Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell me why you don't like Hockey

I thought maybe we could have a civilized conversation without people posting things like "hockey sucks"

Tell me why you don't like hockey.

I'm originally from Phoenix, I discovered hockey when I was 12 years old and living in Los Angeles. The roller hockey community in particular is very strong in L.A.

Having spent the last 9 years in Dallas, I found a home at Reunion and the AAC with the Stars, and by extention the Mavericks.

I find the reasons people don't like hockey are:

1. Their parents didn't like it, so they don't either. (Sports is like religion, or racism, or anything else. Your upbringing tends to scew your judgement, steer you one way or the other)

2. Hockey is expensive. As a child who wants to play hockey you need somewhere between $500 and $1000 dollars worth of equipment. You have to buy new sticks all the time. League fees. etc. My parents bought for me the most god aweful used cheap crap equipment ever, but I didn't care.

3. You've never been to an NHL game. seriously, $12 tickets available. Go to a game. have a beer, you'll have a good time. I promise. Sit closer for a better experience of course. Dont try to judge hockey from your crappy tv set. HD hockey however, is greatness. Watch the playoffs. It's as dramatic as sports gets.

4. People say they don't understand it. Power plays, icing, offsides, etc. I bet half of the people that would say that, know exactyl what the ref signal for ineligible reciever down field is, so that's a lame excuse.

I got lucky, I fell in love with hockey when I was a kid. But it's not too late for you, if your open minded and want to try something new and realize how incredibly boring baseball is.

I took my fiance to her first hockey game ever last year, first game of the season. From that night on, she was hooked. She's got her Marty Turco jersey and she can't wait to get back for next season screaming and yelling.

Let the hockey bashing begin
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Hockey games are fun to watch in person but on the TV it is just futbol on ice - yawn.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

So what's wrong with that? Football is a great game to watch. The excitement is supreme when somebody scores a goal. OK let me correct myself, The Anticipation of a scored goal is supreme! Nothing beats that. Plus when someone scores an equaliser, oohh suweetness! You find yourself back to your first anticipation: another goal must be scored! I think same goes for hockey. Every goal is worth the anticipation. Plus I love seeing fist fights! And Hockey is never Hockey without em.

You wanna know what a boring sport is? I'd say cricket. I just don't understand the whole thing! Anyway... back to the thread topic.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I was born and raised in Texas.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

goooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll llllllllllllll
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dislike hockey, but as a casual sports fan, its just not often in my wheel house for many reasons.....one of them being that OLN is the official NHL network. You would've thought that somebody might've realized "outdoor bass fishing" (on an obscure cable network) is not the best lead-in for a sport that is trying to gain popularity.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 08-29-2006 at 11:38 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I don't dislike hockey, but as a casual sports fan, its just not often in my wheel house for many reasons.....one of them being that OLN is the official NHL network. You would've thought that somebody might've realized "outdoor bass fishing" (on an obscure cable network) is not the best lead-in for a sport that is trying to gain popularity.
this is an unfortunate thing. I agree.

The NHL labor dispute will, in the long run, have done a lot for the game. Goal scoring was up an entire goal per game this year. and the shootout is greatness.

That being said, the worst part of the labor dispute was getting dropped from ESPN. As much of a spare Barry Melrose is, ESPNs hockey coverage was greatness. I miss that, and so do people who will never watch the NHL on national TV bc OLN sucks hard.

But on a similar topic, another good reason for people to tune into a Stars game on FSN or KDFI, is that we have by far the best hockey broadcasting team in Ralph and Razor.

I've heard other local guys on the NHL center ice package on directv, theyre really horrible.

(we're also very lucky with the Mavs broadcasters too)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-29-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

my hockey man crush is mike madano
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't grow up watching hockey. I could probably get into it but hockey season runs concurrently with basketball season. I watch a ton of basketball...high school, college and NBA and I don't have time for another winter sport.

Last edited by dirno2000; 08-29-2006 at 12:27 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Reasons I'm not interested in it:

1) Grew up in Texas where it's not popular, and where winter/ice sports are less relevant

2) Never played it, difficult to relate to

3) Don't understand rules

4) Not enough scoring/too difficult for players to score (generally)

Reason I don't like it:

Excessive violence. I could try to overcome reasons 1-4, but the mindless, senseless violence in hockey put me off it long, long, long ago. Maybe it's changed in recent years, but too many stupid, pointless fights that seemed to be condoned/encouraged by the league years ago---that's what hockey highlights always seemed to be about.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Here's my theory: it's all about perception.

I find games where I perceive the players are not doing something extraordinary to be boring to watch.

Examples:
Soccer: Kicking a ball... not impressive. I feel I could easily do it.
Hockey: Hitting a puck with a stick? Not impressed.
Golf: Hitting a ball into a hole? Not impressed.

Note that I am not saying these are easy things to do... in fact, they are as difficult as in any other game; but I am talking about perception, especially on TV.

Take the games I love watching:
Football: 250-300lb guys pounding each other to submission. I KNOW I can't do that... it's awesome to watch.
Basketball: One word: DUNKING! Wow.
Even baseball: Throwing a ball at 100mph? Wow. I know I can never do that in my life.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

My list looks a lot like Kiki's. To the "can't relate" part, I'd add: I just don't understand the strategies - knowing who's supposed to be where and why is a big part of enjoying a sport.

And as far as knowing what the ineligible receiver referee signal is: I don't know what that is. I don't watch a lot of football, but it's easy to get into a game in part because when the tv guy says, "ineligible receiver down field" I can make a pretty good guess that there was a penalty because the offense had an ineligible receiver down field. When the hockey announcer says "icing," I think of getting something out of the freezer.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

Examples:
Soccer: Kicking a ball... not impressive. I feel I could easily do it.
Hockey: Hitting a puck with a stick? Not impressed.
Golf: Hitting a ball into a hole? Not impressed.

Note that I am not saying these are easy things to do... in fact, they are as difficult as in any other game; but I am talking about perception, especially on TV.
Clearly you've never been to a hockey game.

You try concetrating on something like stickhandling and people trying to kill you while moving 25 mph down a sheet of ice.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I didn't grow up watching hockey. I could probably get into it but hockey season runs concurrently with basketball season. I don't have time for another winter sport.
ditto.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It is a real bitch sometimes. But I love when both are going and there's a game on every night.

My fiance gets pissed off at me for trying to watch two games at the same time. Of course if someone is getting their ass handed to them it makes it easier.

I love when the Mavs play early and the Stars play late at L.A. or vice versa....

SPORTs!!! I can't wait for November.!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #16
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Anyone in here who loves soccer? Real Madrid! Chelsea!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I don't love it, but I wish I did.

I loved watching the World Cup.

We don't have a lot of good quality soccer here to watch. The MLS is not a high quality soccer league, so it's hard to get into.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #18
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

So I noticed.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

bump?

I didnt even try to convice people of Hockeys obvious greatness, I just gave you an avenue to tell me why dont like it.... and youre so bloody apathetic about this great great sport that you wont even do that.

\quit
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #20
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Imo, Its BORING.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

the new rule changes have helped. thank god they got ris of some of the offsides penalties. that made even watching it in person boring.

i would probably say that for most of the people here, organized hockey was not something available to them in their youth. huge indoor rinks just weren't around in the south when i was growing up. if you lived somewhere up north, then you got into hockey. down south, the winter sport is basketball.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I donno, it's cool but I just prefer baseball basketball and football.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I love Hockey. It's 3rd right behind Football for me.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #24
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
Imo, Its BORING.
I wasn't going to get into this discussion, but I don't see how anyone can say that. Really, everyone really needs to go see a game in person before passing judgement. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea & since this IS a Mavs board, I gave up trying to talk hockey here long ago, but I do wish more people would just give it a chance. As they say, it's not just a sport, it's a love.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:28 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on board with the whole "hockey must be seen in person" point of view. When the Stars were kicking ass and winning the Stanley Cup, the TV games were well good enough for me. Now, I *was* in attendance at the Game Seven against Colorado at the old Reunion Arena, and that was nice. But I still feel like I know more about the game when I watch it on TV.

To me, the biggest reason I'm not a huge hockey fan is that the Stars have not been that successful of late. When they are winning, I am watching.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 AM   #26
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm........ The Stars had the 2nd best record in the Western Conference last year chum....

Now they folded in the Playoffs, but you would have to be clairvoyant to know that was going to happen.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Ummmm........ The Stars had the 2nd best record in the Western Conference last year chum....

Now they folded in the Playoffs, but you would have to be clairvoyant to know that was going to happen.

Ouch.

And yes, they were doing pretty well last year. It was a great season.

Next season.... I'll be there at least 15 games....but I have my doubts....