is Arkansas' line more talented than UT's? Probably not. But you can't argue with the results.
I didnt mean to imply that Arkansas had a bad oline. As a matter of fact they have a very good oline. I just dont feel that they are the same as UT. Ut has a top 5 oline in the nation pretty much every year. Arkansas has a top 30 or so Oline. Still a very good oline but on a different tier.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW, I am extremely sad. I am about ready to change my pick for the national title right now. Jason Whitlock picked WVA too and i hate that guy. Plus he is a moron though i completely agree with his reasoning on this one. I am saddened to have agreed with that moron though to tell you the truth he agreed with me.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Rumors out of Fayetteville are that McFadden will play Saturday.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Rumors out of Fayetteville are that McFadden will play Saturday.
Yeah i heard that. he was at practice in full pads the other day. Question is, is he trying to just be an emotional lift or can he be himself. Honestly if he can be himself they have a shot at that game. A monster running game always gives you a shot though i dont think they can stop SC.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

USC is replacing their entire offense. Sure, they are immensely talented, but they have never been starters. If Booty plays well, they'll win. If he struggles, I think Arkansas has a shot.

The bigger problem, IMO, is whether Arkansas will be able to score. Robert Johnson was named starter. He's got all the talent in the world, but happy feet. And he tends to look short and NEVER long. Looks like Nutt decided to play the QB who "won't get you beat" rather than the one who will actually propel you to a win (Mustain). Arkansas running game is second to none's, but there's only so much you can do against a stacked box. Johnson will HAVE to prove he can throw.

And having McFadden back is great, but Felix Jones is only slightly less effective. If McFadden plays, I see him spending at least a few plays lined up out wide.

One thing I can guarantee you is this...that Arkansas crowd is going to be very, very good Saturday. We have a tendency of being a little more social and not as much into the game in Fayetteville. Not this one, though. This will be like texas in 03. So many people have renewed hope with the coaching changes, new offense, and coming off of a somewhat turnaround towards the end of last year that people are actually optimistic. Throw in the fact that USC raped us last year and people want revenge. 75-76,000 drunk hillbillies might be enough to make a difference...especially given USC's youth. Now if I could only find some tickets for less than $150 a pop!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
capitalcity
Diamond Member

I really wanna see Arky top the condoms. However, I'll be super pissed if McFadden is getting more carries than my boy Felix.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Oh yeah. Pig Sooey and all that jazz.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
I really wanna see Arky top the condoms. However, I'll be super pissed if McFadden is getting more carries than my boy Felix.
Me too -- and not for fantasy football reasons. I would much rather Darren go ahead and just not play. This game really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We're not going to compete for a BCS game. Save your best player until SEC play starts. I just have all these memories of guys like Madre Hill, Chris Chukuma, and Cedric Cobbs. All outstanding backs whose careers were never the same after injuries. DMac needs to be 110% just to be safe.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Colt McCoy looked pretty good today. Somewhat uninspired by Charles, though. Figured he would have dropped at least a 100 on UNT.

On the flip side...Ohio State. Wow.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Young and Charles are going to get more attention than they're used to this year.

When Vince would run that zone read, teams had to focus on him because he could pull the ball down and go y ards on any given play. Based on what I saw today, it's not really a read anymore...the back is getting the ball every time.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #25
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

That's precisely why I think Charles' numbers were skewed last season. There's no doubt he's good. I just wouldn't put him on a Heisman watch list until he does something minus Vince.

Colorado. OUCH.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Skull fricked again. Tomorrow's headline: Houston Nutt given three year contract extension.

What it must be like to be a fan of a team that is actually good. Must be nice.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 PM   #27
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Skull fricked again. Tomorrow's headline: Houston Nutt given three year contract extension.

What it must be like to be a fan of a team that is actually good. Must be nice.
Dude at least Mustain made it in the game... even if it was mop-up duty.

I can't believe Jones put in on the ground. Twice. Deep in Arky territory. Monk looked like shit too.

F the condoms.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #28
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Mustain looked okay. Still threw a pick into triple coverage. McFadden shouldn't have even played. Felix sucked ass. Monk looked like he's never seen a football before. One of our starting safeties got juked out of his jock by a 260 pound fullback.

I could go on. There's no bright side. I love everything about Arkansas...except that the fans don't demand excellence. Oh well...we'll probably play in the music city bowl and everyone will rejoice.

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 09-03-2006 at 12:15 AM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #29
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh well...we'll probably play in the music city bowl and everyone will rejoice.
Funny that you mention it. Playing a season with Clemson, I just matched up with Arky in the music city bowl.

I stomped a mudhole in their ass. But then again I stomped a mudhole in everybody's ass except VT and Miami.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Colt McCoy looked pretty good today. Somewhat uninspired by Charles, though. Figured he would have dropped at least a 100 on UNT.

On the flip side...Ohio State. Wow.
UT will beat ohio state. Nothing i saw from ohio state impressed me at all. I know wolf is good but if he can get 280 yards of offense behind that oline texas will be fine. Also, ginn still cant run a route. Yes he can beat them northern illinois with pure speed but he cant just outrun everyone on UT.

Come to think of it I was stupid to mention charles as a heisman candidate. Not because he isnt good enough but because brown loves selvin young even though he isnt nearly as good as charles.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #31
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

On the flip side, as bad as OSU's defense looked, do you think they are better than UNT on that side of the ball?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
On the flip side, as bad as OSU's defense looked, do you think they are better than UNT on that side of the ball?
Yes they are easily better than NT but its not like texas will have to put up 56 to beat OSU.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #33
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

What, last year it only took 20 something...with Vince.

Defense is much easier to replace than offense. It remains to be seen if Colt McCoy can come through against similar athletes. If he does, more power to him.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
What, last year it only took 20 something...with Vince.

Defense is much easier to replace than offense. It remains to be seen if Colt McCoy can come through against similar athletes. If he does, more power to him.
Thats the problem though, Vince was going against a vastly superior Defense AND Vince didnt play defense.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

So OSU's defense is worse and UT's offense is worse. I have always thought it was easier for a defense to get up to speed than an offense.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #36
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

OSU lost a lot more on defense than UT.

I believe they lost 9 starters and 3 of them were top 20 picks.

I don't know that UT's defense is worse when you consider the improvement of the returning players. It may be but it could easily be better.

Of course if Brown is suspended for an extended period of time, UT would be really thin at the corner.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #37
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I didn't say UT's defense was worse...their offense is.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
So OSU's defense is worse and UT's offense is worse. I have always thought it was easier for a defense to get up to speed than an offense.
and its not close. UT is replacing 1 amazing player and apparently a good but not great olineman and a decent TE. OU is replacing the entire best linebacking group in the country a super safety and a great corner as well as most of the Dline. Vince was a beast. My fandom of vince is fairly obvious if you have read my posts in the past which i know you have ocelot. That said as far as going against OSU, he wasnt great against them. He threw 2 picks and after the first quarter didnt rush worth a crap. He was still good but its not like UT is even asking colt to match his production. The difference between the two is UT wanted vince to win games and they want colt to not lose them. Colt looks good enough to not lose them.