Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all
Default California lawmaker proposes no-spanking law

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A California lawmaker says she has proposed a law that would make spanking a small child a crime to be punished by jail time or a fine.
ADVERTISEMENT

The bill, backed by Democrat Sally Lieber of San Francisco, a member of the state legislature, would outlaw spanking children three years old or younger and carry a possible penalty of jail time or a 1,000-dollar fine.

"I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child three years old or younger," said Lieber, who plans to introduce the bill next week.

The bill, which was still being drafted, would make the crime a misdemeanor and be written to ban "any striking of a child, any corporal punishment, smacking, hitting, punching, any of that," Lieber said.

The bill will likely pit those who advocate protecting children at all costs against lawmakers wary of government intervention creating a possible meddlesome "nanny state."

"Where do you stop?" said Republican Chuck Devore. "At what point are we going to say we should pass a bill that every parent has to read a minimum of 30 minutes every night to their child? This is right along those same lines."

California Governor
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has the authority to veto the bill if it is adopted, has so far avoided endorsing or rejecting the idea.

In an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, which first reported the proposal this week, the film-star-turned-politician said he was "smacked about everything" during his childhood in Austria.

"That was the way Austria worked," he told the newspaper. "You know, I think it maybe had something to do with after the war. People were maybe more angry and more frustrated, you know, having lost the war or whatever else."

The governor said he understood the desire to "get rid of the physical, the brutal behavior that some parents have."

And he added that he and his wife, Maria Shriver, have never hit their four children. "Absolutely not," he said.
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Most people my age were probably spanked, beaten, whipped, lashed, etc.. by their Dad or Mom for punishment at a certain degree of offense. Hell, if I got it at school, I could count on another one, no questions asked to the teacher when I got home. It was just the way things were then. Maybe, it effected my self-esteem, maybe I would have been more well adjusted now if I was put in time out or just looked at with pure disappointment. Who really is normal that you know? Regardless, I do know I won't be laying a hand on my child. We know too much about the possible effects it may cause in the development of a child.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

My parents spanked me, but it backfired. By age six I was into heavy bondage. My teachers would paddle me, and I would say "Thank you Mistress may I have another." They only ever spanked me once. Wonder why?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

haha, i got spanked a lot
Old 01-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I was spanked growing when I was younger, but not very severly. I don't think it had any negative effects on me. I hate the argument that "it teaches kids violence" because violent video games are much worse. The other argument is you lose trust for your parents, but I actually think it helps teach you right and wrong, obedience, and respect for your parents. I have no problem with it for kids about 2-10 and I think this law is pretty stupid.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

yeah there was nothing wrong w/ me being spanked. i think the key for me was my parents never did it when angry, and i always knew they loved me. in that context, i see nothing wrong with spanking. physical punishment can turn nasty when tempers are involved though

this law is ridiculous, if that lady represented me, id go spank my kids on her lawn
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
yeah there was nothing wrong w/ me being spanked. i think the key for me was my parents never did it when angry, and i always knew they loved me. in that context, i see nothing wrong with spanking. physical punishment can turn nasty when tempers are involved though
Yeah, it's important for them to do it consistently when there is a legit reason and to make sure the kids still realize they love them and are just trying to protect them and teach them obedience. When tempers are involved though, you are right, it can turn nasty. That's why I think it's best to just spank kids from ages 2 to 10 because then they don't really have a huge temper and don't mouth off to the parents as much as long as they are being raised correctly.

Quote:
this law is ridiculous, if that lady represented me, id go spank my kids on her lawn
Lol! Brilliant

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 01-20-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Come on, you guys are smarter than that. Spank your kids on someone's lawn? Hopefully, you are kidding.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Come on, you guys are smarter than that. Spank your kids on someone's lawn? Hopefully, you are kidding.
I definetly think he is, and I just found it funny, I never said it'd be a thing I'd do.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

yeah, that was a joke, lol. did you know in sweden its illegal to hit your children, even if its spanking. some friends of our lived over their and the neighbors called the cops when the guy spanked his kid for stealing something
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's why I think it's best to just spank kids from ages 2 to 10 because then they don't really have a huge temper and don't mouth off to the parents
We must not hang out with the same 2-10 year old kids

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I don't know about that, look at how many of them hang out on this board

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Spare the rod spoil the child.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Haha, well the ones I've seen for the most part don't have real bad tempers to the point where "tempers would be involved" like BlueVan was saying.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I just know I used to talk back a lot as a child when I was getting punished. And my sister was about 10x worse. Her blowups are legendary around our house.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

no no, i meant the PARENT'S tempers. thats when things get bad, when parent's lose their cool. kids...theyre kids, i mean c'mon
Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I got beaten like red headed rented mule step child when i was little. JK. I did get spankings though and they were painful. I also had the same rule about spankings at school and then at home. My kids are getting spankings when they do something wrong too. Did spankings hurt? Yes. Did they make me mad at my parents? Yes. Did they generally make me not do whatever I had done that led to the spankings again? Pretty much no I didnt do it again.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #18
Nemesis
Diamond Member

You can accomplish the same effect on children w/o physical harm, IMO.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can accomplish the same effect on children w/o physical harm, IMO.
Got any? Sometimes my kiddo's needed and asked for a spanking, they got it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
no no, i meant the PARENT'S tempers. thats when things get bad, when parent's lose their cool. kids...theyre kids, i mean c'mon
Oh, I thought you meant both the parents and the kids.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

ok, i know FOR A FACT that spanking was the only way to keep me from doing some of the stuff i did. i'll spank my kids, but only if its really really necessary
Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, grounding or time out or stern looks just dont have the same effect as a spanking does.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #23
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

another thing, back when spanking was acceptable/expected, were people worse or angrier? i doesnt really seem so

americans are growing up to be wusses
Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #24
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
yeah, grounding or time out or stern looks just don't have the same effect as a spanking does.
Of course! But, spanking works short-term and will cause shame to the child long-term. An alternative I can suggest (and you can do your own research) is discipline through positive reinforcement. All those you listed above are not positive reinforcement. Some of those may be appropriate, but putting fear in a child through physical harm will only make the child scared to do whatever they got spanked for-->in front of you.

I was punished just like you. It doesn't make it right.

I think I might have been lucky, my Dad didn't spank me until he had calmed down. Most aren't that lucky. They get spanked at the height of frustration.. I can't even bare the thought of that.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #25
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
another thing, back when spanking was acceptable/expected, were people worse or angrier? i doesnt really seem so

americans are growing up to be wusses
Ok, I know you aren't kidding here. So, because americans don't think beating their children is acceptable practice, we are "wusses"? Did you think about that before you wrote it? Do you think that kids that have been whipped are tougher than kids who aren't? What is your reasoning here.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

umm my parents spanked me when they were pissed and i honestly think im a better person for it(not so much the when they were pissed part but the spanking in general part) I dont think there is a right or a wrong answer to this. I do also think that there is a time when it needs to stop. Past the age of 12 its not really a viable option.

edit- also spanking doesnt equal beating and you know it. To equate the two is assinine and foolish.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 01-21-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #27
Nemesis
Diamond Member

There is most definitely a right answer. There is no fence to stand on here.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #28
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I say we take this issue to the streets. Next time you see someone's kid acting up, and the parents ignoring it. Spank the brat, then spank the parent.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Spank 'em. It works. Although I see no need to spank someone under the age of 3. That can be reasonably argued.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:22 AM   #30
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... spanking would only work if the child knew and understood why they were getting that punishment. I don't really have an issue with this law.

I don't spank my children. I can't imagine (don't want to imagine) what they would have to do to warrant a spanking.... In other words I'm not opposed to it, but it would have to be an extreme case.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #31
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who really is normal that you know? Regardless, I do know I won't be ...
heh heh. This made me laugh. Most people are normal. By definition.

I hate the argument that spanking doesn't work with a 2 year old because they won't know what they are getting spanked for. Everyone uses basic reinforcement principles with a 2 year old. 2 year olds aren't stupid. Heck, if reward and punishment work with sea slugs, why not a 2 year old?

I also hate the argument that spanking causes long term shame. Sticking someone in a corner without their PS3 will cause long term shame if everyone in society says that that's abusive. And it will cause a heck of a lot more problems than shame if someday kids are allowed to call the cops when their parents stick them in a corner without their PS3.

And I hate the argument that it teaches violence. Kids know the difference between the role of a parent and the role of a child (at least they should if we continue to make those distinctions part of their lives). Kids aren't stupid. Just because they see a parent doing something doesn't mean they'll want to do it later. How many teenagers put on a suit and tie, grab a briefcase, and drive off to work because they saw Daddy do it every day while they were younger? How many kids vacuum the living room, reshingle the roof, or mow the lawn just because they see their parents do chores? And those are things we'd want our kids to do. THose are things we encourage kids to do.

The worst part of the law is that it takes parenting out of the parents hands. Beating/abuse/etc. is already against the law. Laws like the one proposed are not about leaving bruises or drawing blood, or causing long term shame. Things like that are already illegal. Under the proposed law, would any swat on the butt or a slap on the wrist be illegal? Some people would like to make that a matter of putting the kids in foster care, and the parents in jail, and letting a court judge decide. This is about spanking, and is part of an agenda to outlaw spanking in all situations, with kids of any age.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 01-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #32
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
The worst part of the law is that it takes parenting out of the parents hands. Beating/abuse/etc. is already against the law. Laws like the one proposed are not about leaving bruises or drawing blood, or causing long term shame. Things like that are already illegal. Under the proposed law, would any swat on the butt or a slap on the wrist be illegal? Some people would like to make that a matter of putting the kids in foster care, and the parents in jail, and letting a court judge decide. This is about spanking, and is part of an agenda to outlaw spanking in all situations, with kids of any age.
absolutely. the law is extending the role of the state too far into parenting.

never spanked my kids. they did some things that could have resulted in spanking, but I'm against it. hard to convince me that the message the kid gets- violence is the solution to the issue- isn't absorbed by the child.

the kids behavior can be corrected without it.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #33
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

there is a WORLD of difference between beating and spanking. i would never ever ever beat my kids, but if necessary, i would spank them. it all depends on the attitude the parent has and how they go about disciplining the child.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #34
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

perhaps a lot of behavior can be corrected without it. my parents used it as a last resort, not a first impulse

like i said, my sisters NEVER got spanked, they didnt habitually act up the way i did
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #35
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
absolutely. the law is extending the role of the state too far into parenting.

never spanked my kids. they did some things that could have resulted in spanking, but I'm against it. hard to convince me that the message the kid gets- violence is the solution to the issue- isn't absorbed by the child.

the kids behavior can be corrected without it.
Working in the public school system at both high and low social economic districts, I learned that parents in part expect teachers to raise their kids. So maybe the line is blurred here.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #36
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

California lawmaker proposes no-spanking law

oh...no spanking kids....i thought it meant something else.

nevermind
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Is such a law constitutional? I'm not convinced it is. You are telling parents how to raise their kids.

Beatings and abuse are already illegal. To say that you have a need to ban spankings, because you dont want kids to get abused, is a devious lie. Let me raise my kids and get your nose out of my home, big brother.

If kids are old enough to understand right and wrong and what they are being told to do, spankings can at times make sense. When my son was 2, he was playing with the electric socket. He knew he was told not to do it. He did it anyhow, until his hand got swatted a couple times. Then he promptly decided he needed to stop. Should I have used a less immediately persuasive method? In that case, I dont think so. But that was a spank, on the hand. Illegal, says this busybody of a legislator.

And once you get this law on the books, it will inevitably become onerous to deal with for a parent trying to do the right thing. The burden (legal and financial) shifts onto the parent to prove to prying (but now legally empowered) outsiders that they are being perfect parents. The state ends up second guessing everything.

Leave parents alone and trust them. Of all the decision makers in the world, its the parents, who love those kids, that are most likely to make the wisest decisions - but second guessing butt-inskys will always think they know better. Go away.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Is such a law constitutional? I'm not convinced it is. You are telling parents how to raise their kids.
I don't think it is.

Quote:
Beatings and abuse are already illegal. To say that you have a need to ban spankings, because you dont want kids to get abused, is a devious lie. Let me raise my kids and get your nose out of my home, big brother.
Exactly. Raising the child is the province, right and responsibility of the parent, NOT the government. We already have limitations that protect the children from physical or mental abuse. Telling me what methods of discipline are acceptable is another thing entirely.

Quote:
Leave parents alone and trust them. Of all the decision makers in the world, its the parents, who love those kids, that are most likely to make the wisest decisions - but second guessing butt-inskys will always think they know better. Go away.
Spot on. This all comes back to some legislator who thinks he knows better than the parents do about how to raise their kids. I'm sorry, but it's none of his business, and as a parent I am a heck of a lot more concerned about my child's welfare than anybody else (except God) ever will be.