Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT (Game 1): Mavs @ Thunder 04/16/16 - 8:30pm CT

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Dirk Nowitzki's age-defying wizardry has been overlooked lately because of Kobe Bryant.

While the basketball world is still buzzing about the 37-year-old Bryant's 60-point outburst against Utah in his final game, Nowitzki, two months older than Bryant, is still playing. He leads the Dallas Mavericks into their first-round Western Conference playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder, with Game 1 on Saturday night.

Nowitzki isn't just still playing at 37 -- he's thriving. He led the Mavericks with 18.3 points per game this season. The league's No. 6 all-time scorer doesn't fire as often as in years past, but he's still dangerous.

"Physically, he would probably tell you he's not where he was five or six years ago, but he's still finding ways to be effective," 35-year-old Thunder forward Nick Collison said. "They're putting teams in really tough binds with how to guard their actions with a lot of the stuff they can do with his skill set. He's a guy I've got a ton of respect for. He's really good, and he's still doing it after all these years."

Nowitzki's shooting touch for a 7-footer poses matchup problems for most teams. Thunder coach Billy Donovan said his knowledge is just as important.

"I think any time, whether it's a Kobe Bryant or a Dirk Nowitzki, guys that have been in the NBA for a long, long time, I think the thing you can never underestimate is their ability and their experience and how many situations these guys have been in, and how they play the game mentally just as much as they play it physically," Donovan said.

Nowitzki has stood in the Thunder's way before: The Mavericks beat Oklahoma City in the 2011 Western Conference finals on their way to the NBA title. The Thunder swept the Mavericks in the first round the next year en route to the NBA Finals.

It's unclear how many more years Nowitzki will play, so Thunder forward Kevin Durant will enjoy the competition while he can.

"Dirk Nowitzki is one of my favorite players to ever play the game, so it's going to be fun playing against him," Durant said.

Here are some things to watch in the series:

THANKFUL DURANT

Kevin Durant bounced back from last year's injury-plagued season to average 28.2 points, a career-high 8.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game this season. The four-time scoring champion reflected this week on what life was like 12 months ago while he was recovering from bone graft surgery on his right foot.

"I remember, this time last year, everybody was going home and I was by myself in here with a cast on," Durant said. "That's all I can remember."

WESTBROOK vs. BAREA

Oklahoma City point guard Russell Westbrook and Dallas point guard J.J. Barea had an altercation during their Jan. 13 game, and Westbrook was ejected. Aside from that matchup, Westbrook dominated the season series, averaging 23.7 points, 10.3 assists and 6.7 rebounds in the three full games he played. Barea, normally a backup, has played well lately after stepping in for injured starter Deron Williams. Neither will back down.

DOMINANT THUNDER

The Thunder won all four games against the Mavericks this season, and few are giving Dallas a chance in the series.

"I understand we will be a decided and heavy underdog," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "That's one of the things that makes this situation compelling. We look forward to the challenge."

TEMPO CONTROL

The Mavericks played fast for much of the season, but they slowed it down late and won seven of their final nine games, never allowing more than 98 points in that stretch after allowing more than 100 in 19 of the previous 21 games. The Thunder want to push the ball -- they ranked second in the league with 110.2 points per game.

"This is one of my favorite teams I've ever worked with because they had to do it the hard way," Carlisle said. "They had to do it with a pretty significant style change, some pretty major sacrifices throughout the roster. We had to grind."

COACHING MATCHUP

Carlisle has a championship with the Mavericks and had successful stints in Detroit and Indiana before landing in Dallas. Donovan heads into his first NBA playoff series. Donovan said he's unsure what lies ahead, but he knows pressure from coaching at Florida, where he led the Gators to two national titles.

"A lot of times in college, every game's a game seven. You're dealing with that in the conference tournament, in the NCAA Tournament and sometimes, in a lot of ways, your last five, six, eight games can be like game sevens if you're trying to make the tournament," he said.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody's all like "not it!" on the GDT... I guess I got this one.

Go Mavs!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
41creepingdeath

41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all

We got this one.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

Go Mavs!!! shock them!!!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Before it all goes down, whatever that may be, this season has felt like a chore for this roster with all the battles they've overcome, and I'm so freaking happy they got in. A 6 seed no less! Proved my prediction wrong. I'm just going to cherish Dirk as best as possible and let the chips fall where they may. Mffl let's go dirk.

Let my moaning begin.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Easy win

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Time for our guys to get feisty the right way.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Game 1 - Steal of the Series...
Tonight's Hero Performance - Dirk goes for an MVP performance by scoring 33 points and grabbing 10 rebounds
Tonight's Anti-hero Fail - Westbro tries to dominate the highlights in order to shadow Curry's performance; however, he will force his game but fail miserably against a combination of Wes' defense on him (yes, Wes, not Deron!) and Merji not allowing him to score easy layup baskets. Mavs steal Game 1 from Thumper...

Mavs - 107
Thumper - 105

Old 04-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

All we need is 1 win in OKC and we got a shot to win it in 6. Lets go Mavs!!! The Time is NOW!!!
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Let's go Mavs!!!
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get swept
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Just stay within striking distance til the 4th and we have a decent chance imo.
The one area we have an advantage is coaching which could become a huge factor in the 4th.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #13
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

With Lee not playing game 1 and 2. That means more Powell and some Charlie. It'll all vary how the defense can be feisty making westbrook uncomfortable. I'd even like to see Powell try to guard durant.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Don't get swept
I don't got those rondo vibes from last season feeling it
Old 04-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
With Lee not playing game 1 and 2. That means more Powell and some Charlie. It'll all vary how the defense can be feisty making westbrook uncomfortable. I'd even like to see Powell try to guard durant.
Do you want to see Durant go for 50? I'm pretty sure that's what will happen if Powell tries to guard him.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Do you want to see Durant go for 50? I'm pretty sure that's what will happen if Powell tries to guard him.
Both are about the same size. Except Powell is bigger. Though Powell wont be able to help spread the floor much.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It should mean more Salah.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
It should mean more Salah.
I'm talking PF. Carlisle has put Lee into being Dirk's main backup.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #19
Underdog

Quote:
Salah drilling threes in the pregame shootaround...... Maybe Rick's secret weapon is Mejri/McGee at the 4/5.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Salah drilling threes in the pregame shootaround...... Maybe Rick's secret weapon is Mejri/McGee at the 4/5.
Shit we could even have Dirk at the 3 eh
Old 04-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Quote:
...I mentioned this a few games ago in one of my hallucinations... uhm... I mean, posts...
Old 04-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #22
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Lee was used mainly at center. With Lee out Carlisle doesn't have a vet big that he can throw in over Salah at the C unless he goes completely small.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #23
Underdog

Forget backups, it's the playoffs, baby! You only need about 6 minutes of relief if you can resist playing Dirk at center...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-16-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #24
Underdog

@tim_cato: just watched Dirk and JaVale shoot jumpers standing next to each other and fairly certain I'm experiencing whiplash right now

Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Dirk Nowitzki's age-defying wizardry has been overlooked lately because of Kobe Bryant.

While the basketball world is still buzzing about the 37-year-old Bryant's 60-point outburst against Utah in his final game, Nowitzki, two months older than Bryant, is still playing. He leads the Dallas Mavericks into their first-round Western Conference playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder, with Game 1 on Saturday night.

Nowitzki isn't just still playing at 37 -- he's thriving. He led the Mavericks with 18.3 points per game this season. The league's No. 6 all-time scorer doesn't fire as often as in years past, but he's still dangerous.

"Physically, he would probably tell you he's not where he was five or six years ago, but he's still finding ways to be effective," 35-year-old Thunder forward Nick Collison said. "They're putting teams in really tough binds with how to guard their actions with a lot of the stuff they can do with his skill set. He's a guy I've got a ton of respect for. He's really good, and he's still doing it after all these years."

Nowitzki's shooting touch for a 7-footer poses matchup problems for most teams. Thunder coach Billy Donovan said his knowledge is just as important.

"I think any time, whether it's a Kobe Bryant or a Dirk Nowitzki, guys that have been in the NBA for a long, long time, I think the thing you can never underestimate is their ability and their experience and how many situations these guys have been in, and how they play the game mentally just as much as they play it physically," Donovan said.

Nowitzki has stood in the Thunder's way before: The Mavericks beat Oklahoma City in the 2011 Western Conference finals on their way to the NBA title. The Thunder swept the Mavericks in the first round the next year en route to the NBA Finals.

It's unclear how many more years Nowitzki will play, so Thunder forward Kevin Durant will enjoy the competition while he can.

"Dirk Nowitzki is one of my favorite players to ever play the game, so it's going to be fun playing against him," Durant said.

Here are some things to watch in the series:

THANKFUL DURANT

Kevin Durant bounced back from last year's injury-plagued season to average 28.2 points, a career-high 8.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game this season. The four-time scoring champion reflected this week on what life was like 12 months ago while he was recovering from bone graft surgery on his right foot.

"I remember, this time last year, everybody was going home and I was by myself in here with a cast on," Durant said. "That's all I can remember."

WESTBROOK vs. BAREA

Oklahoma City point guard Russell Westbrook and Dallas point guard J.J. Barea had an altercation during their Jan. 13 game, and Westbrook was ejected. Aside from that matchup, Westbrook dominated the season series, averaging 23.7 points, 10.3 assists and 6.7 rebounds in the three full games he played. Barea, normally a backup, has played well lately after stepping in for injured starter Deron Williams. Neither will back down.

DOMINANT THUNDER

The Thunder won all four games against the Mavericks this season, and few are giving Dallas a chance in the series.

"I understand we will be a decided and heavy underdog," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "That's one of the things that makes this situation compelling. We look forward to the challenge."

TEMPO CONTROL

The Mavericks played fast for much of the season, but they slowed it down late and won seven of their final nine games, never allowing more than 98 points in that stretch after allowing more than 100 in 19 of the previous 21 games. The Thunder want to push the ball -- they ranked second in the league with 110.2 points per game.

"This is one of my favorite teams I've ever worked with because they had to do it the hard way," Carlisle said. "They had to do it with a pretty significant style change, some pretty major sacrifices throughout the roster. We had to grind."

COACHING MATCHUP

Carlisle has a championship with the Mavericks and had successful stints in Detroit and Indiana before landing in Dallas. Donovan heads into his first NBA playoff series. Donovan said he's unsure what lies ahead, but he knows pressure from coaching at Florida, where he led the Gators to two national titles.

"A lot of times in college, every game's a game seven. You're dealing with that in the conference tournament, in the NCAA Tournament and sometimes, in a lot of ways, your last five, six, eight games can be like game sevens if you're trying to make the tournament," he said.
Wow, there's actually some stuff worth reading in there. Love the respect for Dirk, obviously.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
yahyes
Banned

If they can make sure not to leave guys like Waiters or Foye open. Hm..
Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
Underdog

Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
yahyes
Banned

I wouldn't say pick a fight. But I want Zaza to wreck inside knocking fools like ibaka out the way. He gets really obnoxious when he plays us. Even if Zaza gets in foul trouble. We got Mejri/McGee/Powell at the wings
Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Guten Morgen !
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs win. Just wanted you to know.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #31
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Salah the Ballah starting
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #32
yahyes
Banned

Deron is the X factor as far as the offensive side of the ball
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #33
yahyes
Banned

It's time, Dirk!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #34
yahyes
Banned

Need to be constant on offense and pick up the tempo with this starting lineup
Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #35
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Salah starting. Faith restored
Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #36
yahyes
Banned

I think Anderson should have started than JJ
Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #37
DNowitzki41mavs

DNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really niceDNowitzki41mavs is just really nice

great start
Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #38
yahyes
Banned

You see their first punch, Mavs?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
You see their first punch, Mavs?
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." --Mike Tyson

Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #40
yahyes
Banned

Get Dirk involved somehow