Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #41
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Romo all the way. Good stuff. Isn't life just a little better now that football season is here?
As good as it can be without basketball. Romo is the Cowboys backup right, cuz isn't Bledsoe still the starter?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #42
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
But don't you think Barber was really good in the red zone last year?

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The RB situation will be fine. The important question is: what do you think about Tony freakin' Romo!!?!?!
Maybe he was and I don't remember. It just seems to me that he doesn't do anything really well. Not bad for a back up but I don't want to see him in there for an extended period of time. I'm hoping that Julius becomes what we thought he would be at this time last year.

Romo was really solid. He's a master of that fade route isn't he? Eventually teams will start sitting on that and he'll have an opportunity to burn some cb's on a double move.

My only dissappointment wass the play calling in the 2nd half. We were only up by 10 so it wasn't like we were in danger of running up the score. it almost seemed like they wanted to protect Romo's confidence by not giving him a chance to make a mistake after that first half.

I said this earlier but I love our defense. Even when we put in the "scrubs" there's quality on the field.

On an unrelated note, Akin Adel's (sp) arms are huge.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's Akin Ayodele, brutha. He of the great city of Irving.

Barber was good in the red zone last year. He was a touchdown machine. Barber is more than a "backup." He'll be the third-down back, for one thing. He'll catch passes from the backfield. His production will likely match or exceed that of Jones.

Glymph is trying to make himself hard to cut. Shanle and/or Fowler may be in trouble.

Our defense is balls-on, baby!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

You think his production will meet or exceed that of a healthy Julius? I'd have to disagree. I know Parcells really likes the kid and plans to make him the 3rd down back but if Julius plays like he did his rookie year and in the Carolina game last year, it'll be hard to get him off the field.

His ability to run in space is so far ahead of Barber's it's not even funny. A perfect example was on Romo's 2nd drive. He dumped the ball off to Julius for what should have been a 2 or 3 yard gain but Julius makes somebody miss and gets Romo a first down and some breathing room. I don't think Barber makes that play.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #45
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I liked what I saw from some of the question marks I had for this team. Greg Ellis as linebacker? Ellis made several nice plays, and I didn't see him give up anything huge. Wide Receiver Depth? Crayton had some great plays tonight and looked like he was going to be just fine as our third receiver. Even some of the other receivers seemed to be making plays when needed. Back-up Quarterback? Romo looked great out there. Maybe Bill is right, maybe he is going to be a solid backup. Several of those passes looked like they were on a rope, and it's always encouraging to see a QB engineer an 89 yard drive by going 7 for 7. And even though the stats don't really show it, I thought Julius Jones was alright tonight. He looked a little quicker tonight than I remember him last year. But his stats don't look so great so maybe I was just seeing things there...

I can't get overly excited about a preseason game, but I liked what I saw tonight. I'm glad football is back.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:05 AM   #46
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I love the look ellis gives as a stand up guy. Ellis is one of my all time favorite cowboys and I think he can be a success anywhere near the line.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 AM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
You think his production will meet or exceed that of a healthy Julius? I'd have to disagree. I know Parcells really likes the kid and plans to make him the 3rd down back but if Julius plays like he did his rookie year and in the Carolina game last year, it'll be hard to get him off the field.

His ability to run in space is so far ahead of Barber's it's not even funny. A perfect example was on Romo's 2nd drive. He dumped the ball off to Julius for what should have been a 2 or 3 yard gain but Julius makes somebody miss and gets Romo a first down and some breathing room. I don't think Barber makes that play.
Well, he will score more touchdowns than Jones will. That's what I was talking about in terms of production.

It's a solid one-two punch, that's for sure.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #48
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
It's so great to have football starting up again. I'm still really anticipating the next Mavs season, but this makes the time go by quicker. The goal for my Niners will be to not have the worst record in all of football, and they did look good in their first preseason game, so maybe they'll have a decent year. The 'Boys look strong, but I think it's between the Panthers and Seahawks in the NFC.

if the seahawks look anything like they looked tonight.....
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #49
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
if the seahawks look anything like they looked tonight.....
It's just the first preseason game. No cause for alarm yet. They have pretty much the same team as last year's, except with some upgrades (Julian Peterson comes to mind).

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-13-2006, 02:17 AM   #50
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

hey we still havent seen what owens will bring to us so there's still that.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 AM   #51
dirno2000
Diamond Member

"They have pretty much the same team as last year's, except with some upgrades (Julian Peterson comes to mind)."

They also lost the best guard in football. That can't help.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #52
chumdawg
Guru

The Seahawks were without several starters tonight.

But still, all it did was save their starters the embarrassment of being defeated wholly and truly by our frontline guys.

Plus, that neon green stripe on their unis is gay as the ace of spades.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #53
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with Dirno on Barber. I'm just not a fan. The guy is the epitome of average if you ask me. More than anything I want to see JJ grab the starting role this year and make it definitively his.

And mark me down as excited about Ellis at OLB. He looked just fine, and will only get better in coverage and space, and the play he got his sack on showed just how devastating that alignment will be, as a hold was the only thing keeping Ware from getting a piece of that sack as well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #54
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Any word on Crayton? He had a high ankle sprain and had to leave the game in a boot and with crutches...

Man I hope he is OK as the only position other than DT that we are razor thin at is WR.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #55
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

what's the word on Ware? is he injured?
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
what's the word on Ware? is he injured?
Why do you ask? I didn't see anything happen to him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #57
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I like the seahawks, that was just sad
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing on this game that prevents me from getting too excited is that romo is the anti bledsoe. He doesnt have the physical tools or size bledsoe does but he gets the ball out in a hurry. Bledsoe on the other hand is huge and has a cannon but he takes forever to get rid of the ball.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #59
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
"They have pretty much the same team as last year's, except with some upgrades (Julian Peterson comes to mind)."

They also lost the best guard in football. That can't help.
That's true, I forgot about that. They're are still going to be one of the top teams in the NFC.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

No ligament damage for Crayton. Will miss the next preseason game, and go from there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #61
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I just heard on ESPN radio that the Cowboys are talking to Denver about disgruntled WR Ashlie Lelie. That kid can play but do we really need another head case WR?

Last edited by Drbio; 08-15-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #62
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I just heard on ESPN radio that the Cowboys are talking to Denver about disgruntled WR Ashlie Lelie. That kid can play but do we really need another head case WR?
Our #1, #2, and #3 WRs are injury prone and riding bikes right now, (though Owens is likely going to be fine). Yes!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #63
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

How many teams would have better WR/TE units than us if we get Lelie and keep Crayton?

1:TO
2:Glenn/Lelie
3:Lelie/Glenn
4:Crayton

5:Witten
6:Fasano
7:Hannam/Polite

Last edited by Male30Dan; 08-15-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #64
Drbio
Banned

Denver wants a second round choice and the Cowboys reportedly offered a third. Lelie is demanding a contract extension with a hefty raise in addition.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #65
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Yeah, Lelie's raise requests scare me, as does that 2nd round requirement. I think I pass if it requires a #2. He might be worth it, but he also might prove to be a bit of a luxury if everyone can get healthy, (and again, TO should be fine and currently Glenn is out with only blisters - again).

A third is also almost more than I would want to give with his personality, (though I am being greedy here as he was the 19th overall pick in the first round), but he is still young and can definitely be very productive for us. We are really old at this position so it would be pretty good to get a younger guy that can thrive here if TO/Glenn goes down, (which Glenn is almost definitely going to do).
Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I would give a 3rd. I might even give a 2nd. Our receivers are very old, and Lelie has a lot of promise. He might be a luxury this year, but how much longer can you really expect Glenn to play?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #67
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, while we're on the Cowboys, I am sick and tired of the crazy "QB controversey" the media, specifically 103.3, is trying to stir up around here.

Check out Galloway's column today: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15277155.htm

Man, I don't buy this for a SECOND. I mean come on. Does anyone really think Parcells has given a second's thought to giving Romo the starting job?

Now, if Bledsoe struggles in the regular season? Maybe. But I will eat my shoe if Parcells gives Romo the job straight out of camp. What a drummed up non-story.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #68
Drbio
Banned

Galloway is drunken fool.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #69
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
BTW, while we're on the Cowboys, I am sick and tired of the crazy "QB controversey" the media, specifically 103.3, is trying to stir up around here.

Check out Galloway's column today: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15277155.htm

Man, I don't buy this for a SECOND. I mean come on. Does anyone really think Parcells has given a second's thought to giving Romo the starting job?

Now, if Bledsoe struggles in the regular season? Maybe. But I will eat my shoe if Parcells gives Romo the job straight out of camp. What a drummed up non-story.
I want there to be a controversy. How nice it is to have a young QB good enough to create whispers about knocking a HOF QB out of the #1 spot on the depth chart!!!

I am definitely rooting for Romo and I hope he has 3 more terrific preseason games and I hope it is BECAUSE he is the real deal and ultimately the future answer at QB for the next 5-8 years. While we both know Bill isn't taking Drew out for Tony, (and SHOULD NOT at this point), the controversy is nothing but good news that is due to a quality arm being in the #2 spot.

Romo shows moxie, confidence, and tight perfect spirals more times than not. Be happy this is happening, even though there truly isn't any hope for him starting out of the gate. Nothing but good reviews for this kid all camp long and a great preseason game to boot. Be happy jthig... Be happy!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #70
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I would give a 3rd. I might even give a 2nd. Our receivers are very old, and Lelie has a lot of promise. He might be a luxury this year, but how much longer can you really expect Glenn to play?
Yeah, like I said, I would hate to part with the 3rd but it would be foolish not to when you consider his age, abilities, and previous draft position. A 2nd to me is just too much but hey, again, he might be worth it. Is this getting any serious play around the area, or was it a random rumor flying about? I haven't been listening to the live feed.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I want there to be a controversy. How nice it is to have a young QB good enough to create whispers about knocking a HOF QB out of the #1 spot on the depth chart!!!

I am definitely rooting for Romo and I hope he has 3 more terrific preseason games and I hope it is BECAUSE he is the real deal and ultimately the future answer at QB for the next 5-8 years. While we both know Bill isn't taking Drew out for Tony, (and SHOULD NOT at this point), the controversy is nothing but good news that is due to a quality arm being in the #2 spot.

Romo shows moxie, confidence, and tight perfect spirals more times than not. Be happy this is happening, even though there truly isn't any hope for him starting out of the gate. Nothing but good reviews for this kid all camp long and a great preseason game to boot. Be happy jthig... Be happy!
Well, I certainly am happy. I hope he's our starting quarterback soon, maybe even next year, depending on what happens this year.

But I just get so tired of the media trying to drum crap like this up. There is ZERO chance that Bledsoe will lose his job in training camp, and Galloway wants to make it seem like a story that he didn't play in the first preseason game! Ugg.

On the Lelie thing, I haven't heard anything, I was just going off of what Doc said. I hadn't seen that reported anywhere.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #72
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, I certainly am happy. I hope he's our starting quarterback soon, maybe even next year, depending on what happens this year.

But I just get so tired of the media trying to drum crap like this up. There is ZERO chance that Bledsoe will lose his job in training camp, and Galloway wants to make it seem like a story that he didn't play in the first preseason game! Ugg.

On the Lelie thing, I haven't heard anything, I was just going off of what Doc said. I hadn't seen that reported anywhere.
Well sure Bledsoe isn't losing his starting spot out of friggin training crap. Suggesting that is just retarted on Galloway's part. The only way Drew isn't starting week 1 of the regular season is if he gets injured, and I don't see that happening with limited reps in preseason. Romo should truly get the chance to start next year if Drew can't lead us to the promised land this year. Even if he does, it should be up for grabs with the the better man winning... Always play your best guys, no matter the egos that might be hurt.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #73
Drbio
Banned

I heard the Lelie rumor on the ESPN drive in show at about 7:45 this morning. That's all I know. They said that Shanahan was pissed at Lelie and was trying to trade him especially since they picked up the guy from Green Bay (sorry my mind went blank) but that Shanahan was insisting on a second rounder.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #74
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I heard the Lelie rumor on the ESPN drive in show at about 7:45 this morning. That's all I know. They said that Shanahan was pissed at Lelie and was trying to trade him especially since they picked up the guy from Green Bay (sorry my mind went blank) but that Shanahan was insisting on a second rounder.
Yeah, it's been widely reported that they're shopping him. They picked up Javon Walker, so now Lelie is the 3rd receiver, which makes him unhappy. Which raises the question of why the Cowboys would be interested.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #75
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I would prolly give up a 2nd rounder for Lelie. He's still young, and has tons of talent.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #76
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Well sure Bledsoe isn't losing his starting spot out of friggin training crap. Suggesting that is just retarted on Galloway's part. The only way Drew isn't starting week 1 of the regular season is if he gets injured, and I don't see that happening with limited reps in preseason. Romo should truly get the chance to start next year if Drew can't lead us to the promised land this year. Even if he does, it should be up for grabs with the the better man winning... Always play your best guys, no matter the egos that might be hurt.
Dan, i like you man but if tony romo is ever anything more than your 2nd qb you can go ahead and start at 6-10 if you are lucky and work your way down. He is not good enough to start. He is the white anthony wright.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Dan, i like you man but if tony romo is ever anything more than your 2nd qb you can go ahead and start at 6-10 if you are lucky and work your way down. He is not good enough to start. He is the white anthony wright.
How on earth can you make this determination just from seeing play in preseason? That strikes me as a ridiculous statement.

No one on this board has enough data to say definitely how good Tony Romo can be. There just isn't enough information to go on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #78
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gotta agree with my boy thiggy... Likewise, I like you, but that is one crazy ass stretch of an opinion. You have NO CLUE how good he may end up... Obviously! If Parcells is talking about him as starting QB talent, I think I will trust him before I do you - No Offense, but I don't see a superbowl ring on your finger, let alone several!

The kid can play and you will one day see that if he is ever given a chance.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #79
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
How on earth can you make this determination just from seeing play in preseason? That strikes me as a ridiculous statement.

No one on this board has enough data to say definitely how good Tony Romo can be. There just isn't enough information to go on.
The fact that there isnt enough information generally leads me to believe that i am right. Exactly what leads you to believe that he could possibly be any good? Blind faith in parcells. Thats it. If Chan gailey were coaching and he said romo might be good would you still have as much faith in him? Gailey was every bit as successful as the cowboys coach as Parcells has been.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #80
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The fact that there isnt enough information generally leads me to believe that i am right. Exactly what leads you to believe that he could possibly be any good? Blind faith in parcells. Thats it. If Chan gailey were coaching and he said romo might be good would you still have as much faith in him? Gailey was every bit as successful as the cowboys coach as Parcells has been.
Well, yes, I am more inclined to give Bill Parcells the benefit of the doubt over Chan Gailey. Records aside, I seriously doubt you'd find anyone in footbal that would not take Parcell's talent evaluation skills over Gailey's.

But beyond that, why do you just assume he sucks simply because he hasn't played? People made the same assumptions about Dellhome and Hasselback. You never know until a QB is given a chance.

If you want to say you have doubts, fine. But to say he sucks, hands down, and to even compare him to another QB, without almost zero information with which to make that determineation, seems awfully silly.

I'm not saying he will be good. I'm saying I don't know.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game