Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #81
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1357939
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #82
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

We have too many point guards, Jameer and Devin seems to be our main point guard rotation, J.J Bares may be the 3rd option, looks like Raymond may get left back, wish we never got him in the trade from NY. We should have asked for Shannon Brown to come wit Tyson instead.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #83
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Quote:
I’m not sure you’ll find another person happier that JJ Barea is back than JJ Barea.

Barea cleared waivers yesterday and was immediately signed by Dallas, where he played the first five seasons of his career. The Puerto Rican point guard last wore a Mavericks uniform during Game 6 of the NBA Finals, when the Mavericks won the title against the Miami Heat in a series in which Barea ultimately played a pivotal role: It was head coach Rick Carlisle’s decision to start Barea in Game 4 — and the guard’s subsequent play — that swung the series in the Mavs’ favor.

During his first stint here, Barea developed into a reliable pick-and-roll partner with Dirk Nowitzki; you might remember that in Game 2 of the Mavs’ sweep against the Lakers in 2011, it was the Barea/Nowitzki P&R that blew the game wide-open in the fourth quarter. (It was also Barea’s fierce drive to the rim, and the subsequent flagrant foul by and subsequent ejection of Andrew Bynum, that put the last nail in the coffin in Game 4 of that series.) Reuniting with Nowitzki could very well help Barea return to his old efficient form. After all, it’s pretty easy to play with Dirk, and the guard practically had it down to a science a few years ago.

Following that title season, Barea has spent the last three seasons with Minnesota, averaging 10.1 points and 4.3 assists per game. But the point guard, who quickly endeared himself to fans because of his penchant for taking charges and willingness to attack the rim against much larger defenders, said he wishes he never would have left.

“I’m excited to be back,” he said. “This was the five best years of my life right here.”

Typically, it’s fairly uncommon to see this type of move happen at this time of year; the Mavs’ season has already started, after all. However, Barea is familiar with Carlisle’s system, which immediately makes him a viable candidate for playing time. Finding that chemistry with Nowitzki should come quickly, as the two spent so many years together before. So, too, will his familiarity with Tyson Chandler help the transition. Barea is now the third player from that Finals team on the current roster, and he’s happy to work with his old friends.

“Tyson was one of the biggest parts of that year,” he said. “Dirk will always be here. It’s great to have everybody back.”

Bringing the band back together isn’t just a symbolic gesture. There’s no question Barea can still play, and his addition signifies not only that the Mavs believe in him, but also that they’re looking to win right now. The team opted to waive youngster Gal Mekel to make room on the roster for Barea, electing to go with experience and current skill versus potential. Dallas is going all-in.

That said, where Barea will fit in to the rotation remains to be seen. Both Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris have performed very well at the point guard spot from preseason through the team’s regular season opener in San Antonio, and once Raymond Felton returns from his ankle injury and four-game suspension, the backcourt will become even more crowded. It’s still a good problem to have, but it’s a challenge nonetheless.

Harris, though, has the size to defend shooting guards if Carlisle elects to pair him with Barea in the backcourt. That could buy the returning Maverick some playing time, especially during the early stages in the season when the coach and his staff are working to figure out which players are getting the best grasp on the system.

Don’t limit your imagination to playing with just two guards, though. The Mavericks played with a three-guard lineup for lengthy stretches against the Spurs, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see that group become a more regular sight moving forward. During the 2011 title run, Carlisle regularly rolled out a three-guard group featuring Barea, Jason Kidd, and Jason Terry. It’s difficult to guess which two guards among the Harris-Nelson-Monta Ellis grouping might get the nod to play alongside Barea were that to happen, but that’s what early season games are for — try everything and figure out what works best.

We’ll see how long it takes for Carlisle to find a role for his newest weapon. We’ll also see how long it takes for Barea to become acclimated with his new teammates, but seeing familiar faces like Nowitzki’s and Tyson Chandler’s should make that process a whole lot quicker. And, besides, if it’s anything like the jelling process we’ve already witnessed with the rest of this team, it’ll be a smooth, enjoyable experience.
http://www.mavs.com/mavs-bring-back-...n=bobby_103014
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #84
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

I read the RealGM Timberwolves forum thread about Barea being bought out: a lot of people seem to think he shouldn't have been signed (as in not a good situation for him to go into) and that he was used the wrong way. It seems like he also complained about the lack of playing time on THAT team... what's going to happen here? A lot of people there are happy to see him go.

"Also barea was less of a scapegoat as he was legitimately awful."

"It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****."

"I am so happy that bum is out of here. We won't have him single handedly costing us games."

"Barea was treated better than deserved. The amount of games we lost or almost lost because of him was immense."

"Barea this past season was 14th out of 15 on the team in RAPM with a -3.45 total. He just beat out Shabazz who was a rookie and only got garbage minutes. Barea, meanwhile, was 7th on the team in minutes played and sulked on the bench when things didn't go his way."

"Thank goodness!
In terms of good memories though, gotta give him some massive props for that OKC game last season (or the season before?)."

"Congrats guys! Should never have been signed but it's great that I don't have to watch him anymore."

"Shall we make today a holiday ? I say yes"

It seems like Adelman didn't know when to reign him in. Hopefully Carlisle does.
"Those late 4th quarters where JJ was in the game still were on Adelman. Its up to the coach to know who needs to be in there."

None of those quotes are encouraging and the teams fans usually have a better grasp of what's going on than most in the media. Especially for a small market team like the Wolves.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #85
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to pass any judgement until I see what Carlisle does with him. Rick has a history of taking scrap heap players and making them something special. JJ is not scrap heap, and he already has chemistry here with Carlisle, TC, and most importantly Dirk. I will say it seems like more of an emotional move than a smart basketball move given the current makeup of our team, but a championship organization deserves a little bit of respect in regards to the moves they make, at least until we see how those moves shape up.

For all I know though, this could have been forced by Cubes to sell tickets. I'm firmly in "wait and see" mode.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #86
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

He definitely should not have been signed for what they paid him. JJB for $18mil for 4 years is a waste of cap space. JJB for the minimum is fine, a good deal even. I'm not surprised the Wolves fans are happy to see him go. But I don't think it means anyrhing for the Mavs. We know what he can and can't do.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #87
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So exactly what happened financially here. He had a 4.5 million salary. There must have been some sort of buyout or what?

He has a 1.? salary here.

At the end of the day, how much is he making this year?.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #88
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I must ask this... I missed the first 3 quarters of the game because of school. I see that Greg Smith only played 2 minutes 11 seconds. However, was he the first player off the bench? I have a feeling that he was due to Tyson Chandler's foul trouble during the first half. All he racked up was a single personal foul. It must have been an ugly one since he must have been pulled from the game after committing it.
Heh.. Yea he was the first center off the bench. Carlisle wanted to play him longer ( at least until Duncan sat down ) but I'm afraid he doesn't know what he is doing out there and that may be why he was pulled. The quick foul I don't think was the problem. I'm afraid he is lacking in the smarts dept. if so, my prognostication will probably be wrong. He may still be the first off the bench, but only to try and soak up minutes.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #89
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
So exactly what happened financially here. He had a 4.5 million salary. There must have been some sort of buyout or what?

He has a 1.? salary here.

At the end of the day, how much is he making this year?.
Bought out by the Wolves, signed by Mavs at minimum. Have not seen details of the buyout from the Wolves. But since it was widely known the Mavs would sign him for the minimum, JJ likely agreed to subtract the minimum from what the Wolves had to pay him. If that is the case, he would still make 4.5 mil, with around 3.5 being paid by the Wolves, and close to 1 mil paid by the Mavs.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #90
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure JJB will be a big help, but he will be more NBA ready than Mekel, and he is a much better shooter.

I was never a big fan of his. His magical play in the Finals run was larely due to the fact that neither LA or MIA had a guard quick enough to cover him. Carlisle realized this and beat those teams to death with JJB. Coaching brilliance, and JJB delivered better than I imagined he could. Because of that, he was able to earn far more than he is worth from Minnesota, But that doesn't make me think he could do that every night. The good thing is, Rick won't ask him to.

As a tool in RC's toolbox, JJB is good to have. We will always have at least one guard on the floor who can drive to the hoop. I'd be happier if someone who overpaid for Mahimi or Haywood would cut him, as well.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #91
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea if he will dress for the game tonight?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #92
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
With Felton out it's between him and Ledo, I assume.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #93
bunkmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Per ESPN radio, he was seen shooting baskets at the AAC. So it is at least a good possibility he suits up.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #94
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Per twitter he is available tonight.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #95
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Per twitter he is available tonight.
Awesome.
Ledo/Felton inactive, I assume.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #96
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Awesome.
Ledo/Felton inactive, I assume.
Yup, same guess here. Felton out with the injury at least another week...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #97
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #98
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

I'd hardly call signing Barea and letting Mekel go the equivalent of going "all in".

Also I don't think it's a matter of having a guard quick enough to stay with Barea - rarely does he just break his man down solo. I think JJB is just fast enough to force the defense to make choices when defending the pick and roll. During the playoff run he was good enough to take advantage of his opportunities with proper passing and good shots. This "good" has to be taken with the "bad" of his defensive limitations and fortunately in certain situations it really worked to our advantage. Credit Rick for having the smarts and the guts to send him out there and make good use of his skills and credit JJB for delivering when it mattered.

I love having him as a change of pace - used situationally I think he adds a different dimension.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #99
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
I read the RealGM Timberwolves forum thread about Barea being bought out: a lot of people seem to think he shouldn't have been signed (as in not a good situation for him to go into) and that he was used the wrong way. It seems like he also complained about the lack of playing time on THAT team... what's going to happen here? A lot of people there are happy to see him go.

"Also barea was less of a scapegoat as he was legitimately awful."

"It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****."

"I am so happy that bum is out of here. We won't have him single handedly costing us games."

"Barea was treated better than deserved. The amount of games we lost or almost lost because of him was immense."

"Barea this past season was 14th out of 15 on the team in RAPM with a -3.45 total. He just beat out Shabazz who was a rookie and only got garbage minutes. Barea, meanwhile, was 7th on the team in minutes played and sulked on the bench when things didn't go his way."

"Thank goodness!
In terms of good memories though, gotta give him some massive props for that OKC game last season (or the season before?)."

"Congrats guys! Should never have been signed but it's great that I don't have to watch him anymore."

"Shall we make today a holiday ? I say yes"

It seems like Adelman didn't know when to reign him in. Hopefully Carlisle does.
"Those late 4th quarters where JJ was in the game still were on Adelman. Its up to the coach to know who needs to be in there."

None of those quotes are encouraging and the teams fans usually have a better grasp of what's going on than most in the media. Especially for a small market team like the Wolves.
Why would any Mav fan care what Minny fans think about JJB? It's not like there's a lack of precedent for evaluating him as a fit with Dirk and in Rick's offense.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #100
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Why would any Mav fan care what Minny fans think about JJB? It's not like there's a lack of precedent for evaluating him as a fit with Dirk and in Rick's offense.
Just giving perspective. It's interesting how players are viewed on other teams - plus I haven't payed attention to JJ since he left, so it's at least some insight.

I think he played within himself tonight, and played well.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #101
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Good start for Barea. I like that he gets in attack mode.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #102
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
Bought out by the Wolves, signed by Mavs at minimum. Have not seen details of the buyout from the Wolves. But since it was widely known the Mavs would sign him for the minimum, JJ likely agreed to subtract the minimum from what the Wolves had to pay him. If that is the case, he would still make 4.5 mil, with around 3.5 being paid by the Wolves, and close to 1 mil paid by the Mavs.
Thanks...
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #103
WhatYouTalkingAboutEllis

WhatYouTalkingAboutEllis is a jewel in the roughWhatYouTalkingAboutEllis is a jewel in the roughWhatYouTalkingAboutEllis is a jewel in the roughWhatYouTalkingAboutEllis is a jewel in the rough
Default Nobody is thinking of

In all of the JJ news/praise one thing has been forgotten about this deal that benefits the mavs more then anything. Think about last year and so far this season.....what has killed us? Especially in the playoffs? A quick PG who can dance around in the lane which forces us to collapse and leave 3 pt shots open.....(Tony Parker). Well Do not forget JJ Is just that kind of player. He is very quick and able to stay on the hip of most PGs. This will be a huge advantage for us come teams like the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Cavs, Blazers, Suns, Bulls, Wizards, etc.......Now do not misinterpret what I am saying as that he will shut them down because that is far from the case, but he will be able to stay with them and prevent the dancing in the lane which has been an Achilles heel for us as of late.

In regards to look how someone played after they left etc. the only case u need to look at really is Marion......he was looked at as past his prime when with the heat. Nobody wanted him and he was not any good anymore. But when he was introduced to a new/different system he succeeded. SO I never base a player off of what they did on a prior team when potential has been shown. Lets just let coach do just that and see just how effective JJ can be.

Last edited by WhatYouTalkingAboutEllis; 10-31-2014 at 08:40 AM.
WhatYouTalkingAboutEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #104
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I don't think Barea helps with slowing down the quick PG's all that much. That's pretty much what he'll be for the Mavs.. a quick PG that can break his man down off the dribble and get into the lane. The Spurs had no answer for him. I kinda think that's why he's back in a Mavs uniform.. for that type of a role.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #105
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

People really overlooked Barea's ability to stay in front of quick PGs. Good shooting PGs really kill him but the ones that predominately penetrate were not as effective as he would either cut them off or drew charges.

I think it was a combination of his ability to dribble penetrate, stay in front of quick PGs, shoot 3s, draw fans, and nba experience that led to the decision to sign him and let Mekel go.
Bottom line...Barea is proven but Mekel just isn't there yet and offered different skill sets that weren't necessarily needed this season. Barea is a better fit on a championship caliber team...especially when he was a key contributor to the Mavs only one.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #106
johneric8

johneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the rough

I never post, but have always followed this board but I just have to say many of you are so full of it I can't believe it...... The year of the mavs championship season there were so many of you hatin on Barea, and I even commented on how much I thought it could help this team.. It was obvious to me that he was a baller and could really help! The naysayers wanted to ship him out just like they do now... Haven't you learned anything? The guy has skills when motivated and playing with the right people.. He has those intangibles that can't be taught.. Having this kid on the team is a huge upgrade and I would venture to say he is going to do incredible things for this team this year... Those of you doubting him have seriously short memories...
johneric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #107
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneric8 View Post
I never post, but have always followed this board but I just have to say many of you are so full of it I can't believe it...... The year of the mavs championship season there were so many of you hatin on Barea, and I even commented on how much I thought it could help this team.. It was obvious to me that he was a baller and could really help! The naysayers wanted to ship him out just like they do now... Haven't you learned anything? The guy has skills when motivated and playing with the right people.. He has those intangibles that can't be taught.. Having this kid on the team is a huge upgrade and I would venture to say he is going to do incredible things for this team this year... Those of you doubting him have seriously short memories...
Glad you spoke out and you should do more often as you seem to have a lot to offer this board.

People seem to be biased when only seeing what they want to see. They see a small guy and only look at the negative aspects. But Barea's small size allows him to get under people and basically bug the crap out of them. And when they put the ball on the floor the advantage tilts heavily in his favor. When he dribbles he makes defenses work and actually seems to create chaos for defenses.
He certainly has his flaws but it bothers me too when people stereotype size and automatically think he doesn't deserve PT or to even be in the league.
I think he brings a lot of personality to the team that we lacked...not sure who the crowd favorite would have been after losing VC before JJ showed up.
I too think he will do a lot for this team this season and be a big factor down the stretch.

Keep posting!!!

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-31-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #108
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Glad you spoke out and you should do more often as you seem to have a lot to offer this board.

People seem to be biased when only seeing what they want to see. They see a small guy and only look at the negative aspects. But Barea's small size allows him to get under people and basically bug the crap out of them. And when they put the ball on the floor the advantage tilts heavily in his favor. When he dribbles he makes defenses work and actually seems to create chaos for defenses.
He certainly has his flaws but it bothers me too when people stereotype size and automatically think he doesn't deserve PT or to even be in the league.
I think he brings a lot of personality to the team that we lacked...not sure who the crowd favorite would have been after losing VC before JJ showed up.
I too think he will do a lot for this team this season and be a big factor down the stretch.

Keep posting!!!
Nicely done, guys!

I have been reading (a lot!) and then posting (occasionally) on this entertaining forum since 2005, when JJB started playing for the team, so I have read ALL the possible OPINIONS from "non-believers", regarding whatever JJB couldn't (and still cannot) do because of his lack of size, defense, B.B. I.Q., etc., etc. etc....

In short, I was very happy to witness how JJB delivered all kinds of positive FACTS during the 2010-2011 postseason.

Today, as JJB is, I am very happy to see the kid come back to a franchise, to a COACH, who knows how to maximize his skills.

Que Vivan los Mavericos!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #109
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Small (!) sample size for Barea, but I love that he played mistake-free basketball in his first game back... Plus he & Dirk looked like they picked up right where they left off after the championship. Love that he's back!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #110
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

i love jj and im happy to have him back, now reading some postings of u guys saying that felton is gonna get sit out or wont make the 12 players roster is just ridiculous, first of all, like it or not, felton was the guy to run our pg over jameer, but the fact that he had that suspention and the injury helped to start jameer over him, on the numbers, the dude had his worst numbers last year, which sucks, but hes more than capable to go back to his old numbers, and if he does, then jameer is going to the bench, i really like him though, but felton used to be really solid, So i think is more than obvious that the guys getting left out are gonna be ricky and charlie v, it really sucks cuz i had high hopes for ricky this season as well as for gal, they will still be on the texas legends and maybe next year they get a shot
Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #111
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffballer View Post
i love jj and im happy to have him back, now reading some postings of u guys saying that felton is gonna get sit out or wont make the 12 players roster is just ridiculous, first of all, like it or not, felton was the guy to run our pg over jameer, but the fact that he had that suspention and the injury helped to start jameer over him, on the numbers, the dude had his worst numbers last year, which sucks, but hes more than capable to go back to his old numbers, and if he does, then jameer is going to the bench, i really like him though, but felton used to be really solid, So i think is more than obvious that the guys getting left out are gonna be ricky and charlie v, it really sucks cuz i had high hopes for ricky this season as well as for gal, they will still be on the texas legends and maybe next year they get a shot
Um, no.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #112
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtaUHMWQpiI

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #113
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Felton certainly receives unjust criticism but the mavs are in a pretty good situation at PG because most teams don't have the luxury to have 4 quality veteran pgs to compete for PT. It could become a problem but RC is the perfect coach to turn that into a positive situation. One of them will be gone by trade deadline if that situation becomes negative and the person who is making it a negative situation will be the one to go.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #114
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
first of all, like it or not, felton was the guy to run our pg over jameer, but the fact that he had that suspention and the injury helped to start jameer over him, on the numbers, the dude had his worst numbers last year, which sucks, but hes more than capable to go back to his old numbers, and if he does, then jameer is going to the bench, i really like him though, but felton used to be really solid

Ummmm, yeah, no (as in, "no").

In 2 games, Nelson has already established himself as a capable floor general, a solid 3-point threat, and a pesky defender. Where is the proof, if not in the pudding? (oh, snap - Felton ate all the proof!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-01-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #115
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ugh...
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #116
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Ummmm, yeah, no (as in, "no").

In 2 games, Nelson has already established himself as a capable floor general, a solid 3-point threat, and a pesky defender. Where is the proof, if not in the pudding? (oh, snap - Felton ate all the proof!)
haha thanks for the love guys lol but just said the truth, felton came to be the starting pg, jameer is doing a great job but im just being realistic here.Now if jameer keeps playing this good then its gonna be unanimous that hes gonna start all the games, but who knows
Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #117
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
...felton came so Tyson could be the starting center...
Fixed
Old 11-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #118
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
haha thanks for the love guys lol but just said the truth, felton came to be the starting pg, jameer is doing a great job but im just being realistic here.Now if jameer keeps playing this good then its gonna be unanimous that hes gonna start all the games, but who knows
Again, ugh...
Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #119
ffballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Again, ugh...
lol its true that the main objective on that trade was bringing back tyson, but that cost us calderon as well, so as an addition came felton to cover that spot, yall keep on hating on felton, i think hes gonna have a good season(i hope so if not im gonna have to eat my own words lol)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #120
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol its true that the main objective on that trade was bringing back tyson, but that cost us calderon as well, so as an addition came felton to cover that spot, yall keep on hating on felton, i think hes gonna have a good season(i hope so if not im gonna have to eat my own words lol)
Not hating on Felton. He's a Mav right now so I hope he can help. But the Mavs did not trade for him because they liked him as an option at starting PG. They had no choice but to take on an undesirable contract in order to get Tyson, took Felton because they viewed him as the lesser of the various evils that were reportedly on the table (c.f., JR Smith), would have very much preferred to have that money available to spend in free agency this summer and next, and only ever considered starting Felton because Rick likes to bring Devin off the bench and Dallas didn't have any other viable options at the time.