Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So why in the f' is the game day thread closed again?

I thought this situation was addressed last night. What in the hell reason could there be for doing something so stupid?

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-02-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question.. who the hell are the moderators. Just leave the game day thread open. There's no good reason to close them.

It doesn't hurt anything to leave them open. But I promise you there are people that feel the need to post IN the GDT throughout the course of the season. People will want to address things IN the game day thread.. especially some of us that won't be watching the game quite 100% in real time. I understand what you're trying to do. However, there was no reason to force this. It was already occurring. Leave the game day thread open for those that need to discuss things that are relevent to the game day thread.

It might not impact alot of people leaving the threads open. But it doesn't do any good to close the thing either...

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about, specifically?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Locking the game day threads for no reason...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Do I need to open up this thread again in the main forum? Which moderator made this decision? You've already had a couple post and say that they want the thing left open. What is the big deal about leaving it open for those that want to post in it? Is it now a pissing match? Whoever decided to close it doesn't want to be shown up? Is that what's keeping the thing locked?

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Default Thank you.

Thank you.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-02-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. I unlocked it about 45 minutes ago.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Someone has to answer for this. Too many mod skirts... too many mods.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely curious about why anyone thought it was ever a good idea to lock GDT's as a matter of course.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The idea was to redirect post game discussion to a single thread.

Its not really an uncommon thing in other sports forums...but it wasn't a big deal either.

Its really not that much different than having only ONE game day thread (since I'm sure multiple GDT's would be merged).

We weren't trying to restrict anyone, just help the flow of discussion.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 11-02-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
The idea was to redirect post game discussion to a single thread.

Its not really an uncommon thing in other sports forums...but it wasn't a big deal either.

Its really not that much different than having only ONE game day thread (since I'm sure multiple GDT's would be merged).

We weren't trying to restrict anyone, just help the flow of discussion.
Of course I'm sure you weren't trying to restrict anyone. Still, there is a difference in GDT's and postgame threads. GDT's tend to be about discussing tactics, or sometimes venting emotions even. Postgame threads are about analysis. They are two different animals.

The last couple years we had both, and it seemed to work well.

I guess my main question would be: Why have a postgame thread, if the idea is to keep all the discussion in one place? Why lock a thread and open a thread, when one thread already exists? Seems a bit inefficient to me.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of the post game thread is to provide a reset of sorts. And a specific starting point for those wanting to read analysis instead of heat of the moment reactions.

We discussed it in the mod lounge and everyone thought it was a good idea. I'm surprised that someone would actually raise a stink over this, but it's not a big deal either way so I guess the plan is to just leave it open.

It was re-locked because the thread in which this was apparantly discussed last night was deleted, so people on this morning weren't really aware of what went on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-02-2008 at 08:03 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The idea of the post game thread is to provide a reset of sorts. And a specific starting point for those wanting to read analysis instead of heat of the moment reactions.
That's what I'm talking about. Say hi to your mother for me.

The threads are different, as you describe. If they aren't different, then let's just post our post-game comments after the game in the already existing thread. Right?

If anyone would "find it ridiculous" or somesuch why this would be an issue...I guess it's because the standard practice around is here is that threads are locked only when they run afoul of the rules or somesuch. It just seems...weird...to lock an honest-to-God thread. Even weirder still to lock all threads of that sort as a matter of course. Just...weird.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Say hi to your mother for me.

The threads are different, as you describe. If they aren't different, then let's just post our post-game comments after the game in the already existing thread. Right?

If anyone would "find it ridiculous" or somesuch why this would be an issue...I guess it's because the standard practice around is here is that threads are locked only when they run afoul of the rules or somesuch. It just seems...weird...to lock an honest-to-God thread. Even weirder still to lock all threads of that sort as a matter of course. Just...weird.
Well, but the idea is that once the game is 20 minutes over (or so, just picking a number) the GDT is essentially done. People are discussing the conclusion of the game. The idea was to help people post their thoughts in one thread, because it's pretty common for two parallel discussions to continue in the two threads after the game is over. In fact someone used this defense to try to get Sike to stop editing language. They said something to the effect of "no one will read this again once the game is over".

Anyway, it's not a big deal. You're right that it's not something done around here, but we were just trying to increase the efficiency. Not everyone is as familiar with the board as all of the regulars, so we were just trying to channel like minded discussion to one place. That's all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Well, but the idea is that once the game is 20 minutes over (or so, just picking a number) the GDT is essentially done. People are discussing the conclusion of the game. The idea was to help people post their thoughts in one thread, because it's pretty common for two parallel discussions to continue in the two threads after the game is over. In fact someone used this defense to try to get Sike to stop editing language. They said something to the effect of "no one will read this again once the game is over".

Anyway, it's not a big deal. You're right that it's not something done around here, but we were just trying to increase the efficiency. Not everyone is as familiar with the board as all of the regulars, so we were just trying to channel like minded discussion to one place. That's all.
If you want to go for efficiency, stop starting another thread to talk about the game, when there is already a GDT. Why does this point seem lost?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If you want to go for efficiency, stop starting another thread to talk about the game, when there is already a GDT. Why does this point seem lost?
It's not lost it's just wrong (imo). Creating a new thread that people know is going to have anlysis of the game is produtive, imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
It's not lost it's just wrong (imo). Creating a new thread that people know is going to have anlysis of the game is produtive, imo.
Why not have analysis in the GDT, the thread that is already devoted to the game?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Because people wanting to read other people's opinions on the game have to figure out where exactly whose start.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Because people wanting to read other people's opinions on the game have to figure out where exactly whose start.
What?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

"...where exactly *those* start."

C'mon, you know what I mean. If I come on the board the next day and want to read people's opinion of the game I can either:

A. Slog through an 8 page gameday thread (or much, much longer for important/playoff games)

B. Go directly to the first post of a post game analysis thread.

Clearly there is a conveniance to having the post game thread. As you've already said, it's for a different purpose than the GDT.

Again, not a big deal. Just trying to do a small thing to improve things a bit. We'll leave it alone from now on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

Hey, I love the postgame thread. But you were talking about efficiency and all that. And locking GDT's. Just seems to me that if you want one thread, the most efficient thing is to keep the existing one going.

Honestly, I have no idea why you guys thought to lock the GDT. I would try to chalk it up to you all being Democrats, but even Democrats don't come up with dumb ideas like that.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #22
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I think this topic has been exhausted.. can we get a lock on this thread?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #23
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

There are some people with some major anger issues on this forum.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 AM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, the default mod setting yesterday was to painstakingly edit cursing in emotional GDTs that were doomed to be locked and likely never read again anyway.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Here's the deal, thig, just because you don't have a use for the GDT after the game does not mean that others don't. There is no reason to try and funnel or mainstream anything simply because it's not an issue. People know where to go if they want to try and talk about post game stuff after the game. People also know where to look if they want to find something IN the GDT that they'd like to comment on... IN THE GDT.

There is absolutely no reason not to have both open. In my opinion, you're overstepping your bounds as a moderator. Here's an idea, go look for cussing or put out any little fires. Stop trying to dictate where people post what they want to post. There is no reason to over-moderate this forum in that capacity at this time.

Now if there's a trade and 20 threads pop up about the same thing, that's one thing.. but you're overmoderating at this point. If you want to be considered a good moderator, moderate when needed.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to pile on thig. We all talked about it, a couple people had mentioned seeing it done on other sports forums, there was a consensus "Yes" and we tried something new, which we've since said we won't do any more. BFD.

I'm sure we can all find something better to get our panties in a wad over.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 11-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the Revolution?

(because I forgot to bring my jacket & my gun - gran' ma-ma would be pissed at me right now!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #28
mary
Troll Hunter

This thread is a shame.

It was something that didn't need to be blown out of proportion.

It was an idea, a FEW people complained, and we changed it.

I really don't see the continued need to piss and moan about it.

Last edited by mary; 11-03-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Well, Mary, if the thread hadn't been unlocked and then re-locked, we probably wouldn't have this situation.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-03-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

It's not a situation.

Stop being a weenie.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

No, it is no longer a situation.... The crisis has been averted.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

But what about the Revolution???

(it's not always about YOU GUYS, you know...)

EDT: this thread might be too tense for me not to clarify: I want more stuff for ME (especially if it's yours...)

["then you should have voted for Obama" - haha, beat you to the punch!]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-03-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added hella-more cowbell
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

My two cents.

I abandoned my usual laissez faire attitude and agreed with the idea of closing the GDT. Why?

I watch the games away from the computer. I check in with the board after the game, or before I go to bed. I don't even open the GDT because it's such a jumble. I am sure some of you guys are dropping some mad bball science in there, but I just don't have the patience to wade through it all.

To each his own, just articulating the favorable reasoning. I'm just fine leaving it open as well. I actually liked it best before we had GDTs at all.. you might have one post-game summary thread, and a couple offshoot threads like, "Nellie's rotation still didn't make sense," or "Raef played like a girl." But I recognize we're too big for that now, and don't want thread diarrhea in the main forum.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

This was one cause that encapsulated people with no bias to race or party affiliation. I'd like to thank those that PMed me with regards to this cause. I know that through one uniform voice, justice prevailed.