Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default I haven't heard much about anything on this.

No one can question Mark's and the Mavs generosity but I haven't heard much about what they are doing with regards to the Tsunami victims.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:I haven't heard much about anything on this.

Ideally charity should be kept private in order to avoid aggrandizement of the charitable person. Hopefully Mark has made considerable donations and kept them to himself.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I understand that of course. I was just thinking the Mavs would come up with some fun way to raise money like for ever time they score over a hundred, they donate all $10,000 to the Tsunami victims. I'm sure Mark donated in private but I thought the Mavs would do something fun. In any case, have you heard of them doing anything with regards to this?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Ideally charity should be kept private in order to avoid aggrandizement of the charitable person. Hopefully Mark has made considerable donations and kept them to himself.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Mark's money is his. He earned it and he can do anything he wants with it.

That being said, knowing Mark's history of generosity toward worthy causes, I am sure he has done more than his fair share to contribute to the Tsunami relief effort.

{EDIT: Sorry Simon2, I jumped the gun. You're right, a fun promotional effort would be cool while Mark makes his personal donations in private}
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: I haven't heard much about anything on this.

Real charity shouldn't be flaunted or used for publicity, nor should it be expected of someone who has money.

That's what makes it charity.

That said, if Mark donated money, more power to him...but he shouldn't be expected to make a media event out of it and I won't hold my breath waiting for him to do so.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I haven't heard a thing also. It wouldn't surprise if they've donated already just didn't do it publicly but yea it would be nice to see like every point they score they donate a certain amount or something along those lines.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
I understand that of course. I was just thinking the Mavs would come up with some fun way to raise money like for ever time they score over a hundred, they donate all $10,000 to the Tsunami victims. I'm sure Mark donated in private but I thought the Mavs would do something fun. In any case, have you heard of them doing anything with regards to this?

Quote:
I agree-- that's a good idea. I'm sometimes cynical about charitable promotional events, because sometimes I think they're a convenient way to sell things, but money raised is money raised. It's a very good idea. I haven't heard of anything planned, though. They have several charity projects noted on their website, but nothing regarding the tragedy in Asia.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Strongly disagree.

Charity should be made public. Of course not to give the donor a better image but to set an example 1. for his/her peers and 2. for all the other ordinary people.

If Sandra Bullock donates 1 million for the tsunami relief effort that is great news because it shows that the rich DO care (sometimes) and other celebrities should feel encouraged to follow her example and spend the next million not on a yacht but maybe on giving money to UNICEF.

If Schumacher donates 10 million dollars (which is probably <u>10%</u> of his yearly income) we all should feel encouraged to think about donating 1% of our yearly income (or less or more or whatever we can afford).

The children in Indonesia and Sri Lanka won't suffer because of the aggrandizement of the charitable person...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Schumacher is a real class act.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Schumacher made about $80 million a year. I think he has made,with endorsements and all, over $120 million/year in years before.

I don't think it's any harm mentioning you donated.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Mark must have other charities he is supporting like the Soilders fund etc...
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

You don't have to tell the world you donated money to be a good person. I find no reason to say a word about donating money. Everyone has their preference, and the only person that's right is me.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
You don't have to tell the world you donated money to be a good person. I find no reason to say a word about donating money. Everyone has their preference, and the only person that's right is me.
Once a pair of announcers on a national broadcasting were raising funds and stuff for victims of a disaster, one of them said "don't donate what you don't like or use, it wouldn't be meaningful [or something similar]...". Many times we forget that the donations are intended for the victims, not for the donators.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wait, why is it wrong to donate something you don't like or use? someone else could get a use out of it.

unless you are disagreeing with the announcers' statements, chiwas. i couldn't tell, what with the broken english and all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. (Thankfully my awful english can still be decoded, sort of. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]).

They were putting conditions to the donations.