Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

God I hope Brunson misses the playoffs and ends up mis?rable.

May Brunson get everything he wants and may it be deeply unsatisfying
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
God I hope Brunson misses the playoffs and ends up mis?rable.

May Brunson get everything he wants and may it be deeply unsatisfying
Why Brunson? Isn?t is Cuban you should be angry with? Don?t get me wrong, I don?t think it was handled with much class by Brunson?s camp but we didn?t extend JB when we had the chance and then low balled him at 21m. Cuban essentially never even made an offer. Maybe JB would?ve stayed if we didn?t offer him 6 million less per season, granted we offered an extra year which may or may not have even been desirable if JB wants to get back to FA sooner. Cuban either can?t or doesn?t want to pay what it takes to keep talent. We lost our second best or 2b behind Dodo, for nothing. It just doesn?t happen that often with well run organizations.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:07 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Why Brunson? Isn?t is Cuban you should be angry with? Don?t get me wrong, I don?t think it was handled with much class by Brunson?s camp but we didn?t extend JB when we had the chance and then low balled him at 21m. Cuban essentially never even made an offer. Maybe JB would?ve stayed if we didn?t offer him 6 million less per season, granted we offered an extra year which may or may not have even been desirable if JB wants to get back to FA sooner. Cuban either can?t or doesn?t want to pay what it takes to keep talent. We lost our second best or 2b behind Dodo, for nothing. It just doesn?t happen that often with well run organizations.
Repeat after me: We. didn't. cheap. out.

He never even met with us. Maybe he would have signed an extension-- but it's probable that he refused and knew he wanted to be with the Knicks.

Jalen WANTED to be with the Knicks even after they missed the playoffs and the Mavs sniffed the finals.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:18 PM   #4
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Repeat after me: We. didn't. cheap. out.

He never even met with us. Maybe he would have signed an extension-- but it's probable that he refused and knew he wanted to be with the Knicks.

Jalen WANTED to be with the Knicks even after they missed the playoffs and the Mavs sniffed the finals.
I took that as Cuban trying to save face. And that he didn?t meet with us because our offer (which someone ?leaked?) was 21.5m per year, if I?m remembering right. Of course it may have been a done deal and no amount of money whipping could?ve kept JB from NY. But finding out we are offering that much less, after shopping him at the deadline and not extending him the summer before? It?s possible he was insulted all the way around. Personally I don?t entirely blame him. If we offered nearly equal or more money and he turned it down? different story. As I see it, Cuban didn?t want to pay that much tax and offered him a deal he couldn?t not refuse.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I took that as Cuban trying to save face. And that he didn?t meet with us because our offer (which someone ?leaked?) was 21.5m per year, if I?m remembering right. Of course it may have been a done deal and no amount of money whipping could?ve kept JB from NY. But finding out we are offering that much less, after shopping him at the deadline and not extending him the summer before? It?s possible he was insulted all the way around. Personally I don?t entirely blame him. If we offered nearly equal or more money and he turned it down? different story. As I see it, Cuban didn?t want to pay that much tax and offered him a deal he couldn?t not refuse.
Was that number accurate though? Could have been spoon fed from Brunson's camp. And even then, the overall offer would have been more because of the five years.

But it didn't matter. He wasn't going to stay regardless of the money. He didn't even give us or Miami a meeting. His dad was hired by them and they cleared the space in a nutty way. The deal was already done before we could even throw out a number. And let's say we offered him the max we could offer. Would you really want to do that when the guy doesn't want to play for you? And even then, he probably turns it down because he wants to be in NY. Might make Cuban look even worse and desperate.

You aren't going to see me defend Cuban as he screws up plenty, but the FO wanted him and Brunson wanted to go to NY. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Was that number accurate though? Could have been spoon fed from Brunson's camp. And even then, the overall offer would have been more because of the five years.

But it didn't matter. He wasn't going to stay regardless of the money. He didn't even give us or Miami a meeting. His dad was hired by them and they cleared the space in a nutty way. The deal was already done before we could even throw out a number. And let's say we offered him the max we could offer. Would you really want to do that when the guy doesn't want to play for you? And even then, he probably turns it down because he wants to be in NY. Might make Cuban look even worse and desperate.

You aren't going to see me defend Cuban as he screws up plenty, but the FO wanted him and Brunson wanted to go to NY. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.
I don?t disagree with any of this. We may never know who leaked the figures. All I know is no one in the Mavs camp denied those numbers. But I agree he wanted NY and was likely to leave no matter what. At the same time it can also be true that Cuban cheaped out and lowballed him, essentially assuring his departure. My reasoning for believing this to be true is we never heard another figure reported and the difference was enough that Cuban could be certain he wouldn?t take the offer. I think the Knicks tampered, Brunson?s camp could?ve handled things better AND Cuban didn?t want to pay that much luxury tax. I think it would?ve been something like between 120-$140 million if I?m remembering right. I think they telegraphed a low number pretty early in the process purposefully. Although plain old incompetence could be or toy to blame too? that they somehow didn?t see the Knicks as a serious threat until it was too late. Even I don?t think Cuban is that big a moron that he thought Jalen would choose Dallas at a starting salary of almost 5 million less per. The extra year might not even be appealing to Jalen. He hits FA again at age 30 after his Knicks deal.

Last edited by mac222b; 09-09-2022 at 08:58 AM.