Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Ok, but why does it matter that he's a better scorer than Marion? So is Josh. The point is that the team already has two people playing a lot of minutes whose primary contribution is defense. Kidd is another player who brings quality defense.

This team's biggest need is offense, not defense. So I don't see the focus on Iguodala. He would represent a very marginal improvement offensively.

Iggy is just the better player. Martin is injury prone and is more of a risk to not fit in well here. You see what is happening with RJ over in SA, that could happen with Kmart. I could just see him not gelling well with this team.
Iggy is always going to be able to play defense and finish on the break no matter what system he is in. I would like both, because both are better than Josh, but if I had to choose one give me Iggy

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Iggy is just the better player. Martin is injury prone and is more of a risk to not fit in well here. You see what is happening with RJ over in SA, that could happen with Kmart. I could just see him not gelling well with this team.
Iggy is always going to be able to play defense and finish on the break no matter what system he is in. I would like both, because both are better than Josh, but if I had to choose one give me Iggy
I probably agree that Iguodala might be the slightly better player overall. But Kevin Martin is one of the best pure scorers in the NBA. And he's not just a scorer, he's a very pure shooter. I can't imagine why he would have difficulty fitting into any offense. Comparing him to Richard Jefferson doesn't make any sense.

Defense and finishing on the break is not what we need. We need a real, true second scoring option.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I probably agree that Iguodala might be the slightly better player overall. But Kevin Martin is one of the best pure scorers in the NBA. And he's not just a scorer, he's a very pure shooter. I can't imagine why he would have difficulty fitting into any offense. Comparing him to Richard Jefferson doesn't make any sense.

Defense and finishing on the break is not what we need. We need a real, true second scoring option.
agree 100%

I would love to have either Iggy or Martin on this team. Iggy is reliable, and a great slashing/finisher. In addition, Iggy is great on defense, and the defensive capabilities of Kidd, Marion, and Iggy makes me drool.

HOWEVER

I think Martin is the player that puts this team over the top, potentially. He is one of the purest scorers I have seen outside of the obvious top 4. He is a great shooter, and provides the 3 point shooting that this team needed even when Jet was shooting well with Josh healthy, and this team ESPECIALLY needs that 3 point shooting now. Couple that with the rest of his offensive skills and I think this is a championship caliber team. I also think that, under Carlisle, Kmart would DEFINITELY step up his defense. And a starting 5 of Kidd, Kmart, Marion, Dirk, and Damp I think brings one of the best starting 5's in basketball
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Iggy is just a better overall package.

He missed 6 games in 5,5 years, thats huge. You need to play 100+ games to win the title, i just dont see it with Kevin Martin. Same with Yao, McGrady or Baron, you dont win titles with such players because there is always a huge chance they are going down.

So Martin can score at will. Iggy gives you 10 points less, but WAY better defense, rebouding and passing. We all throw up watching Terry and Barea together at defense, it will be the same with Terry-Martin.

I take durability, rebounding, passing and matching with Terry over better scoring any day. You have Dirk and with Terry and Iggy two 18 points guy and a kickass defense. If you get Martin you get 25 points but how much more your opponent scores with Martin instead of Iggy? A lot...

And if we get Martin and then Bosh with the Dustchip its 2004 all over. Incredible offense and horrible defense. I prefer to become the Pistons than the Suns. Pistons won the title.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-22-2010 at 04:38 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Iggy is just a better overall package.

He missed 6 games in 5,5 years, thats huge. You need to play 100+ games to win the title, i just dont see it with Kevin Martin. Same with Yao, McGrady or Baron, you dont win titles with such players because there is always a huge chance they are going down.

So Martin can score at will. Iggy gives you 10 points less, but WAY better defense, rebouding and passing. We all throw up watching Terry and Barea together at defense, it will be the same with Terry-Martin.

I take durability, rebounding, passing and matching with Terry over better scoring any day.

And if we get Martin and then Bosh with the Dustchip its 2004 all over. Incredible offense and horrible defense. I prefer to become the Pistons than the Suns. Pistons won the title.
Your comparisons are utterly ridiculous. Martin is in NO way comparable to Yao, McGrady, or Baron. Martin is still young, we don't know what path his career will take yet, there is always the chance that he will gain weight and become less injury prone. Martin allows us to have an absolutely DOMINANT, UNSTOPPABLE offensive team, while still maintaining defense with Ross, Marion, Kidd, and Damp. Martin is EXACTLY what this team needs. And even if we got Bosh, we would be in no way comparable to the Suns when they were at their height. First of all, the Mavs with Bosh and Martin would be FAR more talented in all aspects of the game, PG aside, than the Suns ever were, or will be.

Please watch basketball for awhile longer before even beginning to allude to the comparisons you just made.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforlife09 View Post
Your comparisons are utterly ridiculous. Martin is in NO way comparable to Yao, McGrady, or Baron. Martin is still young, we don't know what path his career will take yet, there is always the chance that he will gain weight and become less injury prone. Martin allows us to have an absolutely DOMINANT, UNSTOPPABLE offensive team, while still maintaining defense with Ross, Marion, Kidd, and Damp. Martin is EXACTLY what this team needs. And even if we got Bosh, we would be in no way comparable to the Suns when they were at their height. First of all, the Mavs with Bosh and Martin would be FAR more talented in all aspects of the game, PG aside, than the Suns ever were, or will be.

Please watch basketball for awhile longer before even beginning to allude to the comparisons you just made.
I pretty sure i watched more games than you in the last years.

Martin is young AND allready injury plaged. Thats also a result of his game, reckless driving into the paint. He is just a player you cant rely on and with that he is in the same category than a McGrady or Baron. And we need to rely on the health of an important player or its Josh 2.0 all over.

And yes, i still like my Suns comparison. Sure we would have a higher talent level but guess what, everyone else got way better sine the "Suns" years (Lakers, Magic etc).

But again: I take Martin in a trade, of course.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
I see your point, but Iggy excels mostly when you're running. But Kmart takes his man and gets to the line in the half court as well. How do you generate offense with Iggy come playoffs when most good teams lock down and play Lock down, grind it out half court D.

On the flip side, you could also argue how do you lock down teams in the half court with a SG that doesn't play applaudible D as in Kmarts case.

It's a give and take. If you look at Kmarts numbers, this guy has multiple games where he lights several contending teams up for absurd numbers

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 01-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote