Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Problem is he got hurt at the worst possible time, and that matters. A healthy KP might get us a game 7 which is the only chance you can ask for. If you look at how badly Denver got their asses beat by the Clips, then you can see the Mavs are better than they should be.
Yeah.

Ultimately with KP on the roster you'd want to have a team so good built around him that you wouldn't mind missing him for huge swaths of the playoffs, but if you're building a team where he's just gravy, then why is he getting the max.

Also by getting the max for a guy who plays only 60% of each season and 50% of each playoff, you're really preventing yourself from building that team that is so good that he's just a bonus.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - Nash asked Dirk to join him on the coaching staff of the Nets. Dirk declined

https://www.radio.com/1053thefan/spo...jRvIv8-fA_Yqgs
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
OMG - Nash asked Dirk to join him on the coaching staff of the Nets. Dirk declined

i guess they're still buds? that's nice.

But no way - get your hands off Dirk. he belongs in Big D and with the Mavs.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
But no way - get your hands off Dirk. he belongs in Big D and with the Mavs.
That was my first thought
Old 09-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #5
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

Nash as head coach with Dirk as his assistant would be an absolute wet dream of mine. I don't care if it's not for the Mavs. That's Cuban's fault for not seeing this before someone else. Honestly fuck Cuban for not seeing this before someone else.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Nash as head coach with Dirk as his assistant would be an absolute wet dream of mine. I don't care if it's not for the Mavs. That's Cuban's fault for not seeing this before someone else. Honestly fuck Cuban for not seeing this before someone else.
Wet dream would consist of replacing Rick with Nash/Dirk? Even for nostalgic purposes, Rick actually won a championship with us and has been here over 2x as long.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Wet dream would consist of replacing Rick with Nash/Dirk? Even for nostalgic purposes, Rick actually won a championship with us and has been here over 2x as long.
I didn’t say it was smart. Just that I want to see it. Even if it doesn’t happen in Dallas.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #8
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
is either a better coach than Carlisle? Probably not....
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #9
FreshJive
Diamond Member

So I guess KP is just too tall to play basketball, then.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
So I guess KP is just too tall to play basketball, then.
Did you know that 143 players have played 1000 games or more in the NBA?

Guess how many players have been 6'0" and played 1000 or more games?

ZERO

There have only been 2 players under 6' who have played 1000 games. There have only been 15 players TOTAL who are 6'2" or shorter who have played 1000 games and I bet there have been THOUSANDS of them who have played in the history of the NBA

There have only been 26 players that were 7'3" or more to EVER play in the NBA so its not surprising that one of them hasn't played 1000 games

And being 7'3" isn't the life threatening curse that many make it out to be. There have been 15 players 7'0" or taller who have played 1000 games plus an additional 15 players who were 6'11"
Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Also by getting the max for a guy who plays only 60% of each season and 50% of each playoff, you're really preventing yourself from building that team that is so good that he's just a bonus.
But you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you don't give him the max, someone else almost certainly will, and then you're stuck with nothing. Honestly I think this is the single biggest problem with the NBA- the fact that there's no real sanity to the free agent market. There's just too many teams and not enough impact players to go around, so every halfway decent player gets the max.

I honestly don't know if there's a way to fix it, but I do think it exacerbates the problem that a max contract becomes an albatross on your roster the moment that player isn't playing like a star anymore. I don't like that the system punishes teams so heavily for giving out max contracts when the market is so wacky that you absolutely have to give out max contracts to stay remotely competitive. I think it would make the product a lot better if the league made it easier to move max contracts off the books if a team decides it's in their interest to do so. Bill Simmons had an idea a while back that I thought was really intriguing- make it so that trades only require salaries to match up within 50% instead of 90%. That way nobody is untraceable.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote