Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 05-01-2002, 09:09 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

LINK

Aikman getting No. 1 job at Fox
Ex-QB joining Fox's top booth; Summerall close on Cowboys-heavy deal

05/02/2002

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News

Troy Aikman officially ascends to Fox's lead NFL broadcasting team on Thursday, a network source speaking on the condition of anonymity said Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Pat Summerall, moved off of Fox's No. 1 team following the Super Bowl, said he is close to a deal with the network that would allow him to work mostly Cowboys games next season.

"I have pretty well settled in my mind that this is what I want to do," Summerall said.

Aikman and fellow analyst Cris Collinsworth will join play-by-play voice Joe Buck to replace Summerall and John Madden. The announcement will be made on an afternoon teleconference.

Aikman did not return telephone messages left Wednesday.

Aikman, the quarterback who led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl championships, moves up from Fox's No. 2 broadcast team. He spent his rookie year in the booth working alongside former Cowboys teammate Daryl Johnston and Dick Stockton.

Johnston and Stockton will remain together on Fox's second team.

Buck has been Fox's lead baseball announcer. He is expected to remain in that position as well. Collinsworth, a former wide receiver with the Cincinnati Bengals, moves to the booth from Fox's pregame show.

The Buck-Aikman-Collinsworth booth is part of a youth movement at Fox, a network that prides itself on its appeal to a younger audience.

Buck is 33, Aikman 35 and Collinsworth 43.

Madden, who has moved to ABC's Monday Night Football, turned 66 last month. Summerall turns 72 later this month.

Summerall's arrangement with Fox would be unique. Fox, network of the NFC, and CBS, which has AFC games, traditionally assign announcers to games based on their own pecking order of importance. Being anchored on Cowboys games would allow Summerall to spend more time at home in Southlake and at his production company in Richardson.

Fox is scheduled to broadcast 12 Cowboys games in 2002. CBS will have two games at Texas Stadium involving AFC teams. ESPN has the remaining two Cowboys games.

Still to be determined is what would happen should a Cowboys game be designated Fox's top Sunday attraction. The Cowboys' annual nationally telecast Thanksgiving Day game will be worked by Buck, Aikman and Collinsworth.

Among the names discussed as a possible analyst to work alongside Summerall is that of another former Cowboys quarterback – Jason Garrett, who spent last season with the New York Giants and will work this summer on Fox broadcasts of NFL Europe games.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2002, 09:16 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i liked the combination of johnston and aikman..too bad they are not together in the booth as the #1 team
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I did to. I was very surprised at how good Troy was. I thought he would be too dry.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

"Where's my money"
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the Summerall to teh Cowboys deal.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote