Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Injuries

Now that the season is over, I'm curious how people view the fact that the FO put a knowingly injury prone team on the floor this season. It seems like a total cop out to put blame on them when it as a given that injuries were going to play a huge role this season. I'm not saying they have as of yet, but it surely seems like an easy scapegoat.

This is why I'm not interested in seeing Deron back with the team next season. They desperately needed him to be good, and you can't have a guy who you rely on just always be hurt. It's a bit different with Barea and Harris who are bench players on reasonable contracts, but Deron had to be good this season. He fell short, and I haven't really seen any sustaining comfort level in Rick's system. The offense is totally broken, and the lead pg has to have a large part of the blame.

I'm not just singling him out, but it's representative of the fact that a player who isn't on the floor can't help you at all. And that certainly goes for Parsons as well.

I just hope the front office takes a big step back and looks at how important a healthy team is. Injuries are natural, but the Mavs had no chance whatsoever against so many injuries this season.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn

"Knowingly put an injury-ridden team together"

We already had Parsons. Mejri was a freebie FA we had no idea would be a player. Matthews we lured away because Portland exploded. Williams wasn't really a choice-- he was the best guy that fell to us.

We didn't plan to $&@£ it all up with injuries. We did the best we could. Any other opinion is ridiculous.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-25-2016 at 10:06 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"Any other opinion is ridiculous." Here we go again...

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-25-2016 at 10:14 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying the Mavs front office had good choices and were like "let's take the injury-prone guys, all things being even"? Because that is flat out ridiculous. We did the best we could without a single asset to our name. We got some good young guys and some stop-gap guys like Deron. The roster before the season was pathetic and we had like four guys on the roster.

Deron - waived, fell to us for pennies
Parsons - injured (twice) since we signed him
Mejri - rookie we gambled on
Matthews - checked with trainer. Was healthy.
Lee - fell to us for pennies
Harris - dude has had some issues, but he is decent and were loyal.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-25-2016 at 10:25 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Now that the season is over, I'm curious how people view the fact that the FO put a knowingly injury prone team on the floor this season. It seems like a total cop out to put blame on them when it as a given that injuries were going to play a huge role this season. I'm not saying they have as of yet, but it surely seems like an easy scapegoat.
Beggars can't be choosers. Mavs were once again in a terrible position in the offseason, so they had to take flawed guys. An injured shooting guard who cannot drive to the basket who they had to money whip. A PG who is injury prone and close to done (who actually worked out well for big portions of the season) and so on.
It comes back to the fact that the FO outthink themselves with some pie-in-the-sky plan A every year which they are 0-5 in. I think they did the best they could on plan B and C. But it's never going to make you a serious contender in the Dirk era again.

Last edited by Dim499; 04-25-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Wow. You're right. Cuban intentionally looked for players that were injury prone over healthy players that could defend and rebound ... like DeAndre Jordan.

Sometimes there isn't someone to blame. Sometimes life leaves a pile dog shit on your front porch for you to step in. Quit trying to put blame on someone and just be glad we fought and played hard to the bitter end. Seriously.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the original post and wonder if the Mavs felt they could get lucky like they did with some others (Tyson, Kidd, Stack, etc...) who had some injury issues before coming to us.
To DHWS's point....I think we took a chance on too many of them this time around but as someone else stated "beggars can't be choosers". I don't really see any blame but I do agree there should be a lesson to learn as we enter into the off-season.

The plan with bringing in DJ to go with Parsons and Matthews and then use those three to attract a quality PG (Conley?) this coming off-season when the cap went up was brilliant imo but nobody had any idea DJ was that wishy-washy and would do something like that and the Mavs were then handcuffed and desperate at that point.

But I do agree that injury plagued players should not be coveted as highly as maybe some lesser skilled players who have upside with a decent health history.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-26-2016 at 10:43 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote