Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #41
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea bringing Christopher Pike back on the screen.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #42
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I have never seen anything Star Trek, including a single episode of any of the television series.

That said, I am totally pumped about this movie. It looks totally badass. Sylar, Harold, and Shaun of the Dead in the same movie?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's what they're going for. And since they're starting over there's no prior knowledge necessary to see this movie. From what I've heard it should just be a great action movie in it's own right aside from the fact that it's Star Trek.

And the hardcore Trek people (like the 12 year old version of Flaco) just have to know that this is a re-boot of sorts. They're going to change the canon. Some stuff is going to be different. Oh well.

It should be a fun way to kick off the movie season.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #44
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
I have never seen anything Star Trek, including a single episode of any of the television series.

That said, I am totally pumped about this movie. It looks totally badass. Sylar, Harold, and Shaun of the Dead in the same movie?
@ Kiro: You will be astonished how technique developed, when you watch part 1 of the TV series after the movie
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #45
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
They're going to change the canon. Some stuff is going to be different. Oh well.
Technically they're not changing the canon at all - the convenience of time travel in the Trek universe actually makes this entire reboot an alternate reality to the timeline we've already seen in the older movies & TV shows (so there's actually a plot-related reason for Leonard Nimoy coming back as Old Spock in this new flick...)

That JJ Abrams is pretty clever!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-06-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #46
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not the biggest fan - only seen bits of the original movies. But i have seen quite a bit of the original TV shows.

But i have tickets for IMAX showing on Friday night. Not dressing up.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Technically they're not changing the canon at all - the convenience of time travel in the Trek universe actually makes this entire reboot an alternate reality to the timeline we've already seen in the older movies & TV shows (so there's actually a plot-related reason for Leonard Nimoy coming back as Old Spock in this new flick...)

That JJ Abrams is pretty clever!
Yeah, that's true. And I already know enough about the plot to kind of know the gist of what they're changing. It's really not a big deal and it won't be for this particular movie franchise anyway.

This cast is signed up for two more of these already, right?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #48
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to the 10PM showing this Thursday. I would have been at the 7PM showing if it weren't for my stupid stupid wonderful job. So that will make 3 late nights in a row this week because tonight I get to work late for God.... but I won't complain about that.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-06-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: changed "have" to "get" because I don't want to get hit by lightning.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
I am going to the 10PM showing this Thursday. I would have been at the 7PM showing if it weren't for my stupid stupid wonderful job. So that will make 3 late nights in a row this week because tonight I get to work late for God.... but I won't complain about that.
Are you going to close to your house theater?

If you are, I'm going to find you as I come out of the 7pm showing and tell you about how Snape kills Dumbledore and other spoiler goodies.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-06-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #50
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

My mom is a huge Trek fan so I'm taking her to see it this Sunday...

(JJ Abrams made Mother's Day easy for once!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-06-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #51
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If you are, I'm going to find you as I come out of the 7pm showing and tell you about how Snape kills Dumbledore and other spoiler goodies.
What!!??? Dumbledore is in it? I can deal with a Sulu that's too old and an overly rebellious Kirk. We've got to get Kirobaito watching somehow. But Dumbledore in a Star Trek movie is just too much!!!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #52
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes, that's the one. And I will be the one covering my ears and going "la la la la la la la la" real loud as to avoid any spoilers.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #53
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:

U2, glad to see or read about your serving on the late shift tonight. Way to be an example!!!

Side bar...with U2 in your screen name...In my younger days, I was NOT a U2 fan, but thanks to Church I go to, I have been educated on the greatness of U2...IMHO, one of the greatest bands who also have a core value of genuine faith that I have ever been a witness too!

Best of wishes with the late night work, service and entertainment!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #54
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Side bar...with U2 in your screen name...
I think he used to fly spy planes.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Yes, that's the one. And I will be the one covering my ears and going "la la la la la la la la" real loud as to avoid any spoilers.
I'll be the one with the spock ears and the lightsaber

(But seriously, why do people always bring lightsabers to movie premiers? I see them at every HP midnight showing, and at LOTR midnight showings...)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #56
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
I think he used to fly spy planes.
over Sarajevo... yes that's (not) true. If you don't believe me, just ask sike.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
over Sarajevo... yes that's (not) true. If you don't believe me, just ask sike.
sike is, of course, spying for a completely different (ahem) . . country.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Do not be so pleased with this technological terror you've constructed...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i will be seeing this
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #60
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Speaking of Star Trek.... did any of you see Fringe last night? That gave me a giggle.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #61
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Speaking of Star Trek.... did any of you see Fringe last night? That gave me a giggle.
That was AWESOME.

Even though half of what that guy said was the plot for the new movie. The other half I think was crap. Still..the most genius product placement ever.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Gather around for story time....

My wife mentioned to me the other day how much she was looking forward to the new Star Trek movie. I said we should have a movie marathon and watch all the old Star Trek movies.

She says: "I haven't seen any of the old Star Trek movies"

Apparently she's a fan only of TNG thus far. So naturally I told her to GTFO out of my house.

Then after I calmed down, I decided to get II, III, IV, and VI for her and told her to watch them. She got off work early today and went home and started Wrath of Khan.

She just texted me and made me giggle..."Spock's not going to die, is he?"
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #63
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Anything before TNG really doesn't matter, as far as I'm concerned.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #64
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

As they say on the interwebs:

U R TEH GAY

All Star Treks matter equally. Except Voyager. No one needs affirmative action in space
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #65
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

JTHIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG!!!!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As they say on the interwebs:

U R TEH GAY

All Star Treks matter equally. Except Voyager. No one needs affirmative action in space
Um...no.

First of all, not only does Enterprise not matter, it doesn't exist.

Secondly...well I don't really have a second point.

I grew up watching TNG, not the original series. I mean it's not bad or anything, but Star Trek, for me, begins at TNG.

I have seen the movies from the original series though.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #67
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I have never gotten into Star Trek...but seeing a post here tells me that the new movie is like starting on a clean slate. It's suppose to stand on its own as a Sci-Fi Action movie.

I might get interested...who knows, it might get me interested in the old stuff???

As far as Fringe and the other shows on my DVR...I've got to try and get caught up tonight...too busy watching Mavs and Rangers, missing out on some of my regular shows.

Sounds like I need to mix up a few beverages, sit back on the couch and enjoy some TV!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #68
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Um...no.

First of all, not only does Enterprise not matter, it doesn't exist.

Secondly...well I don't really have a second point.

I grew up watching TNG, not the original series. I mean it's not bad or anything, but Star Trek, for me, begins at TNG.

I have seen the movies from the original series though.
I think I started, as a wee lad with the original movies. I think I watched II, III, and IV about a hundred thousand times when I was ages 6-10.

I grew up watching the TNG as well. It was only after I got into those that an Uncle of mine lent me a library of old Original Series tapes and I watched the crap out of those as well.

Certainly I am of TNG ilk more than the original. I might go as far as to claim Deep Space Nine to be my favorite series. Maybe.

Enterprise? What is that? I think I've seen 3 of those.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #69
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Certainly I am of TNG ilk more than the original. I might go as far as to claim Deep Space Nine to be my favorite series. Maybe.
I might go so far as to punch you in the stomach with my light saber if we see each other in person.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #70
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Deep Space Nine? LMAO!

That has got to be the most boring show ever made.

I do want to see the new one though. It has gotten decent reviews.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Deep Space Nine was a very quality Start Trek series. I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said they enjoyed it more than TNG.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #72
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Deep Space Nine was a very quality Start Trek series. I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said they enjoyed it more than TNG.
you wouldn't bat an eye if Flaco jumped up on a table, and did a Ferengi love dance - Bob Ortegal style - for you, either, though.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #73
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I love that "Bob Ortegal style" somehow makes a Ferengi love dance even more bizarre. That's hilarious.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #74
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

People that think Heroes is better than LOST should know that arguing with me about Star Trek is futile.

nerd fight!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #75
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

1000 hours and 100101 minutes and counting......
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #76
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That was awesome.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It was indeed.

Zachary Quinto = awesome.

It was a triumph in duplicity. There was a movie there for the masses to enjoy, and behind it, or rather beside it, another movie for the faithful. And TONS of inside Trek jokes. From the dialogue to the sound effects.

I know that they have now created their own timeline in which to play. I knew that going in. That's cool. I'm fine with that. In fact, one could argue that most of what takes place in the future can still take place. Someone's still going to have to deal with the gansgter planet, and Khan, and the whole nine yards. But why did they have to destroy that planet that they destroyed? That seemed needless.

I might actually fork over money to see a movie twice!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #78
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I forgot you went to the same showing.... My work engagement got postponed. So I called up my brother, father, and step-mother and we all changed our tickets to the 7PM showing.

The movie wasn't perfect, but the things I didn't like are nit-picky things really. Talk about action. And I only thought of Sylar once the entire time.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #79
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Exactly. Nit picky things.

Over all, I thought it was something that the brand should be happy to have it's name attached to.

You and I were in the same theater? Did you see the really awesome guy? You know, that one that was awesome? That was me.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #80
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

great movie. not that I need to say it...but you should go see it. also apparently it was released today. legacy's DLP theatre wasnt even sold out... also, the star trek gummy bears are pretty good.

Tags
0..0..0..fluff..0!, fluff long and prosper, fluff me up scotty, got a bit fluffy in here, set phasers to fluff, the fluff of khan, thefluffyonewiththewhales