Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skip Bayless Article on Troy Aikman

[Link http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...bayless/060807[/link]

My biggest beef with the article is this statement
"And for the next four seasons, Aikman would be protected by the biggest, baddest offensive line in NFL history."
Yes it was a good Offensive line but i find it hilarious that an offensive line who wont have a single Hall of Famer is always called the greatest oline ever when downgrading Emmit and now troy. This has bothered me for a while largely because whenever people mention emmitt in the best rb ever debate they always dismiss him because of that great oline he played behind. Thats fine, if you want to dismiss him as such then the 90s cowboys need to have at least 3 and really 4 hall of famers from the Oline.(4 if you include Allen) Yes i know some of yall are saying but Larry Allen is a no doubt Hall of Famer so where are you getting this no Hall of famer stuff. Larry Allen wasnt drafted until 95. So for the bulk of the time the cowboys were great allen wasnt on the team. The supposed greatest Oline of all time was Williams, Tuinea, Newton, Stepnowski, and i forgot the other guard(was gogan still here?). So Im sure at least 3 of those guys are going to the hall right? Nope not a single one has a shot at it. This is why i laugh.

The mavericks now go through the same thing. When its time for MVP voting, Dirk plays on a loaded team with several all star caliber playersthat prevents him from being MVP worthy. When its time for all star voting though? No other mavs ever get mentioned.(they shouldnt btw)

So i guess in conclusion my point would be should we expect Bayless to start a campaign to get 3 of the afformentioned lineman into the hall considering it was the greatest oline ever?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 08-09-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Skip Bayliss sucks balls. His chubby for the Cowboys has gotten in the way for common sense since the Cowboys so rightfully shitcanned him. He's all about sour grapes and his sour grapes make some really bad whine.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

This has very little to do with skip bayless. Can anyone honestly tell me they havent heard this argument used against emmitt and now troy? The fact remains that if you are gonna degrade the skill players that played behind the line because of the Olines greatness(that oline was very good) then you need to elevate the individuals on the Oline and let at least 2 of them into the Hall of Fame.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

[skip] P.S. He also likes cock. [/skip]

Really good journalists get fired from their newspaper and their radio gig on the same day. Moron.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

I guess i should have just made this its own thread without mentioning bayless. I only mentioned him because it was his article that made me remember this.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Not to hijack the thread, but did anybod see Jason Whitlock denegrate Rayfield on the rome tv show.

He sucks too.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

I hate Jason whitlock more than any sportswriter in the world. I have no clue what he said about Wright but that man just bothers me. He is an utter moron with such an air of superiority that makes some think he has a clue what he talks about. Im relatively certain that my 2 year old cousin knows more about football than he does. His weird vendetta against culpepper is strange to.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 08-09-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Redskins don't have any o-linemen in the Hall.

If you want to look at teams that had Hall of Famers playing together on the line, look at Oakland from the 70's, first and foremost. If I am not mistaken, Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto, Boomer Brown and Ron Mix were all on the roster in 1971.

Ron Mix played for a couple years alongside Gene Litte in San Diego, too.

Miami had Larry Little and Jim Langer together in the 70's.

Forrest Gregg and Jim Ringo played together for a few years in Green Bay.

Lou Groza and Frank Gatski spent their careers together in Cleveland, and for a time Mike McCormack played with them.

But that's it for Hall of Famers playing together (at least for any significant period of time). They just don't put a whole lot of offensive linemen in the Hall. I'd say that Skip's comment could very well be true and you still might not have Hall of Famers to show for it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

The Oline is more about continuity than any position on the field but if you are gonna say its the best oline ever and you put ANY olinemen in the hall than that Oline has to have at least 3 in. The reason the cowboys wont get many olinemen is is that its the easiest position to screw someone at. There arent really any olineman stats to put up besides the overall offensive stats.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, O-line play is about continuity and teamwork. But the Hall of Fame is about an individual's body of work. A guy has to be really, really good for a really, really long time to make it in. I think the two most recent players in the Hall are Anthony Munoz and Jackie Slater. You would have a hard time saying any of those Cowboys linemen from the 90's had a more impressive resume than Munoz or Slater. And you sure as heck wouldn't find three of them.

Just because they were great for a while (and they were definitely great for a while) doesn't necessarily mean that any individual player in that unit performed at a high enough level, for long enough, to make it to the Hall.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I hate Jason whitlock more than any sportswriter in the world. I have no clue what he said about Wright but that man just bothers me. He is an utter moron with such an air of superiority that makes some think he has a clue what he talks about. Im relatively certain that my 2 year old cousin knows more about football than he does. His weird vendetta against culpepper is strange to.
Wait a minute. this isn't about Whitlock. It's about the argument.

Bayliss sucks ass.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Yes, O-line play is about continuity and teamwork. But the Hall of Fame is about an individual's body of work. A guy has to be really, really good for a really, really long time to make it in. I think the two most recent players in the Hall are Anthony Munoz and Jackie Slater. You would have a hard time saying any of those Cowboys linemen from the 90's had a more impressive resume than Munoz or Slater. And you sure as heck wouldn't find three of them.

Just because they were great for a while (and they were definitely great for a while) doesn't necessarily mean that any individual player in that unit performed at a high enough level, for long enough, to make it to the Hall.
Then quit calling it the greatest oline ever. As for the individuals, no none of them were as good as munoz even Larry allen. Munoz is pretty universally regarded as the best olineman of all time.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Not to hijack the thread, but did anybod see Jason Whitlock denegrate Rayfield on the rome tv show.

He sucks too.
I saw it...you could tell he was coming from a place of ignorance...he had never seen Rayfield play...so he couldn't have been that good. sheesh!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #14
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity

He sucks too.

Oh my god, you saw that too? HE said something like " he's definatley not a Hall Of Famer"

Ass.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

To which Ray definitely says SCOREBOARD dumbass.

This guy seems to be so stupid that websites are dedicated to honor his stupidity.

http://airjudden.tripod.com/hotel/whitlock.htm
Quote:
Jason "Dim-Whitlock" flaunts his ignorance regularly in the Kansas City Star. For those who read his idiotic ramblings regularly (I haven't for about 3 years), they have grown accustomed to his lack of intellect, which causes much lament amongst trees that do not want to die in order to spread Whitlock's gibberish.

For those of you who are not familiar with Whitlock, he's in love with himself, and fancies himself the most intelligent football mind in history. For instance, in 1996, he wrote piece after piece declaring that the Kansas City Chiefs should acquire Whitlock's high school buddy Jeff George. Yes, that Jeff George--same losing quarterback who has never fulfilled expectations since being the top pick in the 1990 NFL draft. The Chiefs didn't listen to Whitlock, and went on the next seasons to post the best record in the AFC. Of course, Whitlock probably thinks that if the Chiefs had listened to him, they would have defeated the Broncos in playoffs. After all, those Broncos were so easy to beat that they only won two Super Bowls! But hey, nothing like personal bias to influence your stories, eh Jason? (As we shall soon see)...

Whitlock's legendary stupidity became known nationally when he displayed his professionalism at a New England Patriots-Chiefs game in October of 1998. Read on...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Emmitt says SCOREBOARD too knucklehead.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Bayliss sucks. He's horrible.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote