Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #81
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they sold out the 7pm showing at unnamed theater where u2 and I went. The 10pm was sold out hours and hours before the 7 even started. I'm not sure a lot of people knew there was a 7pm showing.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-07-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #82
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hesitant to start a more serious discussion until more people have seen it.

Monday morning, all bets are off. We're breaking that baby down.

In fact, my wife (my pregnant wife, btw, I don't know if I've told any of you that ) told me that we're going to see it again this weekend. So, she gets what she wants.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #83
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
You and I were in the same theater? Did you see the really awesome guy? You know, that one that was awesome? That was me.
So that was YOU.

When it was over and someone yelled "That was awesome" real loud..... that was my brother.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #84
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Trekkies bash new film for being "Fun" and "Watchable"

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...star_trek_film
Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #85
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, saw it tonight in IMAX. That was, simply put, awesome. On a scale of star trek fandom, where 10 is a fanatic and 1 means having never heard of star trek, I'm like a 5-6. And I'm saying that movie was incredible. Just an amazing movie all the way around - casting (Quinto was born to play spock), acting (I don't remember ANY weak links - hell, even tyler FREAKIN dress up in drag perry was good in his small role), effects (it was a little epileptic seizure inducing at times and a little heavy on the lens flares, but great nonetheless), you name it. Awesome.

and this may belong in the "Question re: cussing" thread, but good lord does pine (Kirk) have some gorgeous baby blues.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-08-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #86
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Seriously...the lens flares were freaking ridiculous. I could do without that.

I think we're going to see it again tomorrow. I want that all my dollars are belong to Star Trek.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #87
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha I know - I was like "man, how can they see anything? It's blinding on the bridge!"

And seeing it in imax, it was blinding for the audience, too!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #88
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

That was the best science fiction movie I've ever seen. This coming from a person who worked in a Star Wars store. Absolutely epic. Damn near perfect. I'd see it again in an instant.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #89
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

"If their ship as any sort of common sense design to it, I will beam you directly to the cargo bay. it should be empty"

bzzzzzmmm

huh? who's that? pew pew pew.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - that was an extremely satisfactory movie...

(I'll give y'all another day or two before I delve into spoiler territory...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-10-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #91
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i don't want to get into spoilers yet either. But i totally forgot to mention how they worked in the "red shirt" thing with the sky diving suits. hilarious!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #92
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well when we decide it's ok to talk spoilers, we need to talk about the choice of the writers to include a certain romantic element that was just really kind of weird.

And how about the green chick in the underwear? Would ya?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #93
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, i don't discriminate based on color of skin.

just as long as she's not a fatty.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #94
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah. I'd definitely "go green" for her.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well when we decide it's ok to talk spoilers, we need to talk about the choice of the writers to include a certain romantic element that was just really kind of weird.
It was certainly out of left field, but the Trek timeline has changed so anything is possible now...

(I mean, so far we have two major characters who have lost loved ones at the hands of Nero that weren't lost in the old timeline, not to mention the destruction of an entire planet - this obviously ain't your father's Trek anymore!)

Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #96
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I am a pretty big sci-fi fan..and this movie ranks up there with the highest of high. It was pretty sick.

I did not really watch ST:TOS or ST:Next Gen growing up..but I am debating watching all of the episodes this summer.

edit:

The GI JOE trailer / Transfromers:RotF were pretty stimulating as well.

Last edited by nikeball; 05-11-2009 at 11:16 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #97
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

GI Joe didn't do much for me, mainly because I never watched it or paid much attention to it when I was a kid.

Though details such as said romantic addition, I fear, will be an issue in sequels that could form what is disastrously known as a "love triangle."
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #98
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I understood the need to explore what might be the more emotional side of Spock,certainly with the origin story line, and what happened to his... yeah. And how he is a child of two worlds, but I hope that in subsequent movies they will portray him as more Original Episodes Spock (the uber straight man), and less Movie Spock (occasionally more emotional, particularly in the last one)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #99
Underdog

Default HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!!!!!!

Quote:
I understood the need to explore what might be the more emotional side of Spock,certainly with the origin story line, and what happened to his... yeah. And how he is a child of two worlds, but I hope that in subsequent movies they will portray him as more Original Episodes Spock (the uber straight man), and less Movie Spock (occasionally more emotional, particularly in the last one)
But Spock's reality has been altered - no doubt his views about being half-human/half-vulcan have changed with the loss of his mother/planet...

Actually, I expect everything we know about Star Trek to change in future movies - watch the first episode of the original series and tell me Christopher Pike isn't doing a lot better in this alternate reality than he was at the end of the pilot episode (at least he doesn't have to talk through a series of beeps!)

Side note - did anyone see the tribble? I heard there was one in the movie, but I never noticed it...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #100
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Changing things just for the sake of changing them doesn't bode well for them. But they'll do it anyway.

They can do plenty with keeping Spock a little more traditional. I recently watched all of the original movies with my wife (watched 6 last night) and the genius of Spock is that he's the straight man. Kirk and the Doc mercilessly bouncing jokes off of his emotionless forehead was what made it great.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #101
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, i thought he was the straight man in terms of humor. I think he only cracked a smile once that I can remember.

He did have his emotional outbreak, but that was after much prodding from Kirk. As to the relationship... i think that was just added for a triangle effect. which wasn't bad here, but could be bad in future movies.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #102
Underdog

Default SUPER SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Quote:
Changing things just for the sake of changing them doesn't bode well for them. But they'll do it anyway.

They can do plenty with keeping Spock a little more traditional. I recently watched all of the original movies with my wife (watched 6 last night) and the genius of Spock is that he's the straight man. Kirk and the Doc mercilessly bouncing jokes off of his emotionless forehead was what made it great.
But the old Spock had already made a choice between his human emotions and his Vulcan logic when we first met him - this Spock's choice was interrupted with the arrival of Nero... His entire reality has changed, so it follows that his personality should change too...

They also made Kirk more angst-ridden as a result of his father's death at the hands of Nero - the old Kirk wasn't quite as reckless because he had a father who raised him to become a Starfleet officer...

That reality is gone, those characters are gone - Nero officially rebooted the Star Trek series (but you can always go back and watch the old movies/episodes!)

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #103
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That reality is gone, those characters are gone...
Well, come on now. The characters are essentially the same. There's just a little wiggle room now.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #104
Underdog

Default SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Well, come on now. The characters are essentially the same. There's just a little wiggle room now.
Sure, they're essentially the same - it's not like their DNA changed as a result of Nero's arrival (but their individual experiences certainly have...)

Kirk is still a brash ladies' man by nature, but now he has the angst of losing his father to overcome...

Spock is still at odds with his Vulcan/Human roots by nature, but now his perception of what being Vulcan/Human even MEANS has been thrown for a loop with the death of his Human mother & Vulcan planet...

I'd say there's a LOT of wiggle room now (and the romance of Uhura only adds depth to a character that was fairly one-dimensional before...)

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #105
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i guess we're talking spoilers now.

BIG SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i thought it was interesting how old spock's memory (when talking to kirk in the ice cave) was that of the old Trek, as opposed to remembering what was happening in the current timeline. So they took the route of the timelines being branched instead of a single thread.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-11-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #106
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Way to make the thread toxic for those of us who haven't seen it! I'll check back in after the upcoming weekend

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #107
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I found that interesting as well, BBL. Especially considering that half the people that worked on this movie work on LOST, which decided to take a drastically different take on time travel. (Or did they? Find out on Wednesday )
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #108
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

The scene where kid Spock was being teased by the older Vulcan kids reminded me of Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory crew...that made me chuckle a bit.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #109
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
I found that interesting as well, BBL. Especially considering that half the people that worked on this movie work on LOST, which decided to take a drastically different take on time travel. (Or did they? Find out on Wednesday )
ha ha, that's exactly what i was thinking as i was watching.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #110
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it in the IMAX. Pretty sweet. My only beef was Eric Bana. He is about as intimidating as a box of kittens. Otherwise, better than any of the new Star Wars.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #111
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I saw it in the IMAX. Pretty sweet. My only beef was Eric Bana. He is about as intimidating as a box of kittens. Otherwise, better than any of the new Star Wars.

to me, that was kind of the point of his character. He was intimidating because of the advanced technology he possessed (which was probably basic for his time - it was a mining ship - but you can't say that ship wasn't intimidating as hell), not because he was some kind of mastermind. He was a miner, running a mining ship.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-11-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #112
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
to me, that was kind of the point of his character. He was intimidating because of the advanced technology he possessed (which was probably basic for his time - it was a mining ship - but you can't say that ship wasn't intimidating as hell), not because he was some kind of mastermind. He was a miner, running a mining ship.
Yeah no, I got the character. Still, Bana as a bad guy, imo, doesn't work. His acting as a whole was pretty terrible in my eyes. I had the same feeling when he played Henry VIII in The Other Boelyn Girl.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #113
Underdog

Quote:
That's what I loved about this villain - he was the perfect one-dimensional Trek baddie (think Star Trek VI's General Chang), thus allowing screentime to dedicate to introducing the main characters in this "reboot"... You can't do "Khan" when you need to devote time to the individual stories of Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov & Scotty, not to mention plot device characters such as Christopher Pike, Sarek, George Kirk and Spock Prime...

Nero was as complex as an origin story needed him to be - the "simpleton" performance of Bana was a portrayal of a blue collar space miner out to avenge the death of his wife and destruction of his home world... Just because the guy wasn't exactly "college material" doesn't mean he couldn't f*ck up a spacetime continuum - it's a perfect juxtaposition to the classic Trek universe...

(is my nerdiness showing yet? Star Trek just officially surpassed my childhood favorite of Star Wars!)

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #114
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yep, no need for the baddie to take up much needed screen time that needed to be devoted to the main characters.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #115
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
That's what I loved about this villain - he was the perfect one-dimensional Trek baddie (think Star Trek VI's General Chang), thus allowing screentime to dedicate to introducing the main characters in this "reboot"... You can't do "Khan" when you need to devote time to the individual stories of Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov & Scotty, not to mention plot device characters such as Christopher Pike, Sarek, George Kirk and Spock Prime...

Nero was as complex as an origin story needed him to be - the "simpleton" performance of Bana was a portrayal of a blue collar space miner out to avenge the death of his wife and destruction of his home world... Just because the guy wasn't exactly "college material" doesn't mean he couldn't f*ck up a spacetime continuum - it's a perfect juxtaposition to the classic Trek universe...

(is my nerdiness showing yet? Star Trek just officially surpassed my childhood favorite of Star Wars!)
Blasphemy!

Once again, I got the character. Bana blew

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Blasphemy!

Once again, I got the character. Bana blew
If that's blasphemy then call me an atheist - Lucas made the prequels about as impressive as Mormonism...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
If that's blasphemy then call me an atheist - Lucas made the prequels about as impressive as Mormonism...

It's funny because it's true.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #118
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I would agree that this movie was better than any of the star wars movies.

The original trilogy had good content, but of course the effects don't come close to measuring up to this movie, just because of the dates.

The prequels had the effects, but the content sucked.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #119
Underdog

Quote:
I would agree that this movie was better than any of the star wars movies.

The original trilogy had good content, but of course the effects don't come close to measuring up to this movie, just because of the dates.

The prequels had the effects, but the content sucked.
The first five minutes of Star Trek were more powerful than the revelation that Vader was Luke's father...

Scoreboard...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #120
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah, the effects are an afterthought.

The characters and the acting..and especially the script was what put this one over the top of Episodes I-III.

Whether or not they can keep it going is another story.

Tags
0..0..0..fluff..0!, fluff long and prosper, fluff me up scotty, got a bit fluffy in here, set phasers to fluff, the fluff of khan, thefluffyonewiththewhales