Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold
Default Experts Predictions East/West

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...sonPredictions

Seventh in the west? Seems about right. Especially since Brand ditched L.A for Philly and the Nuggets gave Camby away for a second rounder. We should be laughing into the seventh or eighth spot.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

The west. This looks about right. The Spurs i keep thinking as they age, they will drop down some but they always prove me wrong, so are they better or about 5th? Not sure but i keep thinking what they have here. Suns are a good regular season team. I think the top 5 are so strong that the Suns would have to puch to break that top 5 and if anything ever happens to Nash, they drop but he seems like an iron man.

This is where it gets sticky. I do see us 7th now but the scarry thing is 7th thru 10th is close and maybe even thru 11th. No room for mistakes between these teams and we happen to be 7th. We have to play big and solid this year to make the playoffs. With a hurt Nash or Phx mishaps, then they could get in that 7th thru 11th with us. I agree with this prediction or very close on all these.

These teams are real mysteries on how they do. Clips, Nugs, Blazers(talented but young), Warriors and maybe the Timbers but they are probably to young to make much noise. Giving away Camby could have been costly to the Nuggs.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

45-37? Seriously?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

The Hornets will not win that many games. They are a good team but they wont do what they did last year. We will win more games, The Suns and Spurs look rite. The suns seem like theyr in a little bit of a mess and Spurs will be fine. But both could end up winning more games. I see us in that 5th spot...possibly better because you never know with the Rockets

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a 11 game swing from first to eight. I guess it seems about right but from about 5 on it could be all flipped around.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

The Hornets will not win tht many games. We will win more then they think. The Spurs and Suns could also win more and you never know with the Rockets.

I see us in about the 5th spot or better because yo never know with the Rockets.

Mavs 54-28

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
The Hornets will not win that many games. They are a good team but they wont do what they did last year. We will win more games, The Suns and Spurs look rite. The suns seem like theyr in a little bit of a mess and Spurs will be fine. But both could end up winning more games. I see us in that 5th spot...possibly better because you never know with the Rockets

I don't see why NO will drop dramatically, unless the injuries come around this year to make up for a relatively clean prior season. It's not like a lot of teams can make them struggle dramatically in games. They also got a nice addition in Posey.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I don't see why NO will drop dramatically, unless the injuries come around this year to make up for a relatively clean prior season. It's not like a lot of teams can make them struggle dramatically in games. They also got a nice addition in Posey.
I am not saying they will drop dramatically, but I believe they will drops lets say 3-4 games..which will land them lower. IMO theres no way they finish 2nd. Our division will have 4 playoff teams. Its really hard to pick the order. I dont think the Mavs will win it, but I think they will have a better record then the other 2.

........GO MAVS
Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41

Seventh in the west? Seems about right. Especially since Brand ditched L.A for Philly and the Nuggets gave Camby away for a second rounder. We should be laughing into the seventh or eighth spot.
Because the Rockets usually own the Hornets (and I say we're better on paper), I would put the Rockets at #2 ahead of New Orleans and the Rockets winning the Southwest Division.

Quote:
The Hornets will not win tht many games. We will win more then they think. The Spurs and Suns could also win more and you never know with the Rockets.

I see us in about the 5th spot or better because yo never know with the Rockets.

Mavs 54-28
LOL, how can you say this? The Rockets were better than the Mavs last year, without a strong acquisition like Ron Artest. With who we have now, and who the Mavs have, there is no where the Mavs finish better than 5th. I say the Mavs will land in the 6th or 7th spot.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 08-30-2008 at 11:53 AM.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Ming and McGrady are both going to get injured and Artest is going to punch Ming's translater in the face for looking at him, so I see the Rockets massively underachieving like usual. (not like the mavs haven't underachieved the past couple years, but still Houston is way more notorious for it.)
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I am not saying they will drop dramatically, but I believe they will drops lets say 3-4 games..which will land them lower. IMO theres no way they finish 2nd. Our division will have 4 playoff teams. Its really hard to pick the order. I dont think the Mavs will win it, but I think they will have a better record then the other 2.

3 from that projection? Because if that's the case, I would say that's a dramatic difference from being the 2 seed vs the 5.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'll end up 5th.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
Because the Rockets usually own the Hornets (and I say we're better on paper), I would put the Rockets at #2 ahead of New Orleans and the Rockets winning the Southwest Division.

LOL, how can you say this? The Rockets were better than the Mavs last year, without a strong acquisition like Ron Artest. With who we have now, and who the Mavs have, there is no where the Mavs finish better than 5th. I say the Mavs will land in the 6th or 7th spot.
Because for the Rockets to finish up 2nd or 3rd even with addition of Ron things will have to go real smooth. And we know T Mac and Yao have had trouble staying on the court. I actually liked the Rockets before the Ron trade...I still like T Mac...but things still have to go perfect for them. I say The Lakers get the #1 spot..and Utah gets the 2 or 3...other then that its all a guessing game and So I think The Mavs will ladn anywhere between 4 and 7...

........GO MAVS
Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:

The Mavs will have the second best record in the SW..putting them either in 4th or 5th

........GO MAVS
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
I think we'll end up 5th.
5-7, that's the range. I wanna see some games first and then really get a feel for the team.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Mavs will have the second best record in the SW..putting them either in 4th or 5th
How do you see the Mavs having the second best record in the SW? How do you see the Mavs doing better than the Rockets and even Spurs next year, when the Mavs were behind both teams last year and made no worthy offseason acquisitions? You can't totally bank on the Rockets having injuries. The Rockets lost Yao for a third of the season, and still were only 2 games out of first place in the West. The way I see it:

1. Lakers/Rockets (toss up)
3. Hornets
4. Jazz (win their division)
5. Spurs (better record than the Jazz)
6. Mavs/Suns (toss up)
8. Portland
Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think the Mavs and Spurs (and Suns) could be on par with each other, but there's still no way we're getting 2nd in the SW division, it's going to be NO and Housten. Yao and Mcgrady may be made of glass but Artest is pretty solid and their defense is going to be ridiculous. Ask the Spurs, Pistons, and Celtics what a good defensive team is capable of...

You know they still haven't made it out of the first round with Tmac though... just throwing it out there.

Last edited by Tokey41; 08-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

But TMAC now has Artest. Health is the Rockets' only concern (as always). With Artest now here, some of the load will be taken off of McGrady and Yao. In other words, more rest and less stress for those two.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
How do you see the Mavs having the second best record in the SW? How do you see the Mavs doing better than the Rockets and even Spurs next year, when the Mavs were behind both teams last year and made no worthy offseason acquisitions? You can't totally bank on the Rockets having injuries. The Rockets lost Yao for a third of the season, and still were only 2 games out of first place in the West. The way I see it:

3. Hornets
4. Jazz (win their division)
5. Spurs (better record than the Jazz)
6. Mavs/Suns (toss up)
8. Portland
I am not having the Mavs ahead of Rockets..I have the Hornets dropping of a few games and soo I have the Mavs ahead of the Hornets and Spur...not by much or anything. Within 1-2 games

........GO MAVS
Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

No picks up maybe the best defensive player in the nba. Artest and Bowen might say wait a min, i am. Nobody shuts down Kobe or makes him take bad shots but Posey can and does at times. He also knocks down game winning 3's. If any knock, he gets hurt at times. This was a huge pick up and only helps them. Brown was a good pick up. Ryan Bowen, more defense. Wright gets worked in and more time and they have a very good make up just built for Chris Paul. Paul is great and you can not stop his penetration and i mean he can do it from the foul line, full court or at the basket and it makes all the players on his team much better than they have ever been. This team is good and the only bad that can happen to them is if they lose Paul and yes they can contend to win the west.

Lakers, they needed more than Kobe and Posey made it very tough on him. Gasol wasn't consistent against Boston. They need a big huge man that dunks on everyone and is consistent in the middle. I think this man can be Bynum and in return makes Gasol even better. Gasol is very good but he needs to be very good every night against very good teams. The Lakers pick up a guard that is like 6'9" from China. I am not sure if he is any good. The Lakers are solid and can very easily win the west. With Bynum also, then they should be able to compete for a title. They need to keep Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and Odom healthy and train one guy for Fishers place that is good. Fisher is solid but they need another solid at the position.

Houston is stacked. Now if they lose a player they have more to fill in. Watch out for a rookie you have not heard of named Joey Dorsey. Houston is going to love him at 6'9" rocking the rims. These three teams are so good it is scarry. Pick anyone of them first and i have no complaint. Remember, No did go out and get a Kobe stopper. Let's also remember Artest is great on defense also and scores. If Houston stays healthy they could very easily win a title. Barry could help knock down a three.

Utah. This team took a differ approach and has went with a bunch of 7 feet monsters. If these guys pan out, watch out you top three because this team could possibly win it. Korver is really good but do they have another to count on knocking down the long shot? Besides the pg. This team now needs to go out and get another Korver to come off the bench. Watch out for all these 7 feet guys they just got and see if they flop or make it. That depends if they crack those top 3 and maybe one more shooter. This team is good and like Paul, this pg is really good.

Spurs. You just can't count these guys out because the coach they have is worth about 5 points per game. He is great. They keep getting older. They even pick up an older Kurt Thomas and yes he plays Spurs basketball but this team is getting age. They can't win without Gino or beat the elite without him. How hurt is Gino? Yes this team is great but look above them at how youthful and good these teams above them are. It will be a great task for the Spurs to win it this time but never say never to them.

Phx. Again Nash needs to be a superman. He can't get hurt. Can these Lopez pan out? They need him bad. Matt Barnes will be good in the open court for Nash but Barnes must get back to where he knocks down the open shot. Can he consistent? I see Phx on our level. Those other 4 or maybe 5 with Spurs are in a diifer league. Phx and Mavs are close to the same. One good thing with the Mavs, maybe hey can play defense again and compete with off nights where Phx must have offense. The west got to good way to fast and now Nash has missed out on ever winning a nba title. Now it won't happen with Phx. If anything happens to Nash anytime, Phx drops big time.

Dallas. We do have size but we like to stand still. Maybe Green helps, hopefully Singleton. Maybe Wright helps us. Diop will help us on defense again and this year a middle man is valued very much with all the layups and dunks comming in the west this year. If Kidd can get some youth back, knock down the outside shot because teams are going to make him shoot, this team could possibly move up. If again we make Eddie Jones, Stckhouse, George the stars and go to men and if our coach can't handle Howard and if Josh decides he just wants to be a Stackhouse, we drop out the top 8. I can see Dallas anywhere from 5 to 8 but if Phx and Dallas gets hurt or plays wrong, both can drop out of the top 8.

It is about 3 or 4 more teams, that possibly has a say so from 6 to 8 as well. Most are a mystery but could slip in. Portland can be interesting.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

haha I love seeing Rockets fans get their hopes up like this. learn from the past.. you don't see any of us claiming we'll be 1st or 2nd in the west because we have completely underachieved the past couple years so we realize that won't happen. You guys on the other hand have underachieved for 5+ years yet you still think that THIS is the year that McGrady will finally get out of the first round.

This will be fun to watch.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
haha I love seeing Rockets fans get their hopes up like this. learn from the past.. you don't see any of us claiming we'll be 1st or 2nd in the west because we have completely underachieved the past couple years so we realize that won't happen. You guys on the other hand have underachieved for 5+ years yet you still think that THIS is the year that McGrady will finally get out of the first round.

This will be fun to watch.
The more you bang your head against the same wall, the less likely you'll have the mental clarity to realize this is not a good way to get past the wall.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

not sure if that was a shot against me or guerillablack but I like it either way
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

It was most assuredly a jab at all Rockettes and their optimistic fans.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

i wouldn't be surprised if the hornets finished 1st in the western conference.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #26
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers, Hornets or Rockets finished first in the Western Conference.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #27
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

what's my prediction in the west?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Mr. T looks like Baron Davis.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #29
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Copyright craggmac.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #30
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

Copyright craggmac.
because he terrorized the Mavs ; ) while he was in GS..

........GO MAVS
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #31
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Nice.

And by the way, Baron Davis is still a terrorist... even though he doesn't play for the Warriors anymore.

Last edited by craggmac; 09-01-2008 at 10:30 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote