Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-20-2001, 05:12 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Only the 2nd player to win Rookie of The Year and MVP in the same season.

I think Giambi deserved it more though.

Link

A-Rod finished 6th in the voting.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2001, 07:35 PM   #2
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Ichiro is awsome. I wasnt sold on him until I really started watching him late in the year. He is Fast as hell, has a GUN for an arm, probably the quickest in baseball to first base, and can put the ball almost anywhere he wants to. WOW- he is nice...

not a Griffey- but nice....lol
Old 11-27-2001, 04:48 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

ichiro is overrated..
a great player...but overrated nonetheless
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even think he's a great player. He just plays a style of baseball that is unfamilar to MLB. Next year the scouts will have his profile seet and he will be very average.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 05:25 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i see him being a .310-.320 hitter with a .340-.350 OBP...the average is good but the OBP is very poor for a leadoff hitter..
however, he is good on the basepaths and has an excellent arm...but still overrated
Old 11-27-2001, 05:34 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see him hitting more than 280 when the MLB scouts get through dissecting his game. Proper infield positioning and pitching him correctly will eliminate his ability to get on base, thus his baserunning skills will be useless. Witness how little he contributed in the series against the Yanks.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:10 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

i think he's an above average hitter...well...in regards to average..
you have to remember...mediocre for baseball is .275 or so now..it isn't .250 like it was in murphy's day...
i think he'll be a .310 hitter...but, a deceptive .310 hitter..
little power, not getting on base via the walk much...
that's what he'll turn in to
Old 11-28-2001, 04:52 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

He got all but 1 rookie of the year votes. And the guy that didn't vote for him said he didn't because Ichiro wasn't a true rookie because he played in Japan, but he voted for Ichiro second. A little hippocritical wouldn't you say?
Old 11-28-2001, 08:36 PM   #9
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

He can hit .310 standing on his head!! He will win more batting titles, and maybe even an MVP. I know I know, leadoff hitters dont win MVPs, but the man is good. And im sorry, but no scouting report is going to drop his average that drastically? Please, the scouts knew his weeknesses long ago- the fact is, he doesnt really have any?! He has a short stroke and bat speed- a combo. that you cant do much against!?
Old 11-28-2001, 10:14 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

He can hit .310 standing on his head? Why then did he hit only .222 against the Yankees in the playoffs? Maybe it has something to do with the Yankee organization having the best scouting in baseball. Ichiro also got 4 walks against the Yankees. Doesn't that look like they were pitching him very carefully? That's also something that would be in a scouting report. I think you are discounting the value of a good scouting dept. Maybe it's because you're a Ranger fan and since the Rangers have piss poor scouts and you think every team is the same way. Ichiro has some major adjustments to make now that the Yankees have sorta figured him out - those playoff tapes will be studied by every MLB team. Ichiro will be a decent player in the MLB, but hardly dominant.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:14 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

like i said..i think he'll still hit .310-.320 most years..yes, he might have a season or two where he hits above that..but regardless, he's overrated. he doesn't get on base well for a leadoff hitter ..and yes, he is a slap hitter alot of the time..nothing wrong with it..but he's simply not mvp material
Old 12-04-2001, 07:28 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

He doesnt get on base well for a lead-off hitter?? R U sure about that?

And as far as batting .220 in the NY series, please! One series does NOT make a player. Look at Barry Bonds, he will go down as one of the best EVER..EVER! and he sucks in post season...I dont care if Icharo batted .022 in the NY series. He is still good and will prove it for the next few years to come...JMHO
Old 12-04-2001, 07:39 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

I guess we have different opinions on his ability. Only time will tell who is right (though it's probably me).