Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default happy 11 year b'day to ...TheTicket

11 years of greatness. I don't know how I'd make it to work without you.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: happy 11 year b'day to ...TheTicket

Amen to that.

Bring back Johnny Wyatt and the clutch word of the week.

Situation (thank you).
Old 01-24-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:happy 11 year b'day to ...TheTicket

.....It's amazing to look back at some of the bad that was involved at the ticket...

Bayless
the sports princess
The Hot Spot -..mainly David Robinson also
Expo
I'm sure I'm missing some big ones..but, that's just off the top of my head.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget about the sports idiot Rocko Pendola. Remember when Gordo was paired with the sports princess at nights? That was crap radio.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

The Sports Princess was a sports idiot.......
good call on Rocko
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How 'bout some of the bad that still IS involved? Like, um...the Hardline? God, I hate those guys. But in a very weird kind of way, I enjoy them at the same time.

I still say Gordo is missing his calling. That guy could be Lenny Bruce.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
How 'bout some of the bad that still IS involved?

How 'bout Dale Hansen ...vomit.

They'd be better of just shutting down the station those 2 hours each week.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

I love The Hardline....except when they talk basketball....They don't watch the games..just basically read the boxscore and go from there.

Dunham and Miller struggle when talking Sport...but, Gordo saves the show.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Don't forget about the sports idiot Rocko Pendola. Remember when Gordo was paired with the sports princess at nights? That was crap radio.
I thought it was genius(of course I think anything Gordo's involved in is genius). She would be trying to conduct her generic sports intensive talk show and he would shoot the wheels off at every opportunity.

Max Miller was another bad Ticket host. Actually Bob was headed down that same road...he was pretty bland. I remember him trying to fit in and useing the word greatness in every other sentence.

...and who can forget the Ticket breakroom signup sheet for a weekend evening show?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

David Robinson Also was on the Mavs post game show on 103.3 the other day and they were saying he was going to become a regular employee. Possibly on with Galloway. Its hard to believe that guy can get on the radio.

I actually kind of liked Blanford and of course Big Dick.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

"of course I think anything Gordo's involved in is genius"

Except for the Mark Cuban Show. Wasn't that Gordo?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Cuban and TV just don't mix well...so, it's easy to see why Gordo struggled.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I agree dirno... I just meant that I felt sorry for him. I would actually try and help him derail it whenever they would take calls.

Max Miller made me vomit blood.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Except for the Mark Cuban Show. Wasn't that Gordo?
That Never Happened!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #15
FreshJive
Diamond Member

True, Murphy. Gordo was the highlight of the show, and I'm sure Cuban payed well.

HaHa. Funny Dirno.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Stru-ggle-ing.

The Ticket has destroyed my inner monologue. Now, instead of my own thoughts, I am left with random ticket drops surfacing from my subconscious at every moment. It is a serious problem.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

My Canadian boss now walks around saying "I'd like to see your contract!" every time someone goes out to eat for lunch and spends more than 5 bucks. He's never heard the ticket, but the schtick is rubbing off. As for me, I'm so desensitized that I find myself making jokes about very, very unfortunate events....edited due to unfortunate comments made by myself.

I love TheTicket.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Stru-ggle-ing.

The Ticket has destroyed my inner monologue. Now, instead of my own thoughts, I am left with random ticket drops surfacing from my subconscious at every moment. It is a serious problem.
I hear you, Doobs. I often think to myself: "Eight!"

The most fun is when you can anticipate the drop a couple seconds before it happens.

I often wonder how Norm feels about his drops. Lately they have been getting pretty raunchy. You would think that it might hack him off. But man, oh man, where would the little ticket be without Norm drops?

Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Norm drops are definitely more entertaining than Norm himself.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Stru-ggle-ing.

That's one thing I don't miss about the Ticket. I found myself listening to a lot of it, even though most of the shows were a beating, and I ended up with random Ticket drops popping into my mind at various inopportune times.

Of course, it's been enjoyable calling my kids "milk monkey" and "blood monkey", but I'd have to say on a whole that the Ticket ain't that great -- if you're looking for sports talk. OTOH, if you're looking for juvenile male-oriented entertainment, it can't be beaten.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

If you're just looking for male oriented humor in general...juvenile or otherwise...it can't be beaten.

As for sports talk, I can see why it would be difficult to talk all sports all the time. I've yet to run across a show that does that consistently at a high level. So give me a little humor mixed in with the sports. I've been around TheTicket long enough to know that Junior Miller is incapable of making an intelligent basketball point. The same goes for TheHardline. So, I don't even remotely expect it. I've also been around TheTicket long enough to know that if breaking Mavs news occurs, they're likely to be ahead of the curve compared to other stations. The same goes with the Rangers and the 'boys.

TheTicket mentioned yesterday that they are accepted industry wide as having the most loyal listeners of any radio station in the country. Count me in as one of the P1's that's bought into the format hook, line, and sinker.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #22
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
but I'd have to say on a whole that the Ticket ain't that great -- if you're looking for sports talk. OTOH, if you're looking for juvenile male-oriented entertainment, it can't be beaten.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:45 AM   #23
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
I often think to myself: "Eight!"
Chum, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I do that myself all the time!!

Quote:
male oriented humor
What does it say about me as a chick, that I am a P-1 and 99.9% of the time I am listening to the Ticket if my radio is on??

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

You're fine. I'm the only guy in my office that listens to TheTicket, but there's 3 ladies that have it on all the time.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Murph - You make a valid point. I've yet to hear a program, either, that talked sports consistently for any protracted length of time that wasn't unbearably boring.

As for loyal listeners, there's no question.

I've zoned out on talk radio over the past couple of months, but I recently heard the local ESPN Radio station talk about starting a new "P-1" fan base. I laughed out loud.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #26
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

p-1 has been a term in radio jargon for forever. the ticket just let listeners know what the term meant. every station talks about their p-1's...(just rarely on the air.)
Old 01-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #27
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

As a fairly new resident to Houston, I can't believe how much I miss the Ticket. Sports radio in this town is so terrible I almost yearn to hear the sweet voice of JT the Brick.

Someone shoot me

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #28
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Cora.

Snake.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
p-1 has been a term in radio jargon for forever. the ticket just let listeners know what the term meant. every station talks about their p-1's...(just rarely on the air.)
I know, but this station was also trying to use it as a promotional tool.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
I know, but this station was also trying to use it as a promotional tool.
Exactly...and some other sports stations are 'attempting' to follow suit with just about everything TheTicket does.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #31
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Tough to do it, because most stations don't have the comedic talent necessary to pull it off.

Sure, there are only a few good true sports guys on the Ticket, but what stations out there can compete with the comedic abilities of Gordo and Cobra?

Not many.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Oh sure, I agree. I believe there's a station somewhere in Utah now that goes by TheTicket and has/had a show called TheHardline and a host nicknamed TheHammer...

I believe I have the details right according to what the true Hardline was discussing the other day....
Old 01-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #33
XERXES
Diamond Member

there are stations specifically called "the ticket" in tons of markets.

it's the nature of radio- if you catch lightning in a bottle- clone it as many times as you possibly can.

same with "the eagle", "the edge", "kiss", "Jack" - there are lots of them...and most of them are pretty dang homogenous.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

...but to copy TheTicket as much as this other station has done is comical. I believe that they caught so much crap over it that they actually changed the name of their show and changed some of the nicknames of the personalities involved with the show. I don't know if they were legally forced to or were simply threatened with that possibility. I know that TheTicket in Dallas was considering legal action with regards to some of what occurred.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #35
chumdawg
Guru

Screeww the P1.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #36
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
there are stations specifically called "the ticket" in tons of markets.

it's the nature of radio- if you catch lightning in a bottle- clone it as many times as you possibly can.

same with "the eagle", "the edge", "kiss", "Jack" - there are lots of them...and most of them are pretty dang homogenous.
Yeah, and you know what? In a lot of cases, they have to pay for it. They make jokes about it, but other stations pay money to emmulate the Ticket. There is a station in LA that uses the same ticker and traffic music, breaks are at the same time too.

It isn't true in every case, but it happens a lot. For example, every "Young Country" station had to pay money to 105.3 back in the day.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #37
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Can anyone explain the phrase, "Have good and get give" to me? It always makes me giggle, but I want to know where it came from.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #38
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It's a Gordo-ism.

It means that while having good, you should also be getting given. Something I try and do 24x7.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #39
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Anybody hear the BAD radio interview with Corso...most tense radio since the Stackhouse interview.

Who's the A-hole?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Yeah, I heard it. Greatness. A typically Tense Dan Situation. Kinda like a couple weeks back when he made the mistake of trying to take on Bob Knight. Dan cracks me up.