Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Concerns with this year's team

Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread but I wanted to dive right back into the thick of things after a lengthy absence from the boards. Now, the only full game I've had the chance to watch this season was Monday's game against the Rockets, I may be judging to quickly, but here's my two cents:

The team still looks about as good as it did last year, injuries aside. It looks like we've definitely got some much-needed front-court depth with Juwan and Bass (I thought we relied on George WAY too much last year) Either way, we shouldn't have to worry about Dirk's minutes being to high. Diop looks fantastic, and I'm really digging Jet's role as the sixth man.

However, and again keep in mind this is only based on one game, the problems that killed us against Golden State and Miami the year before, don't seem to have been fixed at all. Ball movement seems to have improved a bit, but the guards still have trouble getting into the lane. I suppose I can chuck some of that up to Devin being injured, but anyone who has any delusions about JJ being the answer to all of our backcourt problems is sadly mistaken.

Worse yet, it seems just as easy as it was last year for the opposing team to take Dirk out of the game. The guards don't seem to be able to get him the ball when he needs it to save their lives.

Basically I think the team has the same potentially fatal flaws it has had since Nash left; our guard-play is lacking something, and Dirk can still get taken out of the game rather easily. We're still in the championship picture, no doubt. I know we can beat a team like the Spurs again. However, when push comes to shove, when we go up against a team with lots of athletic scorers, I fear the results will still be the same; our guards will be made into total non-factors, and Dirk will be held to 20 points off of 30% shooting while the LeBrons, Wades, or god forbid the Baron Davis' and Steve Nash's of the league will eat us alive.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread but I wanted to dive right back into the thick of things after a lengthy absence from the boards. Now, the only full game I've had the chance to watch this season was Monday's game against the Rockets, I may be judging to quickly, but here's my two cents:

The team still looks about as good as it did last year, injuries aside. It looks like we've definitely got some much-needed front-court depth with Juwan and Bass (I thought we relied on George WAY too much last year) Either way, we shouldn't have to worry about Dirk's minutes being to high. Diop looks fantastic, and I'm really digging Jet's role as the sixth man.

However, and again keep in mind this is only based on one game, the problems that killed us against Golden State and Miami the year before, don't seem to have been fixed at all. Ball movement seems to have improved a bit, but the guards still have trouble getting into the lane. I suppose I can chuck some of that up to Devin being injured, but anyone who has any delusions about JJ being the answer to all of our backcourt problems is sadly mistaken.

Worse yet, it seems just as easy as it was last year for the opposing team to take Dirk out of the game. The guards don't seem to be able to get him the ball when he needs it to save their lives.

Basically I think the team has the same potentially fatal flaws it has had since Nash left; our guard-play is lacking something, and Dirk can still get taken out of the game rather easily. We're still in the championship picture, no doubt. I know we can beat a team like the Spurs again. However, when push comes to shove, when we go up against a team with lots of athletic scorers, I fear the results will still be the same; our guards will be made into total non-factors, and Dirk will be held to 20 points off of 30% shooting while the LeBrons, Wades, or god forbid the Baron Davis' and Steve Nash's of the league will eat us alive.
You could have ended this post after the first paragraph IMO. There's no reason to judge how this team will fare in the playoffs based on one game in November (that they won, incidentally). Plus, you do realize that our starting PG and primary penetrator wasnt even playing in the game you watched?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-07-2007 at 01:40 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The "LeBrons" of the league haven't done squat against us (as proven by "the original" LeBron, himself...)

Maybe you should watch more games before making your assessment...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-07-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
You could have ended this post after the first paragraph IMO. There's no reason to judge how this team will fare in the playoffs based on one game in November (that they won, incidentally).
Well, I was right about those problems after one game last year, and look what happened, so I don't think I'm that far off base.

Quote:
Plus, you do realize that our starting PG and primary penetrator wasnt even playing in the game you watched?
I mentioned it in the post, so yes, I was fully aware of that. And our "primary penetrator" didn't exactly do a lot of penetrating against Miami or Golden State, so unless he significantly improved since April, I'm not too optimistic.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
The "LeBrons" of the league haven't done squat against us (as proven by "the original" LeBron, himself...)

Maybe you should watch more games before making your assessment...
Because we haven't played them in a series yet. But if Dwayne Wade can average 40 a game on us in a series, why should I have any reason to believe that LeBron couldn't do the same. My point is, we still struggle with athletic swingmen.

And really, how many more games do I need to watch? I watched all 82 games last year and our problems were still the same as the year before. Do you really think any move we made in the offseason is going to change that?

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-07-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Devin has significantly improved since April.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I was right about those problems after one game last year, and look what happened, so I don't think I'm that far off base.

I mentioned it in the post, so yes, I was fully aware of that. And our "primary penetrator" didn't exactly do a lot of penetrating against Miami or Golden State, so unless he significantly improved since April, I'm not too optimistic.
Just because you were right once doesn't mean that you have the ability to perceive a team's playoff problems in November. The odds are overwhelmingly slanted in your favor when they say in November "this team has flaws that will prevent them from winning the championship"--after all, the odds of any single team winning the title are low to begin with.

As for Devin, he HAS improved a lot. If you had watched the first game and a half you would have seen that. Also, it's a bit off base to compare the past 2 years, when he wasnt the starting PG, to now. Honestly, I'm not sure what makes you think you should be able to imply that he hasn't improved a lot when you admittedly haven't even seen him play.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-07-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And really, how many more games do I need to watch? I watched all 82 games last year and our problems were still the same as the year before? Do you really think any move we made in the offseason is going to change that?
Uh, yes. Eddie Jones and Trenton Hassell are both better defenders than anyone we had on this team last year, and they're not as much of a liability on defense.

And Paul Westphall has made huge changes to the way this team plays offense. Watch a few more games, you'll see it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Devin has significantly improved since April.
I feel better already.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I feel better already.
Well...he has. I mean what more do you want from me? I watched the entire preseason (that I could) and all four games of the regular season.

You can see clear improvement in Devin's game, and his confidence level is incredibly high now that this team and committed to him as the PG.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well...he has. I mean what more do you want from me? I watched the entire preseason (that I could) and all four games of the regular season.

You can see clear improvement in Devin's game, and his confidence level is incredibly high now that this team and committed to him as the PG.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. The guy who hasn't seen Devin play this year obviously knows more than you, me, or anyone else about whether he has improved.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-07-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Just because you were right once doesn't mean that you have the ability to perceive a team's playoff problems in November. The odds are overwhelmingly slanted in your favor when they say in November "this team has flaws that will prevent them from winning the championship"--after all, the odds of any single team winning the title are low to begin with.
First of all, I never said this teams flaws will prevent them from winning. Jesus, the title of the thread was "Concerns with this years team." Concerns... nothing more. And I wasn't just "right once." I've been right for the past three years.

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure what makes you think you should be able to imply that he hasn't improved a lot when you admittedly haven't even seen him play.
Never said he hasn't.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
LonghornDub

Quote:
First of all, I never said this teams flaws will prevent them from winning. Jesus, the title of the thread was "Concerns with this years team." Concerns... nothing more. And I wasn't just "right once." I've been right for the past three years.
I don't think your concerns on the team are valid when you've seen one out of the first four games.

Quote:
Never said he hasn't.
Really? That's intersting. Cause you did say this--

Quote:

Basically I think the team has the same potentially fatal flaws it has had since Nash left; our guard-play is lacking something
You're making assertions that are wholly dependent on the assumption that Devin has not significantly improved. I'd say, by implication, that achieves about the same effect as explicitly saying that he hasn't improved.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. The guy who hasn't seen Devin play this year obviously knows more than you, me, or anyone else about whether he has improved.
Jesus, dude, chill out. I never once said Devin hasn't improved. I'm simply reluctant to believe that since April, he's become the answer to the problems that killed us against Golden State and Miami. Nor did I even say that this team was doomed to fail. And I sure as hell never pretended to be clairvoyant or even know more than you or anyone else about this team.

People, read the title of the thread again. Concerns people. That's it. Concerns. Nothing more. This was basically my preseason thread. Chill.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I don't think your concerns on the team are valid when you've seen one out of the first four games.
My concerns would be valid if I hadn't seen one second of any game. Everyone has concerns during the offseason, and during preseason. That's what these are for me.

Quote:
You're making assertions that are wholly dependent on the assumption that Devin has not significantly improved. I'd say, by implication, that achieves about the same effect as explicitly saying that he hasn't improved.
Fair enough. All I'm saying is, these the areas we need to work on through the season; dribble penetration, and getting Dirk the ball. Same shit from last year.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
LonghornDub

Quote:
Jesus, dude, chill out. I never once said Devin hasn't improved. I'm simply reluctant to believe that since April, he's become the answer to the problems that killed us against Golden State and Miami. Nor did I even say that this team was doomed to fail. And I sure as hell never pretended to be clairvoyant or even know more than you or anyone else about this team.

People, read the title of the thread again. Concerns people. That's it. Concerns. Nothing more. This was basically my preseason thread. Chill.
I'm quite "chill", thank you. In fact, I never claimed that you actually said Devin hasn't improved--but you sure as hell implied it. Your entire original post is essentially implicit on such an assumption.

As for voicing your concerns, you're obviously more than welcome. I'm just voicing my rebuttal to your concerns. And personally I think you should wait until you've had a bit more time to digest this year's team before you start organizing and articulating your concerns. But that's just me.

And for what it's worth, I'm not attacking you. Just your concerns.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-07-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Concerns:

problems with athletic swingmen: Truly, the Mavs held Lebron James to the worst game of his career. When the Mavs were asked about it later, they humbly said he missed a lot of shots. "He had shots, but missed them" was I believe the basic idea in the quotes. I'm worried about the Denver Nuggets, where you have to shut down the point guard and swingman/small forward. Lets also wait and see what happens when we face Kobe and Wade. I'm hopeful that the Mavs have defenders now in Hassel and Jones (added to JHo). But, I view it as too soon to be sure.

problems with penetration: in my opinion, the problem with the Mavs offense is the lack of a scoring center. Diop is doing worlds better than the previous years of his career. Damp did better last year and may have improved more but we don't know because he is injured. I don't know if JuHo is going to give us anything. Bass is fun and may make a difference against some teams but he isn't going to be the center against Yao or Shaq or several other true centers. The reason the Mavs can't seem to penetrate is because the defense can ignore the post men and focus on the guards. Generally, even Dirk is playing like a guard or SF. So, if the whole defense is focusing on the perimeter action and the big men ca't punish that, then there is your problem. True, you could fix that with the miracle of a Steve Nash. But, few other guards do what Nash does. If the Dallas offense is going to look better, it will because they develop more offense in the low post. Dirk's best post up game is the high post which again is in the category of issues a defense can regard as the perimeter game.

So, I actually agree with the thread's author. I don't view us as a forlorn loss. But, I am watching anxiously to see what happens as we face more skilled 2,3 guards/forwards and to see how our centers/PF's play closer to the basket.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I'll back the spiral up. I thought some of the same things and hey, it's either discuss this or go back to work.

I do think that Dirk has flaws to his game that make him stoppable. He can't play the post well enough to beat bigger players and he's not fast enough to get around smaller players. You have to take advantage of mismatches with him, which takes good offensive coaching, which has certainly not been Avery's strength. For long stretches of the game, particularly with Stack and Jet in there, we were doing nothing but isolation plays.

There were times that we just lacked the ability to slow down McGrady.

However. . .
Dirk is far from being an offensive liability. We do have much better offenses this year. During the Houston game when I was thinking "too much isolation," they did some substitution, and they made the adjustments with different offensive looks.

They also made some adjustments by going to a zone and using Howard to guard McGrady at the point - 2 turnovers. And let's face it. Who doesn't lack the ability to slow down McGrady sometimes.

In the end, we won the game off great defense, and solid offensive execution. Yes, Houston did score some points on us. It happens every game. THey had some runs on us. Happens every game. But it seemed to me that no matter how good it looked like Houston was doing, we never seem to fall very far behind. This Mavs team puts constant offensive pressure on the opponent, much better than they did last year.

In the end, if the Houston game was the only game I saw this year (and it was), I would be pretty encouraged by our chances. We pretty much owned the 4th quarter. We owned Yao. We own the rockets.

Last edited by jacktruth; 11-07-2007 at 02:20 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think the main concern we should have above all else if the start of the year is any indication is being completely healthy. I wish we could what this team looks like at full strength. Howard, Harris, Dampier, George, Bass... I mean really what more can you say? We haven't seen 3 of our top 5 guys (if you count Damp) in the rotation together. If this team is 100% come playoff time i'll be happy.

Last edited by Tokey41; 11-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I think the main concern we should have above all else if the start of the year is any indication is being completely healthy. I wish we could what this team looks like at full strength. Howard, Harris, Dampier, George, Bass... I mean really what more can you say? We haven't seen 3 of our top 5 guys (if you count Damp) in the rotation together. If this team is 100% come playoff time i'll be happy.
Agreed. The injuries are scaring the crap out of me.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am choosing to ignore all concerns for now.

That being said, time will tell on some of spiral's points. Thursday will give us a little bit of insight.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed. The injuries are scaring the crap out of me.
Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about Josh's ankle? or how Bass is doing? It's too early in the year for them to be all banged up like this.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #23
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about Josh's ankle? or how Bass is doing? It's too early in the year for them to be all banged up like this.
According to the DMN--Josh , Bass, and EJ are day-to-day with their ankles. Devin is probable for Thursday.

Quote:
The Mavericks don't know if they will have Brandon Bass (left ankle), Josh Howard (right ankle) or Eddie Jones (right ankle) for the Golden State game.

All three were listed as day-to-day and did not practice Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Devin Harris went through the full practice and is probable against the Warriors. Erick Dampier also went through a full practice for the first time. Coach Avery Johnson said the team will see how Dampier recovers from his first full-scale scrimmage. The 6-11 center still has no firm timetable for his return.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.35efc2c.html

Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned the Mavs are too awesome.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #25
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The fact Diop actually can catch the ball is a thing of beauty. Diop had no fouls against Yao Ming, foul trouble hurt him last year. Diop is probably our most dynamic lowpost defender.

Devin Harris , I haven't seen enough of him to draw a conclusion. The fact that Barrea goes from benchwarmer to contributor is remarkable. The guy is in only his second year in the league.

Juwan Howard can spare us to death again. I guess he can hit the open eighteen footer.

I am excited about Trenton Hassell making open jumpshots from the perimeter. Finally a good defender opposite of Josh who can hit the open 18 footer.

I think the game is still all about match-ups. A rematch with the defending champs is still in our favor.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #26
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MavsX; 11-07-2007 at 03:31 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Things are going pretty well for us.

JJB and Bass come from nowhere to become semi-rotation players.
Juwan hopped on board a tick before midnight. Should be better than Cro at the least.
Dirk is passing well. Will help with double-teams moving forward.
Diop is finishing, catching the ball and staying out of foul trouble.
JET has taken to his 6th man role without grumps and is excelling. Take that, Manu!
Josh looks better than ever.
Devin is playing with confidence, a bonafide j and leading things on the court.
Hassell and Jones have yet to have 'big' games but are still able to contribute without the flash.
Avery is backing off a bit and staying true to plans despite injuries and additions.

Athletic teams like Atlanta still pose a problem but I'll wait until our injuries heal and our new guys finishing gelling before I get concerned.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

My biggest concern is that it's still... NAH-VEM-BUR!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #29
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I'm concerned the Mavs are too awesome.

Yeah, that worries me too...

Maybe we should let BronBron score some more points or allow Houston to win when we're short-handed due to injuries? Or maybe we can just give up on winning sloppy so we can look flawless by always winning pretty (and just ignore the losses)? Maybe we could be more like Golden State, Denver, or Phoenix so people will watch our flash & forget about our constant shortcomings in the post-season? Or maybe we can lose to the Spurs like everyone else in the league?

Just some suggestions to make the Mavs live down to everyone's expectations...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-07-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Our 10.0 MOV is what's bothering me.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #31
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

The Houston game was definitely not the best out of our backcourt. Jet saved us. Devin was for sure missed. You could say JJB played like Nash against the Kings but like Ager who didn't know what to do on the court against Houston. For four games, I'm basically fine with what you've concerned. Dunno if I'm a little optimistic...
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #32
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas will win a solid 59+ games this year, so don't worry about us during months November - April.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Spiral never said anything about the Mavs having an off year. He noted we would probably win over 60 games again. His whole post was about what might happen in the playoffs again if we don't fix a few things. There have been several posts that seem to have entirely lost that focus.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs seem to have made steps to try and address some of the issues they had, it'll take a while to see how it pans out. If Jason or Josh had shot better (or more) in the second half of the GSW series I expect we'd have won that one as well.

If the mavs continue to work on zones that will help as well. We already have a better scoring diop(much more aggressive). We've resolved the small back court by making Jason the sixth man instead of starting.

I don't think Eddie Jones/Trenton Hassell are tremendous upgrades over buckner but Hassell does look stronger and doesn't only sit out and shoot threes. Eddie had better get his shot back or he'll be inactive most of the time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #35
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I'm getting the feeling that this post might not have been the best option for you.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #36
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Wild Horses!!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #37
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Spiral, from what I've seen the Mavs have made tremendous changes this season, even though on the surface they look like very much the same team.

Your opinion telling us they haven't changed and therefore won't change, without having actually watched to see what indeed they are doing, is silly. With only a brief glance, how would you know? And one should watch multiple games before opining on trends and attempted change, in my opinion.

I can name you a ton of significant changes that already showing up, and based on what we are already seeing there's no reason to think there won't be even more as the season goes along. Others here have already noted quite a few of those for you. And keep in mind you don't want to change everything - a team that wins 67 has a lot of things they should rightfully retain. Frankly, I've been positively impressed so far with the amount of positive change that has obviously been initiated.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #38
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Spiral, I can understand your points. I do agree that the Mavs are still potentially "Fatally Flawed". BUT, on the other hand, I clearly see Dirk improving in the box. I am liking what I see with Dirk in the low post. By the time the playoffs come, Dirk should be pretty potent in the lane. Second, Diop has improved greatly in the low post as well.

If I add those two things up, then I am very optimistic about our chances. I also think that Hassel and EJ is also what we needed on defense. I really like what they bring to the defensive side. Both of them are very physical and have experience.

If Harris keeps improving, then Diop will average a double, double this season. I never thought I would say that, but Diop also MAYBE the most improved player on the team. This all makes me very excited about the season.

My real concern that I pointed out that I wanted to keep an eye on was the opponent scoring average. I would like the opponent score to come down to about 90pts a game. Defense wins titles, so I would like to see more consistent defense to keep scores low. Right now, our offense is mainly outscoring the other team.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Spiral, from what I've seen the Mavs have made tremendous changes this season, even though on the surface they look like very much the same team.

Your opinion telling us they haven't changed and therefore won't change, without having actually watched to see what indeed they are doing, is silly. With only a brief glance, how would you know? And one should watch multiple games before opining on trends and attempted change, in my opinion.

I can name you a ton of significant changes that already showing up, and based on what we are already seeing there's no reason to think there won't be even more as the season goes along. Others here have already noted quite a few of those for you. And keep in mind you don't want to change everything - a team that wins 67 has a lot of things they should rightfully retain. Frankly, I've been positively impressed so far with the amount of positive change that has obviously been initiated.
David, your enthusiasm is admirable...but no one ever mistook you for being objective when it comes to the Mavs.

You occasionally struggle to make a consistent argument even in one post, or article as it were. Here you say that the Mavs "have made tremendous changes" and that you can name "a ton of significant changes" yourself. Yet at the same time you cover all the bases by suggesting that a 67-win team doesn't want "to change everything" and has "a lot of things they should rightfully retain." Which is it? Tremendous and significant changes, or retaining a lot of what they are?

It is reminiscent of the way you treated the idea that the Mavs struggle against fast teams. You decided to chalk Golden State's dominance up to some other (unstated) factor and leave them out of the discussion. But what happened in the end? The Mavs struggled against a fast team.

I don't really wish to join the specifics of Spiral's argument, because I feel that we haven't seen near enough to know yet. But at the same time, watching just the Houston game is probably good enough to form some opinions, at least early ones. None of the other games--yes, even Cleveland--were near as interesting a matchup. Yes, we have guys out injured, that's true. But you can still learn something about a team even when one or two or their top eight or nine is out.

I guess I'd like to see you detail the "ton of significant changes" you already see showing up. I think that would further the discussion, much more so than telling Spiral he can't see anything himself from one game--the most telling one, at that.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #40
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

You know who showed great inside scoring during three series of the 2006 playoffs? Dirk. It didn't last. But I guess if he can't take the beating in the paint i'd rather Dirk just be Dirk, especially if Diop can keep scoring points (I was literally at a loss for words when I saw this) and Bass develops.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote