Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #121
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

We need balls and we need luck to beat out the Lakers. And yes, it will cost you a payroll of 75-80mio if you want to do that, just check the payrolls of Lakers, Magic, Boston, Cavs...

When you read the Sixers boards, you read that Brand is looking better and better the last 15-20 games, that he is closing to be the "old" Brand. He just get screwed with the bench, minutes and Jordan. NOW you can steal him. Yes, he will be always a few millions overpaid but he is STILL a rare close to 20/10/2 lowpost player that actually plays some defense too (not like the Boozers, Bosh or Randolphs). The Lakers just extended Gasol and will pay him 20mio when he is 34/35. And he is a injury prone too. You HAVE to take these risks...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yjanjk2

This trade is a no-brainer for us. We close the SG problem and the lowpost scoring problem, dump Carroll AND keep the dustchip.

We are lacking:

Consistent scoring beside Dirk:
We get even 2 players back that can score 20 any given night. With Terry we have 3 beside Dirk: a shooter, a slasher, a lowpost player.

Scoring without "do or die with the jumpshot":
Brand is the lowpost scorer we need since years. Iggy is the guy able to go to the ft line. Bingo.

Backcourt partner for Terry that doesnt kill you:
Iggy is a perfect fit to put beside Terry. You have size against the other SG and ball handling with Iggy.

Shotblocking:
Brand

I dont wanna waste another year waiting for the dustchip that maybe also just blow up into dust. We dont have much years left. And even after this trade and our payroll then, if a JJ or Bosh wanna come to play for us you can still sign him and trade away/dump Terry or send Iggy back to the other team etc.

Kidd/Terry
Iggy/Terry
Marion/Iggy
Dirk/Brand
Brand/Damp

Ross/Thomas/Roddy filling.

Thats allready straight up there with the Lakers.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-21-2010 at 11:55 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #122
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

much like everything else from duke, brand sucks. we don't need that trash on our team
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #123
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

per 36 minutes (because that is starter minutes) in his last 15 games played

Brand: 19.8 PPG/ 6.73 RPG/ 1.4 BPG/ shooting percentage somewhere around 52-54 %
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #124
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i must admit sefant77 has me warming to the idea of Brand a little
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #125
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I like the idea of Brand as well. He's caught up in the wrong system and could be a big time acquisition to this team. His contract is risky, but it's about getting Dirk a championship in the next couple of years, right? So let's get as much talent as we can while we still can.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #126
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Iggy had a bad shooting night but still came close to a triple double.

This guy needs to be on the Mavs.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #127
mavsfan4lyfe201

mavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these parts

yup..iggy is the best we can get before the deadline.

he fits our system perfectly.

imagine the alley oops kidd could lob to him? kidd iggy dirk is a nasty trio..
mavsfan4lyfe201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #128
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports tweets today that league sources have indicated the Cavs have been listening to pitches from the Sixers on Iguodala, but that it's still more likely they'll go after a stretch 4 such as Antawn Jamison as the trade deadline approaches.

And as Wojnarowksi also mentions, with no one wanting to take on Elton's Brand large contract, trading Iguodala might be the only way to get some cap relief.

"The Sixers are in a tough spot, because it's very unlikely they can move Brand's contract," he tweets. "To get much cap flexibility, Iguodala probably has to go."

If that's the case, expect Iguodala to be the one traded out of Philly if they indeed make a deal at the deadline.

Cuban needs to make this happen

F**k the summer of 2010, you can get an all star caliber player now.

BEAT LA
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #129
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Elton Brand

2009/10: $14,858,471
2010/11: $15,959,099
2011/12: $17,059,726
2012/13: $18,160,354

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=605&sport=NBA

That's a bad contract and would kill the Mavs cap space for a LONG time, I'll take Sammy before I take Brand and that bad contract.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #130
badfish22
Golden Member

No ones talking about taking Brand or Dalembert.....

Were not doing that

BEAT LA
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #131
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
No ones talking about taking Brand or Dalembert.....

Were not doing that
I seen Brand name on most of the post in this section and I was responding to there post not yours.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #132
dayman

dayman will become famous soon enough

MILWAUKEE - With the NBA's Feb. 18 trade deadline approaching, the rumors have been circulating around 76ers swingman Andre Iguodala.

A source close to the situation has confirmed that the Houston Rockets, owners of Tracy McGrady's expiring $23 million contract, will only discuss a possible deal with the Sixers if it involves Iguodala. And about a week ago, ESPN.com linked Iguodala in a possible deal involving the Cleveland Cavaliers.

After this season, Iguodala has more than $56 million remaining on his contract, including three more seasons - and a player option for a fourth.

Iguodala once was thought to be the centerpiece of a young Sixers nucleus. Now his situation mirrors that of the rest of the roster: The team is willing to negotiate about the former untouchable.

Before last night's game against the Milwaukee Bucks, Iguodala said: "Nothing is a surprise when you're 15-29."

"Nobody wants to be on the losing end, but when you are on the losing end, you have to make changes," said Iguodala, who entered the contest averaging 17.6 points per game.

"I wouldn't be surprised [to be traded], but this is my job, so I just go out and try to be professional every day instead of worrying why they're trying to trade me versus someone else, being bitter about it."

Last season, Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski stayed firm at the trading deadline, saying he wanted to protect his young nucleus, that no deal made sense long-term.

"I think we had a decent year last year, we got to the playoffs, we had some success, especially late in the year," said Iguodala, who is in his sixth season with the Sixers.

"We haven't had that same type of success, so you start to wonder what it looks like in the future. Do you want to stay the same or do you want to change? So you never know what the front office might be thinking."http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/82873597.html
I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us...... It's science.

Last edited by dayman; 01-28-2010 at 09:08 AM.
dayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #133
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Interesting. I've been reading a lot of Philly boars on how they believe Iggy is not a true second option but more of a complimentary player. I'd be thrilled to get him or Martin with Howard's expiring.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #134
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

How could Cleveland possibly acquire another player, especially with that salary?
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #135
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
How could Cleveland possibly acquire another player, especially with that salary?
The Cavs have some expirings and they're desperate to bring in more talent to help sway Lebron's decision this off-season so I could see them trying to sweeten the pot.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #136
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

I understand that, but they're becoming the Yankees of basketball. Just acquire anything and everything. They must pay a lot of luxury tax?

Last edited by muzak; 01-28-2010 at 11:16 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #137
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Cavs have the expiring of Z and some young talent (Hickson).

But they are going for a PF with range, Murphy or Jamison. They have also better contracts (1,5 and 2,5 years).
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #138
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
I understand that, but they're becoming the Yankees of basketball. Just acquire anything and everything. They must pay a lot of luxury tax?
They're making that back and then some by simply having Lebron. (sold out home games, more playoff games = more revenue, merchandise etc..)

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #139
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Houston is a major factor in some of the pieces we might be shooting for via trade. The T-Mac contract is a major chip to be offering and I think most people are going to wait to see where that falls first and then we become a major suitor.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #140
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Mavs Looking hard at trade options
By Marc Stein
The Mavericks continue to evaluate their options in advance of the Feb. 18 trade deadline and continue to be regarded as one of the few “buyers” out there.

Which is another way of saying that Dallas is seen by other teams around the league as one of the few potential trade partners willing to take on some significant salary before the buzzer sounds.

Said one source with knowledge of the Mavs’ thinking: “They are looking hard.”

But they are also still strongly weighing whether it’s smarter to keep Josh Howard past the trading deadline. That would preserve the option to package Howard (who becomes an $11.8 million expiring contract for 2010-11 once his team option is picked up) with Erick Dampier (whose $13.1 million salary next season is fully unguaranteed) as a combo-pack of assets for an offseason trade splash.

The comments from Mavs owner Mark Cuban last weekend in New York seemed to indicate that hanging onto Howard -- even if it’s just for the long-shot possibility that Dallas could emerge as a sign-and-trade destination for one of this summer’s marquee free agents -- holds great appeal.

"You know, every team wants to get better,” Cuban told reporters Sunday. “And you look at the best guys in the league and you say, 'What gives me an opportunity to add them to my team?' Some people want cap room, some people think sign-and-trade. So it just depends. We'll see. You just never know. You never know.”

I took that as not-so-veiled backing of what we wrote back in November, when the Mavs were listed as No. 5 on a list of five teams most capable of landing LeBron for next season. Even if the odds of a sign-and-trade for someone from the LeBron/Chris Bosh stratosphere in July are small, Dallas will be undeniably tempted to preserve every possibility for a miracle, especially when you can legitimately question whether anyone it can acquire during the next three weeks can really close the gap between the Mavs and the mighty Lakers.

Dallas’ interest in Sacramento’s Kevin Martin was last week’s big trade topic, but the Kings keep saying that Martin is not available. And while Washington’s Caron Butler and Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala are most certainly available, one plugged-in source insisted this week that the Mavs have real reservations about trading Howard for Butler and are hesitant regarding Iguodala as well largely because of the four years and $56 million left on the Philly swingman’s contract after this season.

The Mavs, remember, were reluctant back in November to take on the contract of Stephen Jackson, who wanted so badly to come to Dallas before Golden State traded him to Charlotte . . . and who would have been half as expensive as Iguodala.

The impact Jackson has had with the Bobcats actually leads you to wonder how much the Mavs now regret their refusal to gamble on Jackson, but recalling the reasons behind that reluctance helps explain why I’ve been advised more than once this week that Iguodala – as it stands with three weeks to go before the deadline – appears unlikely to be Dallas-bound.

Is there time for that stance to change?

Another pertinent question: Would Iguodala’s all-around game as a perimeter sidekick to Dirk Nowitzki – infused with the sort of defensive prowess Dallas has historically lacked -- move the Mavs close enough to the Lakers’ zip code to justify the expense? Some NBA personnel experts would say yes, but more would say no.

Which might only give Cuban more encouragement to hang onto to both of his biggest chips at this trading deadline and save his assets for the summer, knowing that any substantial deadline move would almost certainly require the inclusion of Howard.

"We always try to position ourselves to be opportunistic and we think we've got some scenarios that we can be that way," Cuban said Sunday. "So we'll see."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-trade-options

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #141
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh...this report makes me kinda sick at my stomach. Much like the reports last year that jkiddo for kaman/davis was available but we turned it down.

Quote:
But they are also still strongly weighing whether it’s smarter to keep Josh Howard past the trading deadline. That would preserve the option to package Howard (who becomes an $11.8 million expiring contract for 2010-11 once his team option is picked up) with Erick Dampier (whose $13.1 million salary next season is fully unguaranteed) as a combo-pack of assets for an offseason trade splash.
Keep stinking dreaming. Just another way of being timid.

Quote:
Even if the odds of a sign-and-trade for someone from the LeBron/Chris Bosh stratosphere in July are small, Dallas will be undeniably tempted to preserve every possibility for a miracle, especially when you can legitimately question whether anyone it can acquire during the next three weeks can really close the gap between the Mavs and the mighty Lakers.
A miracle indeed and no way to run a business or a sports franchise.

Quote:
hesitant regarding Iguodala as well largely because of the four years and $56 million left on the Philly swingman’s contract after this season.
Hesitant being the operative word.

Quote:
The Mavs, remember, were reluctant back in November to take on the contract of Stephen Jackson, who wanted so badly to come to Dallas before Golden State traded him to Charlotte . . . and who would have been half as expensive as Iguodala.
Another timid move imo. Scared to upset the apple cart even though I expect Jackson would have been a great fit..

Quote:
The impact Jackson has had with the Bobcats actually leads you to wonder how much the Mavs now regret their refusal to gamble on Jackson, but recalling the reasons behind that reluctance helps explain why I’ve been advised more than once this week that Iguodala – as it stands with three weeks to go before the deadline – appears unlikely to be Dallas-bound.
This makes no sense. The only possible reservations that they should have had with Jackson was his mental stability, it doesn't correlate to Iggy at all.

Quote:
Another pertinent question: Would Iguodala’s all-around game as a perimeter sidekick to Dirk Nowitzki – infused with the sort of defensive prowess Dallas has historically lacked -- move the Mavs close enough to the Lakers’ zip code to justify the expense? Some NBA personnel experts would say yes, but more would say no.
I think the "experts" are wacko here. Having a starter who is just as studly defensively as marion would be stellar.

Quote:
Which might only give Cuban more encouragement to hang onto to both of his biggest chips at this trading deadline and save his assets for the summer, knowing that any substantial deadline move would almost certainly require the inclusion of Howard.

"We always try to position ourselves to be opportunistic and we think we've got some scenarios that we can be that way," Cuban said Sunday. "So we'll see."
Spinmeister on this one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #142
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Maybe that's just a way to tell teams "we're not desperate to move Josh" which helps at the bargaining table. They offered Josh/Gooden/JJB for Martin and were turned down by the Kings, so keeping Josh is obviously not their goal but just plan B. (or C or D or what have you) If teams want to play hardball and want unreasonable demands (i.e. Roddy) they'll then just keep Josh. I agree with their logic on this stance. The less desperate you are going into any situation the more room you have to negotiate.

And BTW it's probably 50/50 on this forum, with many posters who have that all-in every hand poker mentality (i.e. dude1394) that even agree Davis/Kaman for Kidd was something the F.O. should have done.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-29-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #143
sefant77
Guru

You still would do Kidd for Davis/Kaman?

Davis is shooting awesome 39/28% this season and both are on and off with injuries again.

Mavs were willing to take back Nocioni in the Martin offer, so i dont see why they shouldnt take Dalembert.

Nocioni has after the summer 2 years 15 mio left. Dalembert one year with 12 mio and a trade kicker (so probably around 14).

Iggy has 4 years with around 55mio left, Martin 3/36. It makes no sense to cheap out on this trade just because of that one year more, counting all the injuries and DNP that Martin will collect anyway.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #144
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

dude, I supported, and still support Dallas' choice to pass on Jackson. Would he be better than what Josh is giving us now? Sure. But Dallas needs to be targeting players who can give them more than what Josh used to give them. Dallas-centric career highlights aside, Jax is not, nor has he ever been, consistently at that level.

I'm also not sure I see the parallel to the Kidd for Kaman/Davis rumors. My memory of those is that they were coming from the Clips' side and that Dallas never seemed to even consider taking on Baron's contract. Especially with Kaman playing poorly and rarely at the time.

I'm in agreement with you that Iggy's salary should not be deterrent, though. *If* Josh for Iggy were on the table (and we don't know that it is, frankly) I'd very much hope the Mavs would take it, because I think he'd be worth the investment.

Quote:
They offered Josh/Gooden/JJB for Martin and were turned down by the Kings
That trade could never have been on the table as the salaries don't even come close to working.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #145
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post

That trade could never have been on the table as the salaries don't even come close to working.
I didn't mention Nocioni because it was unneccessary since most of us are already aware of the trade offer, but since you're uninformed it was Howard/JJB/Gooden for Martin/Nocioni.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-30-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #146
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm in agreement with you that Iggy's salary should not be deterrent, though. *If* Josh for Iggy were on the table (and we don't know that it is, frankly) I'd very much hope the Mavs would take it, because I think he'd be worth the investment.
I'm in the camp of you take what you can get now, nothing is guaranteed in the summer. What happens if your assets are still the same but it doesn't net you a big catch...what do you sell to your fan-base then, what do you sell to Dirk? Would it be awesome if we could get LeBron, Wade, Bosh or someone high up on the list...of course it would, but I just don't really see all the dominoes falling where everyone abandons the team that they're currently on.

The two main guys in question (Martin and Iggy) bring two different styles to the SG position, both should help improve the Mavs. I'm easily down for either of them because it means we will be done with the Josh Howard experiment and new blood can continue coming into the mix with the key components of the roster.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #147
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
You still would do Kidd for Davis/Kaman?

Davis is shooting awesome 39/28% this season and both are on and off with injuries again.

Mavs were willing to take back Nocioni in the Martin offer, so i dont see why they shouldnt take Dalembert.

Nocioni has after the summer 2 years 15 mio left. Dalembert one year with 12 mio and a trade kicker (so probably around 14).

Iggy has 4 years with around 55mio left, Martin 3/36. It makes no sense to cheap out on this trade just because of that one year more, counting all the injuries and DNP that Martin will collect anyway.
Yup...because I would have gotten Kaman and a serviceable PG imo. It's the same reason that I would take an iggy/dalembert for josh/dampier. Because I would get iggy and a serviceable center. The Jkiddo for davis/kaman is an even better deal imo.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #148
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
They offered Josh/Gooden/JJB for Martin and were turned down by the Kings, so keeping Josh is obviously not their goal but just plan B. (or C or D or what have you) If
Why are you saying this as if it's fact? I haven't seen anyone say this trade was ever offered, accepted, anything.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #149
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
dude, I supported, and still support Dallas' choice to pass on Jackson. Would he be better than what Josh is giving us now? Sure. But Dallas needs to be targeting players who can give them more than what Josh used to give them. Dallas-centric career highlights aside, Jax is not, nor has he ever been, consistently at that level.
I actually would have passed on Jackson as well but mainly because I think he's a nutcase. But a jackson for howard?? well as a monday morning qb it's a good deal now.

Quote:
I'm also not sure I see the parallel to the Kidd for Kaman/Davis rumors. My memory of those is that they were coming from the Clips' side and that Dallas never seemed to even consider taking on Baron's contract. Especially with Kaman playing poorly and rarely at the time.
You are correct except that deal looked to me to be a way to greatly change the team for the better and of course Kaman was going to be a gamble. I would certainly do it now and of course every trade is a "bet" on the future. I do believe it should have been taken however and still do, assuming it was out there and I expect it may have been at that time, but who's to know.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #150
sefant77
Guru

-

Last edited by sefant77; 01-30-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #151
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I didn't mention Nocioni because it was unneccessary since most of us are already aware of the trade offer, but since you're uninformed it was Howard/JJB/Gooden for Martin/Nocioni.
I have never seen it in print that the Mavs made such an offer. On the contrary, the most direct evidence I've encountered on the subject came from a story in which Stein stated that the Mavs don't want to take on one of Sac's crappy contracts to get Martin.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #152
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have never seen it in print that the Mavs made such an offer. On the contrary, the most direct evidence I've encountered on the subject came from a story in which Stein stated that the Mavs don't want to take on one of Sac's crappy contracts to get Martin.
stein was just speculating as to what could have possibly been an offer. But he never stated that this was exactly what was on the table.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #153
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rumors of a declined trade came from this source.

Quote:
Kings Decline Dallas Mavericks Trade Offer

According to sources close to both franchises, the Sacramento Kings declined a trade offer from the Dallas Mavericks that would have sent fan favorite Kevin Martin to Big D.

The Mavericks fully aware of the Kings desire to trade Andres Nocioni, apparently offered up Josh Howard, Drew Gooden (Hello, again) and J.J. Berea in exchange for Kevin Martin and Andres Nocioni.

In addition to the offer from Dallas, the Sacramento Bee reports that the Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors, and Phoenix Suns are also keeping serious tabs on Martin who I’m told the Kings have very little interest in moving, especially at this time.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-30-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #154
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I don't think I trust Eze as a reputable source.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #155
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Looks like Cleveland is out of the running for Iggy, according to Ric Bucher. It's now down to Dallas, Phoenix, and Portland

http://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/8387193296

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 01-30-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #156
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'm not quite sure that I want Dallas to make an "infinitely better" offer, whatever that means.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #157
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the latest "Iggy to Dallas" rumor?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #158
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Looks like Cleveland is out of the running for Iggy, according to Ric Bucher. It's now down to Dallas, Phoenix, and Portland

http://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/8387193296
I can't believe that houston isn't in this mix. They continue to have the best chip I've seen.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #159
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Haven't heard of any rumored offers, but if we can offer significantly more than Cleveland then I'm guessing we're willing to take on an extra contract, probably Dalembert's. Our recently reported offer of JHO, Gooden, and Barea for KMartin and Nocioni also strengthens the belief we're ready to take on some money.

I'm guessing we're offering them the same package, but with Carroll included to make the salaries match up for Iggy + Dalembert.

So
Howard
Gooden
Barea
Carroll

for

Iggy
Dalembert

Damp / Dalembert
Dirk / Najera / Thomas
Marion / Singleton
Iggy / Terry / Ross
Kidd / Robo

This gives us a better chance this season while maintaining the possibility of landing a superstar via S&T this off-season. It also strengthens our C depth.

I'm thinking that the FO is preferring Martin, though, so we may be waiting to see what happens with him before making this offer to Philly.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #160
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I can't believe that houston isn't in this mix. They continue to have the best chip I've seen.
The usefulness of McGrady's contract may be limited somewhat by its size. If Houston's only willing to take on long-term salary in the 10-12 million range TMac's giant expiring cap figure becomes as much an obstacle to getting a deal done as it is an opportunity. A collection of smaller expiring contracts (such as what Dallas has) is arguably the more useful commodity.